A Discussion on the Ethics of Photo References in Illustrated Stories

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

A Discussion on the Ethics of Photo References in Illustrated Stories

Post by TomYi »

Whew, okay. This is a topic that I've admittedly avoided for a long time because I genuinely don't know the answers to these questions, and I have an awful lot hanging on how you guys respond.

I'll start by coming clean. As you probably know, I like to use photo references for the fictional characters (among other things) in my stories. The photos I use to do this are not my property, I don't ask the models for permission to use their image, and I am well aware that this practice is harmful if left unchecked.

That is why I have self-imposed rules to try and mitigate the damage I may be causing. My rules are as follows:
  • Never use the photos to make a profit.
  • Only use models that not only knew that the whole world could see their picture, but were likely counting on it. (Hence why I rely on Instagram influencers, actors, or actual models. I have never stolen a random person's profile picture off of social media, nor will I ever.)
  • Do not use household names (this one is mostly so that I don't get anyone in the comments calling out my use of Beyonce or JLaw, etc)
  • If anyone involved in the creation of the original photos contacts me and tells me to take them down, do so immediately.

Do these rules make my practice morally permissible? I like to think so, but I guess that's not really my call to make. That's why I've made this topic. And just as a reminder: we're NOT here to discuss whether or not illustrated stories are cool. There's already a topic for that. https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... res#p41250

Moving along: If it is determined that what I'm doing is wrong, then I have found an alternative that I believe to be 100% ethical. You see, the two people you see below do not exist.

Image Image

They are 'deep fakes'. Computer-generated fabrications. And yes, I know that's kinda scary, but that is also a topic for another time. Here's an article on how they work if you're interested: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... faces.html

So then, if I already have a safe alternative, why aren't I using it? Well yes, they do have the advantage of being 100% ethical AND original, but they also have their downsides.
  • They only feature close-ups of the face.
    Any body features, poses, apparel, or other details you may have wanted to include are simply not there. My characters will be reduced to nothing but a single mugshot.
  • The deep fakes don't always generate the ideal model.
    I typically put a good amount of work into finding an image that not only looks beautiful but fits my story as best as it can. With the deep fakes, I'm forced to just refresh the page over and over until I see someone I like. They likely won't be as beautiful or distinct as they would be if I could pull from other sources. I've also noticed that the vast majority of faces these programs generate are middle-aged caucasians. Other ages and races can pop up given enough attempts, but if you want to use deep fakes for a story featuring a black 20-year-old, good luck.
  • The deep fakes can't really generate hats, earrings or hair accessories. Like, at all.

Also, the backgrounds tend to be horrifically distorted (if they aren't already blurred out).

So... that's where I'm at. I welcome all feedback on this subject. Let's hear what you guys have to say?
Last edited by TomYi 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Hello my friend,
I think you've resumed everything nicely, and I don't have anything particularly astute to add.

When it comes to character photos, I follow the same regimen or rules you do.
Props for writing them down and posting them on here, btw.

TomYi wrote: 3 years ago That is why I have self-imposed rules to try and mitigate the damage I may be causing. My rules are as follows:
  • Never use the photos to make a profit.
  • Only use models that not only knew that the whole world could see their picture, but were likely counting on it. (Hence why I rely on Instagram influencers, actors, or actual models. I have never stolen a random person's profile picture off of social media, nor will I ever.)
  • Do not use household names (this one is mostly so that I don't get anyone in the comments calling out my use of Beyonce or JLaw, etc)
  • If anyone involved in the creation of the original photos contacts me and tells me to take them down, do so immediately.
The face-generator app is a great way to illustrate a short story, and IMO, would work wonders for a banner format (like the ones you and I are currently using). I'll probably be using it in the near future, so thanks to you and [mention]Stoutland395[/mention] for bringing this to our attention.

There is a major advantage of using a known model's photos though, especially for longer sagas.
For example, the models in my banner are all known to me by name, which allows me to dig up additional photos of each of them and use accordingly. I believe this is something [mention]Bandit666[/mention] is also well versed in doing, notably for tales like "I couldn't believe my luck (M/F).

All in all, I believe the face-generator is a wonderful tool.
I'll definitely try using it at some point down the road.

*P.s- Photos of children (-18) are still not permitted on here even if created through the face-generating app.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Bandit666
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Bandit666 »

Yes. I can indeed say that I regularly speak to Jackie. The model featured in my story and also communicate with the producers and/or the models featured in all other tales posted here. Which means I can gratefully thank all those involved for granting me permission to use their images. Something which I. At times feel very humbled by. As it has become a feature of my stories. As you’ll all soon get to see when my new series of short stories are posted.

Bandit666
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I would add a plea to credit any photographs/artworks that are used, at least the immediate source even if the original can not be traced.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
ChiDrag221
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by ChiDrag221 »

I think those are all reasonable expectations and I don't see many good reasons why they should not be adhered to. For photos of people's feet, something that happens here and there, I have seen the photos referenced in other parts of the internet, but almost always public access or fair use. There was only one time I saw the same photo paywalled behind an onlyfans, but how much it 'escaped' onto the rest of the web is uncertain.
zora963

Post by zora963 »

I think the only way I'd feel comfortable doing it is if I were in the boat [mention]Bandit666[/mention] was in, where the photo subject was aware. Something feels off even around using actors, influencers, or models. I most prefer using bondage pics from studios/fetish accounts if I would use a pic at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic