How should I write positive feedback for stories, when I know that I will not continue reading?

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

How should I write positive feedback for stories, when I know that I will not continue reading?

Post by FelixSH »

Sorry for the long title, I wasn't sure how to phrase the question differently.

Sometimes I find stories here that I find well done, but that are also not to my taste. That's on me, my taste is pretty specific. I want to write some feedback, but I also don't want to make it seem like I will continue reading. Without making the author think that I disliked their work, when it is just not what I'm into?

In this case, would it make sense to tell the author something like "I found the first chapter well done, for ... reason. But, as I'm not into this type of story, I will probably not continue reading. Please don't feel discouraged, it's just not my type of story. It is still well done"?

Or just a simple "Nice story."?

It just makes me feel bad, telling someone that I enjoy what I read, when I don't intend to continue reading. Like I promise something (to read the next part, in this case), and then not follow through with it. But I also feel bad for not telling the author that I like what is there.

Provided by bondagefreak
Click on the banner to get to the story

For more of my stories, click here.
DeeperThanRed
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by DeeperThanRed »

I don't think you're obliged to give feedback to or follow a work you're simply not interested in.

Most authors appreciate even the smallest feedback so dropping a short "cool story" or "I liked this" would be a nice way to support them without forcing yourself. "Not my thing but still nicely written" also works.

I'd say don't bring up how you'll not keep reading. Even if it's not your intention, it might come off the wrong way. At least, that how I feel.
25-year-old bondage enthusiast who likes cute guys, underwear, and bondage, preferably together.

You can reach my list of written work here: https://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38808#p38808
Sniffmyfeet
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Sniffmyfeet »

I think that what you gave as an example would be totally acceptable! It's nice when a story ticks all your boxes, but when that's not the case, I think that you can be honest about that. A good author knows that not everyone likes the same things. I sometimes leave comments like "I really liked A. You wrote nicely about B. C is out of my comfort zone though. But still, I liked chapter 1 and 2 because of A and B." The author then usually knows I will not return to that story (without me stating this explicitly), because element C is the thing that plays a central role in the parts that follow.

A pump jack is called a "jaknikker" in Dutch (literally translated: yes nodder). There's a saying in Dutch that says you should not be a "jaknikker": you should not just say yes to please others or because all others are saying yes. It's the same with feedback: even if everyone else is entirely positive about a story, feel free to disagree and to elucidate why you liked certain parts and didn't like others.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Hello, my friend.
Definitely an interesting question you bring up here.
DeeperThanRed wrote: 3 years ago I don't think you're obliged to give feedback to or follow a work you're simply not interested in.
I agree with DeeperThanRed.
Though admittedly I don't feel too strongly about it.

There's no reason to force yourself to give reviews.
I normally don't review stuff when it doesn't float my boat, but there are some times where I've deemed fit to provide positive feedback to stories (usually F/M, F/F) that I knew I wasn't gonna follow too closely.

In all honesty, I don't think you'll find a "you should/you should not" answer to this type of question.
Pretty much comes down as a personal thing, not to mention a case by case scenario.

I've had regular readers like [mention]Pup[/mention] and [mention]Sniffmyfeet[/mention] alert me to the fact that while a certain story of mine is well written, the content doesn't tickle their fancy. This is usually the case when I write tales revolving around father/son bondage.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day, you should feel confident in whatever review you write.
Be honest in your comment. Any receptive author would be thrilled to receive a compliment or two from a reader that's reading something out of his usual comfort zone or interest, even if said reader doesn't plan on following the rest.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

What [mention]DeeperThanRed[/mention] said.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

Thanks for the answers, everyone, they were very helpful.

Just for the record, I don't intend to force myself to read something I'm not interested in. But sometimes, I stumble on a story, find the beginning interesting and well written, but find out pretty soon that it just isn't for me. That's a case where I just want to give feedback, because I want the writer to know that, yes, this is good, even if it's not for me.

But I have an idea now, how to approach such stories. Thanks again. :)

Provided by bondagefreak

banshee
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by banshee »

You're not obliged to reply to anything but if you feel like it leaving a "nice story" is enough if you're feeling like it you can even comment about some aspects that you likes about the story. I assure you authors appreciate every single comment, especially since this is a bump based site.
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

As a writer who receives few comments, I must say it's always enjoyable to read even the shortest comment, like "Nice story" or 'Well written". Something is usually better than nothing. However if the story doesn't ring your bells, you're certainly under no obligation (or even expectation) to comment. The comments are also helpful in letting an author know what does and doesn't resonate with readers, so NOT commenting on something sends a message too.

Bottom line: if something ticks some of your boxes, even just a few, please take a moment and let the author know. It really does help keep the stories coming.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

MaxRoper wrote: 3 years ago As a writer who receives few comments, I must say it's always enjoyable to read even the shortest comment, like "Nice story" or 'Well written". Something is usually better than nothing. However if the story doesn't ring your bells, you're certainly under no obligation (or even expectation) to comment. The comments are also helpful in letting an author know what does and doesn't resonate with readers, so NOT commenting on something sends a message too.

Bottom line: if something ticks some of your boxes, even just a few, please take a moment and let the author know. It really does help keep the stories coming.
Superbly put, I am in the same position and I see few comments. It is always a lift when someone takes the time to say something, even something as short as 'good job'.

If you read a story and something in it resonates, the author will appreciate you saying so, even if it is a case that the story as a whole was not for you.

Bottom line, if you want to comment, go for it, but don't feel you are obligated to do so.
View my latest story, Revelation, here;

https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8719

To view it's prequel Devastation, please click below;
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7458
Arkane
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Arkane »

In case you read a story that "should" be of interest to you because you usually like the story's fetish elements, but still, for some reason, you don't like it, maybe there's something in the way the story is written.

In this case, I think you could (should) give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (for example, not a bad story but too short, too long, bad grammar, whatever...).
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Whilst I agree with [mention]Arkane[/mention], I am inclined to remind readers of the enjoinder to "Support in public, criticise in private". A pm can be valued as a supportive gesture as long as it is written in supportive language. Well, it has been by me on several occasions.
Arkane
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Arkane »

Xtc wrote: 3 years ago Whilst I agree with @Arkane, I am inclined to remind readers of the enjoinder to "Support in public, criticise in private"
Well, it's true. We live in a time of flame wars. What should be a well meaning debate on the ways to make a story better could easily escalate to something completely different, in case of a misunderstanding....
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I think we agree.
Blessed be, [mention]Arkane[/mention]
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

Thanks for the additional input, everyone.

Arkane, I'm glad you brought up the topic of constructive feedback. I find that an interesting topic, because, even via PM, it's never clear if you might hurt a potential, future author by giving unasked feedback.

Of course, as an author (or artist of any kind), you should treasure negative feedback, as long as it is constructive and explained in a respectful manner. But, especially when you are just starting out (like I expect many people here do), you might take it the wrong way. Just because putting something out there, anything, is a really scary thought, and our culture likes to make fun of anything artistic, that doesn't fit the high standards of books, movies, etc. that is actually sold and makes money.

Uh, anyway, sorry for the small rant, that stuff is a pet pieve of mine, because I find it sad how often people are taking down for being brave enough to open themselves up in front of other people. I just wished we had a higher appreciation for the arts in general.

But, to make this not completely off-topic, I like that this forum is, in some way, a save space for people to practice writing, because you likely get at least one or two positive comments, and negativity is rarely to be seen. I'm glad it exists.

Provided by bondagefreak

KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

Thank you [mention]MaxRoper[/mention], [mention]Arkane[/mention], and [mention]wolfman[/mention]!

As a writer, I welcome feedback.

Just be respectful and put a positive spin on it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic