Beginner writer looking for some advice.

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Koncrete
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Beginner writer looking for some advice.

Post by Koncrete »

After countless years on this site and the old one and reading many stories that tickled my fancy I think I'm finally starting to get the itch to write a few short stories of my own. I've never really written short stories since I was in School so I was wondering if anybody had some advice on where I should start.

Should I start with a PG story or just dive straight into NSFW content? Any tips on formatting, grammar etc. Idk how much I'll be writing but I really want to contribute something of my own even if it's not much.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Koncrete[/mention] I believe you'll find these articles quite useful.

STORY AUTHORS: HOW TO GET MORE READS & REVIEWS

HELPFUL ADVICE FOR AUTHOR'S WHO HAVE ENGLISH AS A 2ND OR 3RD LANGUAGE
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

Personally, I think having fun with writing is the most important thing. Write for yourself, something that you enjoy writing and would like to read yourself, and don't worry about it being good, at least at the start. Quality come with time, anyway, and you will produce better stories, if you have fun doing so. Maybe that's me, but I find it takes fun away, if I focus too much on writing good.

That said, check the threads out thar bondagefreak posted. Just don't focus too much on this, just keep it in mind.

Regarding PG or NSFW: Which type of stories do you enjoy more? That's what you will likely have more fun with. But just write what tickles you more.

I'd suggest, to think of a story that you would like to read, but doesn't exist yet. Than write that. Or maybe there is a story you like on here, that you would like to give your own spin. The important thing is to just start, the rest will work itself out.

Provided by bondagefreak
Click on the banner to get to the story

For more of my stories, click here.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Write what YOU want to write and make sure you know something about your setting.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
sami200456boyfriend
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by sami200456boyfriend »

Write anything you like you have the power
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

Write about what you know. If you write about what you don't know, it will show.

Spell Check and Grammarly are your friends. Use them. But remember that Spell Check will not catch homonyms, as in to, too, and two." Have your work proofread prior to posting.

By posting a story, you invite comment, both positive and negative. Don't get upset if a story gets panned.

Drawscore
NotSeen
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by NotSeen »

The most important advice is: WRITE. There's an adage that gets thrown around in writer circles "you have to write a million bad words before you find the good ones". Now, don't take that literally - but the point is the more you write the better you get. But you have to start writing to get better.

If you don't feel like a story turned out good on the first try, by all means re-write it. Even if you end up scrapping large parts of it during the re-write, it's not wasted effort. At best, the stuff you end up leaving out will make the remaining story better. At worst, it's still practice.

We all started somewhere and nobody got good at writing overnight. But the journey there can be a lot of fun.
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TomYi »

Koncrete wrote: 2 years ago Idk how much I'll be writing but I really want to contribute something of my own even if it's not much.
Even if you find that writing isn't your forte, comments are still a valued contribution.

However, since you wanna write, I'd advise you to reread and revise your work multiple times before posting it. For a really serious project, I'd recommend that you do at least four revisions.

Hindsight is 20/20, and each revision is hindsight. The more times you revise, the more imperfections you'll be able to spot and fix. (And there will always be something to improve.)

The trick is to wait quite a while in between each revision. That will allow you to clear your mind and come back with a clean slate. A revision is no good if your mind's cluttered.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Koncrete[/mention]
You've remained silent so far. Have any of our replies proven informative or useful at all?
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic