Writers Block

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Writers Block

Post by TayDay95 »

Any of the other authors have tips for dealing with writers block? I know we all experience and deal with these things in different ways so I figure maybe some different perspectives mightn't hurt 🙂
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]TayDay95[/mention]
I don't suffer from Writer's Block, though I do very much "suffer" from a different type of Writer's Ailment. But I'm pretty sure one of the best ways to deal with a Block is not to "force" your way out of it. Let the ideas come to you in a natural manner, don't try to force them.

I've often found that ideas come to me more vividly late at night or very early in the morning, which actually makes sense considering there are fewer distractions to boggle your mind down at those times. Try not to see this downtime as a "Writer's Block". Instead, see it as an opportunity to recharge your creative battery.

You'll come out of it with a ton of great ideas.
You always have.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

[mention]bondagefreak[/mention] Yeah that makes sense about late nights and early mornings, I've often found the same thing in the past haha.

What I'm experiencing is like, I know what I want to write because it's all planned out but I just struggle to actually put it into the words I want on the screen you know?

But like you said I'll try not to force it and I really appreciate this advice, thanks a bunch mate 😊
RopeBunny
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by RopeBunny »

TayDay95 wrote: 2 years ago What I'm experiencing is like, I know what I want to write because it's all planned out but I just struggle to actually put it into the words I want on the screen you know?
Writers block is mostly this for me too. I know the gist of what needs to come next, know at least some of the words, some of the flow, but for whatever reason I can't make the translation/jump from my head to my screen.

What helps me is: I use my email drafts folder to write. I compose an email (with no sender filled in) which is the latest chapter to whatever story I'm on. When finished it's a simple enough proccess to copy and paste across to the site here.

The benefit of using my email is that, because it's on my phone, I have access to my writing at ALL times. At work, at home. It helps with my own blocks that, as soon as I do feel back in the zone, I can pick the story back up and go for it.

I hope that helps some, even if only to point out you aren't the only one.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Mabe not a lot of use but here's what I do once I have an idea of how things MIGHT go:
Go for a walk, one that I repeat quite often.
Start dictating to myself (probably don't do it out loud!)
As things start to develop, each passage becomes attached to a certain stage of the walk.
After a few repetitions, I am usually fit to start writing.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

[mention]RopeBunny[/mention] it is kinda reassuring to know it's not just me haha thank you.

I've written quite a few stories on my phone too, it's so convenient when I'm nowhere near my laptop haha.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

[mention]Xtc[/mention] I just might try this, I've been told I should go for more walks anyway lol.

Thanks mate you're a gem 🙂
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I hope it works for you.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
emily-a
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by emily-a »

If I had a cure for writer´s block, I would patent it.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

[mention]emily-a[/mention] you and me both 😂
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

There are moments in a story where you go like 'what now?'. How do I get form where I am to where I want to be. To me, that is as about as bad as writers block I am getting, mostly because I do not plan out my stories much. I have an idea of where I want to story to go and that's about it. I just start writing and most often, things flow. If not, I'll come back tomorrow. Writing this way is kind of weird, as I have no idea what the characters will be doing tomorrow. I just know what is happening now to them and that is my story. Sometimes that means I end up with 2 (or sometimes more) chapters for a particular scene, sometimes it ends in one. Most of chapters are 3 to 5 pages of text (standard letter/A4 size paper) in Word.

Bottom line, walk away and come back at a later time.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
Boocola
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Boocola »

Used to have writers block, no idea what to write on this site still don't, but when I wanted to write a story I would get into some role plays on this site with different users mostly women. Got this one idea for a story a while ago, but I have no time. Like this last story I wrote here it's all jumbled up, I'm trying to fix it.

To fix my writer's block I wrote a three page script with my friend back in the late 90's early 2000's like role playing.

Another way to deal with writer's block is creating that character in a video game, so every time you use that character you will think of the story you want to write and how you want to write it.
SNAFU
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

I also suffer from this and can epathise with many of the other thoughts on this thread. Especially when there are other pressures or things going on in life and you simply dont get the time. When you do it can be hard to get back in the right groove for where the story was heading.

Some ideas i know the type of direction i want it to head in and what is supposed to happen but end up either getting bored with it or just overthink what steps in the plot to take in order to get to the next stage.

I haven't found too much of a solution for it yet. Sometimes you suddenly think of an idea for an existing story and you can jump back into it but other than that i guess its to try not to rush a response for the sake of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic