Best way to start a collection?

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
ellanola
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Best way to start a collection?

Post by ellanola »

I would like to start a collection of TUG vids & pics to preserve, but I'm not sure what the best way is to store them. Eventually my storage would run out on my computer, so is there any websites where I could store a large amount?
I know that [mention]SolidSnickerdoodle[/mention] has a large collection, so maybe they could help me find out. Also what's the easiest way to save videos from youtube? Thanks!
Nexus
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nexus »

It can get a little costly, but I keep my collection on USB sticks. The ones I get store 32 Gigs and usually cost around $20-$30. Before that I burned DVD's, but I forget the storage limits of them.

I wouldn't mind hearing a way to save videos from YouTube, or more specifically boundhub. Loooots of vids I'd love to have on there.
Steak in a Tree
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Steak in a Tree »

Agreed, boundhub is a treasure trove of excellent videos(if you don't mind wading through the nsfw content). I too wouldn't mind knowing how to save videos from there.
SolidSnickerdoodle

Post by SolidSnickerdoodle »

Last edited by SolidSnickerdoodle 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

First, never keep anything on your computer's hard drive that you don't want found.

The USB stick or thumb drives, or the external hard drives, are the way to go. In the stores, it will be difficult to find any that are less than 32 gigs, but you can get smaller capacity (1, 2, 4, 8, 16 gigs) on eBay, and for a lot less. My collection is on several USB drives, divided into several categories, like 'Drawings and illustrations," "Comic books," "Vidcaps," and so on. I've found that 2 gig drives are sufficient, and all combined, they'd probably all fit on a 4 gig drive, and with room to spare.

One other thing: USB drives occasionally get corrupted, so make at least one backup, maybe two.

I don't have any videos, but making vidcaps when the dvd player is slowed down, are almost as good.

Drawscore
RKOJason03
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by RKOJason03 »

You can also use google drive. It gives a good amount of storage.
Jason Gines
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Great post from [mention]SolidSnickerdoodle[/mention] . Thanks for the excellent advice and ideas.
vitya
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by vitya »

As I do have quite a hefty collection of BIEL-style content myself(as in almost 9k videos, and some photos, been collecting since 2009), I'll drop my $0.02 as well.

- Storage. I'd recommend having two external hard drives. Why two? Electronics are still electronics, will fail at some point, mechanical or not. 2.5 inch hard drives nowadays are cheap, so having backup of the data you want to keep won't hurt. Flash drives aren't a bad idea either - small, reliable, quite a bit of capacity.

- Online storage. Dont bother. Much more expensive than external hard drive, and you have to encrypt EVERYTHING or it will likely get you in trouble(consider the scenario: bondage-related material including females is usually considered sexual by default. Add some obviously sexual content kept close to that, and nobody will ask the nature of your collection anymore. Should some part of it happen to contain a photo/video of a minor, even if the nature of the photo is clearly fun and games, the "default" nature of your collection can likely score you a long sentence for "being a pedophile", as in possessing a "sexual content" involving minors)

- Encryption. Just do it anyway. Like it or not, collecting TUG photos/videos is a grey zone in the west. Also keep in mind that in some countries(UK, for example) you might be forced by law to give authorities your passwords when asked, and face criminal charges if you refuse. Prepare yourself accordingly. And if you're not using some container-based encryption(as in Veracrypt, dhcyrpt, whatever), don't forget to encrypt the filenames too. And don't bother using Microsoft's Bitlocker - it's backdoored, sends encryption keys to Microsoft servers "in case you forget the password". Also keep in mind that most encryption systems are susceptible to a xkcd#538 attack

- Downloading the photos/videos - I'm more of a Linux person myself, so I use youtube-dl. Handles MANY sources without a hitch, can even save live streams off many sites. It's written in Python, but there's also a Windows binary available.
Last edited by vitya 5 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
vitya
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by vitya »

Nexus wrote: 5 years ago I wouldn't mind hearing a way to save videos from YouTube, or more specifically boundhub. Loooots of vids I'd love to have on there.
Mind DMing me a few links? I'd see what can be done about it.
ellanola
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by ellanola »

vitya wrote: 5 years ago As I do have quite a hefty collection of BIEL-style content myself(as in almost 9k videos, and some photos, been collecting since 2009), I'll drop my $0.02 as well.

- Storage. I'd recommend having two external hard drives. Why two? Electronics are still electronics, will fail at some point, mechanical or not. 2.5 inch hard drives nowadays are cheap, so having backup of the data you want to keep won't hurt. Flash drives aren't a bad idea either - small, reliable, quite a bit of capacity.

- Online storage. Dont bother. Much more expensive than external hard drive, and you have to encrypt EVERYTHING or it will likely get you in trouble(consider the scenario: bondage-related material including females is usually considered sexual by default. Add some obviously sexual content kept close to that, and nobody will ask the nature of your collection anymore. Should some part of it happen to contain a photo/video of a minor, even if the nature of the photo is clearly fun and games, the "default" nature of your collection can likely score you a long sentence for "being a pedophile", as in possessing a "sexual content" involving minors)

- Encryption. Just do it anyway. Like it or not, collecting TUG photos/videos is a grey zone in the west. Also keep in mind that in some countries(UK, for example) you might be forced by law to give authorities your passwords when asked, and face criminal charges if you refuse. Prepare yourself accordingly. And if you're not using some container-based encryption(as in Veracrypt, dhcyrpt, whatever), don't forget to encrypt the filenames too. And don't bother using Microsoft's Bitlocker - it's backdoored, sends encryption keys to Microsoft servers "in case you forget the password". Also keep in mind that most encryption systems are susceptible to a xkcd#538 attack

- Downloading the photos/videos - I'm more of a Linux person myself, so I use youtube-dl. Handles MANY sources without a hitch, can even save live streams off many sites. It's written in Python, but there's also a Windows binary available.
Wow, 9k videos? I'm not sure if my collection is going to be able to keep up! Anyways, thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into encryption. It would suck to be charged for something like that. Or have the password beaten out of me. (also, out of those 9k videos, mind sending me some of your favorites?)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic