Never lie to your physician

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
TheOldPirate
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Never lie to your physician

Post by TheOldPirate »

You've had some kinky fun, and there's some physical evidence, bruises, on your body. And you're going to see your physician. What do you do?

Simple answer; tell them the absolute truth.

Your doc does not care that you're kinky. And they won't tell anyone; there are medical privacy laws in place. And if they judge you... find another doc!

Physicians look for signs of abuse, and are required by law to report them. But they also know the difference between kinky bruises and abusive ones.

So if you've got bruises from kinky stuff and your doc asks, just tell them the truth. Yeah, you may be embarrassed, but your doc won't share the intel. But if you lie they may well think you're being abused. And then it's going to be reported and, eventually, everyone will know your kinks.

Really, you don't want that. Just tell your physician.
BondageBoyUK
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by BondageBoyUK »

What caused you to post this if you don't mind asking? Did you end up in this predicament? :lol:
TheOldPirate
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TheOldPirate »

Never to me (I don't get tied up or beat on), but I know plenty of people it's happened to.

There have been a few threads I encountered recently where this was an issue.
BondageBoyUK
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by BondageBoyUK »

TheOldPirate wrote: 1 week ago Never to me (I don't get tied up or beat on), but I know plenty of people it's happened to.

There have been a few threads I encountered recently where this was an issue.
It would be embarrassing to explain, but at the end of the day they can't tell anyone due to confidentiality as you said. They'll have seen it before as well so best to just put up with the little bit of embarrassment
tiedinbluetights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by tiedinbluetights »

I'm fortunate enough to live in a still (for now) relatively open-minded area of the world, and so I agree that, in general, if there is a group of people you have to be 100% honest with in order to obtain the best possible level of service, it is with your health care providers (doctors, nurses, psychologists, etc.). There are even explicitly advertised kink-friendly health care providers in nearby areas to where I live.

However, I'm not an expert on all jurisdictions of this pale blue dot we all live on. This forum is open to all, and we have contributors from all over the world. It would not surprise me if in some corners of our little planet, the expectations of protection of privacy under doctor-patient confidentiality laws don't even exist.

So to me, this really boils down to just how much you trust your physician and your local laws. Local laws may not be of any relevance or may actually make one never be able to trust anyone, even their doctor. And again, I count myself very fortunate to live in a part of the world where if I didn't trust my current "free" (as in state-paid) physician, I still can, for free, shop around for another in any number of public clinics, or willingly choose to pay for one in any number of private clinics co-existing with the public ones. My mind would definitely not be so at peace in a part of the world where I had no choice as to who my "assigned" physician is and if I couldn't trust said assigned physician.

Finally, I personally don't get the "humiliation" kink. But mileages vary and I understand that it is a huge turn-on for some. So, when I read "true" stories, I keep in mind the site rules and the posts made by mods and admins alike that true stories can contain fictionalized elements and still ought to be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless if I find that an element of a true story is of significant concern, then my best course of action is simply to report it to the mods and admins--it is impossible for them to read every single post and they do count on us regular, ordinary, readers to flag potential violations of site rules.
TheOldPirate
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TheOldPirate »

tiedinbluetights wrote: 1 week ago ...in some corners of our little planet, the expectations of protection of privacy under doctor-patient confidentiality laws don't even exist.
Very good point. I believe that the US privacy laws are among the best/strictest in the world.

In some places it can be potentially deadly to be outed. Some years back I talked to a guy in South Asia; he indicated that being outed would be societally sucidal and that it was likely he'd lose his job as well. Scary stuff.
JulieG
Millennial Club
Millennial Club
Location: Tied up and spanked over your knee, or in the dungeon tormenting you!

Post by JulieG »

In UK Child protection takes priority over confidentiality. i.e. reporting suspected child abuse. Protecting “vulnerable adults” (handicapped, elderly , trafficked / modern slavery etc) can also justify breach of confidentiality, then prevention of terrorism or “serious” crime. Conditions which affect safety to drive (e.g. epilepsy) all allow or require medical personnel to report.

Other than that, confidentiality is protected. This is similar across most of Europe. (In Germany and Norway it is even more weighted to confidentiality . q.v. German Wings air crash.

But. In Dubai, even asking for post coital contraception (morning after pill) can get you arrested.
uemndlr
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by uemndlr »

Yeah @TheOldPirate, you made a good point here. Reminds me of that story I shared the other, uh, year: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 086#p85086

So when caught in self-bondage, better embrace the embarrassment and admit the truth. Don't make up an excuse like "a stranger tied me up". People tend to react excessively to that kind of thing.
U+101D3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic