Tagging Users and Strengthening the Community

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tagging Users and Strengthening the Community

Post by bondagefreak »

A quick shout-out that can be of general benefit to forum life and board health.
We've been given a wonderful tool: TAGGING! (ex: @username)

Whenever you tag someone, he/she will receive a special notification.

Since the majority of members appear to ignore the Quick Link tools designed to facilitate forum browsing, TAGGING becomes especially useful.

Some of you may have noticed my extensive use of tagging.
It works and the members I tag generally appreciate it, since I've enabled them to view a post/topic they might have missed had I not tagged them.

Most of us have forum friends (people we contact via pm and talk to on a regular basis).
The next time you come across a thread you know someone would enjoy, take a second to TAG them.

Not only does it boost forum activity a great deal, but it also strengthens the bond between like-minded users and helps create a more lively community.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

To be honest, I've never figured out how to effing do that in the first place. Maybe I'm just a dunderhead, but i bet I'm not the only one here who doesn;t quite inderstand how to make that work.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Jason Toddman[/mention]
Have you tried it?
All you have to do is write this
@
immediately followed by the person's username.
Ex: @usernameX

Since there are tons of usernames that resemble each other, as you're typing it, the forum will often show you a list of suggestions. Ex: if you type @Bon...you'll get a little list of users who's usernames start that way, and you'll get to click on the one you want.

I challenge you to tag me.
You'll see. It's really easy.
Last edited by bondagefreak 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

You're a helpful dude, [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] .
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

[mention]bondagefreak[/mention] Sure it works, because you showed me how to do it. I never saw anywhere that explained it before on this site prior to you setting up this thread. just the results.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]MaxRoper[/mention] Haha, thanks 8-)

[mention]Jason Toddman[/mention] If I remember, [mention]chadmc90[/mention] posted about it very briefly back when the site was started.

I create a topic about it two months ago, showing how to do it and encouraging everyone to use the feature (http://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=393) but like a large number of my posts, this one was completely ignored.

After the Forum Navigation poll though, I'm not asking myself too many questions about why many topics are left unanswered. I am really surprised to see that the majority on here don't navigate the board the way it was designed to be navigated. It's no wonder why topics that SHOULD be popular, quickly tumble out of the "Active Topics" list.

A large majority of members choose to navigate manually, meaning most of them probably miss out on a huge amount of board activity. That's pretty much the whole reason why I find TAGGING so useful.

A bunch of the guys I tag, don't see the topics that would interest them UNLESS someone actually notifies them with a TAG.

Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago A bunch of the guys I tag, don't see the topics that would interest them UNLESS someone actually notifies them with a TAG.
You're probably right. Certainly so in my case; continuing health problems have made me easily tired and damned lazy of late.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Jason Toddman[/mention]
Nonsense, I wasn't talking about you or anyone in particular. It's just a general observation.
As for you being lazy, I don't believe a word of it.
You're one of the more active posters on here, PLUS you're going around administrating and tagging people's stories and reviewing them.

Trust me when I say that this board really wouldn't be the same without you.
Your username has left it's print on this community.
Sorry, Magnaman just doesn't cut it 8-)

Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago @Jason Toddman
Nonsense, I wasn't talking about you or anyone in particular. It's just a general observation.
As for you being lazy, I don't believe a word of it.
You're one of the more active posters on here, PLUS you're going around administrating and tagging people's stories and reviewing them.

Trust me when I say that this board really wouldn't be the same without you.
Your username has left it's print on this community.
Sorry, Magnaman just doesn't cut it 8-)
I am lazy though when compared to how i was when i first joined the original site eight years ago. Most of my staggering post count there was accumulated in just the first 18 months or so! And lately I just can't seem to muster the ambition to write all-new stories anymore. That, more than even lack of feedback, is why i tapered off so much about four years ago.
Deleted User 1370

Post by Deleted User 1370 »

I've always been horrible at tagging people. Even on Facebook it took forever to figure it out. It turned out to be so easy I felt totally stupid after. Just a reminder that this huge list of nonsense comes up when you try to tag. Dont delete it. That was my biggest issue when i tried tagging for the first time.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

ricktied wrote: 6 years ago Just a reminder that this huge list of nonsense comes up when you try to tag. Dont delete it. That was my biggest issue when i tried tagging for the first time.
Thanks for sharing that, Rick!

Looking forward to seeing this feature being used more liberally in the near future.

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Still hoping more users decide to use this useful feature.
Bumping this so that new users will give it a read!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic