Pictures with stories

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Emma
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Pictures with stories

Post by Emma »

I've noticed a couple of people here include photos taken from the internet along with their stories. Recently, I started doing that myself, when posting hubby's stories.

I'm curious as to how people here feel about them. Do they add anything to the story?
Don's Stories, Posted by Emma, Are Here!:https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5915
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I like to think that any pictures I post do or else I would not include them.
They can short-cut unnecessary descripions anf are often the origian inspiration for the stories and the artists should, therefore, be duly credited.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Emma
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Emma »

Xtc wrote: 4 years ago I like to think that any pictures I post do or else I would not include them.
They can short-cut unnecessary descripions anf are often the origian inspiration for the stories and the artists should, therefore, be duly credited.
Maybe I wasn't clear; I wasn't asking if people who post stories think any pictures they include, in their stories, are valuable. Of course they would.

I was asking if readers of those stories find them valuable. I ask, to see if I should continue to use them when posting hubby's stories.

For myself, as a reader, it helps a little, but i visualize what I read anyway. On the other hand, you make a very good point about short-cutting descriptions.
Don's Stories, Posted by Emma, Are Here!:https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5915
Amberbound
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Amberbound »

I think it helps some people who don't have quite as good a visual mind to see it play out. I don't mind if they have it or not cause I imagine it happening anyway, but I know some people who have told me that they don't visualize things in their minds very well, and I think pictures would help to offset that a bit. I haven't personally used them yet but I've considered doing so in some stories I write
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

If you pick a good photo that truly matches what is happening in the story its great! Not necessary but a nice little bonus
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
RopemanSteve
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by RopemanSteve »

I like them, they add a lot. At least for me :)
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

I've found that writing a story around a picture or drawing works well. If you have a picture of two or three people tied and gagged, the caption can read "The captives half-heartedly struggled with the ropes that held their hands behind them, and 'mmmppfff'd' softly into their gags, but didn't dare make a serious effort at escape until they were absolutely sure they were all alone."

In short, if you use pictures, write to what they show.

Drawscore
Dpsiic
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Dpsiic »

Yes I think the pictures add to the story. It helps to visualise.
NabHer
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by NabHer »

Definitely prefer the ones with pics whether they're written around a certan pic/scene (like captions) or used to depict the characters.

There were a couple users on deviantart who did the caption thing but they don't post anymore :(
Tieup1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tieup1 »

I think that pictures posted with stories, can help the reader visualise more of the story. On the other hand, a good story that is written well, may need no pictures, to help the reader. I guess it's just up to the author whether or not they post pictures with their story. :)
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

NabHer wrote: 4 years ago
There were a couple users on deviantart who did the caption thing but they don't post anymore :(
Oh, ONE of them does!

On the other hand you know what they say about the difference btween TV and radio? The pictures are better on the radio.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

I've already opened up a poll about this last year and have posted multiple surveys on the subject of photos in stories.

The reception has always been (and still is) hugely favourable to illustrated works.
With such a strong demonstration of support, I've made it a point to use illustrations in all my works.

Most of my single-chapter stories come with one or two photo attachements (sometimes more).
My main story project contains well over 60 illustrations, not to mention artist submissions and graphs/charts.

The audience is hugely appreciative of these additions.
Last edited by bondagefreak 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Beetlebailey13
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Beetlebailey13 »

I like the idea of random Pics. Help to visualize what damsel in distress looks like.
" No use to struggle, my dear, you're tied up much too tight for escape! However, I'd be in your debt if you would try... "
Melanie
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Melanie »

I don't like photos with stories for a number of reasons but with two exceptions.

It's the writer's job to find the right words so that all readers can visualise the story. Keeping in mind that most writers here are no professionals, this might fail more often than we like. The easy way out can be to attach a photo. The harder way would be for readers to point out what story parts don't work for them and why, so the writer has a chance to improve and hone their skill.

The next reason is that it can destroy reader's visualisations, esp. if the photo appears at the end of the story and is quite the opposite of what the reader had in mind. A good writer doesn't describe everything, stays vague at times, allowing space for the reader's imagination to fill out the details. As an example, suppose you picture a character having a certain hair colour because you have got a preference for it and suddenly you see photo that supposedly is the story's character with a totally different hair colour.
While it might be a minor thing for some, it's troublesome for a lot to have their imagination torpedoed.

Thirdly, credit is often not given correctly and it's often not enough. By default Fair Use does not apply here. You need permission of the photographer to republish their work here. If you just link the photo it'll be okay, but not if you upload a copy to the forum. The latter is a copyright breach. This does not apply if other terms are used, e.g. photos licensed under Creative Commens usually allow republishing but only when giving proper credit, meaning the photographer's real name or url where they have originally published the photo.

In the beginning, I mentioned exceptions where I think photos work with stories. One exception is practising, like a photo is given and you write a short text inspired by it. The other is illustration work: the story gets completed first then the photos are taken or drawings are made based on that story and inserted at proper places in the story.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

True - it's the writer's job to "paint a picture with words," but to enhance that verbal picture, a real picture often helps.

Hair color usually falls into four types: Brown and blond(e) (various shades of), black, and red. If the character's nickname is "Red," "Firehair," or "Ginger," there's a pretty good chance he/she has red hair. If the character is of south Asian or native American descent, there's a 99.44% chance his hair is black. In short, use what you read and know about the character, to create the picture in your mind's eye. (There is also white and gray hair coloring, but that's rare in characters under 50.)

Placement of images is incumbent upon the writer. If you are going to use an image, then put it close to the text that describes the "action," not at the end of the story. Some programs you can do that with. Others, not so much. I use Open Office, which will allow the insertion of images into text, but then, the whole thing has to be sent as a file; not cut and pasted to the site.

Agreed on credit. If you use someone else's work, it does not take much to add "Illustration by Stevie," or "photo by Drawscore." If there is a complaint, the owner of the photo can take it up with the author, and, if that doesn't work, a complaint to a moderator, usually gets the photo owner the desired results.

One thing that is a definite "no-no," is altering a picture without permission. Several years ago, one of my pics was altered, to make the subject appear to be hog tied in underwear. I didn't like it, and complained to both the poster, and the site owner. They told me, in so many words, to "fuck off." I retaliated by reporting the site to the server, and the next day, the site was gone. The moral of that, is, that if you are an author or moderator, and get a complaint, act on it, and don't dismiss it out of hand. Some people get PO'd real easy, when they think their work is misused.

Drawscore
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

[mention]Melanie[/mention] and [mention]Drawscore[/mention], two excellent posts there . Thanks to both.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic