TUG STORIES POLL - Feedback and Comments

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.

How likely are you to leave feedback after reading a TUG story?

Very likely! I almost always leave feedback and comments on stuff I read.
9%
Fairly likely. I often leave feedback on the stuff I've read.
30%
Not particularly prone to commenting, but will occasionally leave feedback when I remember to.
36%
Not very likely. Something has to really tickle my fancy for me to leave the author some feedback.
20%
Very unlikely! I almost never post on story threads.
4%

Total votes: 74

MisterMistoffelees
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by MisterMistoffelees »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago @MisterMistoffelees Actually, its probably more like 97-98% of members who are unlikely to respond to story posts.

The people who've voted on this so far are most likely active participants. Not to paint too grim a picture, but it's more like 60% of active forum participants who are unlikely to respond to story posts. That 60% plus the hundreds of silent lurkers, constitutes well over 95% of forum members.
Yes, you're probably right. And it just drains the life out me to work on chapters or short stories, edit, try to make everything flow and make sense and try to make it interesting, then see no one comment (except our fine gentleman xtc and Jay), even so much as to recognize that the story even exists. It leaves me thinking I must be a miserably bad writer when no one cares to offer any response at all to what I write. I truly envy someone like KP, who is secure enough in his powers (as he should be) that he can shake off lack of comments; when I see the silence on my stories, the idea that I really don't know how to write nags at me until I can barely put fingertips to a keyboard.

My regrets for the rant, but I had had such hopes for this group that I eagerly accepted xtc's invitation to join, only to find that the more things, change, the more they stay the same. Okay, rant over.
Welcome to Snowden! Enter at your own risk!
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

MisterMistoffelees wrote: 6 years ago My regrets for the rant, but I had had such hopes for this group that I eagerly accepted xtc's invitation to join, only to find that the more things, change, the more they stay the same. Okay, rant over.

There is...another side to this as well though, and it pains me to be the one to bring this up.
As an author myself, I reserve the right to say this.

Something I've observed time and again during my years of activity on this board, is how resolute and steadfast some (many) authors are in repeating the SAME DOOMED METHOD of posting stories.
It's like trying to bake the perfect cake with an imperfect cake tin. Over and over again.

The method is correct, and traditional and proper, etc. But it's DOESN'T work on internet boards!

To give you an example, one of the polls I created several years back and just recreated on here a few days ago, continues to show the audience's unwavering support for stories that feature shorter (-5 minute read time chapters.
Yet, MANY of us (myself included sometimes) are not listening and are continually bombarding our story threads with these massive (10+ minute) chapters.

I've even seen some of my old works (a 10+chapter long story) being reposted on here in ONE single post.

Nobody's gonna read that.

It became clear to me, some time ago, that feedback was definitely something I enjoyed receiving. The best feedback, IMO, is not the one where readers address the author directly. I much rather posts and comments that show how reader "x" and reader "y" are caught up in the tale and what they think about the characters and the various situations they wind up in.

I do not have the steadfastness and motivation that some of you hardened writers have, so I've folded and given in to popular demand by shortening my chapters, including story polls to engage the audience, using @tags when replying to comments left on stories, and including photographs/artwork.

The polls continue to show that there is equal support for mature and innocent themes, consensual and non-consensual tales, as well as support for all gender roles (M/F, F/M, F/F, M/M).

Adapting to the readership still doesn't guarantee success. Let's face it, we suck at giving feedback.
Lots of takers, very few givers.
But adapting to the readership simply rolls the dice in your favor, most often than not.

Something worth considering.

PS. Would be interesting for one of the Mods/Admins to tag all registered users on the first post of this thread.
It would certainly give us a better idea of what % of unlikely reviewers we are up against.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

BondageKitten
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by BondageKitten »

I want to begin by saying how very much I admire each and every one of you talented writers.

I have left feedback on a few stories, not much in the long run, I guess given what's said here.

Truth be told, humans are more likely to take than to give. :)
I'm a damsel. I'm in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day.
fratboydanny
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by fratboydanny »

Tieup1 wrote: 6 years ago What members should realise is, that the more replies, and feedback a story gets, it will give encouragement to the author, to write more.
I completely agree which is why I almost always leave a comment, especially with new writers.
jayarieldrillowup
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by jayarieldrillowup »

MisterMistoffelees wrote: 6 years ago
bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago @MisterMistoffelees Actually, its probably more like 97-98% of members who are unlikely to respond to story posts.

The people who've voted on this so far are most likely active participants. Not to paint too grim a picture, but it's more like 60% of active forum participants who are unlikely to respond to story posts. That 60% plus the hundreds of silent lurkers, constitutes well over 95% of forum members.
Yes, you're probably right. And it just drains the life out me to work on chapters or short stories, edit, try to make everything flow and make sense and try to make it interesting, then see no one comment (except our fine gentleman xtc and Jay), even so much as to recognize that the story even exists. It leaves me thinking I must be a miserably bad writer when no one cares to offer any response at all to what I write. I truly envy someone like KP, who is secure enough in his powers (as he should be) that he can shake off lack of comments; when I see the silence on my stories, the idea that I really don't know how to write nags at me until I can barely put fingertips to a keyboard.

My regrets for the rant, but I had had such hopes for this group that I eagerly accepted xtc's invitation to join, only to find that the more things, change, the more they stay the same. Okay, rant over.
@<MisterMistoffelees>Thanks for the kind tag so to speak :). I voted today and mine was the ninth vote on the second option in the poll.

On the old site I was far from a great writer and I admit it too. That's because back then I plagiarized too often from older sites. And unfortunately too many rp scenarios there would have been great as stories here but the old site links found by @<JasonToddman> only locate stories not the roleplaying section. But Jason found some classic stories of mine I will gladly repost here when I am ready.

These days I read more m/f, M/F, f/m and F/M and way less M/M. That does not imply I will not leave comments on stories I like for I have been doing that.

Soon, but not yet, I will begin posting a fantasy story created by me on a non Tugs website. I just need to edit chapter lengths and grammar issues first.

Do not expect me to ever be a top poster here with rp posts not counting at all. However if certain people I rp here with via pm agree and I finish said scenarios eventually, I will happily post said stories here.

This site is a legacy to the old site I met so many of you on under other usernames. I am using a familiar pseudonym as my username here because in 2016 I moved to a new location and my rent helps pay for internet and groceries so I will not post anything for the Adult section until I live in a new location so I do not get in trouble publicly online.

As for other ideas to make writers' feel welcome here, quite by accident I discovered a few years ago I actually had a talent for interviewing authors online. As none of those in question write bondage, I am simply going to go and say that if any writers' here want me or other members or admin/moderator team members they trust to interview them here, I think that being able to understand what motivates writers' here to write as they do actually could inspire lurkers and members to comment more on stories oreven write their own.

jayarieldrillowup out.
Last edited by jayarieldrillowup 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
'And behold one arose who once was thought to be dead and he spoke saying,"Heaven said I was too evil and hell said I was too good." Now he wanders forever as an immortal with magic as his birthright and as his curse.'
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Poll still stable at 60% unlikely to comment vs 40% more likely to do so.

KP Presents
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KP Presents »

Thing is, [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] I write both ling form and short form stories - and don't get a lot of comments on either...
Read stories of ordinary women in peril at www.kppresents.com
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

KP Presents wrote: 6 years ago Thing is, @bondagefreak I write both ling form and short form stories - and don't get a lot of comments on either...
I know. But keep in mind my comment wasn't directed at you or at anyone in particular. It's merely a general observation that applies to most of us. Length of chapters was only one example of the "Doomed recipe" I mentioned.
The blame mostly goes to lack of readership participation. Something that's (for the most part) out of our direct control. The best we can do, IMO, is lead by example.

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Some interesting numbers. Out of 900 members so far;
625 are forum lurkers.

275 members have bothered posting at least once on the forum. Out of those, 160 have posted more than twice. About 25% (82) of users who have posted on the forum thus far, have 10 posts or more.

42 members have achieved 25+ posts.
28 members have over 50 posts.
12 users have reached the 100 post mark.

As of early May 2018, we have a little over 40 active posters/contributors (approx. 4% of total users).

LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Oh shit, I'm in the twelve out of 900! No matter how hard I try, I always end up in minorities :lol:
Intersting numbers, and good to know what to expect...

My usual alternate view:
I can spend long minutes writting -probably- too long for the Net comments, trying to give precise feedbacks to the stories I read and sometime get the impression some are just waiting for a short " Great story, I liked it!"...
It works two ways guys.
I'm not expecting good comments only when I post something because I never consider what I post is perfect, and that's what feedback is for: to know when you did good or when you missed... And of course, opinions are purely subjective so they should never be seen as judgment.

Happens everywhere on the net, even on some architecture forums I go : you give your view AND explain it and it goes to waste.

So yeah, sometimes I just post a short, generic comment to let the writer know I'm still following the story but gave up giving my real thoughts. Which is underusing the potential of such sites and forums.

On that subject:
That's why "likes" and "favs" are a good system: you show support and dont waste time writting uninspired lame comments. And if or when you comment, you do it well and about precise points.

About the kind of storie I comment and generally speaking: I stay in my comfort zone, some great stories I won't comment because that's just not my stuff, not because they suck ...

( of course, all of that doesn't concern those I usually talk to, so don't go sweating over missed comments ;) )
don't run ! I'm friendly ...
gagged-cowboy
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by gagged-cowboy »

Everytime I read a story, here, at the old board or at deviant art I leave a comment. I am a writer myself, I had a couple of stories at the old board and the lack of comments was always so discouraging. Several hundred views but two or three comments if I was lucky. When I got four once I felt like a king :-D
It is the same at deviant art. Some of my stories have over two thousand views, couple of faves but only one or two comments or sometimes none. It is really weird that people are not able to spend twenty seconds on "thank you" or "good job".
I also have a blog with videos of bondage scenes from old movies. I don't post there anymore but the blog got several thousand views every month yet maybe ten comments throughout all those years. Which is sad.
I met some people who were arguing with me that no comments aren't a bad thing and that it is the views that count but I think that it is non-sense.
Somebody also told me they were too shy to post a comment but people don't have to be shy to say: "good story". Nobody wants them to write a deep literary analysis.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

gagged-cowboy wrote: 6 years ago Somebody also told me they were too shy to post a comment...
Yes I also heard that one. Ridiculous.
The more common excuse I hear though, is "everything's been said. I'd only be repeating what the other readers wrote".

[mention]LK3869[/mention] Don't worry about the length of your feedback.
Sometimes I write really long reviews, other times, really short ones.
Just continue doing what you're doing and say what you have to say.

You're among those that write the most elaborate/well-explained reviews on the board.
The time and effort you put into doing that is most appreciated.

gagged-cowboy
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by gagged-cowboy »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago

Yes I also heard that one. Ridiculous.
The more common excuse I hear though, is "everything's been said. I'd only be repeating what the other readers wrote".
Which is awesome in case there are no comments under the story :-)
Deleted User 1005

Post by Deleted User 1005 »

One thing I hope we can improve from the old site is more feedback. I would post stories I worked hard on and hear nothing back. I don't need to only get praise but people pointing out things I can do better makes me a better writer
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Really surprised that so few of the people who've visited this thread have bothered voting! This thread should have hundreds of votes by now.
I hope those concerned know that the vote is anonymous.
The last option "Very unlikely" should be (by far) the most voted for, yet none of our silent lurker residents has deemed fit to cast a vote 8-)

Meac
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Meac »

It counts every visit a new visit, so probably 15 of them are me. Just saying.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Meac wrote: 6 years ago It counts every visit a new visit, so probably 15 of them are me. Just saying.
Oh I'm aware of that.
But even if every other voter had visited this thread 15 times, it still wouldnt account for the 900 views.

When you go on the "Who is online" panel, you'll see lots and lots of regular lurkers visiting/reading Tugs Talk and the story boards without ever posting.

Somehow I was under the impression that an anonymous poll would gain lots more traction as far as votes go.

Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago
Meac wrote: 6 years ago It counts every visit a new visit, so probably 15 of them are me. Just saying.
But even if every other voter had visited this thread 15 times, it still wouldnt account for the 900 views.
To be fair you could probably count the number of your posts, and have that as the number of visits for quite a few people. I know I'm not the only one who stalks all of your posts. xD
Tieup1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tieup1 »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago Really surprised that so few of the people who've visited this thread have bothered voting! This thread should have hundreds of votes by now.
I hope those concerned know that the vote is anonymous.
The last option "Very unlikely" should be (by far) the most voted for, yet none of our silent lurker residents has deemed fit to cast a vote 8-)

That just about sums it up, lurkers, never post, not even in polls like this. I always thought, one of the reasons for joining a forum, was to, get in touch with like minded people. They should consider, that if they post sometimes, they will add something to the forum, and they may make new friends.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago 42 members have achieved 25+ posts.
28 members have over 50 posts.
12 users have reached the 100 post mark.
Quick update to mark the end of the month:

53 members have achieved 25+ posts.
33 members have over 50 posts.
17 users have reached the 100 post mark.

Almost 250 new members have joined since the beginning of the month.
Keep it up folks. Hope we can reach 75 (25+ post) members by the 1st of July.

Deleted User 1005

Post by Deleted User 1005 »

I think I might tey shorten up my stories or maybe trying doing chapters with time I between to get more readership
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Grinandbareit wrote: 5 years ago I think I might tey shorten up my stories or maybe trying doing chapters with time I between to get more readership
I do not, for the life of me, understand what you wrote.

Deleted User 715

Post by Deleted User 715 »

If a story is well-written, there are people who will loyally read it even though the story isn't in their gender preference. Good authorshipes a long way to keeping reader's interests.

Don't be me LOL
fungirlkatie
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by fungirlkatie »

I don't get very many comments on my stories which is why i'm always a little taken aback when someone says they are a fan of my stories. It would help to know people like my stories or what the liked about them with a comment. However I am also guilty of forgetting to leave a comment on a story that I like.
Still here, still really like using scarves for bondage
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

Im trying to get better on commenting on stories i legitimately like. But ill admit im sort of picky so there are a fair numbe of stories i skim, am disinterested in, and won't respond on which just causes that views vs comments ratio to scew further
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic