Most popular fictional story on this site

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Stick insect
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Most popular fictional story on this site

Post by Stick insect »

What is currently the most read/popular fictional story on this site.
RopingRingers
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by RopingRingers »

Bound and gagged in a sleeping bag I think
Hello there!

Other Work
that1kid13
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by that1kid13 »

RopingRingers wrote: 3 years ago Bound and gagged in a sleeping bag I think

Yeah no doubt
RopingRingers
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by RopingRingers »

that1kid13 wrote: 3 years ago
RopingRingers wrote: 3 years ago Bound and gagged in a sleeping bag I think

Yeah no doubt
I doubt that one will ever stop lol.
Hello there!

Other Work
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Stick insect wrote: 3 years ago What is currently the most read/popular fictional story on this site.
Popularity and views are not automatically synonymous of high quality.
What is the underlying motivation behind this query, stick-boi?
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Bound And Gagged In A Sleeping Bag has over a quarter million views. I don't think anything else qualifies for the top ten in popularity and reads.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

bondagefreak wrote: 3 years ago What is the underlying motivation behind this query, stick-boi?
Oh, I assumed you'd paid him. :)
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

MaxRoper wrote: 3 years ago Bound And Gagged In A Sleeping Bag has over a quarter million views. I don't think anything else qualifies for the top ten in popularity and reads.
Would be interesting to see the top ten. There are so many good stories on here, I haven't the time to read them all so it might be good to hit the classics so to speak.
View my latest story, Revelation, here;

https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8719

To view it's prequel Devastation, please click below;
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7458
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

wolfman wrote: 3 years ago Would be interesting to see the top ten. There are so many good stories on here, I haven't the time to read them all so it might be good to hit the classics so to speak.
On each subforum you can sort the stories as you wish, for example by viewcount.

In the fictional stories for everyone category, the top 3 is
1) Jack's Story (volatiledesire)
2) The roommates (Mineira1986)
3) All in the family (SlackyWacky)
So two pretty new stories (~6 montha old), which is kinda surprising.

In the fictional stories for adults, the top 3 is:
1) Bound and Gagged in a Sleeping Bag (bondagefreak)
2) Bondage Model by Choice (SlackyWacky)
3) The annual event (squirrel)

I think in pure numbers that bondagefreak and SlackyWacky are the most successful, but comparing them is hard due to their radically different audiences. There are also many more authors who have had very good stories.

Maybe I would throw in the legendary tale "camp bound" in the mix of most successful stories, although I don't know how much views it got on the old site.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Killjoy statistician here.
Although my stories are unlikely to feature in the "Most Popular" list, I feel I must make an obvious observation: multi-part stories tend to get more views than one-shots in spite of their quality for obvious (I hope) reasons.
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

As in most artistic endeavors, popularity is not always a good barometer of quality, however the question had to do with popularity and Beaumain's response was an excellent answer to the original question.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Beaumains wrote: 3 years ago
wolfman wrote: 3 years ago Would be interesting to see the top ten. There are so many good stories on here, I haven't the time to read them all so it might be good to hit the classics so to speak.
On each subforum you can sort the stories as you wish, for example by viewcount.

In the fictional stories for everyone category, the top 3 is
1) Jack's Story (volatiledesire)
2) The roommates (Mineira1986)
3) All in the family (SlackyWacky)
So two pretty new stories (~6 montha old), which is kinda surprising.

In the fictional stories for adults, the top 3 is:
1) Bound and Gagged in a Sleeping Bag (bondagefreak)
2) Bondage Model by Choice (SlackyWacky)
3) The annual event (squirrel)

I think in pure numbers that bondagefreak and SlackyWacky are the most successful, but comparing them is hard due to their radically different audiences. There are also many more authors who have had very good stories.

Maybe I would throw in the legendary tale "camp bound" in the mix of most successful stories, although I don't know how much views it got on the old site.
Thank you for the info, I will check that out.

Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Xtc wrote: 3 years ago Killjoy statistician here.
Although my stories are unlikely to feature in the "Most Popular" list, I feel I must make an obvious observation: multi-part stories tend to get more views than one-shots in spite of their quality for obvious (I hope) reasons.
Yeah, multi-part stories generate a lot of views. Anyine has an idea what the most read one-shot is?

XTC, don't tell yourself you aren't among the most read authors. It's just that your two very popular multi-part stories are not updated/bumped in the last few months. The last year or so, views have grown fast
MaxRoper wrote: 3 years ago As in most artistic endeavors, popularity is not always a good barometer of quality, however the question had to do with popularity and Beaumain's response was an excellent answer to the original question.
True, but measuring quality in numbers is very difficult, and almost needs some kind of contest. Maybe replies is a better measure than views, though vote stories and different styles in interaction screw that up. So something like views per part or (unique) commenters per part would be a decent measure for multi-part stories. Some large poll could also be an option if you want to answer the question.

On the other hand, why would you want to measure quality? Sure, a well-written story is important, but this is not a literary site, but mostly used to read and share stories involving fetishes. Smug stories are maybe of less quality, but certainly popular here. Is that a problem?
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Beaumains wrote: 3 years ago On the other hand, why would you want to measure quality?
Definitely a valid question. Numbers don't necessarily reflect quality.
Quality is also hugely subjective of course.

Bound and Gagged was brought up several times on this thread, but there's fairly simple explanation at to why it's the most followed and commented story on this forum.

The story stands on it own, but not for reasons related to quality.
The content is what sets it apart. The story does not ressemble other local works and is only here due to my lack of success in finding a more suitable location for it. Not vanilla enough for the vanilla story database, but too vanilla for the BDSM-themed story databse.
Those who've sifted through BaG a little or glimpsed at the early chapters probably don't undestand what I'm talking about, but the story's regular readers certainly do.

It's no coincidence that the majority of Bound and Gagged reviewers/supporters do not follow other stories on here and only registered onto this board with the sole intention of being able to comment on the story or see the attachement photos not available to guest users.

The more active M/M members on this board and those who are mostly interested in TUGs and bondage are generally completely disinterested in the story. Most of the story's readers and reviewers are sourced from outside the forum, which is why (aside from That1kid13 in this instance;)) you generally wont see the guys who comment on BaG posting in Tugs Talk or other sections of the forum (unless I physically tag them).

My point is, it's easy to gain popularity and/or stick out when you are the only one addressing a theme that's largely been ignored by the rest of the community. As proof, while still being popular, my other stories (all of which are bondage-oriented) don't stand out from most of the other stories on here.

The other point I'm going to make is one that may not sit well with a few readers, but is one that should be addressed nonetheless.
I've been here for a long time now, and I pay attention to stories and threads outside my general fields of interest.

M/M stories generally gain larger and much more active/vocal followings than their M/F, F/M, F/F counterparts.
Many of the more popular M/F, F/M, F/F story threads on this forum are populated by the OP's own posts. Instead of posting one reply for every six or seven comments, a popular practice seems to be for the author to respond to each and every comment with a new post.
This results in story threads appearing much more lively and popular than they actually are.

For many years now, the TUGs Talk section, the Photo Games and other non story-related threads have been overwhelmingly M/F centric.
The M/M stories on the other hand are usually a buzz with comments and activity, whereas the reviewers to M/F, F/M and F/F stories are few and in between. Even worst is the fact that most of those reviews are incredibly brief and mostly originate from the same ten/fifteen members.

The M/M members are much more supportive and active in the story forums, whereas the M/F, F/M communities generally seem much more interested in Tugs Talk and Picture Games.

I have no concrete solution to present, but I do think this is a topic that should openly be addressed on here.
As far as fixing this imbalance, I am a firm believer that something needs to be done about the way in which we greet new members.
New membership is the key in fixing these strange demographics we've assembled.

For the past few months, the number of new posters only interested in chatting and rping has exploded and reached levels we've never seen before. We should think about encouraging new members to visit the story threads and should encourage newly registered users to post on the stories they've enjoyed reading prior to their registration.

The lot of us should address the issue by composing a standardized welcome message (in the form of an automated PM) aimed at new members, urging them to participate on story threads. A guiding presence would also be helplful on the "Introduce Yourself" thread.
The forum's main activity should be focused around the story forums, not around picture-game threads and private RP hookups.

M/F, F/M, and F/F stories need more attention.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

This is way off the original thread, but as usual I agree with almost everything Bondagefreak says. I come here for stories. I think this was originally set up as a story site. Lately it's been mostly other things. I've gotten tired of sifting through all the non-story content and have been stopping by less often. I also stopped posting stories here. It doesn't feel like the same place anymore. I'm still looking for a bondage story site with an active group of commenters and gentle critics. I'm probably dreaming.
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

bondagefreak wrote: 3 years ago Even worst is the fact that most of those reviews are incredibly brief and mostly originate from the same ten/fifteen members.
I agree with that. In most cases after posting a new chapter, it is the same 5 or 6 people that post a reply (which I am grateful for) with the occasional reply from somebody who ordinarily would never leave a comment. Beaumains said it in a comment not too long ago, replies were down, but the views were still going up so he knew people were still reading his stories (or at least viewing the page). Some of my stories are in the top of the list based on views (57,000 views for BMBC), but nothing like Bound and Gagged in a Sleeping Bag.

I am not replying to every comment, if somebody writes something interesting I might reply to it, but comments are still something I always look forward too. My stories are not graphic enough for Grommet's website or any of the other ones, they fit mostly in the TUG world and my own likes.

Maybe M/M is more active because there is less available out there? Most websites cater for M/F, F/F or F/M, rarely do I see M/M. Just a thought, no scientific studies have been performed on that subject by me :lol:

As long as there is an interest, I will keep posting chapters to my stories. And I will be active on the board (whatever the gender tag).
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

I find I only get comments from a limited number of people, due to the nature of my writing style and stories. Not all chapter will directly reference bondage or restraint but may instead build a larger framework, where the context of bondage is given more meaning and stakes, when viewed as part of a larger narrative.

I put a lot into my stuff and I always appreciate when readers leave a comment. I must admit to being guilty of responding to a lot of comments directly.

I do so not to inflate views or for the sake of hubris, but to say thank you to those who take the time to read and comment as this gives me the impetus to keep posting and creating.

To an extent, I don't care how many read, as long as those that do, have fun with it

RopemanSteve
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by RopemanSteve »

wolfman wrote: 3 years ago I find I only get comments from a limited number of people, due to the nature of my writing style and stories....

To an extent, I don't care how many read, as long as those that do, have fun with it
Awesome attitude.

None of my favorite stories are listed here, but I hope the authors keep writing anyway. I don't always give feedback, but I try to. I guess that's really the only way the less popular authors know they're appreciated.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

It's the only way any authors know!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic