Advice for role playing

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Stick insect
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Advice for role playing

Post by Stick insect »

As the title says I am looking for some advice/tips on role playing. I don’t have a great deal of experience with role playing
McMurdoPI
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by McMurdoPI »

My biggest pet peeve with roleplaying is one sided rping. It seems like some people want you to write them a story while they respond with short unimaginative sentences like, "I struggled but to no use," or "mmmmmph!"

So I would reccomend just trying to match the effort and time your rp partner is investing.
Hello everyone! 32, m, Michigan, always willing to chat and help new folks get oriented.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

As an admin, I would ask all rpers not to pester members who are not interested. I have had to wave several such members ta-tas.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
DomTiesMen
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by DomTiesMen »

I have to agree with @McMurdoPI about the part about adapt yourself to the efforts that the other RPlayer is doing. I do feel very frustrated when I write several lines, phrases, even paragraphs of my character just for the other player reply with a single line or phrase. It's very frustranting to say at least. It could be a good idea to chat with someone before start to RP, so you can meet the other person and see if you two are compatible by ideas and you can predict how much he will reply to yours.

As for the RP itself, this depends how much you wanna write, but I would you suggest to explore all the things possible on your turn. Make lines for the character to say, if he is gagged, make sure to tell other things to not reply just "Mmmmph!", for example, talk how much the ties are tight, how he is struggling, how he feels being tied up, what are the things around him, the reaction of his captor, maybe his expectations. There is several things that you can describe on your turn. Whatever that your RP partner comes up with an action, try to make a reaction of your(s) character(s) about it.

It's not obrigatory, but I would recommend you guys make a small planing of how would go the RP, for example, define scenarios, what fetishes you guys gonna use, if there is any preferences for poses or gags and probably you guys could define too a start, a middle and a ending, because you guys can end up with an infinite RP that will never come to a end or one of you guys will do something that the other don't like or don't agree, this is to help to prevent that.

This one is optional, but I would recommend for better organizations. If you guys are doing RP here, I would advice to keep one note/PM for you guys chat freely and plan the next steps of the RP and another note/PM with the RP itself, probably with a title of identification. That way you will not "polute" the RP with in middle conversation or suchs. I totally could recommend too the Discord, where is a IM chat and you guys can open particular servers for the RP itself, making several threats to either plan it, the RP and even a profile with the characters. If you guys plan to make other "chapters" of the same characters and history, you guys can create new threats there too for each "chapter".

Oh! The last and most important one: be creative and have fun! You don't need to RP like yourself if you don't want to (although lots of people like to imagine themself in those situations); you guys can create completely different characters and personalitites for them, as well as the scenarios. They can be cops, or cowboys, maybe a kidnapping, an spy, a super hero. RP is a fun way to act that fantasy that you had on your mind but never had the chance to come true! Besides that, creating stories and characters is very fun, this will helps you a lot to be more creative as well to improve your reading and writing. Make sure to enjoy and have fun with it!
Stick insect
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Stick insect »

Thanks for the advice
ILoveHandsUp
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by ILoveHandsUp »

Don't jump into the RP immediately. Always take the time to get to know your partner.
Hands up!
My gallery on DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/wwthuis
Feel free to contact me here or on DA.
Will RP with girls who either want me with my hands up or want to put their hands up!
captured_prize
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by captured_prize »

ILoveHandsUp wrote: 3 years ago Don't jump into the RP immediately. Always take the time to get to know your partner.
Couldn't agree more. We all have our preferences so getting to know each other and establishing some common ground is key to a successful roleplay.
Just your average crossdressing damsel in distress...

Check out my story here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20583
BoundJana
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BoundJana »

There are a few things which are important, I just name those who I think you should always be aware off:

1. Talk about limits, like and dislikes beforehand. Make sure to draw lines, let known what you like, what you dislike and what are no-goes for you. That way the roleplay experience get way more comfortable for all parties. Possible scenarios, preferred gags/positions, all that stuff. Everyone has his/her own personal limits, make sure to clear them out before you start.

2. Chat for a bit before you roleplay with a new partner. Get to know the person you are rping with. As said above, do not simply jump into the roleplay, but chat for a while.

3. Try to cope your answer length. I always dislike it when I write multiple paragraphs as a reply and only get like one and a half sentences in response to it. Talk about your usual reply length, as it tends to differ given the scenario/person you are rping with.

4. Have patience with responses. We are all humans after all and have other things to worry about as well, it can always happen that an RP is stuck for one or two days because the other person is busy. Preferably, tell each other when you are busy.
What are you waiting for? Finally put a gag in my mouth and play with me!
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

BoundJana wrote: 3 years ago There are a few things which are important, I just name those who I think you should always be aware off:

1. Talk about limits, like and dislikes beforehand. Make sure to draw lines, let known what you like, what you dislike and what are no-goes for you. That way the roleplay experience get way more comfortable for all parties. Possible scenarios, preferred gags/positions, all that stuff. Everyone has his/her own personal limits, make sure to clear them out before you start.

2. Chat for a bit before you roleplay with a new partner. Get to know the person you are rping with. As said above, do not simply jump into the roleplay, but chat for a while.

3. Try to cope your answer length. I always dislike it when I write multiple paragraphs as a reply and only get like one and a half sentences in response to it. Talk about your usual reply length, as it tends to differ given the scenario/person you are rping with.

4. Have patience with responses. We are all humans after all and have other things to worry about as well, it can always happen that an RP is stuck for one or two days because the other person is busy. Preferably, tell each other when you are busy.

You make some very good points and point 3 especially is something which i can sympathise with as its something that annoys me too. When you are taking the time to provide a detailed paragraph or two per response, it can be incredibly frustrating to be met with just a ‘i moan’ or an ‘mpph’ in response. Things like that make you lose interest quickly.

Just my 20 pence or cents, depending on region lol! :)
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

Details details details. That IMO is the most important thing in a RP. No matter what role you are playing in the roleplay be descriptive. If you are the tier, be detailed in how you are tying up the part. Don't just say "I wrap rope around your wrists". What kind of rope, how much of it, how tight? etc. Same if playing the victim, even if your character is gagged you can still describe how the bindings/gag/teasing or torment make your character feel. No one wants to write a big ornate description of how they tied someone up to get "I struggle but cant get loose" as their only response. Stuff like that is why I got out of roleplaying
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
gayjacket
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by gayjacket »

For me, the number one killer of RPs (that hasn't come up so far) has been my partner forgetting that I want to have fun, too. I'll compromise on a lot to make the RP work and I don't mind doing it, but when someone isn't willing to meet me halfway, it's a huge turn-off. So, if your partner asks for something, you propose something else, and they say "sure," that's a compromise and you should look for some way to return the favor. They'll appreciate it, I promise you! On a sort of related note, if someone indicates their preferences in their profile, read them over before contacting them. There's nothing quite as frustrating as writing up what I'm looking for, then getting RP requests that have nothing to do with them.

Beyond that, try to move the story ahead a little bit in each post, and try to give your partner a range of ways to respond. If you move the story ahead too much, then you'll run out of stuff to do really quickly. If you don't move it ahead at all, or if you don't give your partner enough to do, then it'll flounder and go nowhere. I like to think of it like table tennis, except instead of the usual tennis rules, you're just trying to keep the ball moving as long as you can. Hit it too hard, and they'll have a hard time hitting it back as it flies past their ear. Hit it too soft, and they'll have a hard time even reaching it. Hit it somewhere in between, and they can comfortably respond without bending over the table to reach it nor any wild flailing to keep up.

Now, even the best scene has to end sometime, and there's something of an art to bringing a scene to an end. If you think the scene's winding down, it's best to recognize that and either find some way to continue it, or bring it to a graceful ending. If you're not sure what to do, bringing it up ((out of character)) is never a bad idea. ((Hey, I think this scene's winding down. Is that okay with you? If not, maybe [X]?)) Honestly, good OOC communication just might be the most important skill for an RPer!
27/F/USA/bi/switch. Want to RP with me? Read my profile carefully for more! I try to respond to all PMs, but it might take me a few days, depending on how busy my life's keeping me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic