Show age and location in posts

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
cellofello
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Show age and location in posts

Post by cellofello »

The old site showed age and location of the poster next to the post, provided that the member entered that information. While I realize that this information is unverified, and that adults can pretend to be children and vice versa, I still think it's worth showing. Age in particular may help people to avoid accidentally getting into conversations that are not appropriate to have with someone of a particular age.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

Interesting proposition, but some of us are private people, and choose to post from behind a cloak of relative anonymity. We have our own reasons for doing so, and we'll leave it at that.

Of course, a good hacker can find out who and where you are, if he really wants to do so, or if he is paid enough money to do so.

Drawscore
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Tend to agree with [mention]drawscore[/mention] (Someone had to ;)), also few underage people post their true ages.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Johnsnow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Johnsnow »

[mention]cellofello[/mention] It's worth mentioning that if someone did choose to include their age you can view it by clicking their username and viewing their profile (Chadmc has his age posted if you are looking for an example)
cellofello
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by cellofello »

drawscore wrote: 5 years ago Interesting proposition, but some of us are private people, and choose to post from behind a cloak of relative anonymity.
What I proposed would in no way affect anyone who wished to remain anonymous. Only those who chose to give their info would have it shown. There is no requirement for anyone to supply either age or location. I choose to disclose age in part because I want to discourage underage posters from trying to initiate contact with me to engage in fantasy scenarios. I'm pretty sure it happened on the old board even with my age showing, and I have received a request already on this board that I suspect came from someone under 18 due to the nature of the proposed scenario.
cellofello
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by cellofello »

Johnsnow wrote: 5 years ago @cellofello It's worth mentioning that if someone did choose to include their age you can view it by clicking their username and viewing their profile (Chadmc has his age posted if you are looking for an example)
I could swear I tried this the other day by clicking on my own name to view my profile in the ordinary way, and my age didn't show. It does now. (Location does not.) I wonder if this morning's board upgrade changed the behavior.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

Age and location is kinda useless, imh. Anyone can easily lie about that information (and any info stored, honestly). I guess since I installed that national flag extension, location has been added, in a sense. You can usually tell when someone is lying on here just by observing their behavior on the board. My advice to you is to use your instinct.
cellofello
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by cellofello »

cellofello wrote: 5 years ago I could swear I tried this the other day by clicking on my own name to view my profile in the ordinary way, and my age didn't show. It does now. (Location does not.) I wonder if this morning's board upgrade changed the behavior.
And now location does show.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic