Photos/Images on the forum

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Photos/Images on the forum

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]chadmc90[/mention], [mention]Johnsnow[/mention], [mention]Xtc[/mention]

I realise that photo attachments have been shrunk, most likely to save space. But the images I am hosting elsewhere (ex: Flickr) and copying to the forum via URL are also reduced in size, even though they don't take up server space.

Most of the images I'm using on BaG are now 250x150 pixels (barely bigger than my avatar), some have been reduced to half the size of my current avatar (200x47 pixels).

Users can click on the photo to see it full size, but for some reason...that doesn't seem quite as impressive.

I there any way around this?
Since hosting photos elsewhere doesn't take up forum space, is there any way to allow web-hosted photos to remain full-size on the board? If so, I can transfer all of my BaG attachements to Flickr and host them on there. That could make the forum a tad bit lighter.

Thanks in advance.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

As an old fart, I can't comment on the technical aspects but the 'real' admins were trying to correct the situation where some attachments that formed parts of stories had text that was too small to read. You might remember on the old site, the pics were reasonably sized and could be enlarged when clicked on. I asked if that could be reinstated but apparently the same faclity is not available on thre current board. Sorry, might be my falt.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

It's become impossible for me to read The Stranger (by [mention]boygagged[/mention]) due to the tininess of the print.

I understand this is supposed to be a story site rather than a photo site, however The Stranger is one of the most original and well-written things I've found here. I'd hate to lose it.

If pictures are taking up too much bandwidth, perhaps it's time to ask people to stop posting photos, but I'd sure appreciate having stories with pictures be a readable genre.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

It was that story that made me ask the other admins to try to improve the situation. I'm sorry that it doesn't seem to have done so but I simply magnified the imagees yesterday to read it. Worked OK.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

This was an intentional consequence of an extension I installed. The size of the photos themselves are not changed, but the dimensions are shrunk when veiwing them on a post. You can click the images that are small to make them larger. If multiple images are in a post, arrows will appear on both sides of the image that allow you to view them like a gallery.

I can expland the maximum size back to 512, if that helps, but I dont want them being too big for the page, especially with the extension.
Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

I would have to agree that the extention is an improvement if anything. While it is annoying in some cases, like when you want pictures in-line in stories, for generally attaching photos to a post etc. it makes sense to have and makes scrolling through topics easier.

It might be worth making a way to turn it off/get round it for posts (perhaps in a slightly obscure non-default way so most people don't do it) so for the situations where it does significantly negatively impact viewing experience it isn't an issue.

Also don't know if it was the intention, but on mobile the extention seems to be functional (it just shows pictures normally) which is funny when you consider mobile is the time when the extention would arguably make the biggest positive difference.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

chadmc90 wrote: 5 years ago I can expland the maximum size back to 512, if that helps, but I dont want them being too big for the page, especially with the extension.
512p would be awesome!

Scottstud94
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Scottstud94 »

I guess I’m confused what the issue is here. Just click on the picture to enlarge it?
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Scottstud94 wrote: 5 years ago I guess I’m confused what the issue is here. Just click on the picture to enlarge it?
When I expand images on my desktop they become readable, however even expanded I can't read some of the print on my laptop. Since I usually use the laptop I miss out on some things until I fire up the iMac.
Deleted User 3702

Post by Deleted User 3702 »

I just adjust the text size in Google Chrome. I also have a touch screen laptop, so I can take my fingers and zoom in to read and see text/images.

I've never had any problems....but that's just me.

Denver
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]chadmc90[/mention], [mention]Xtc[/mention], [mention]Johnsnow[/mention]
Don't mean to press you guys to much, but the photo issue is becoming a bit of a handicap.
I can no longer send photos larger than a thumbnail via pm or post normal photos and artwork on my story, even if I host them through image hosting sites.

I also can't edit any of my previous chapters when I see typos in them, 'cause the site no longer allows me to host photos over 256 pixels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]chadmc90[/mention], [mention]Xtc[/mention], [mention]Johnsnow[/mention]

Fixed! Thanks a million, guys 8-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic