Details and Descriptions In Stories

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Details and Descriptions In Stories

Post by bondagefreak »

Just a short comment relevant to fellow authors and future story writers.
[mention]BoundBlackGirl lvr[/mention] posted something interesting in this section, more specifically about clothing fetishes (which seem fairly common on here given the amount of people who are into socks, underwear, panties, sneakers, etc).

There is a limit to how descriptive you wanna be, especially if you are writing a quick paced bondage flic.
But there is something special to be said for stories that include details, whether it be about the binding and gagging action, the clothing or even the emotional state of the character(s) involved.

I do not speak for everyone, but many of us do get a kick out of descriptive works.
Quick bondage flics are fun, but they're often just that...quick, and not necessarily memorable.

That being said, the quality of writing on here is fantastic, and I'm glad to see so many new and old authors and readers participating in the rebuilding of this site!

Keep it up!
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

A few of the well-detailed and highly elaborate M/M works I enjoyed reading this week:

[mention]Xtc[/mention]'s "WALKIES"
[mention]squirrel[/mention]'s "On Vacation"
[mention]sockgagged[/mention]'s "Ethan's Cruel Robbers" and "Mac the Mummy Pledge"
[mention]ricktied[/mention]'s "Caleb's New Home"
[mention]cj2125[/mention]'s "The Last Straw"
[mention]Jason Toddman[/mention]'s "What's a Prisoner Among Friends?"

Those of you have an affinity for refined M/M writing should enjoy some of these works.

Deleted User 650

Post by Deleted User 650 »

Yes, descriptions are extremely important. I have worked with a few guys on here and we do descriptive role plays, and I will be turning them into stories for the site (later this Spring or into the Summer.)

Just pick up ANY book (well, a GOOD creditable author) and read the details in each scene and setting. There's much more than just how you are tied and gagged. Those details are VERY important, but setting the scene and plot is just as important.

Just my opinion.

Denver
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

I'm a hundred percent with you two,
even short pieces can have introspective, emotional or purely descriptive moments.
I guess most writers here are a little shy about that because they fear readers would loose interest, or they would appear, I don't know... pretentious or smthg.
With a few well chosen words, descriptions can remain short and informative, and add real value to already good pieces... They can even help potential readers to go further into stories...

Or it can be the other way round: instead of spending two line describing what a character looks like and wears in the beginning of the story, you can spread the same amount of information in the text, when it's relevant with action... Writting is full of such simple tricks that can make a text really better, even if that's not the main purpose of the piece...

I mean, since this site insists on stories so much, don't be afraid to show your writting talents :) Words are the lightest content when turned "digital", and virtual space is not scarce, so don't go cheap with words guys :lol: ( and girls, sorry...)
don't run ! I'm friendly ...
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

LK3869 wrote: 6 years ago

Or it can be the other way round: instead of spending two line describing what a character looks like and wears in the beginning of the story, you can spread the same amount of information in the text, when it's relevant with action... Writting is full of such simple tricks that can make a text really better, even if that's not the main purpose of the piece...
Absolutely. There is more to storytelling than making a list of who did what, with which and to whom to steal a line form one of my favourite lymerics.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

One of the favorite parts of writing a story is 'setting the mood' with a detailed description. Much like how those oldtime radio plays often did.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Jason Toddman wrote: 6 years ago One of the favorite parts of writing a story is 'setting the mood' with a detailed description. Much like how those oldtime radio plays often did.
As indeed do contemporary ones, or at least the best BBC ones do. And,as they say, "I prefer radio, the pictures are so much better". The same should go for a good read.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Xtc wrote: 6 years ago
Jason Toddman wrote: 6 years ago One of the favorite parts of writing a story is 'setting the mood' with a detailed description. Much like how those oldtime radio plays often did.
As indeed do contemporary ones, or at least the best BBC ones do. And,as they say, "I prefer radio, the pictures are so much better". The same should go for a good read.
Around here (or at least in Maine), radio is little more than music stations these days. The only exception i can think of being the dime-a-dozen radio televangelist. Other places in the US may offer more, but where I am non-musical radio programming is all but non-existent.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Just like [mention]LK3869[/mention] mentions, feelings and introspection in general can be a huge plus for readers.
There is a lack on this in many of the stories here.

Knowing how the character feels, about the restraints/gag used on here adds a lot of realism and depth to the story.
I love reading about sock gags for example. However, the thrill doesn't come from the act of the gagging itself, but rather, the ensuing reaction of the one being gagged and the ones gagging him.
I wanna know if the characters hate his gag. Are the ones doing the gagging laughing or teasing him?

Same applies to pretty much every other aspect of bondage.
If the character is being bound for the first time in his life, is he nervous? Does he have butterflies in his stomach? Is he relaxed and calm? Does he trust the one tying him up? Is he surprised about the way it feels? Is he thrilled, aroused, scared?

Of course, different styles and tastes for everyone.
I'm just putting this out there in the name of those who (like me) really enjoy well-developed works of truth or fiction.

Deleted User 520

Post by Deleted User 520 »

Something I use as well is pictures from the internet when I'm trying to get a concept of characters, places etc. I also try to use places I've been. In the case of Caleb's new home. I used to live in Colorado (where the story is based) I use my brothers old house for the story. I also found some pics depicting kids of the right age to inspire the story. I won't post those here because of the fact they are minors and I don't have consent to post. these are however good starting points for anyone who may have writers block and need somewhere to go for inspiration.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]ricktied[/mention]
Good advice, my friend!
Thanks for the contribution.

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Many new authors have joined since the creation of this thread and many old authors have created new works.
The quality and level of writing here seems to be higher than the standard on the old board.

Keep it up guys!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic