Dan Dare : 01 - Short Story (M/m)

Post stories from past authors here. Remember to give credit where credit is due!

Moderator: Archiver

Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Dan Dare : 01 - Short Story (M/m)

Post by Canuck100 »

Dan Dare's stories
01 - Short Story
Story index at the bottom

By Dan Dare

Monday March 6th 2000 08:46:50

O.K, I know I'm hogging the site - but, when you find a good thing! (Note from Canuck : he is referring to his "Snapshots")

SHORT STORY

Some time ago, my wife had to go overseas for two weeks to visit her sick mother. I was left with my two kids, "Paul" and "Jenny": 10 and 12 respectively. Jenny went off to spend a few days with a friend. We had a big house and 4 acres - plenty of forest.

One Saturday, I woke up to the sounds of kiddy games outside my bedroom window. When I looked out I saw four bays, including Paul, and two girls, running around with toy guns, playing some sort of cops & robbers game.

Paul saw me looking out the window and, the next minute, ALL the kids were in my bedroom asking me to play with them.

I (kindly) told them to get lost, but to no avail. A little less kindly, I said OK, but I want the girls on my side. Agreed.

The game was explained to me: I and the girls are the cops and we have to wait 10 minutes and then find and capture the boys' team - the "crooks". As I got tooth-brushed, washed and dressed, the girls went off to find suitable equipment for capturing the boys. They returned from the workshop shortly after with YARDS of various kinds of rope, rags and string. I started remember all the tie-up games I played when I was their age and actually began to look forward to the game.

I told the girls to go off and try to locate the crooks, without being captured themselves.

By the time I got out into the yard I was met with an erie silence. Not a crook, or any of my fellow cops in sight!

After a ten minute search, I literally fell over one of the crooks, a shy little boy, "Jimmy", trying to hide in some long grass.

GOTCHA, I cried - you are under arrest!

Having achieved my first arrest, I really didn't know what to do with my suspect - we hadn't agreed any rules of capture or established a "prison".

Jimmy looked at me, patiently, umming and erring, then said, You have to tie me up and hide me where my team can't find me. Then my team have to rescue me".

The girls had thrown me a couple of quite short lengths of washline before running off, so I turned my prisoner round and tied his hands pretty loosely behind his back.

Jimmy sighed and said "No, no - you have to tie me tightly or I will escape!".

I felt a bit uneasy, tying up a kid I had never met before, but, remembering my own childhood games, I put him on his face and tied his hands behind his back in a criss-cross vertical and horizontal style, ightly this time, with one of the ropes. I then tied his feet in the same way, joining the ends of the hand and ankle ties in a quite tight hog-tie. I then ran off to join the game and find the girls.

It all ended up in a hectic chase, everybody, including me, getting tied-up at one stage or another, and me happily repeating old times - allbeit with a bunch of playmates 20 years younger than me!

From then on, I played with the gang for the duration of the school holidays, but in more of a councelling and advisory roll than actual participation in the physical activities.

JIMMY'S STORY - WATCH THIS SPACE

Dan Dare