Special Tips On How To Get More Feedback *STORY AUTHORS: READ*

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Special Tips On How To Get More Feedback *STORY AUTHORS: READ*

Post by bondagefreak »

After a solid eight years of writing for this board and trying out different things, I've become somewhat well versed in promoting activity and readership participation on my stories.

I comment on almost all the stories I read and I've seen a lot of authors leave or simply stop posting because of low feedback. Part of the blame falls on the readership itself, but I also feel that authors need to "help themselves" and learn to adapt.

Trying the same recipe over and over again and expecting a sudden and inexplicable flurry of comments to suddenly appear, is NOT a good strategy for success.

If you're an author and you find yourself struggling to get the feedback you think your work deserves, some of my personal tips may prove to be of help.

Here are 10 tips I hope you will find useful.

1 - Be humble. Use the tagging system to tag forum members you think might enjoy the story you've published.
If you're working on a multipart story, don't be afraid to tag the previous chapter's reviewers, to let them know of the update(s).

I know having to tag users sucks. I sometimes wish more readers would comment without me inciting them to do so via the tag system. But it's okay. Many of them will appreciate you tagging them and many of them miss out on new stuff if you don't. Don't throw a banquet and expect everyone to just show up. Send some invitation cards. Then you'll have a crowd.

2 - Readers LOVE photos.
You don't have to fill your stories with illustrations and pictures, but visual aids do tend to have a positive effect on the audience.

3 - Use the Poll Creation feature to get an idea of how many readers your story is gathering.
Watching your readership count grow is always a source of encouragement.
You can also use the poll feature to ask your readers questions relating to the story itself (such as who their favourite character is, etc).

4 - Use the Story Catalog and use the Story Tag features.
They give your work more visibility and that never hurts.

5 - Don't be afraid to publish shorter chapters.
From personal experience and the poll I've created last year, it's become clear that a majority of readers prefer shorter but more regular updates. Having shorter but more numerous chapters will also earn you a larger number of comments.

6 - Interact with your audience and thank them for their participation.
Do NOT take them for granted. Treasure them. Talk to them and don't be afraid to initiate relevant conversations with them directly on the story thread. Your interactions with the readers will incite others to join in.

7 - End your chapters on cliff-hanger scenes if possible.
Leave your audience wanting more.

8 - Maximise the amount of time your story spends at the top of it's section and keep it in the Active Topics and New Posts longer.

If a reader posts a comment on your story, do not answer immediately.
His/her comment has bumped your story up to the top of it's section.
Wait a few hours before responding or posting on the thread in question.
When you do, your story will end up back on top of it's section again. Spread the activity out.
You wanna keep you thread in the spotlight for as long as possible.

9 - Don't be afraid to reach out to your readers by preparing questions for them and asking their opinions on story-related matters. Again, reaching out takes humility, but usually yields good results.

10 - Avoid long winded introductions.
The first few lines are CRITICAL. You need to hook your readers.
Once they are hooked/intrigued/interested, THEN you can built up on character history and whatnot.
Last edited by bondagefreak 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38748#p38748

MaxRoper
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Excellent suggestions, right down the list. Many I do already. A few others I'll add to my utility belt.

Between this post and the one directed at readers, [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] is challenging us. As authors, we owe it to ourselves to market our output. And as readers, we owe it to the authors to respond. If there's no input, eventually there won't be any output.

Pretty simple. And like the man says, it only takes a few seconds.

byronweilm
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by byronweilm »

I think the dissapointewd thread needs to be moved due to not being an actual disussion of story but a complaint/misunderstanding. Not sure where to.

Emma
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Emma »

These are very good tips!
Don's Stories, Posted by Emma, Are Here!:viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5915

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

byronweilm wrote:
1 year ago
I think the dissapointewd thread needs to be moved due to not being an actual disussion of story but a complaint/misunderstanding. Not sure where to.
Talking about threads/posts that need to be moved, I think you've posted in the wrong thread.
What "disappointment thread" needs to be moved exactly? And why post about it here?
This thread is for authors looking for tips on how to get more feedback.
If you're not satisfied with the board organisation, I'd suggest you use the tools at your disposal (ex: Report Post - Off Topic) or Private Message one of the Admins with your concerns.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38748#p38748

MountainMan_91
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by MountainMan_91 »

Thanks [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] !

You are truly an inspiration.

Will try out some of these to see it get better! :)

I am relatively new but more traffic would be nice, I agree it is as much my responsibilty as the readers to make that happen.

peace out!!
Deep in the mountains your screams will echo through the deserted woods...

Steak in a Tree
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Steak in a Tree »

Solid tips all around, as expected. Perhaps I should pick up the metaphorical pen and get back to writing again...
They held each other close and turned their backs upon the end.
The hills that split asunder and the black that ate the skies;
The flames that shot so high and hot that even dragons burned;
Would never be the final sights that fell upon their eyes.

tieduptee
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by tieduptee »

I think these 8 tips are amazing - they've definitely helped me recently!!

It's really nice to have a bit of guidance for people who maybe aren't sure how to go about promoting their stories, or how to gauge if it's doing well amongst the board. It just helps give everyone the helping hand they need!

It can be scary being a new writer/member on the forum and not knowing what to do/how to gain traffic on their posts, so thank you [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] for these tips!

Which has actually got me thinking... in addition to a "tips to get more feedback" topic, would people maybe be interested in a "writing tips" topic?
Tie me up, stuff something in my mouth, wrap some tape around it and let's have some fun!

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

tieduptee wrote:
1 year ago
Which has actually got me thinking... in addition to a "tips to get more feedback" topic, would people maybe be interested in a "writing tips" topic?
Hey [mention]tieduptee[/mention]
Sorry for the late reply, I seem to have missed this.

I've already created such a thread a while ago and lots of authors have contributed.
It's worth bumping back up into the active threads if ever you have some tips of your own to add.
Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1498