Private Messages and Ranks

This forum is an archive of old announcements that no longer shown in the global announcements threads.
User avatar
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 629
Joined: 3 years ago

Post by chadmc90 »

HannaBarefoot wrote: 1 month ago Not to disrupt any constructive conversation about the topic at hand, but I have a technical question. Does the promotion happen automatically, or does a mod need to do it manually? I have more than 10 posts but still am in Registered User land :?

And to add my own thoughts to the matter, I do see things being a little more lively! Normally I just stuck to PMs and chatting with others, but I'm glad I was more or less forced to step out of my shell for once and read around a bit more and also offer my comments and encouragement. Getting good discussions and stories going definitely has encouraged me to start contributing to the forum beyond what I am normally attracted to :)
Hanna,

There was a technical hiccup that I had to correct. You are in the group now. Members are auto promoted as posts are made, so there is no need to "apply" to be in a group.

And thank you for your thoughts and understanding and the benefits it will bring to the board!
User avatar
HannaBarefoot
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer
Posts: 16
Joined: 6 months ago
Location: USA

Post by HannaBarefoot »

I appreciate it, thank you!

And yes, at first I thought it was kinda dumb, but then as others offered their thoughts I realized that I was accidentally being a little selfish haha :oops:
But now I see the wisdom behind it; Keeping new users from being bugged, and keeping them from bugging others if they are so inclined to make a mess of things.
One of us is going to end up barefoot, tied up, and gagged, so I hope you're ready!
User avatar
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2123
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Not deep enough into the Forest

Post by Xtc »

Thanks for that, @HannaBarefoot . Normally @JohnSnow or @chadmc90 get the promotions to happen automatically so I've tagged them in this post in case there is a glitch.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
User avatar
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 629
Joined: 3 years ago

Post by chadmc90 »

HannaBarefoot wrote: 1 month ago I appreciate it, thank you!

And yes, at first I thought it was kinda dumb, but then as others offered their thoughts I realized that I was accidentally being a little selfish haha :oops:
But now I see the wisdom behind it; Keeping new users from being bugged, and keeping them from bugging others if they are so inclined to make a mess of things.
No problem.

And I know the new system was a shock, but it was neccessary to protect new members from spammers. It take a few bad apples to ruin a bunch, they always say....
ticklescare
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer
Posts: 10
Joined: 1 year ago

Post by ticklescare »

Okay this explains a lot
Though after being away a bit I wish there was an option for me to simply opt into PMs
User avatar
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2123
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Not deep enough into the Forest

Post by Xtc »

@ticklescare I think you missed the point!
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
User avatar
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 629
Joined: 3 years ago

Post by chadmc90 »

ticklescare wrote: 1 month ago Okay this explains a lot
Though after being away a bit I wish there was an option for me to simply opt into PMs
You can make 3 more posts and you will get your PM privileges back. That option, while I considered it, is simply unfeasible and puts more stress on the team having to manually approve PM privileges.

I honestly do not understand why people are making it sound like we are asking for an arm and a leg. Is writing a couple of words of appreciation for your favorite stories or contributing to community discussions really THAT demanding? The whole point of this forum is for story telling and community discussions on TUG topics. If you want to RP, fine, but it wouldn't kill anyone to help contribute to the board and make it look active and engaging. Without that, no one new will show up. Supporting lurking in the shadows and taking activity strictly to PMs does nothing for this board.
User avatar
Gagged_Miko
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer
Posts: 12
Joined: 1 month ago

Post by Gagged_Miko »

Ahh, I was wondering about that. I was a member of the old site and did not recall this. I just discovered this one today and am pretty glad that I did.
ticklescare
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer
Posts: 10
Joined: 1 year ago

Post by ticklescare »

chadmc90 wrote: 1 month ago
ticklescare wrote: 1 month ago Okay this explains a lot
Though after being away a bit I wish there was an option for me to simply opt into PMs
You can make 3 more posts and you will get your PM privileges back. That option, while I considered it, is simply unfeasible and puts more stress on the team having to manually approve PM privileges.

I honestly do not understand why people are making it sound like we are asking for an arm and a leg. Is writing a couple of words of appreciation for your favorite stories or contributing to community discussions really THAT demanding? The whole point of this forum is for story telling and community discussions on TUG topics. If you want to RP, fine, but it wouldn't kill anyone to help contribute to the board and make it look active and engaging. Without that, no one new will show up. Supporting lurking in the shadows and taking activity strictly to PMs does nothing for this board.

Oh I understand all the, didn't mean to come off that way, I understand it had become an issue ;)

Gagged_Miko wrote: 1 month ago Ahh, I was wondering about that. I was a member of the old site and did not recall this. I just discovered this one today and am pretty glad that I did.
Ah a member of the old site, nice to have you!
Tugger90
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer
Posts: 12
Joined: 2 months ago

Post by Tugger90 »

Okay this makes more sense now
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic