A way to restore work from the "old site"

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
batsiiii
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

A way to restore work from the "old site"

Post by batsiiii »

Hi Fellow TUG-fans

This might be useful for knowledge for some of you.
If you have lost some Work from your old site, there is still hope ahead.
This guide will work in a lot of cases, but not all

1. Search Google for the name of your story (or anything that can identify it) and add "tieupgames.net" in the end
REMEMBER quotations around your story name
Example: https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.m ... Z1IfgeLRFw (yes, it's a very long link)
2. If it has found anything useful, copy the link it suggests.
Example: www.tieupgames.net/viewforum.php?f=2&start=150
3. Paste the link into this service: http://archive.org/web/ and see if has cached your Work
Example: https://web.archive.org/web/20150506225 ... &start=150 (find the story in the list)

As mentioned at the top of this guide, it will work in some cases, but not in all. However I hope it can help some of you

Have fun!

//Batsiiii
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

I tried this using your own example, but though it did give three potential results the end result for all three was a error not found page (verbatim, it says The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.) Did you actually go all the way with anything and end up with an actual post from the old site? If so, i'd like to see an example. Otherwise it looks like you stopped with the cached pages list and went no further; and this is likely to get peoples' hopes up only to dash them again.
Possibly however your method requires a different browser than mine as well. I use Firefox. What did you use?
batsiiii
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by batsiiii »

Yeah, it is possible to get the actual post.
The "Silk and satin" story is this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20101203170 ... ?f=2&t=988.
Eventually, give it a few refreshes
I got it from clicking on the story, at the link Google suggested.

But not all stories are cached, so it is not a bulled proof method.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

batsiiii wrote: 6 years ago Yeah, it is possible to get the actual post.
The "Silk and satin" story is this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20101203170 ... ?f=2&t=988.
I got it from clicking on the story, at the link Google suggested.

But not all stories are cached, so it is not a bulled proof method.
I had thought of this idea when the old site first crashed but then, and still now, don't get anything but the Waybackmachine home page whenever I try to do this. Even with the link you provided as an example and following your instructions all I get is this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

On further thought, to heck with it. Unlike my previous attempts,your fourth and final link leads to a table of contents that actually works.
God only knows how long that will last, so I think I'm just going to copy everything I can find that way while I can and worry about the rest later.
To clarify, I don't need to preserve MY stories, but those of everyone else which have been lost!
If this works out, then you've done us a major solid indeed! And I'm bringing this to the attention of the board so that everyone can get in on this.
Thanks! :D
Deleted User 93

Post by Deleted User 93 »

What did work for me when navigating through the site via web.archive.org is to click on each page in order instead of skipping from 1 to 3, 2 to 5, etc...
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Great! Many of my older works are now retrievable.

Unfortunately, none of the newer stuff (like [mention]sniffingyoursocks[/mention]'s "I asked for this") seems retrievable. Shame.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago Great! Many of my older works are now retrievable.

Unfortunately, none of the newer stuff (like @sniffingyoursocks's "I asked for this") seems retrievable. Shame.
I've been able to access aversion of the site from November of last year. Ifit's olfer than that I can find it. I'm going to sartt a thread taking requests, and we'll see what I can find.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

We will have to "mine" for stories that were preserved, as these archives don't recursively archive every single link. I was already aware of this, but I assumed that none of the stories were archived due to the limitations of the wayback machine.

If anyone wants to take on this endeavor and cipher through them, be my guest. Just post them under "Archives" and remember to give credit to where credit is due!

Also, DO NOT just link the stories. Copy/paste each chapter into a new story thread to preserve it on the new site.
Soraka
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Soraka »

Some search engines also save pages.
I've tried it on Google, Bing and Yandex and had a lot of success (Also works on stories from 2017/2016)

1. Use a search term that looks like this site:tieupgames.net <searchterm>
2. Click on the little green arrow facing down (Google doesn't always have this arrow! :()
3. Click cached page

It doesn´ t always work, but it's better than nothing...
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

Which just goes to show, that nothing posted to the internet EVER totally disappears, even when deleted by the original poster, an owner or moderator, or the site server. It just gets harder to find.

Drawscore
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

drawscore wrote: 6 years ago Which just goes to show, that nothing posted to the internet EVER totally disappears, even when deleted by the original poster, an owner or moderator, or the site server. It just gets harder to find.

Drawscore
In this instance though, I think it's just as well that this is the case. At any rate, not everything is retrievable. non-story forums like jump in the fire don't seem to be included (no loss there), but also some large sections of story forums also need a little searching to dig out. Heck, i have even seen some of your short stories in there.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

>>>In this instance though, I think it's just as well that this is the case. At any rate, not everything is retrievable. non-story forums like jump in the fire don't seem to be included (no loss there), but also some large sections of story forums also need a little searching to dig out. Heck, i have even seen some of your short stories in there.<<<

I don't doubt it. I've also cautioned that you NEVER put anything on the internet, that you would not show your mother or grandmother. Somebody, somewhere, will find it.

BTW, the site seems to want to charge a fee. Maybe I missed something.

Drawscore
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

drawscore wrote: 6 years ago

BTW, the site seems to want to charge a fee. Maybe I missed something.

Drawscore
A fee? Nothing that I've seen. Request for voluntary donations on the home page are all I've encountered.
Deleted User 715

Post by Deleted User 715 »

I was able to recover a handful. I could recover the first page of "Seasons of Love"[ but not the other 5+ pages], and about half of the other stories from that universe. The rest appear to be gone. :(
Sniper108
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Sniper108 »

if anyone can find New Den Mother of KP Presents, that would be great
i'm trying but the website don't respond for me
Plueschbabycd
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Plueschbabycd »

Hallo,
you must only on his page. I hop it OK when post the link http://www.kppresents.com/contributions.htm. If no admin can dell it.
Deleted User 1005

Post by Deleted User 1005 »

Thanks for the advice I'm going to try
HotBoi
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by HotBoi »

First, I'd like to sorry for posting this here. I want sure where to post it.

Anyway, there is a story from the old site (tieupgames.net) that I absolutely love. I can't find it anywhere, though. I was hoping someone possibly had it. It is called "Movie with the sister in-laws". I'm not sure who it's by, unfortunately. I really wish I could get that story one last time so I could save it. Any help would be much appreciated!
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

Have you tried looking at both the global announcement called "Some Parts from the old site are Now Retrievable," and the sticky one in this section called "A way to restore work from the "old site"?" Both of these topics could be handy for you to try it out yourself. Also, there have been many stories that have already been retrieved from the old site and are now in the archives section of this site. I, unfortunately, would not be able to help you out because none of the ways they mention to look at work for me.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]HotBoi[/mention]
I've moved your topic out of Tugs Talk and merged it into the appropriate topic.
Be sure to the read the first posts and familiarise yourself with the search methods.
I'm sure you'll be able to fish out the story you're looking for this way.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

tugfan
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by tugfan »

I have preserved few stories mostly M/M (in form of web pages) from old website.
Any suggestions how to share those?
MissEmpressive

Post by MissEmpressive »

That's actually really cool
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

tugfan wrote: 5 years ago I have preserved few stories mostly M/M (in form of web pages) from old website.
Any suggestions how to share those?
Suggest you ask Johnsnow or chadmc90. Sorry, I don't "do" tech.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic