Tau Upsilon Gamma [M+/M+] [update - 3/15/24] NEW POLL

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.

Who should Mason save?

NATE: plug gag, gorilla tape bonds, nipple clamps
8%
CODY: duct tape gag, handcuffs, Icy Hot
20%
LEO: Hoss' sock gag, rope bonds, tickle torture
48%
RAY: bandana gag, slave harness, in his underwear
20%
HIMSELF
4%

Total votes: 25

blackbound
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by blackbound »

I'm very conflicted. On the one hand, Brett sounds like a petulant baby, on the other, he seemed to have been genuinely distressed without the ring...

Love Scott leaving Jaquan to stew, with the chaos that's about to erupt he might end up staying in that bed much longer than he anticipates...
socjuc
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by socjuc »

Great conclusion to the game. Was hoping to see what would have happened if the pledges were able to escape, though that I believe may have been hard to write.. :P

Looking forward to what really happened that ended up with Scott's escape from him being bound. Does he get negative points for that I wonder, so likely would lose the game? Maybe that is why he is pissed. :lol: :lol:
This story can be found HERE.
Banner by Bondagefreak
KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

Like [mention]gag1195[/mention], I anticipated the pledges taking down the brothers, but I'll have to wait to see what happens.

You did a really good job with the exchanges between Scott and Ray and Hoss and Nate.
Wedgieboy69
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Wedgieboy69 »

I am surprised that Brett just let Ray leave. I would have thought that the all mighty president would have wanted a word or two with him after their exchange. I dont see Brett as someone who wouldn't want to get the last word in. makes me wonder if the night is really over. or will one or all of the pledges be getting a late night wake up call?
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

New chapter will be up in a day or so, but in the meantime, I'm putting up another poll. And this one will be pretty big.

DIX is hungry for some revenge after Travis' humiliation at the Pledge Party. And they're not going to just take that lying down. So they have big plans for the TUG boys. The question is: who?
Last edited by wataru14 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

So, as much as I love seeing Cody or Hoss or Scott in trouble, there's something seriously appealing about the emotional potential of one of the three boys I picked (Brett, Ray, or Mason) getting taken - if Brett, all of TUG has to go into overdrive to rescue their leader and it may cause all out frat war. If Ray, we have the tension of Ray being the least connected to the others and his fraying relationship with Mason. If Mason, then the competing insecurity at being a burden but also the growing self-confidence might lead to him earning a lot of respect.

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Shane! Gotta vote for my favorite senior! I'd love to see the way he tries to talk and manipulate his way out of his capture! He's also the frat secretary, so he's a prime target to torture for some TUG info! Plus, I can see Ray rally to help save his Big, which might endear him towards Brett if the president is still mad, and would go a long way to smooth things over after the failed freshmen hunt!
My M/M Stories Here
Bradstick
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bradstick »

I choose Nate, Ray or Leo.

Nate I think we be fun because we know Hoss is the muscle, I would love to see what happens if you piss off “the muscles” by taking his lover.

Ray would also be fun. Brett could force him to do some task after the events of Monday and that leads to his capture. There also is some is potential growth if Mason is the one who saves him. Showing him how far he is coming in just a short time.

Leo would also be fun. I don’t think he would get captured, I could see him getting himself captured. After the events of Monday, he’ll learn how well they can work together. He may get himself captured to bring the pledges closer.

Along with Leo, any of the seniors would work. Having the pledges form a rescue plan to get the senior out would show TUG how great they can be. This would also be a good way to get on Brett’s good side depending on how he ends up reacting to him getting captured.
Wedgieboy69
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Wedgieboy69 »

I am torn on how to vote.

if its a freshman, I would say nate or Mason. Dix are big dumb jocks. the stereotype is for them to bully smaller and weaker.

if they want to go big time, then it would need to be a senior. that would also get them around the no hazing freshmen on rush week rules. Brett has had his 15 minutes of fame last chapter. I dont see them wanting the trouble of trying to take down Danny or hoss. Shane seems like the weakest and easiest senior to target.

or do we keep picking on Jaquan? we already know he will be in a hurry to run off for his date as soon as he gets free. that will get him away from the house and alone.

too many good potential story lines that could come from this. which way do I vote???
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

Interesting that the Seniors seem to be in the lead, almost to a man.
Wedgieboy69 wrote: 2 years ago or do we keep picking on Jaquan? we already know he will be in a hurry to run off for his date as soon as he gets free. that will get him away from the house and alone.
Jaquan, unfortunately, isn't in the running. The poor man has suffered enough for now. He was only trying to help and look where that got him!

But don't worry too much about being indecisive. You can pick up to three and I never said that there would only be one victim...
Guardianbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Guardianbound »

I chose Brett, Danny and Scott. But id love if all the seniors were victims. That'll be real teamwork from all the juniors to rescue all their seniors.

Brett makes an especially great target, with the whole ring thing. What if they just take the ring, would Brett be paralysed?
Banner by bondagefreak --- Link to my stories: Click Here

KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

I voted Hoss, Scott, and Mason. I know [mention]wataru14[/mention] you wrote DIX takes one TUG's brother in revenge. But why not three? Two of the brothers (I picked Hoss for sheer brute strength and Scott for coolness) and one of the pledges. And so I chose Mason as an easy target, but one who may prove to be the most ingenious. And the guy who gets the big guys out of it! 8-)
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

Pledge Roundup part 4: Didn’t Think Things Through

LEO
All in all, the plan was pretty solid. At least on a superficial level. But you didn’t think things through enough. I know you had to plot on the fly, Ray my man, but you had two of the biggest brains in the squad at your side. One of those two poindexters should have seen the glaring flaws. But I won’t hold that against you. The whole thing almost worked. It only almost worked thanks to not one, but two instances of quick thinking by yours truly, but still, it almost worked. But I can’t even blame Nate and Mason too much. Smart as you both are neither of you are used to insidious schemes. That’s solidly my domain. If I was in the planning cabal in place of one of you two, things would have gone very differently. But no sense crying over that now, right?

Anyway, Ray man, here’s how it went down. After Jaquan figured out the switcheroo thanks to his little ice cube shenanigans (I’ll tell you all about that later), I got to thinking. I saw what Jaquan saw and I figured out what he figured out. And I was very impressed. My shriveled black heart smiled for you. But I also knew that Phase Two of your plan would be to get a mole down here to facilitate an escape. It’s the only logical step. And good idea baiting Hoss. Out of all of them, he’s the only one who wouldn’t catch on to the fact that Nate and Mason wouldn’t dare separate at this point because doing so would be the dumbest move imaginable. None of the others wouldn’t have fallen for it, but good work in picking the one who would. Don’t give me that look, Nate. I like the big lug, too (well, maybe not as much as you do…), but even YOU have to admit he’s not the brightest star in the constellation.

Once Nate had been bagged and tagged, I watched to see what you guys managed to cook up. That’s when I saw the old “razor blade in the back pocket” trick. Older than dirt, true, but it’s a classic for a reason. Everyone down there was in some stage of inebriation, so they wouldn’t be too observant. Perfect environment for some sleight-of-hand rope sawing. A+ plan so far. Correct me if I’m wrong, Nate, but it was right after you passed the blade to Cody that you realized something was wrong, no?

NATE
Pretty much. After I got my hands loose and saw Cody getting to work, I noticed the big flaw in the plan Leo mentioned. We were in the middle of the room with Actives on all sides. We weren’t being watched too terribly closely, but we were observed by someone pretty much at all times. At least to some degree. That’s when I realized “how the hell am I going to get these ropes off my chest, and then my feet, without anyone noticing?” I would have to bend down to get at my feet and there was no way that would go unnoticed. Drunk and stoned as they all were, SOMEONE would see that.

CODY
I realized that, too. About halfway through cutting my hands loose. My thigh cramped up and that’s what made me think of it. I had been in that chair so long I hadn’t been thinking about my legs. I almost dropped the blade.

LEO
And that, my friends, is where you realized that a dastardly scheme without Leo is no scheme at all and Cody turned those pretty hazel eyes in my direction, imploring me for help. And who am I to refuse that puppy-dog face?

I quickly surmised that what you boys needed was a diversion. And not just a “hey, what’s that over there?” misdirect. You needed something that would get you away from spying eyes for an extended period. So after giving Cody a nod that said, “Don’t you worry none, Mama’s got this,” I started thinking. When inspiration hit me, I knew I needed to use my most valuable asset to help this jailbreak along, and being gagged with (what I assume was) Danny’s stinky gym sweatrags, I wasn’t going to get very far in that regard. So step 1 was to get someone to take out my gag. If I did it myself, they’d just put it back tighter, so I had to get one of them to do it.

CODY
That’s when he started shaking. It was a cough at first, but then he started makin’ these weird sounds. Like “Hurrrgggh! Hurrrgggh!” And I saw him contracting his guts. I’ve seen that kinda thing before. That’s what someone does right before they hurl. So I started shouting and grunting. Hopping up and down in the chair. Anything to get people’s attention. At first they ignored me, but as Leo got louder I did, too. Finally, Luis, that music guy, looked over at me and said “What the hell is your problem?” That’s when Leo REALLY turned it on.

NATE
Luis said, “Oh shit, look at Leo! He’s getting sick!” Jean-Marc said, “who cares? Let him!” But Luis said, “Listen, jerkoff, if he throws up with a gag in his mouth he’s going to choke to death. What the fuck is wrong with you?” And he ran over and pulled Leo’s gag out.

LEO
Now I’m good, but not good enough to throw up on command. So I dry heaved for a bit and settled down. “Thanks, man,” I said. “I got really scared for a second.” Luis patted me on the back and said, “It’s OK, homie. We got you” and gave me some water. Which felt awesome since that rag had drained all the moisture out of my mouth. Now I knew I had a rational and sympathetic ear to drip some honey into. Time to work my magic.

“Hey, Luis,” I said. “It’s getting really late and we have early classes tomorrow.” He started to interrupt, but I cut him off, saying “I know I can’t ask you to untie us and let us go home, but can you at least move us away from all the noise? So we can try to get some sleep? This could take a while and if Nate’s grades begin to suffer because of sleep deprivation you’ll have his mom to deal with. And from what I’ve heard, you definitely don’t want that. There’s enough room against the wall back there for four chairs.”

Luis thought for a second and said “You’re right. Let me see what I can do.” And he went over to Omar. With the Seniors topside and Jaquan MIA, Omar was the ranking Brother on hand, so I guess it was his decision to make. They talked it over for a bit and then Omar called a few guys over.

CODY
That’s when I got real worried. Two guys came over and lifted my chair off the floor. I grabbed the ropes around my wrists and held them so tight behind my back I thought my knuckles would bleed. If they saw the cuts I had made, we were screwed. But thankfully they didn’t. They put me down on the floor against the far support pole and went back to the couch. I thought my heart was gonna burst!

NATE
They brought me next. And I did the same thing. I thought I slipped for a second, but I caught myself before I could drop the rope. They put me next to Cody and then they put Brett next to me.

LEO
Then they came over for me. Luis put my gag back in and said, “Mason’s doing a good job of hiding. You boys might be down here for a while after all. Just try to relax and try to get some sleep. When the game is over, we’ll let you know.” I grunted a “thanks, man” through the gag and watched Luis go back to the couch.

CODY
Now that we were in a place where no one was looking, Nate and I started loosening the ropes around our chests and laps. Slowly and carefully so we wouldn't draw any attention. No quick or big moves. Nate looked like he was going to take them off completely, but I grunted and stopped him.

NATE
Yeah, I almost didn’t realize that we had to leave them on, but loose, for appearances. If someone happened to look over, it had to look like we were still fully tied. It was slow, especially trying to get the ankles without being seen, but eventually we both got it. We’re lucky that Mason managed to keep the Seniors busy for so long. By the way, where did you hide from them? No one had a clue where you were.

MASON
I actually went into the garage. Once Hoss got you, I figured Shane and Danny would give up on waiting for someone come in and turn on the lights. I was betting on them thinking I would consider the garage to be a "danger zone" after what happened to Cody. No one would think to look in there at this point in the game, so it was the perfect place. I crawled under Hoss’ workbench and camped out. No one came near the whole time.

LEO
So by this time, Nate and Cody were ready to go, but there was still the question of how to get around the 10 guys between them and the door. Since everyone is completely hopeless without me, I decided I had to intervene yet again. Now a lesser man than I would be upset that he wasn’t included in the escape plan. I know that I had no chance of untying myself with the mitts over my hands, but still. Even though leaving me behind was the only logical option, a lesser man would hold a grudge. Just sayin’.

CODY
Are you REALLY mad? If you are, I’m sorry. But you know there was no way to get you loose. I actually looked and the mitts were locked with a key. I’m guessing Scott had it. If there was a way to get them off you I was gonna do it and take you with us.

LEO
Cody, if anyone but you said that, I’d scream “bullshit” and call them a liar to their face. But coming from you, I know it’s gospel. Hell, if you told a lie you'd probably burst into flame. And for that I thank you. But no, I’m not mad. Even though I knew that I would be left to their tender mercies after you flew the coop. And even though I knew they would punish me hardcore for my role in your escape. I still wouldn’t have been mad. Maybe I’m reforming? Turning over a new leaf, as it were? Who knows? But anyway, another distraction was needed. I couldn’t pull the sick thing again, though. That only works once. I had to try something else. Something drastic.

NATE
I looked at Cody, waiting for a signal to drop the ropes and run, but he was looking at Leo. As I watched him, Leo started to rock back and forth in his chair. Front to back. At first he wasn’t getting anywhere, but after a few tries he started to tip off the floor, go back down, and then tip up the other way. I thought “He’s not going to do what I think he’s going to do, is he?” But he did. A few more rocks back and forth and Leo toppled over backwards. We were too close to the wall for him to go straight down, but he was leaning against it with two chair legs off the floor. If someone didn’t come to steady him immediately, he’d go down hard.

Cody and I started screaming and howling through our gags, hopping up and down to scrape the chair legs against the floor and grab someone’s attention. Luis looked over and saw Leo about to tip back and he booked over. He grabbed Leo just in time and straightened him back out.

Everyone was looking at us now. About half the guys came over to investigate what was happening with Leo and when they did, Cody and I took advantage of their distraction. BOOM! We were up and running. We slipped past Omar, Luis, and the small group, and then around the couch in a split second. Bryan and Takeshi were on the other side of the room by the scoreboard and the others were sitting near the TV when we bolted. By the time they could react, we were already clear. We raced up the stairs, two at a time. Cody opened the door to the yard and ran out when…

CODY
When Danny grabbed me. He pulled me out onto the lawn and used my own momentum to make me fall flat on my face in the grass. Nate couldn’t stop himself and crashed into Shane, who tripped him down next to me. Then they were both on top of us. We tried to struggle free, but then out came the handcuffs. After that, it was over.

LEO
I heard the shouting from the stairs and that’s when I knew the plan had gone to shit. But don’t blame me. It was executed flawlessly. How could anyone guess that Shane and Danny would realize that neither of them could win, even if one of them caught Mason individually, and decide to head down to the basement for a drink? How could anyone guess that they would be at the door at the exact moment Nate and Cody were making their break for it? I’m good, but I’m not Madame Zostra over here.

NATE
So Shane and Danny picked us up and marched us back downstairs.

“You slackers lose something?” Danny said. Five guys grabbed us and pulled us back inside. And this time they didn’t take any chances. We were shoved face-first into the carpet and they locked ankle cuffs on our feet. Then they used more handcuffs to hogtie us both. Neither one of us took our gags out when we ran, so we both still had those in, too.

“You know, Danny,” Shane said. “I wasn’t keen on bailing, even if we are mathematically out of the running. I thought it was a dirty play. But it looks like your idea bore great fruit. We kept a pair of scoundrels from escaping and ruining the hunt.”

“Speaking of which,” Danny said. “I think we should be awarded points for this. Technically, Shane and I did capture these two. The rules don’t say anything about only one capture being allowed per pledge. What do you think, Shane?”

“I like that idea,” Shane said. “I mean, the rules of the game say that ‘Each Senior, or pair of Seniors, who brings a restrained Pledge into the safe room will be awarded a number of points equal to that Pledge’s Difficulty Rating.’ The rules don’t seem to differentiate whether or not it matters that they were previously turned in. And we definitely returned to restrained pledges. I am in total agreement.”

“Maybe,” Bryan said. He was sort of the gamemaster, I think. “That’s a weird semantic thing and ruling about stuff like that is Brett’s job. I’m not going to make that kind of decision. It’s above my pay grade, anyway. We’ll wait until he comes back.”

“Fair enough,” Danny said, and he plopped on the couch and grabbed a beer. Bryan and Takeshi made some notes on the scoreboard and everyone went back to what they were doing. Except Shane.

CODY
Shane looked pissed. He came over to where we were lying and stood over us. “Boys, boys, boys,” he said. “I am very disappointed in you. You two made a break for it and decided to leave your two brothers behind? I know you’ve only been with us for a week or so, but I hoped we’d have managed to instill at least one lesson into you about brotherhood. I would hope that you'd wait for all four to be ready before escaping.”

Then he walked over to where the empty chairs were and saw the discarded razor blade on the floor. “Ah, the old ‘Smuggle a Sharp Object to Cut the Ropes’ trick,” he said. “An oldie but a goodie.” Then he walked by Leo and saw the mitts on his hands. “Oh, I see,” he said. “Gentlemen, I owe you a half-apology. Seeing the extra precautions taken with Leo’s bindings I can see why he had to be left behind. A tactical decision. Completely understandable. Trying to spring him would have jeopardized the whole mission. But it’s only a half-apology.” Then he walked over to Brett.

LEO
Real sanctimonious-like, Shane says, “But Ray is altogether something else. He was tied in the same manner as you two and he was right next to you, Nate. If he was on the other side of Leo, I could see how springing him would be difficult. But he wasn’t. It looks like you two just decided to save yourselves and leave poor Ray in the lurch. That’s cold. And completely unbecoming of a TUG man.” I know he likes to be dramatic and everything but, man, was he laying it on thick! So then he leans in to Brett and says, “You hear that, Ray? Your two friends decided you were expendable and were going to leave you behind. What do you think about that?” And he grabbed for the bag over Brett’s head.

Bryan yelled, “Wait, Brett said…” but it was too late. Shane pulled the bag off.

Now I know Shane takes great pride in his “p-p-p-poker face,” but even he couldn’t hide his surprise. Dude’s jaw hit the fucking floor when he saw Brett tied to the chair instead of Ray. It was absolutely beautiful.

CODY
That’s when everything went crazy. Brett was red in the face and screaming through his gag. I’m sure glad we couldn’t hear what he was saying, that’s for sure. Half the guys were angry and the other half were laughing their asses off, but everyone was shouting and running around. Except Danny. He just sat smiling on the couch and sipping his beer. A big shit-eating grin. But I don’t think Brett saw that. Shane grabbed some scissors and cut Brett’s hands loose while Gavin took out Brett’s gag. As soon as Brett could talk again, he started shouting, “Where’s my ring? Tell me one of you has my ring!!!” He looked like a demon. I don’t scare easy but I was actually afraid of him at that moment.

LEO
I’ve seen that behavior in people before. It’s what a junkie does when they’re in heavy withdrawal. They’re sweaty and frantic. Irrational and violent. Just like Brett was. The others almost couldn’t get him out of the chair because he was thrashing around so much. But when they did manage to fully free him, he calmed down a little. Trey handed him the bong and after he took a deep hit he seemed to settle down somewhat. But just a little. Shane immediately got on his phone and called someone, but I couldn’t see who he was calling and he went across the room to talk. Brett took a drink of water and then grabbed the walkie. That’s when he made the call you heard.

NATE
Someone uncuffed Cody and me and helped us up while someone else went to release Leo. There was still mass chaos in the basement, but Luis broke away and walked over to us. “Look, guys,” he said. “I think that’s a wrap on the evening. You heard what Brett said. You gotta run along home. Let us handle this.” He looked over his shoulder at Brett, then turned back. “I know it might not look like it right now, but Brett’s going to be OK. Don’t worry.”

I started to say, “Wait, you’ve seen this before?” but Luis shushed me before I could finish. “Everyone in TUG was chosen because there’s something missing in their lives,” he said. “Something they need. Something that TUG can provide. Everyone has their own set of flaws and you’re seeing a glimpse of Brett’s. Don’t let it get to you. Brett needs some very special help and Shane is taking care of that. Just find Mason and Ray, get home safe, and we’ll see you all here tomorrow evening.”

That’s when we all left.

---

Ray was floored. He knew that Brett was intense, but that was altogether unexpected. He figured that the President would be mad, but he had no idea Brett would freak out to THAT extent. “I’m worried about Brett,” he said. “Maybe I should go talk to him. Smooth things over. Tell him I didn’t know taking his ring would affect him so much. I just figured everyone would know we switched if he still had it on. Damn it! I knew I should have put it in his pocket.”

“Don’t beat yourself up,” Cody said. “If you had, you couldn’t have made the order about the bag staying on. Someone would have taken it off him at some point with all the fuss he was making and that would have been it.”

“Yeah,” Leo added. “Talking to Brett right now would be a decidedly bad idea. Trust me on this. Let him cool down and talk to him tomorrow.”

“I guess you’re right,” Ray said grudgingly. “Stupid! Stupid!”

Just then a car came barreling over the horizon. The four pledges hopped up onto the grass as it whizzed past them.

“Fucking asshole!” Ray said, picking up a rock and vainly throwing it after the car. “We’re walking here! That dude almost killed us!”

“Relax, Captain Testosterone,” Leo said. “He was nowhere near us. You’re just het up from all the chaos. When we get back to the dorm I’ll give you a gummi and it’ll calm you down.”

“Thanks,” Ray said. But he didn’t say anything else for the rest of the walk back.

Nate looked back over his shoulder as the car disappeared over the hill that led to Fraternity Row. He could swear that the faculty advisor was driving, but the car went by too fast for him to be sure.

When the group entered the dorm lobby, the night desk assistant was about to say something about Ray’s near-nakedness, but Leo just stepped up and said, “Trust me, my good man. You don’t want to know.” He took Ray by the arm and escorted him up the stairs to his room, Mason in tow.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m beat,” Cody said as they entered their room. “I’m just gonna crash.”

“Yeah,” Nate said. “Me too.” Cody kicked off his shoes and jumped into bed fully dressed. He was out in half a second. Nate smiled as he started to get ready for bed, but stopped when his phone buzzed. It was a text from Hoss.

“U OK?” it read. “I got worried.”

“Fine,” he replied. “Just tired. Going 2 bed.”

There was a long pause and then Hoss replied, “Just want U 2 know that I’m sorry about what’s going to happen tomorrow.”

“???” Nate texted. “What’s happening tomorrow?” But there was no reply.

Coming Soon: Brotherly Bonding finale – The Trial
Bradstick
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bradstick »

Their plan went better than I thought. Cody and Nate about escaped if luck had been on their side. There was no way they could get Leo and they sure as hell would have figured out it was Brett after they escaped.

I’m quite curious what Brett has in store for them. I’m also curious if it’s a group punishment or a ray punishment that all of them are being included in. Can’t wait for the next chapter.
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Tackled at the 10 yard line! They were free and clear, only to be stopped short! I have to applaud these freshmen and their ingenuity, and I expected nothing less from crafty Leo! And what a humble martyr Leo is! It's a shame he would have been left behind, but with his mitts, there really was nothing to be done. I wonder if they would have pulled the bag off Brett's head if Shane and Danny hadn't appeared. How long would the game have gone on otherwise?

And this ring! I need to know about this ring and the advisor, almost as much as Brett needed the ring back in his possession! I really didn't expect this little mystery to pop up in this story, and darn it, I need answers!

I'm also wondering if the stuff in store tomorrow is from Brett, or if it's the advisor...
My M/M Stories Here
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

Leo's a cocky little thing, eh? I almost hope something happens to take him down a peg, like some major tickling or something to give him some humility. :twisted:

Absolutely awesome near-conclusion to this arc and setup of a new mystery. Perhaps Brett had a struggle with addiction and his ring is something like a sobriety token? In any case with the advisor hurrying to help it seems like it's a big ol' conspiracy. I'm excited to learn more.

And go Mason, Nate, and Cody!

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

Brotherly Bonding part 9: The Trial – part 1

Nate didn’t sleep well that night. Hoss’ text kept playing over and over in his mind as he laid in bed, staring at the ceiling, making him envision more and more fantastical and outlandish situations with each passing hour. When he finally did manage to fall asleep, he was tortured with ominous dreams. He dreamed of five comets, racing across the night sky, but one broke off from the pack and crashed to earth. He dreamed of five masterwork paintings, but one would slowly start to fade and rot, until it was an empty frame with nothing remaining but tattered scraps of canvas. When Cody woke up the next morning and started to get ready for class, Nate showed him Hoss’ text, but Cody didn’t seem to think it was that big of a deal. Nate didn’t mention the dreams.

“Ray’s probably going to get chewed a new one tonight,” Cody said. “Maybe you and Mason, too, since you knew he had the ring and didn’t try to get him to give it back. But that’s it.” Cody put an encouraging arm around Nate. “Don’t get too worried. It’s like the second day. They’re not going to go all psycho over this. Brett just wants to pull his cock out and wave it around because Ray embarrassed him. That’s it. I may sound like Leo when I say this, but you worry too much.”

“You saw Brett as well as I did,” Nate said. “He looked sick. I don’t think he’s going to let this drop so easy.”

“You gotta relax or you’re going to give yourself ulcers,” Cody said, buckling his belt and checking his hair in the mirror. “And besides, you should be happy. You already got Hoss texting you at night. That boy is on you like a hog on slop.”

“Jesus, does everyone know?” Nate said, nearly coughing his toothpaste up into the sink.

“Well, you’re not exactly discreet with the longing glances,” Cody joked. “Neither of you are. Scott’s been messaging me about. He and Hoss are best bros, you know. But don’t worry. We both approve. Hoss is a little rough around the edges… actually a LOT rough around the edges… but he’s got a good heart. I can tell. He’ll treat you right. He’d better. You’re family and I don’t take it well when people disrespect my family.”

Nate didn’t know what to say. His relationship with his own family wasn’t exactly strained, but there was tension. It would be even more so once his parents learned he was hooking up with a Senior. Especially a MALE one. They knew about his sexual orientation, but it wasn’t something that was talked about much. His dad had made a few comments here and there about ‘carrying on the family name’ that Nate could tell were heavily loaded, but that was pretty much the extent of it. He wondered what he was going to do for Parents’ Weekend when his mom and dad would meet Hoss for the first time. That was still a few weeks away, but the thought still nagged him.

He had a hard time concentrating in class all day. The dread of what was awaiting them all at the TUG house that evening couldn’t be suppressed and it really drew most of his focus away from his studies. It got worse when he met up with Mason in Physics.

“Ray isn’t going to classes today,” Mason said. “He dropped into bed as soon as we got back to the room and just laid there. I don’t think he slept. I told him to call me if he needed anything but he just ignored me.” That made Nate’s stomach churn. After classes, the two met up with Leo and headed to the dining hall, where Cody would join them after his afternoon History class let out. Leo was all smiles, as usual, and tried his best to soothe Nate and Mason’s nerves, with precious little success.

“Hey Nate, look left,” he said at one point, after Cody had arrived and sat down with the group. “Nine o’clock.” Nate swiveled in the direction Leo indicated and didn’t see the uneaten apple get swiped from his tray by Leo’s nimble fingers.

“Huh?” he said. “What’s over there?”

“Keep looking,” Leo said, taking a bite. “You’ll see it.” Nate focused his vision and scanned the crowd. After a few seconds, he saw what Leo was talking about. A massive figure was leaning up against the wall by the tray return. Clad in the blue-and-white colors of DIX. Nate slowly turned back to the group. “There are three others,” Leo said. “A gold star for anyone who can spot them all.”

“They’re still on that?” Cody said dismissively. “I thought Ray set them straight the other day.”

“Nope,” Leo said. “They’re still on heavy surveillance detail. Been doing it since Sunday. Just between us, keeping tabs on their movements is one of the things Brett tasked me with doing this week. And I’ve had my hands quite full in that regard.”

Mason gritted his teeth. “One of the things?” he said. “I guess we shouldn’t ask what the others are.” Leo just smiled and touched the end of his nose.

“But they won’t make any moves,” Leo said. “They just want to loom and look imposing. To scare us. I walked right up to one or two of them at various times and asked if they needed help with anything. They scowled and snarled, but didn’t do anything. They can’t. No open hostilities during Rush Week.”

“But Rush Week ends Saturday night,” Cody said. “After that we should probably watch our backs.”

“Wonderful,” Nate said, mashing his half-eaten meatloaf with his fork. “That’s all we need right now.”

“You have nothing to worry about, bubeleh,” Leo said. “You’ve got a 300-pound monster on a leash who has made it quite clear that anyone who messes with you is going to be having dinner with Betty White and Sydney Poitier.” Leo made some kissy faces and Cody and Mason broke out into laughter.

“Too soon, man,” Nate said, throwing his crumpled-up napkin at Leo and failing to hide his own smile. At that moment, with all of them there, he felt a lot less worried. He felt an energy flowing between them. Something he couldn’t quite identify. It felt strangely incomplete, but it was there. “But it’s time to go. We have an appointment to keep.”

“What about Ray?” Cody said.

“He’ll meet us there,” Mason answered. “He texted me before. Said he didn’t feel like eating. Once everything is over and done with we’ll probably stop back in here on the way home and grab some night snacks. He’ll be OK. He’s just psyching himself out over tonight.”

As the group made their way to the tray return on their way out, Leo broke ranks and walked right up to the DIX goon standing nearby. It was Mountain #3. With a smarmy grin he laid the tray down on the floor at the brute’s feet. “Here you go, Jeeves,” he said. “Be a dear and dispose of that for me. Spit spot!” A burning hatred flared in Mountain #3’s eyes, but just as Leo suspected, he didn’t make a move. “Heh,” Leo scoffed. “That’s what I thought.” Chuckling, the group turned and left the cafeteria.

---

Ray was waiting for the group outside the gate to the TUG house when they arrived. He was wearing regulation jeans and sneakers, but no shirt. “I was going to grab a plain white T,” he said, “but I don’t know if they’d consider that ‘out of uniform.’ I don’t want to piss them off any more than I already have.”

Leo looked around and saw a gaggle of Delta sisters watching Ray thirstily from their front porch nearby. Ogling his bod and making kissy faces. “Sure,” he said. “THAT’S the reason. Obviously.” Ray tried to stifle his grin, but couldn’t. He let out a quick chuckle.

“Thanks, man,” he said. “I needed that.” He gave the girls a few quick poses and then looked up at the TUG yard’s gate. “Well, can’t delay any more. It’s time to go inside and face the music.” He turned and opened the gate, the others falling into line behind him as he walked along the path to the front door. Ray knocked and Scott answered.

“You’re here,” Scott said. But there was something wrong. His voice wasn’t light and jovial like it usually was. It was deadly serious. Completely out of character for him. His dress also registered strangely. Nate and Leo immediately realized that he was wearing the red T-shirt and camo pants that the group wore on the hill during the Sophomores’ ceremony a week ago. Nate had only given the Rulebook a cursory scan on Sunday, but he knew that this outfit was reserved for official business only. If Scott was wearing it, something very serious was going on inside. The hair on Nate’s neck stood up as Scott stepped aside and ushered the boys in.

The 10 underclassmen lined the hall on both sides, in official formation and all dressed the same as Scott. The five Seniors stood at the head, forming a barrier between the pledges and the interior of the house. Scott took his place with them after he closed the door. Brett was in the center, wearing his black T-shirt of office. The five pledges stopped dead in their tracks.

“Raymond Flannery,” Brett said, the full power of his position behind his voice. “You are hereby charged with violation of the sacred laws of Tau Upsilon Gamma. You have been summoned to appear before a disciplinary tribunal of your Brothers. If you are found guilty, the penalty is expulsion from our ranks. Submit yourself to our custody and face judgement. Refusal to do so will be an admission of guilt and the punishment will be carried out immediately.”

Ray was floored. He was expecting extra chores, or some forced workouts, or maybe a paddling from the large wooden implement Brett kept on his office wall, but not this. His arms and legs turned to jelly and he could barely maintain enough strength to stand. All his usual bravado drained from his face. “I… uh…” is all he could stammer. Then he lowered his head and said, “I understand.” The other four stood in shocked silence. Even Leo had nothing to say.

“Sergeant-at-Arms,” Brett said, looking at Hoss, who was standing to his left. “Take the accused into custody and bring him to the tribunal chamber.” Hoss gave a heartbroken look at Nate, and then stepped out of formation, retrieving a pair of handcuffs from his belt. The pledges looked on in horror as Hoss slowly approached Ray. Ray kept his head down, brimming with shame, and did not resist as Hoss brought his hands behind his back into proper arrest position. Hoss was as gentle as he could be, but he still had to be thorough and professional. Ray stared at the floor in silence as the bracelets were ratcheted closed around his wrists and double locked. When his prisoner was fully secured, Hoss placed his giant hand on Ray’s shoulder and pushed him forward with as much sympathy as he could. Ray was silent as he was led past the assembled Brothers and around the corner to the basement stairs. His usual swagger and confidence was nowhere to be seen. He looked broken. Defeated. Like a man being led to the gallows.

“As for the rest of you,” Brett continued. “You will be allowed to watch the proceedings. This will be a good learning experience for you. TUG regulations require Pledges to be bound during any and all ritual business, so place your hands behind your backs and remain silent.” Confused and shocked, the four pledges slowly brought their hands behind them as if they were experiencing a shared nightmare. Four Sophomores stepped forward, each holding silken ropes, and began tightly binding their hands. And the four could feel that this was all business. None of the playful undertones that their previous bindings had. The severity of the situation was apparent.

Cody, Nate, and Leo could do nothing to hide their bewildered faces, but Mason was stone. Nate had never seen his lab partner so angry before. Mason glared at Brett with barely contained rage, but the chapter president ignored him. “During the tribunal you will conduct yourselves with decorum and be completely silent unless spoken to. Some of you may be called to give testimony, if necessary, so you will not be gagged during the proceedings. But that can be changed if you are caught speaking out of turn. Other than that you will not participate or interfere in any way. Any unscheduled outbursts and you will be cast from the chamber. Do you understand?”

A feeble chorus of “yes, sir” rose from the pledges as the ropes around their wrists were knotted off and the Sophomores returned to formation. They were all too stunned to say anything else. Without any further words, Brett turned and stomped off down the hall. The remaining Actives followed him, the dumbfounded pledges trudging behind.

Sensing Nate’s terror, Cody nudged his roommate’s shoulder as they moved down the hall. “I’m sure this is all for drama,” he said in hushed tones. But he only half sold it. “It’s just some big hoobajoob ritual to put the fear of God into Ray. You’ll see.” But Nate didn’t look convinced. Cody didn’t either.

When they reached the basement, Nate saw that a table had been erected on the dais, draped in the red-and-gold colors of TUG. The five Seniors took their seats behind it, all on the same side and facing into the room. Ray himself was seated on a small wooden stool with no cushion in the center of the basement, facing the table. The same place where the prisoners’ chairs had originally been the night before. The stool itself was locked inside a heavy steel cage. It was slightly larger than the one Cody had been confined in at the Bid Night party, but it was hardly roomy. Measuring only 5’ on any side, there was barely enough room for the cuffed and half-naked Ray to sit without bumping his head on the top. A chain had been secured around his neck with a heavy padlock and it was secured to a D-ring on the floor of the cage. It left plenty of slack, but Ray still sat with his head lowered and his shoulders drooping. Nearby, his pledge shirt was displayed on a wooden clothes hanger, suspended from the ceiling and hovering about four feet above the floor. Under it was a metal tub with a barbecue lighter placed prominently on the floor beside.

The Sophomores and Juniors took their seats in the gallery on either side of the room. Four wooden chairs had been set up against the far wall for the pledges, facing the Seniors’ table. The same chairs and in the same place as the previous night when Nate and Cody made their escape. Leo immediately realized that was intentional. Exchanging worried looks, the four sat down. Barely visible in the shadows off to the side of the dais, the faculty advisor stood silently. An unreadable expression on his face, but the signs of tension were clearly noticeable in his body language.

Brett banged his gavel and addressed the crowd. “Brothers of TUG,” he bellowed. “The Pledge Raymond Flannery is hereby charged with the high crime of theft. Theft of the Presidential Ring. One of the most sacred artifacts of our Fraternity. It is a most serious and treasonous offense.” He focused his attention on Ray. “If found guilty, you will be cast out of our ranks and your pledge shirt ceremonially burned. Your name will be stricken from our lips as if you never were.” Ray shuddered as Brett spoke. “Pledge? How do you plead?”

“I… I didn’t know…” Ray stammered. His head was bowed and his eyes stared straight at the floor. The chains clanked and jangled ominously with every movement he made. Leo wanted to shout “Don’t say anything! They have to prove your guilt! Don’t give them any ammunition!” but a quick look and slow headshake from Scott silenced him before he could speak.

Nate couldn’t bear to look. Normally so confident and self-assured, Ray was a broken mess. He looked like he was about to start crying. Instead, Nate looked up at the Seniors at the head table, desperate to read their intentions. See that they were up against. Hoss saw Nate looking and averted his gaze immediately. He couldn’t even maintain eye contact. That wasn’t good. The others had a mixture of stoic intensity and… pity? It was hard to tell. Especially Shane. Ray was his Little Bro, so this must be hitting him doubly hard, Nate thought. But it was Danny’s reaction that jumped out at Nate most. He was making no effort to hide the scowl on his face. He was furious. But was he mad at Ray? No. That wasn’t it. He was mad at… this. Nate felt a faint glimmer of hope.

Brett stood up, “I direct the tribunal’s attention to the Pledge Handbook, page 38 paragraph 2,” he said, placing a copy down on the table. “I assume the pledges are all familiar with it since we told you on Saturday it was required reading. But in case it slipped your mind, Danny, would you please do the honors?” Brett looked directly into Danny’s scowling face and the two locked eyes for a moment, then Danny grudgingly picked up the book.

Still scowling, Danny opened it and read aloud, haltingly. “’The TUG Presidential Ring is one of the Founding Artifacts of the fraternity. It is a symbol of the authority granted to the Chapter President. As such, it is expressly forbidden for anyone other than the president, his chosen successor, or the faculty advisor, to touch it with bare skin under any circumstances. Doing so is a grievous crime and is subject to disciplinary action for the perpetrator, up to and including expulsion.’ Brett, we know all this. There’s no need to rub it in.”

“Thank you, Danny, for your reading,” Brett said, cutting him off. “And your unnecessary interjection has been noted. Shane, please log that insubordination in the transcript.” Danny slammed the book shut and slid it away in disgust. “So, Ray,” Brett said. “What do you have to say for yourself?”

“This is bullshit,” Leo whispered to Cody. “Ceremony is ceremony, but there’s no reason for Brett to be so nutso about this. Something else is going on.” Cody nodded, but he wasn’t really listening. He was too busy trying to calm Mason down. The diminutive Freshman was seething. Seeing such blatant disrespect being shown to both his best friend and his Big Brother was almost too much for him to take. It was all Cody could do to keep him in his seat.

“You’re right,” Nate whispered. “Look at the faculty advisor. He’s not happy, either.” There was an intense, but concerned look in the advisor’s eyes. Normally, he was impossible to read, but at this moment, the thoughts running through his head were etched clearly across his face.

“I didn’t know it would be such a big deal,” Ray said. “Once we realized we were being hunted, I came up with the idea to turn the tables. Have us take out the Seniors, instead. And it was all my idea. Mason and Nate had nothing to do with it.” Shane made a note of that in his log. “Once I knocked you out, I realized we were around the same size, so I switched clothes with you. I thought that if I could pass myself off as you then I could get closer to the others and take them down unawares.” Scott quickly grinned, but made sure Brett didn’t see. “I figured I needed to take the ring so no one would know it was really you under the bag. If anyone saw it on your finger, they’d know it wasn’t me. I had gloves on. I could have covered it up with tape… I could have put in in your pocket… I could have…”

Leo was repulsed. This was pathetic. And totally unnecessary. Brett seemed to be getting off on watching Ray squirm and blubber. From their past interactions, Leo knew that Brett enjoyed being in power, but he never seemed cruel or sadistic before. This was over the line. Majorly over the line. A sardonic smile passed Brett’s lips. Danny looked absolutely disgusted. “So he admits it!” Brett said. “No need for further questioning. Gentlemen, I think that’s all we need to hear. It’s time to vote.”

Coming Soon: The Trial – part 2
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

While Brett is definitely way out of line, I have to admit that even blinded by rage, the "Trial" setup is thrillingly effective at eliciting submission. The forced submissive posture and restraint caused by the stool and cage, the implied threat of the shirt and lighter, the panel of seniors? Totally a masterclass in atmospheric influence.

Hopefully the advisor steps in should things get out of hand, but... if Ray should end up expelled from TUG, it'd sour a lot of relations and change up the whole dynamic.

Bradstick
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bradstick »

Brett needs to play this very carefully. If he expels Ray, the pledges are going to turn on TUG. Nate and Mason are already pissed currently. If they boot Ray, they may very well leave. I don’t see Cody or Leo staying if the other three leave. Even if the Cody and Leo stayed, loosing 3 pledges in rush week on day 2 would be humiliating for the frat.

This is quite dramatic, I’m so excited for the next chapter.
blackbound
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by blackbound »

"I had gloves on" means it wasn't bare skin. Suck it, Brett.
gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

I sincerely hope this is mostly for show, like Cody said- a bunch of dick waving. I can only hope the other seniors prove it with their votes. If not, I suspect what the others have already stated. If Ray gets expelled from the frat, Mason won't be far behind, and the others will quickly follow. This vote is going to prove to be the future of the TUGs house, and their standing/reputation along with it.

I have to applaud the other pledges for not speaking up. I'm not sure I would have been able to stay quiet. Especially considering the fact that Brett himself said that this weekend wasn't about rituals or memorizing the TUG rulebook, but building bonds with their big brothers and fellow pledges. I'd argue that the ring violation pales in comparison to the clear bonding this weekend was intended for.

I really hope Ray can stay, and that Leo can snoop some more information about why this ring is so important... this ring and that advisor worry me. I really hope our pledges aren't getting in over their heads.
My M/M Stories Here
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]wataru14[/mention] Hey buddy! Really glad to see this is still going strong.
I took a break a while ago, but am now picking up where I originally left off.

I just finished my readthrough of "Brotherly Bonding part 1 – The Afterparty" during which Hoss and Clay AKA "Mountain 2" are about the rip each other's heads off. I must say, the Faculty Advisor appearing at the right time and punctuating his entry with what I assume must be a silly-sounding bicycle bell had me cracking up. Even more so when he later departs and rings that same bell to punctuate his exit!

What a hilarious image that paints for us :lol:
“Scout’s honor,” Cody said, holding up two fingers. “At first I didn’t think he was the type, but I’ll bet my belt buckle the big ox is sweet on you.”
It seems that Cody is very observant. Either that or Hoss is easily readable. Or both!
Either way, I enjoy Cody's ability to spin a phrase. This one stood out quite a bit for me.

I'll be keeping you posted as to my progress.
As always, phenomenally well done!
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

Glad to have you back, [mention]bondagefreak[/mention]! Feedback from the master storyteller is always appreciated!
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

The Trial – part 2

There were hushed murmurs from the crowd, and nervous shifting of weight from the Seniors.

Brett sat down in his place at the head of the table and cast his vote. “Guilty,” he said. Then he looked at Danny. “Vice-President?”

“This is bullshit and you know it,” Danny said. “There’s no need for this. Not Guilty!”

“So you’re saying you don’t think he did it?” Brett asked. “You just heard him admit it.”

“No,” Danny said smugly. “He did it all right, but I’m not going to punish him for it. You’ve taken enough law classes to know what jury nullification is, Mr. President. So I repeat: NOT GUILTY.”

“Always have to cross me,” Brett said, turning the ring once on his finger. “One of these days your insubordination is going to catch up with you.” Danny and Brett locked eyes again. The tension was so heavy it made it hard to breathe. The faculty advisor cleared his throat, quite obviously, and the two broke their staring contest. But the tension remained. “Sergeant-at-Arms?” Brett said, snapping his head towards Hoss.

Hoss looked down. “Guilty,” he said, barely audibly. “Rules are rules. Ray should have read the book. I’m sorry.”

“Secretary?” Brett said, a small smile forming on his lips. That's two to one. One more "Guilty" vote and it was finished.

Shane paused for a second. He looked at Ray, then at Brett. His face was stone. “Abstain,” he said. “I’m too close to this. Ray is my Little Bro. I can’t be objective so I will sit this one out.”

“Noted,” Brett said, slightly gritting his teeth. He was counting on a Guilty vote from Shane to cinch a majority, regardless of what shenanigans Scott was planning. But now his verdict wasn’t assured. Brett wasn’t happy about this turn of events, but he was forced to accept it. Shane was perfectly within his rights to recuse himself. It was the smartest plan. “Of course you want to try to keep your own hands clean,” Brett scoffed. “Why am I not surprised? You have your nice-guy image to maintain. Social Chair?”

“Oh, Not Guilty!” Scott said. “Elebenty jillion percent Not Guilty. This guy did something so epic they’re going to be talking about it for decades. Punishing that would be the real crime. Sorry, Brett. But this isn’t going to happen on my watch.”

“Of course the twins decide to shit on the rules and vote as a bloc,” Brett growled. “I should have known Danny would draw you into his little power play. Never could think for yourself, could you, Scott?” Scott looked like he was going to say something quite crass, but Danny shushed him, shaking his head.

“What the hell is wrong with Brett?” Cody whispered. “He was so friendly at the party. But now he’s going full-on paranoid psycho. Is this what he’s really like?”

“No,” Leo said. “Not like this. He’s stern, and rigid. There’s a stick up his ass a mile long, but this is… He’s taking this personally. I can read people pretty well and from what I saw in his office Saturday night, this isn’t like him at all. There’s something seriously fucked up going on here.”

“The vote is tied,” Brett said, the frustration clear in his voice. “As per the bylaws, in this situation, the faculty advisor breaks the tie.” After saying this, Brett’s expression changed. He grinned from ear to ear, confident of his victory. Danny and Scott frowned. They knew how close Brett and the advisor were. There was no way he was going to vote against Brett. “A valiant coup attempt, Danny,” Brett smirked, “but not good enough. Sir, the floor is yours.”

Mason couldn’t stand it any longer. Brett and the advisor had been joined at the hip since he first met them. The verdict was a foregone conclusion. But they weren’t going to get away with this travesty. Not if he had anything to say about it! Mason kicked away Cody’s leg and stood up, fire in his eyes. “Enough of this bullshit!” he cried.

“Pledge!” Brett barked, rising from his seat, “you are out of order. You were warned about this. Leave the room immediately! If you do not, then I’ll have Hoss escort you out and we’ll draw up YOUR expulsion hearing!”

“Go fuck yourself you authoritarian windbag!” Mason shouted. The gallery erupted in shocked gasps as Mason stormed up to Ray’s cage. His hands were still bound behind his back, but that didn’t stop him. He looked like he would march through the gates of Hell itself. Mason stood directly in front of Ray’s cage, forming a barrier between him and Brett. “What the fuck is wrong with you, Brett? You’re willing to expel a pledge on Day Three because he broke some bullshit rule?” Brett started to say something, but Mason shouted over him. “Sit the fuck down and shut your goddamn mouth!” Brett was floored at Mason’s outburst and took a step back, in spite of himself. The other Seniors were in complete disbelief at what they were seeing. All except Danny, who was grinning from ear to ear.

“And don’t start with that ‘sacred artifact’ crap. That ring is just a thing. A trinket. An object. It’s not a person. Ray is a person! He didn’t betray his Brothers, he didn’t steal (even if that’s what you’re calling it), he didn’t hurt anyone. The only thing hurt is your pride! You can’t stand that he captured you and embarrassed you in front of the others and THAT’S why you’re doing this! And I’m not going to stand by and let it happen! Ray has always been there for me when I needed him. He’s had my back more times than I can count and I’m going to pay him back if it kills me!” Mason wriggled and squirmed, then slipped his hands free from the ropes that bound him. He grabbed the hem of his pledge shirt and pulled it up over his head. Standing barechested, he held the balled-up shirt in front of him at arm’s length. “If you’re going to kick him out, then I’m going with him!” And he tossed the shirt into the metal tub. He indicated the barbecue lighter. “If you’re going to burn his, you can go ahead and burn mine too!” A look of triumph lit up Danny’s face.

“You’re damn right!” Cody said, standing up. “If this is what TUG is really like when the chips are down, then I don’t want no part of it, either. Brett, I respect you, I really do. But you’re acting like a gosh-dang fool right now. And I can’t be part of something that’s going to railroad a good man.” He stood beside Mason, reinforcing the wall protecting Ray.

Nate and Leo stood up at the same time. “One for all, and all for one,” Nate said. “We’ve only been here a few days, but the five of us are family now. We don’t need Greek letters or rituals to know that. What we have is more important. And when something is important, you defend it. No matter what!”

“If you’re going to expel one of us,” Leo chimed in, “then we’re all going with him.” Two more pledges joined the line.

Brett was red with rage. He couldn’t form coherent words. Everyone else was dead silent. The tension hung in the air so heavily Nate was afraid he would suffocate. And then Danny stood up. “Never before has an entire Pledge Class threatened to quit,” he said. “And this sham of a hearing is the reason. It’s a clear abuse of power and a perversion of everything we stand for. At the present time, Brett is mentally unfit to lead. I move that we hold a vote of No Confiden…”

“That will be quite enough of that!” the faculty advisor shouted, stepping into the light. The normally mild-mannered professor summoned enough force in his voice to stop everyone dead in their tracks. He could command a room with subtle words and gestures, but an overt display of force was something no one had seen before. Nate and Cody had seen a hint of it last Saturday when he threatened the DIX goons, but this was a whole other level above even that. The Brothers exchanged worried glances. “One issue at a time. Let us not forget that I still have the floor and I have yet to render my decision. The Vice-President’s motion can wait until this business is settled.”

The four pledges stood in a tight phalanx in front of Ray’s cage, shoulder to shoulder. Five standing as one animal, united in purpose. “Gentlemen, what you have witnessed here is the concept of Brotherhood in its truest and purest form. Five men (it is no longer appropriate to call them ‘boys’) who barely know each other, willing to go to bat for one of their own. And risking their futures at the same time.” He turned to the five pledges. “You know TUG has connections all over the professional and political world. It’s not just about horseplay and beer pong. And those connections can be used for good or bad.” He looked at Leo and Nate specifically. “I’m sure you two have a pretty good idea of what kind of blacklist you could end up on for doing this.”

“And yet…” the advisor went on, addressing the Actives before anyone could respond, “they’re still willing to risk it. Would any of you do the same thing for your Brother? Could you bring yourself to risk your fast track to success for someone else? I became your advisor at the request of one of this chapter’s distinguished alumni. An old friend who said the group needed a firm hand to instill the important lessons. In that time, not ONE of you has shown the kind of spirit that I’m looking for. But they have. And I cannot punish that. I will not allow it.”

Brett looked at the floor, ashamed. “However, I know what the rules state,” the advisor said. “So I am forced to vote Guilty.” Before anyone could say a word in reaction, the advisor continued. “Buuuuuuuuut, there will be no more talk of expulsion. Put that right out of your beer-addled skulls, kiddies. The laws state ‘UP TO’ expulsion. There’s no need to go that far. It is my recommendation that Pledge Ray be sentenced to memorize the handbook by this time next week. Ignorance of the law is no protection against breaking it, after all. So there has to be SOME punishment. This, however, is excessive and you all know it.” He walked over to Brett and stared directly into the Chapter President’s face. Brett looked away instantly. “I know the final decision is yours, Brett, but I STRONGLY recommend you follow my suggestion.”

Cowed, Brett turned and sat in his chair as the advisor returned to his place in the shadows. “It is the decision of this tribunal that Pledge Raymond Flannery is Guilty of the crime of stealing the Presidential Ring. And, taking the faculty advisor’s words into account… I set the sentence as suggested. Pledge Ray, you have one week to memorize the handbook. Cover to cover. You will be periodically quizzed to assure compliance. If, at the conclusion of one week, you have not performed your duties satisfactorily, further steps will be taken.” Brett looked at the Five. He seemed to have aged ten years in five minutes. “I trust that is acceptable to all of you?”

Everyone looked at Mason. This was his call. An unspoken pact was made between the five. All four would follow his lead. Where he went, so did they. With his jaw still steeled and fire still in his eyes, Mason slowly nodded. Brett banged his gavel. He said, “Then this tribunal is over,” and slumped in his chair, haggard and tired.

“Hoss,” the advisor said, slinking up to Brett’s side. “Get that poor boy out of there and give him and Mason their shirts back. Pledges know better than to be out of uniform at an official function. It’s all there in the book.” He flashed a quick grin before placing his hands on Brett’s shoulders. “Brett? You and I need to have a talk in your office.” There was a strangely uncharacteristic tenderness in his voice. Without a word, Brett weakly rose from his seat and ascended the stairs into the house. The advisor followed closely behind.

Danny descended on Mason like a flash and lifted him off the floor, hoisting him onto his shoulders like he just won the Super Bowl. “And I say we all have a drink in honor of the most badass thing I’ve ever seen!” he said. “I always knew you had it in you, kid. Anyone who says you’re not tough as nails has their head up their ass.” Hands flew from all sides, patting Mason on the back and shaking his hands. Hoss said nothing as he unlocked Ray’s cage and helped the exhausted Freshman out and onto his feet. Scott sauntered over and started untying the other three pledges while Shane grabbed the keys from Hoss and started releasing Ray from his chains.

When Ray was free and rubbing his wrists, he looked at Shane with a hurt expression. “I thought you would, at least, have my back,” he said. “But you didn’t vote Not Guilty.”

Shane looked over at Danny, who gave a small nod. “Ray,” he said. “You may not see it clearly right now, but things had to go this way. If I voted Not Guilty, Scott’s vote would have shut the whole thing down. Brett had to lose, but it couldn’t be that way. It would have destroyed him. The decision had to go to the advisor. It was the only way to save you and not crush Brett in the process. The three of us had this all worked out.”

Ray took Shane’s words in. “I guess I understand,” he said, putting his pledge shirt back on. “But Brett is beginning to scare me. And I don’t scare easy.” Shane grinned as Ray’s swagger began to slowly come back.

“He scares all of us sometimes,” Shane said. “But you five aren’t the only ones who would go to bat one of your own. We’re all trying to help him in our own way. But it’s a delicate situation. Brett used to be…”

“No need for that kind of talk right now,” Scott said. “Ray had a big day. No need to weigh him down with heavy shit. I say it’s time to celebrate.” Danny put Mason down and gave Ray a hearty hug.

“You all would really have done that?” Ray asked his Brothers. “For me?”

“We meant what we said,” Nate answered for all of them. “No doubt whatsoever.”

“Even you, Cody?” Ray said.

“Now just what’s that supposed to mean?” Cody said, chuckling. “Just because you sucker punched me the other day I’m supposed to hate you forever or something? Come on, man, Brothers get into fights all the time.” Right on cue, Scott smiled wickedly and knocked Danny’s baseball cap off his head. Danny turned and grabbed his twin in a headlock, and in half a second the two were on the floor, wrestling and laughing, Shane trying vainly to pull them apart. “We may not be blood like they are, but we’re a family. Just like Nate said.”

“I never met any of you before last week,” Nate said, “but now I can’t imagine how I would be able to go on without you. Any of you. That’s what family does.” He gave Ray a giant hug, that was joined by the other three pledges. “When we’re together, there’s something magical about it. I know you all feel it, too.”

“Well, I hate to be a party pooper and interrupt this manly love-fest,” Leo said, breaking away from the group, “but I have to be leaving.”

“What?” Mason asked. “Where are you going?” Hearing this, Danny and Scott cut their brawl short and stood up to join the group.

“Unless I miss my guess,” Leo said. “Something very VERY important is about to be discussed in that office. And we need to know what it is. Brett is my Big Bro and I’m worried about him. Something is wrong. I want to find out what’s going on, but I have to do it in my own way. I assume that’s OK with you, Mr. Vice President?”

Danny nodded. “Brett hasn’t been himself,” Danny said. “He and I have always had a rivalry, but it’s never gotten this bad. Even when… We butt heads, sometimes, but he’s still my Bro. And if he needs our help, I want to know what we’re up against. So, yes, Leo. You have my permission to gather intel. But do NOT get caught.”

“You really need to tell me that?” Leo said. “Catch you later, losers!” And Leo was gone like a shadow.

When the other four finally broke their hug, Nate looked over to see Hoss standing alone, apart from the crowd. He looked awful. “I’ll be right back,” he said to Cody before heading over.

Hoss didn’t look up when Nate came over and recoiled slightly when Nate touched his arm. “You OK?” Nate asked.

“You must hate me,” Hoss said, still not looking up. “I voted Guilty. And because of that you and your friends almost left forever.”

Nate took Hoss by the hand. “I don’t hate you,” he said. “I could never hate you. I understand why you voted the way you did. You had to. You’re the Sergeant-at-Arms. You’re going to be a cop when you graduate. It’s your job to enforce the rules. You couldn’t vote Not Guilty any more than I could lift your jeep.”

“I thought I was going to lose you,” Hoss said, finally summoning the strength to look Nate in the eye.

“Not a chance,” Nate replied. The two looked at each other for a moment, feeling something growing between them. The rest of the gathered Brothers had paused their conversations and were watching the pair intently. Scott and Cody, in particular, were fixated on the scene. Hoss took Nate by the shoulders and began leaning in, but then saw all the eyes on them and stopped. He jerked his hands free and awkwardly shoved both into his pockets.

“Um, yeah, so…” he stammered, his face turning an adorable shade of red. Scott and Cody shook their heads in disappointment, but then split off from the group to have a secret conversation in the corner.

Nate chuckled. “Let’s go get a drink,” he said. He reached into Hoss’ pocket and pulled out the big man’s mammoth calloused hand. He held it tight in his as they walked over to the cooler. “I have an idea for a social event Sunday night that I want to run by Scott. I think you’ll get a real kick out of it.”

Coming Soon: Brotherly Bonding Epilogue – What Leo Saw
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

Whoa... some real tension there with the stunning trial conslusion! As much as Nate thinks Hoss' vote was due to rigidity in the rules, I rather think it was a combo of Hoss' latent submission and Brett's forceful personality. Meanwhile, it feels like Danny with the attempted vote of no confidence seems less in line with the plan and more gunning for the presidency.

Now I'm even more intrigued by the history of Brett and the faculty advisor...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic