Tale of an Archer (M+/F+ F+/F+ F/M m/f f/f), Chapter 38 - Aftermath and Epilogue - 11/24/2022 - Complete

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

h56jh1 wrote: 1 year ago again you have created a wonderful chapter in this story, looking forward to many more chapters.
I have to, as always, agree to this assessment.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

I like this way that even though the two protagonists were the main focus this chapter, you can tell the conflict is building in the background.
GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago There are so many ways of looking at the future, @Shotrow. I appreciate your comments very much. They take me back to a conversation that I had with the SF author, Gordon Dixon about 45 years ago. He envisioned colonization of other planets where each planet would specialize in a some particular human trait. One planet was military and another was religious.
That's interesting. Seems to be how things play out in a lot of science fiction settings. But isn't some amount of balance important to a society's survival?
GreyLord wrote: 1 year agoAnd who knows what will happen come the Singularity: your vision, my vision, the Terminator's world, or an infinite spread of other possibilities. A lot of our readers might live to see the Singularity. Less chance of that for me. This is enough to make one think about that ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times!"
I don't believe in the Singularity, but I do agree that there are a lot of interesting possible futures ahead of us. I wouldn't say that the story I've written here is "my vision," necessarily... at least I wasn't trying to create a "hard" scifi story or accurate prediction of the future. But, now that I think about it, it is pretty heavily influenced by my values and things that I find plausible.
Last edited by Shotrow 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Mineira1986 for the banner!

Check out my stories on deviantart: https://www.deviantart.com/shotrow
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

I have to admit: It is a heartwarming sight that Jordan Archer and Maddie are so close now. Who would have thought, that the broken despirited Jordan would find his Maddie - again.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit: It is a heartwarming sight that Jordan Archer and Maddie are so close now. Who would have thought, that the broken despirited Jordan would find his Maddie - again.
...very much to the point. At least concerning Jordan. ;)
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

h56jh1 wrote: 1 year ago again you have created a wonderful chapter in this story, looking forward to many more chapters.
You are providing great motivation for us to continue. Thank you, [mention]h56jh1[/mention].

Thank you so much, [mention]slackywacky[/mention]. As you well know, comments give us the energy to continue.
Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago I like this way that even though the two protagonists were the main focus this chapter, you can tell the conflict is building in the background.
Thanks for your comments, [mention]Shotrow[/mention]. I'm glad you still like the story.
Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago That's interesting. Seems to be how things play out in a lot of science fiction settings. But isn't some amount of balance important to a society's survival?
Absolutely. I think of these worlds as the science fiction equivalent of Einstein's thought experiments, if I can offer a very imperfect analogy.
Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago I don't believe in the Singularity, but I do agree that there are a lot of interesting possible futures ahead of us. I wouldn't say that the story I've written here is "my vision," necessarily... at least I wasn't trying to create a "hard" scifi story or accurate prediction of the future. But, now that I think about it, it is pretty heavily influenced by my values and things that I find plausible.
Yes, the Singularity is just another thought experiment. To me, it is possible but not certain. And, no, our invented worlds are not our vision of the future. But you are correct that we put part of ourselves into our stories.

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit: It is a heartwarming sight that Jordan Archer and Maddie are so close now. Who would have thought, that the broken despirited Jordan would find his Maddie - again.
Ah! Could this have happened without the help of the spirit world? Thanks for commenting, [mention]Caesar73[/mention].

Good to see you back, [mention]Nainur[/mention].
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago
Ah! Could this have happened without the help of the spirit world? Thanks for commenting, @Caesar73.
Honestly no :) The higher beings were kind - remains to be seen though how Maddie will adapt to their relationshio - you created a fascinating world [mention]GreyLord[/mention] !
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago .... remains to be seen though how Maddie will adapt to their relationshio ...
Could you explain this "question", please? Do you doubt it's consensual, now?
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Nainur wrote: 1 year ago
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago .... remains to be seen though how Maddie will adapt to their relationshio ...
Could you explain this "question", please? Do you doubt it's consensual, now?
I will try. I was thinking about Maddie feels in her new relationship. "Adapt" was maybe not the correct term though.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago ...
I will try. I was thinking about Maddie feels in her new relationship. "Adapt" was maybe not the correct term though.
Oh, I got that. Well, this will be revealed in the next one or two chapters. But I fail to see the issue. Do you think she is in doubt what's best course, or what?
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Nainur wrote: 1 year ago
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago ...
Oh, I got that. Well, this will be revealed in the next one or two chapters. But I fail to see the issue. Do you think she is in doubt what's best course, or what?

An issue no :) Just an observation by an humble admirer. Nothing more :)
BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

Hey,

Muddy/Maddie makes her triumphant return to the Creek...

And is also really taking to this whole 'actually quite literally being the replacement for his dead wife' thing :P. Usually such things are not meant so literally. Certainly not something I think most people would take well to...

Her pride, as usual, comes though as well, although perhaps now channeled to more useful goals rather then merely seeking to tear everything around her down (not that it was not understandable for her to be that way given her situation).

Also, I have to point out the constant usage of the phrase "polishing his crossbow", for it sounds like a euphemism, even though it is clearly meant literally in context... Perhaps slightly different phrasing would be better, but then again, a Bandit would not be aware of English sayings.

And of course, Angela, having tasted the fruit of love, has her whole life turned upside now by the temptation...

As others have said, conflict seems to be looming closer and closer (and Maddie certainly seems to want to be prepared for it).

---
Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago I don't believe in the Singularity, but I do agree that there are a lot of interesting possible futures ahead of us. I wouldn't say that the story I've written here is "my vision," necessarily... at least I wasn't trying to create a "hard" scifi story or accurate prediction of the future. But, now that I think about it, it is pretty heavily influenced by my values and things that I find plausible.
On that general subject (of the Singularity), not specifically replying to the quoted post... Seems far less likely then people seem to assume.

A: Ignores the fragility of our current global economic system; too much technology and advancement rides on a razor's edge of interconnectivity. This is both a blessing and a curse of course - it speeds up the development of technology, but also makes the whole system far more vulnerable as so many parts have to come together to create anything.

B: Sort of assumes that sentience/intelligence is merely a switch that can be flipped. As the quote (roughly) goes - and I am pretty sure I have said it before in this thread; "If humans were simple enough to understand, then we would be too simple to understand ourselves."

Of course we do not know if sentience is a requirement (or a natural result of) for advanced intelligence, but it does follow... humans are not sentient for any real practical reason. If anything our sentience makes us vulnerable to things like self-doubt.

The human brain is not merely a very complicated computer, it is built in a way we do not fundamentally understand. We cannot just keep adding hardware/chips and get enough processing power and somehow magically create something intelligent; we would need a fundamentally different paradigm to achieve such a thing. And such a thing happening is likely more down to 'luck' (not literally of course) then anything else; slow incremental development is not likely to allow us to reach that stage, not without *something* changing.

---

As to actually reply to the original point of the quoted conversation... I feel like sci-fi often uses the trope of 'specialized planets' because it is an easy world-building tool. It also is a logical extension of exactly what I mentioned above, with our currently already specialized and interconnected economies that only function in conjunction with each other. It feels like a logical evolution of that, so therefore when one comes up with 'the future' it springs to mind.

Of course, all the potential issues with such a thing only get worse when you are talking about trying to make it happen on a system or even galaxy wide scale...
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Thank you, [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention], that you re-joined the wagon here...
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

[mention]TayDay95[/mention], [mention]Caesar73[/mention], [mention]wolfman[/mention], [mention]Beaumains[/mention], [mention]slackywacky[/mention], [mention]banshee[/mention], [mention]NotSeen[/mention], [mention]FabianStr2016[/mention], [mention]Red86[/mention], [mention]Boundcurious[/mention], [mention]Nainur[/mention], [mention]RopeBunny[/mention], [mention]Damsel-Dilara-Dee[/mention], [mention]Jake78045[/mention], and [mention]Bandit666[/mention]

You have posted comments on one of my stories. That is appreciated very much. Please tell me what you think about the Tale of an Archer. If you would like your tag added or removed from this list, send me a PM or a post with that request.

-----

Chapter 26 – Of Confederation, Collaboration, and Conflict
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

Jordan said, "Chief, I hope Tommy has been practicing with the crossbow. I don't know what you were expecting, but I have two hundred new ones for the Creek."

"He has!" Chief Samuel replied, then his face brightened as the message started sinking in. "And so has Amanda and my daughter, too. But two hundred, this is marvelous! We shall speak with the council as soon as you have settled yourself!"

"I can manage this!" interjected Maddie. "I am not needed in the council, surely. If I may, I will oversee the offloading and the preparation for the demonstration if this is still your intention to do it today, Jordan?"

"Yes, Maddie," Jordan replied. "That would be fine! Chief, Amanda, I am at your disposal."

Both of them, and a few elders, were leading the guest-of-honor to the council hut, where other elders were waiting, Healer Angela Wise among them. And Headmaster Kennedy and Dr. McTavrish were already there being entertained. "Jordan Archer! So good to see you again!" Fred Kennedy exclaimed.

Jordan replied, "Headmaster Fred, it is wonderful to see you again, and you as well, Dr. Angus. It is like an entire lifetime has passed since I saw all of you last. I hope all is well back at Unihold. Elders, I am sincerely happy to see all of you again too, although it is sad that we meet today under the threat of war. Elder Angela, it is especially good to see you. Maddie is looking forward to seeing you later."

Jordan looked to Chief Samuel to see how he wanted to conduct this meeting. Would he address the mating first or the hostilities. Either way would be good. Jordan was closely involved in both.

"Shordan Archah, will you please take your seat at the Headmaster's side?" the Chief asked. "We shall hold the meeting in English, but the beginning must be done according to our ways and traditions!"

He alone was standing and started a singsong in Creek, quite melodiously done, and at certain moments the elders shouted along a phrase or two in a relaxed but solemn way. Even if Jordan knew less than he did, he would have known it was a prayer. An invocation of the spirits, for that it was, of course, and their blessings needed several minutes. Oh, how Jordan wished he had mastered Creek at that moment!

Then he sat down as well. There was tea, water, and snacks to be passed around leisurely in a meeting without not much hierarchy. Inside here, they were pretty much equals, seemingly. They started to talk freely about minor matters, which caused no concern and were dealt with in a comparatively brisk fashion, given the Creek tendency to delve into small-talking. They would have done the same without Jordan's, the Headmaster's, and Dr. McTavrish's presence. This was clear.

After a short while, Samuel called the meeting to order again. "Headmaster, I am begging you now to tell us the news you are bringing to us, may it be good or bad. We won't hold it against you!"

Headmaster Kennedy said, "Chief Samuel, thank you for your prayer and kindness. Chief Samuel, Elders, Jordan Archer, I speak to you today about both sad and happy things. Let us talk about the sad things first so we may have them behind us when we get to the happy things. Our great First Colonist, Lou Harriman, found this land filled with tribes speaking different languages and in constant strife, if not actual war, with each other. She knew that colony ships were on the way and could not be stopped.

"Lou determined, and I think rightly, that it was her duty to provide as much protection for the tribes on this planet against the Colonists as she could. Sadly, our history has shown us that advanced cultures overwhelm the less developed ones even though the less advanced might be composed of mighty warriors. The lesser advanced might win a few clashes, but technology and organization swing the balance of power to the more advanced culture.

"Lou's solution was to provide you with a common language first. This opened the possibility that the tribes would communicate with each other and form a united front against the Colonists. Her hope was that this would happen in a way that neither side would have such a clear advantage that they would attempt to destroy the other. Then she arranged for the formation of the Council of Chiefs to facilitate the organization of willing tribes in a kind of confederation.

"This was working pretty well. Lou found that I was of a like mind to her. She turned her communication network over to me, allowing me to stay in contact with the tribes, now known as Bandits. Because of this, the Colonists could be kept at bay. Supremacy of the Colony was avoided and there was a chance to maintain the independence of Bandit tribes.

"Then, the completely unexpected happened, The arrival of new colony ships stopped, and communications with Earth stopped. This should have humbled the Colonists, but that has not happened. The Colony's leader, Admiral Joe Houston, is a very weak man. He cannot settle on a clear direction for the Colony and lead the Colony to accept his choice. The result of his failure is that the Colony has split into different factions. And, alas, more than a few think they have the right to take what they think they need. Others simply do not see the Bandits as human beings with equal rights. Some discard you as primitives merely to be brushed away. I am very embarrassed and know it is a huge insult to you, but I am sure you want to hear the truth, shameful though it is.

"One of the few things that the factions agree on is that you, the Bandits, are impeding their colonization of Newhome and that Lou is responsible for that. Both are correct, of course, but they fail to see the flaw in their desire. Houston finally held a trial for Lou, found her guilty of treason, and sentenced her to hang. Lou learned of this and disappeared about three months ago.

"A good outcome of Houston's weakness is that he has been inept in organizing an effective attack on the Bandits. Bandit tribes willing to be allies have appointed Lou's mate, Buzz Harriman, as your War Chief. As you know, he is Headquartered with the Bucks. He has answered every sally of Houston's in a measured and controlled manner so far.

"I apologize to all of you for being long-winded here. I thought it necessary to summarize what you already knew as a basis for going forward. The most recent news is that a faction led by Magnus Johansson, who is well known to Jordan Archer, plans to bypass Houston's authority and attack the Creek.

"It would be fair for you to ask what my role in all of this might be. I want to see Lou's vision fulfilled as much as possible with the changing circumstances. That vision calls for the Colony and the Bandits to prevail, both strong enough to keep each other in check. That will lead to the best results for all, ultimately. For example, it will remain to you to decide what you would learn from us and how to adapt to specific changes as you think best!

"I had much to do with Jordan Archer coming to you initially. Now, he will provide you the means to defeat Johansson's faction. You can trust him because no man has better reason to hate Magnus Johansson than Jordan Archer. Also, Jordan Archer wants to mate with one of you."

"Dr. McTavrish is with us to begin implementing a new medical program for the Bandits. His investigation of the Messengers-of-Death and the medicine of Healer Wise led him to the conclusion that your Healer's apprenticeship program is excellent as far as it goes. But given the encounters between the Colonists and the Bandits that are sure to arise in the future, more training is needed to deal with the wounds from the Colony's advanced weapons. There is also some suffering that you now endure that can be relieved. It is also likely that contact with Colonists will introduce new diseases into the Bandits just as the Messengers-of-Death were new to us.

"The Unihold medical program requires eight years from a student. Each tribe of Bandits is invited to send someone to study with us. Upon completion of the program, the student will be a Master of Unihold and hold the title Medico. Unihold will guarantee the safety of the trainees, also transport and accommodation. Dr. McTavrish has elected to stay with the Creek as your Medico until you have someone trained."

“Healer Angela, I presume that you will represent the Creek at Unihold?” the Chief asked.

Angela Wise surprised him by answering, “No, I will stay here and apprentice as Dr. McTavrish’s assistant.”

The elders greeted these sentences in silence most times, but the faces hardened, and only now and then a muffled protest or sound of anger was heard. After the Headmaster had finished, all dwelled on the sum of it all for a time, then, hesitatingly, questions were asked, mainly to clarify this or that. For example, did the Headmaster believe that communication with Earth might be restored soon, and how many ships had already failed to arrive? One spoke up in disgust, questioning what deity had given the Colonists the right to come in the first place. He scoffingly asked why there was talk about equal rights when the Colonists came uninvited and were not even guests.

This was maybe the most embarrassing moment, and it was Angela who settled it. "Elder Robert, as I understood, they simply did not know, as they do not know so many things. They did not know we were here already, and their Newhome is our old-and-only-home. They did not even imagine the possibility we could be here, and when Lou found out, it was too late. They could not be stopped, for their travel was like a canoe on a fast-flowing river tackling rapids. They could not go back."

These words were greeted with dismayed acceptance. Chief Samuel spoke after listening to what his elders had to say, "We Creek are a peace-loving folk, in comparison with some other tribes. I know of no incident for generations in the past when the Creek went out to attack other people. But we have always defended our rights and protected ourselves. We are strong on our own ground!"

There was much acclaim for his words. "We will be strong and defend what is ours. But to our misfortune, we are settled closer to Kenn-and-Eddie than other tribes except the Kens, and the Headmaster has informed us that one of the next attacks will fall heavily on us! Headmaster! Cannot these people be convinced that they will have to adapt themselves and find free land peacefully? I see what Angela has said. So I won't deny them the right of liberty and happiness, as they are here, but why are they denying us our much older rights?"

The Headmaster answered, "Elder Angela speaks words of wisdom, my friends. The Great Lou knew that there was no stopping the events from coming. She forged a path to shape those events to give the newcomers and the Bandits a chance to maintain their cultures and coexist, perhaps with minor conflicts but primarily in harmonious intercourse. Complete segregation would provide constant fuel for distrust and hate. Your problem is that a 'minor conflict' will not seem so minor. It could change the Creek forever or even destroy you. Jordan Archer and I are determined not to let that happen.

"Chief Samuel, the faction planning to attack you has fallen victim to a demigod and given in to perhaps the greatest human weakness, the willingness to blame others for their misfortunes. Without knowing you, they have been persuaded to despise and hate you. If we destroy a significant part of this faction and beat them back, you will have performed a service for the colonists. You will have cut out a cancer growing from within. But it is not likely that the colonists will recognize you for that service."

The Chief replied, "They might do so in generations to come! However, Headmaster, we cannot simply go away, and we won't go down willingly. If the situation worsens, we'll call for help and fight it out. But I wonder if we should move the village after the harvests to enhance the distance, which would be a major undertaking in the best case and will cause much heartbreak! It'll be too late for the upcoming onslaught, for the harvest will start in five or six weeks, and we need the harvest for our survival, but it might better our situation later! What do you think of this?"

Headmaster Kennedy answered, "If the time were available, I would say that moving would be prudent. But I know you need your crops harvested and would have great hardship without it. I saw your fields, and it looks like this will be a good year. How long does it take for you to complete the harvest once it is started? You have between four to eight weeks before you will be attacked. Every person who is not essential for the crops must participate in training for the attack. In my eyes, you have every right to defend your homes!"

This started a lively debate. Finally, Samuel concluded, "We'll certainly train 200 of the able folk, male and female alike, every day for a few hours. All hands must participate in the harvest. We will store the provisions in different places to avoid possible incidents. It can't be helped. We won't be able to move soon. In the upcoming cold, wet months, I fear for the lives of the very young and the old and sick. We must wait until the weather improves after the winter. While the huts and lodges are torn down here to be rebuilt at Chuacawan Valley, the fields there must be prepared for planting. But, Shordan Archah, friend, that will enhance the distance to your plantation considerably, almost trebling it. Will you be able to stay there, anyway?"

Jordan said, "The only answer I can give right now is that I do not know. If we win the battle decisively, perhaps the Creek will not need to move. Much depends on the Colony and whether they will stick with Admiral Houston as their leader. It is hard to see a peaceful solution with him running the Colony, for it is likely he will put the blame upon the Bandits for everything that does not go well. I advise planning for a move but deferring a decision until after the battle. The crossbows we provide the Creek give you a tactical advantage where you are now located. Not knowing the terrain at Chuacawan Valley, I don't know if they would be effective there or not."

"This I do not know rightly either!" responded Samuel. "I do not have experience with crossbows, but they should be an advantage for us. What are you asking for these crossbows, Shordan Archah? I understand you want to show us how they are used!"

-----

After the meeting with the Elders, Angus followed Angela to the Healer's Lodge. Angela set the sign at the door to indicate she was unavailable and drew Angus inside. "It has been too long since I have kissed you and much too long since you have had your hands on my body. What are you waiting for, a better invitation somewhere else?"

“Angela, my dear, I am in great need of your body. But first, I need your mind. Everyone pronounces the Headmaster’s name, Kennedy, correctly. But they call the Colony town, Kenn-and-Eddie. Would you put my mind at rest and explain this to me? Of course I am longing for you. Let me assist you out of your buckskins as you explain.”

Turning so that Angus could undress her, Angela told him, “There's no issue with the name Kennedy as such. But the Creek only name a place after a person because of a tragic incident to mark the spot.

“For example, Mike's Cliff is the spot where Mike fell from the cliff and died in the river. We do not know where his body has gone. But this is the place where he died and where we shall remember a good hunter and a loving father.

“To call the town as such would call evil spirits and would name it a place of a tragic death. Woe to the Colony for it would mean tragedy for Dr. Kennedy! I hope that you see that it speaks well for the Creek that they are shirking from from that name and circumventing the issue by calling it ‘Kenn-and-Eddie.’ There are no such persons connected to each other like brothers so the problem was solved.

"Now that your question is answered, if you look in my backpack by the door, you will find some equipment you may want to use." She picked up the backpack and said, "Come into the back room. I have also added some gadgets there that you might like using." Angela took Angus' hand and led him into the back where she and Sheila had played. Shutting the door behind them, she turned and faced Angus, placing his hand on her breast. "I knew our time together would be uncertain, and I am resolved to make the most of each moment we have. I am naked for you and wish to submit to you. Would you tie me up without delay and make love to me?"

"You do not have to ask, my wee darling. Give me your hands," Angus said as he reached into the backpack for rope.

Angela crossed her wrists behind her back, facing away from Angus. "You can see there are two posts that you could tie me to or tie me between. On each wall, there are several hooks that you could use in many different ways. On the ceilings, you will find two pulleys, and there are cleats on the walls and on the posts that you can use to tie off the pulleys."

"Turn around and give me your hands in front," Angus told her. He bound her hands in front with a two-column tie and moved her under one of the pulleys. Using a gaff pole standing in the corner of the room, Angus pulled the pulley's hook down to the height of Angela's shoulder. Lifting her hands, he hooked the bottom of the pulley on the cinch loops at her wrists and started pulling down on the line from the pulley, raising Angela's hands until she was standing on tiptoes before he cleated off the lead. Going behind her, Angus shed his clothing and pressed against her back and butt.

Angela noted that he was already in an excellent state of arousal. "Angus dear, I believe that my butt is telling me that you are in a ready state."

He cupped her breasts and pulled her hard against his back. Minutes passed while he fondled her beautiful tits, belly, butt, and pussy. "It is clear that we were not designed properly. I should have at least six hands. There should be a hand for each tit and one to finger your sexy navel and belly. A fourth hand is needed to pay proper attention to your vagina. I still need a fifth and sixth hand for each cheek of your lovely buttocks. And I have possibly underestimated the requirements as I would need a hand to stroke your beautiful face. Have I left anything out, Angela?"

"It doesn't matter, Angus. You only have two hands. Maybe that is the reason we must submit to you and let ourselves get tied up. Now I do not have any options but to wait for you to decide to move your attention from one part of my body to another. If you would like, I can make a small suggestion. If you look further in my backpack, you will find a nice flogger and a ball gag. You could make my skin much more sensitive to your touch if you warmed me up with the flogger. The gag, of course, will help me avoid notifying the neighbors about our activities. Naturally, this is only a suggestion. I am confident that I will love whatever path you choose."

Angus retrieved the two items and draped the flogger over Angela's shoulder while he inserted the ball into her mouth. "This is a rather large ball, isn't it?" Angela was helping as much as she could, but the ball required some force to get behind her teeth. He did not have to tie it tightly behind her head. It would be tough for Angela to push this ball out of her mouth without assistance. "Shall we raise the pulley higher?" he asked. Angela nodded her head up and down.

Angus tied her legs above the knees and at her ankles. Then he raised the pulley until she could no longer touch the floor. As a last step, he retrieved a bandanna from his pile of clothing and used it to blindfold Angela. "Show me that you can still hum your safety signal." Angela did.

Angus strolled around and around his suspended beauty. He flogged steadily, not overly hard but strong enough to tinge her skin with a light pink glow. Angela moaned to the strikes as they did hurt. "Hmmmph! Hmmmph! Hmmmph! Hmmmph!" but cried out carefully to be sure that her cries would not be mistaken for the safety signal.

Satisfied that Angela glowed with a uniform pink, Angus resumed fondling his lady. He was gentle as he rubbed her rear end. Angus caressed her back. He manipulated her tits and, finally, he focused on her vagina, finding that she was quite moist. The flogger had hurt, but her body's core had its own interpretation.

Angus quickly untied her legs and ankles and uncleated the line to the pulley. He stood close in front of Angela as he slowly lowered her onto his waiting shaft. Angela responded by wrapping her legs around his waist. Angus stopped lowering her and started the timeless motion of a man to a woman. Angela responded in kind and with an intensity that Angus had never before seen. As they were overtaken by a thundering climax, Angus released the line to the pulley allowing Angela's arms to lower. She hooked them over his head, kept her legs locked tightly around him, and kept his still pulsating member locked within her. Angus backed up to a pole and leaned against it. He held his love tightly until their breathing returned to normal.
Spy Task Force Completed
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago but technology and organization swing the balance of power to the more advanced culture.
So true. This was a chapter with lots of depth, the discussions of the elders were interesting. Well done. Often with bondage stories the back story is either not present or not worked out well, not so in this story. Good work [mention]GreyLord[/mention] and [mention]Nainur[/mention].

At least there was some bondage at the end to keep us happy :lol:
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

I have to say - once more - [mention]GreyLord[/mention] you created a marvelous brave new world here. The debatings of the council were a fascinating read, they add much depth to the story and one thing you do very well: you tell a compelling story, in which bondage plays in important part, but part of a cohesive narrative. My compliments.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

slackywacky wrote: 1 year ago
GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago but technology and organization swing the balance of power to the more advanced culture.
So true. This was a chapter with lots of depth, the discussions of the elders were interesting. Well done. Often with bondage stories the back story is either not present or not worked out well, not so in this story. Good work @GreyLord and @Nainur.

At least there was some bondage at the end to keep us happy :lol:
Thank you so much, [mention]slackywacky[/mention]. Of course, a problem with a complex back story is that from time to time a chapter comes up that just doesn't have room for TUGs. Hopefully, not too often.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago I have to say - once more - @GreyLord you created a marvelous brave new world here. The debatings of the council were a fascinating read, they add much depth to the story and one thing you do very well: you tell a compelling story, in which bondage plays in important part, but part of a cohesive narrative. My compliments.
Thank you for that high praise, [mention]Caesar73[/mention]. That some, at least, appreciate our efforts is very gratifying.
Spy Task Force Completed
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

[mention]TayDay95[/mention], [mention]Caesar73[/mention], [mention]wolfman[/mention], [mention]Beaumains[/mention], [mention]slackywacky[/mention], [mention]banshee[/mention], [mention]NotSeen[/mention], [mention]FabianStr2016[/mention], [mention]Red86[/mention], [mention]Boundcurious[/mention], [mention]Nainur[/mention], [mention]RopeBunny[/mention], [mention]Damsel-Dilara-Dee[/mention], [mention]Jake78045[/mention], and [mention]Bandit666[/mention]

You have posted comments on one of my stories. That is appreciated very much. Please tell me what you think about the Tale of an Archer. If you would like your tag added or removed from this list, send me a PM or a post with that request.

-----

Chapter 27 – Maddie Demonstrates
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

Meanwhile, Tommie and Sheilah had joined Maddie and finished the offloading of the wagon. Next, they set up the 'shooting range,' decently observed by some village folk and less so by a small crowd of children, who were quite curious, but after some stern words, these children were careful not to touch anything. Some older children were appointed to keep an eye on things. Maddie said, "When we begin the exercise, you must stay safely away from the targets. Here is a place where you can be safe and still see everything."

Maddie looked up at the sky. She squinted. "Winds are freshening up. I believe it will start to rain later."

"I agree," said Tommy. "Will the demonstration still happen?"

"Why not?” Maddie replied. “Anyone can shoot on a bright, calm day. It takes more skill in bad weather."

"True."

"Tommy, Sheilah, I have missed both of you so much," Maddie said as she pulled the twins into her arms. "I want to say without delay that you were right. Sending me with Shordan Archer was the right thing for you to do. I am happier now than I ever thought that I could be."

It was an awkward moment, and Maddie felt awkward. After all those years, almost her whole lifetime of hiding her emotions, it was still difficult for her to express herself toward people other than Jordan. But she had been nervous the entire day, the feeling evermore building up, and now the weather was worsening. She needed support and comradeship now. The twins were surprised and bewildered but happy to comply and didn't care how many eyes were watching.

-----

Jordan said, "I can answer your question, Chief Samuel. But I think the answer will carry the most weight if it comes from Headmaster Kennedy."

Headmaster Kennedy replied, "You asked a very perceptive question, Chief. First, the crossbow is not a modern Earth weapon but one from our history. But it seems to fit your needs. Jordan proposed this to me when we became convinced that conflict could not be avoided. Jordan Archer has a special request for the Elders here. He wishes to enter into Final Courtship with the maid formerly known as Muddy and now known as Maddie. The crossbows are his gift to the Creek and are given with my full blessing."

The Creek Chief leaned back. All Elders' faces showed how impressed they were. This was indeed a mighty gift! Angela muttered a long sentence in Creek.

Chief Samuel said, "You are right, Angela. These are the doings of the Spirits! Long ago. When we dispersed those marauding bandits, and a little girl stayed behind, we took care of her without knowing why. We named her Muddy, and she served us in menial works, but she also became a nuisance. We deserved this in hindsight. We should have given her to a family to raise as one of our own. Then we met this man we call Shordan Archah, and he was a widower and lonely. We presented him with Muddy. And she won his heart and became Mae'aed-dee – Maddie. In this way, the Spirits provided us with the means to defend ourselves and give our friends, Jordan and Maddie, a new life. For Maddie, it is the place in life that she truly deserves. Praise to the Spirits. We accept your offer, my friend, for I know that Mae'aed-dee is willing to be your mate. She could not be forced to do so, and without her consent, it could not be done. Angela?"

"So it is. You are speaking sooth, Chief Samuel!" answered Angela. I foresee that one day – in the distant future – the tribes and the colonists will intermingle, maybe even completely. This has already begun with Jordan and Maddie. I will add that I am finding great happiness with Dr. Angus McTavrish. I am sure the spirits will bless the Courtship and mating of Jordan and Maddie! And, as the worthy Headmaster, I call 'Ouqapae ushtaeh toh na'a houwash-sheeh Thakkou-wah,' Man who came from the stars, wise and of fair mind, agrees, we shall proceed with the Final Courtship over the next few days! Chief, you will have decisions to make concerning the testing of Jordan."

By now, Maddie, Tommy, and Sheilah had finished setting up five groups of three targets on the pasture. This caused people to gather, while Maddie withdrew to prepare herself, with the help of Amanda and Sheila. Tommy watched the range and smiled. The tribe was in for a surprise!

Jordan said, "I am happy to hear your approval of our Courtship. As eager as I am for that, I should tell you what you are facing in the coming engagement with the Colonists first.

“The problem that must be neutralized is the long-range weapon that the Colonists call a laser cannon. It shoots a beam of light that can burn a person to death in a fraction of a second or destroy a lodge. Its weakness is that they are big and heavy, making them slow to deploy and requiring a team of four or five people each. And it must have a straight line of sight to its target. Your forest gives you an excellent defense. Wagons with the lasers are large and heavy, and their only access to the Creek village is to come up the river trail. Trees at the trail's edge will give the Creek protection and concealment while still close enough to fire accurately on the colonists with your bows and the new crossbows.

“Rainy weather is closing in on us. We cannot control what the weather will be when the coming battle takes place. So we should go now so you can see the effectiveness of the crossbow."

Samuel nodded. “So, you are showing us, Shordan Archah?”

“No. Maddie will demonstrate!" Jordan smiled. There were sounds of amazement and unbelieving faces. They had never believed that the woman they had dismissed for such a long time was entrusted to perform on such a weighty occasion!
"Maddie is more than capable of demonstrating what can be done. I taught her to make crossbows and how to operate them. She learned quickly. She practiced on our range each day as well as helping to make them and other jobs. Creek women and men can learn to operate them as well. You will see how effective she has become in the months she has been away."

“Then we shall go outside and learn what she can do!" concluded Chief Samuel. "We shall discuss the details of the Final Courtship later in my lodge. I hope the worthy Headmaster will be my guest and Angela and Dr. McTavrish, too!"

It was still dry, but dark clouds were rushing above, driven by gusts of wind. Jordan saw that the targets had been placed in a pattern of three targets – painted red, blue, and yellow – the nearest group might be fifty meters away, and the most distant targets might be a hundred and fifty meters away. The three other groups were between. There were fifteen targets all in all.

Jordan knew the distance was well within the range of the crossbows, and Maddie could hit a target at a hundred and fifty meters, yet the wind at the moment was tricky. But where was she? Jordan looked around and saw Maddie step out of the guest hut, accompanied by Amanda and Sheila. She wore buckskin breeches covering each of her slender legs, skin tight from thighs to below the knees and somewhat wider towards the ankles. There was a loincloth below her hips and a tight, sleeveless vest that displayed generous cleavage. Her navel lay in the open. Her hair was arranged in the 'Maddie style.' She was carrying her own crossbow and a quiver of 20 handpicked bolts. She looked radiant and eager.

Jordan could see the amazement of all the Creek by this sight. He was not sure that their shock could compare to his own. She was beautiful to behold. The demonstration was hers. This was her moment. He thought, "Bless you, Maddie. May your spirits be with you. You have the capability. Now show them what you can do!"

Maddie stood in a grand posture, addressing the whole crowd, while gusts of wind underlined the dramatic moment.

"I am the woman you used to call Muddy! The woman who was at your beck and call! I was everybody's servant! I was not born Creek, I cannot remember my parents, I have had no family! Did I love you? No! True, you gave me shelter and food and old clothing to wear, but how could I love you? I never felt your love while I worked patiently from morning to evening every day, barely tolerated in the last row when you honored the Spirits! It is true that I even started to hate you! And then you gave me to this man, this stranger who came from the stars, who you called Shordan Archah!" Her face showed her anger of old, and her voice conveyed contempt and defiance. This diminished, and now pride was displayed. Grand gesturing underlined her eloquence, which was far different from the silent working maid they had known!

“He received a proud name from you, but I was just 'Muddy'! But, lo and behold, I am 'Muddy' no longer! I am Mae'aed-dee, Maddie. The Spirits opened my eyes and my heart! I do not hate the Creek anymore. I want to love you and be loved by you. I want to stand by you in these days of trial! I helped Shordan Archah produce these fine weapons for the defense of the Creek, for all of your rights! For our rights! Now when I am working from morning to evening, it is because I want to, because I am honoring the Will of the Spirits as I see it, and because I serve this Shordan Archah, for I love him! I am Mae'aed-dee, and I will show you what I can do with this crossbow and what you must learn! And after I have done this, I hope you will think better of me. The most important thing left for me to say is this: I declare here and now, with you all and the Spirits, to testify that I am free, and anyone who denies my freedom will have to fight me! I have decided to mate Shordan Archah, and anyone who wants to argue with that, I shall fight, too!" She looked tall and proud even though she was rather small in height. She was challenging, but no one protested.

Maddie nodded, "You can see fifteen targets! Five rows with three colors each. Here I have twenty bolts! I shall try to hit as many as possible as quickly as I may. But I won't choose the targets, Chief Samuel shall call them out or someone he charges to tell me which row and color to hit."

She looked at Chief Samuel, who nodded. No sound but those caused by the wind could be heard. At this moment, the Headmaster whispered into Jordan's ear, "She is not only beautiful but quite a lively one! I begin to envy you!"

Maddie stood at the ready after she loaded slowly and deliberately so that everybody could see what needed to be done. "I am ready, Chief Samuel!"

"THIRD ROW – YELLOW!" He screamed at once.

Within seconds Maddie aimed at the target about one hundred meters away…cunningly waiting for the end of a gust…and squeezed the trigger in a measured way. The crossbow hardly moved.

“THWACK!"

Jordan was in awe of this woman who somehow had come into his life and had just announced to all of the Creek that she would be his mate. Maddie's aim was true, and the bolt embedded itself deep in the center of the third-row yellow target. Maddie started to span again at once.

"FOURTH – RED!" cried Samuel.

The wind was increasing. Maddie settled into her favorite position, a mix of kneeling and sitting. She sat on one heel and turned the other leg out toward the target. She aimed, resting her elbow on her forward knee for extra steadiness … aimed … and … "THWACK!"

The bolt flew, a curve caused by the wind, but she had guessed it almost right and hit the target! "How..how…how…how…" Many Creek screamed in astonishment. All Creek archers, and many others, knew that their arrows would have had a higher trajectory, had a considerably inferior speed and were more liable to be blown meters away from the target!

Maddie made herself ready yet again. She did it without looking at her crossbow, as the hunters noticed, but watching the area and the weather while she reloaded.

“ONE – YELLOW!"
"THWACK!"

“She missed!" Someone cried.

“Nay!" answered many. "It went clear through!"

“How..how…how…how…”

Headmaster Kennedy said, “Jordan, you didn’t tell me that Maddie was a prodigy with the crossbow.”

Jordan answered, “You are seeing the results of her determination to succeed. Today, she is exceeding any performance she had while training. It almost makes me believe in the Spirits she talks of so frequently.”

The usual stoic behavior of the Creek did not prevail, as the former working hand 'dispatched' target after target. Certainly, it was at a somewhat lesser speed than a Creek short-bow could be used, but with an unheard of accuracy and power. Not every bolt flew true due to the windy conditions, especially on the longer distances, but when the very last target was called and hit, Maddie held a spare bolt triumphantly high into the air.

"How-how-how-how-how...!"

Maddie stood up and looked around, enjoying the moment, for all pressure was gone. She thought she had done what she wanted, and it was even better that the conditions weren't the best. The hit rate was good enough to impress. Anyone could shoot on a sunny, calm day, wasn't it so? Inside she had had so much fear of embarrassing not herself but her love. She felt much relief but struggled hard to conceal it. So she turned towards her love, shouldered the weapon, and pulled a leather string out of her belt. She presented both her hands to be tied. "Will you accept me as mate, Shordan Archah, as your submissive mate and, after time, mother of your children?"

Chief Samuel added in a low voice: "This is a ritual, my friend, a symbolic gesture but of quite a significance in public. It will be the announcement of your Final Courtship if you do so!"

Maddie's eyes were wet. Perhaps it was just the wind that got into her eyes.

Jordan took the leather string from her hand and quickly wrapped and cinched her wrists. In a loud voice for all to hear, he said, "Mae'aed-dee or Maddie in English, with all of my heart, I enter our Final Courtship to make us mates. I will do everything within my power to cherish and protect you and your people as long as I live."

“Chief Samuel, Headmaster Kennedy, I humbly request that the two of you conduct our mating as soon as it can be seemly accomplished.”

Maddie said, “I had so hoped the Spirits would be with me!” Maddie sighed. “I feared to embarrass you, to be unfit, not worthy. Now I am a happy bandit!”

Chief Samuel looked at the Headmaster, who said, "Surely, I am most willing to do so!"

And Samuel added: "Then let's go to dinner at my family's lodge. You all are kindly invited."

Angus McTavrish and Angela Wise had watched the demonstration with rapt attention. As they were striding over to Maddie and Jordan, Angela commented to Angus, “I have been practicing for hours every day with my crossbow. There is no way that I could match what we just witnessed. She is beyond amazing. She is an inspiration!”

Jordan was standing with his arm over Maddie's shoulder. Maddie told him, "At supper tonight, you can decide whether you want me to fast or hand feed me or release me. The tradition will be satisfied by that time. Until then, you should keep me at your side."

Before Jordan could answer, Angela and Angus swept up and embraced them. "She is beyond amazing, Jordan. Angela said so," Angus told Jordan.

“How did you learn to do that?” asked Angela.

“I had Jordan as a teacher. He is worthy of me!" replied Maddie, grinning.

Angela lifted Maddie’s bound wrists to her lips and kissed them. “I know that the Spirits will bless your Final Courtship and your mating,” Angela said to Maddie and Jordan.

Whether it was satisfactory to the Creek or not, Jordan took Maddie in his arms and whispered in her ear, “I could not be prouder of you. I am honored to have you for a mate.” He gave her a gentle kiss on her lips. They then followed the Chief and the Headmaster to the Chief’s lodge.

Under the cheers of the Creek, a Final Courtship is always a happy occasion. All went to Samuel's home and were welcomed by Amanda. Sheila and Tommy were busy already. Angela and Angus McTavrish followed also.

“Can I help?" asked Maddie, but Amanda laughed.

“Nonsense, child! You are a guest of honor, dear. This is a special evening for you! But you can be released now, surely! You will have ample time to play in the future!"

Maddie blushed. Suddenly she was that shy girl again, unused to the attention. She was far from that proud woman standing tall and proud in front of the whole village that had claimed her rights. Her embarrassment increased as Amanda and Angela hugged and kissed her to congratulate her. Jordan released her wrists and joined in the hugging. It was still her day.

"Do be seated!" smiled Samuel.

Small side dishes and drinks were served in the Creek fashion. As the occasion was already announced, Chief Samuel begged the Headmaster to explain his role in the mating of Jordan and Maddie. "Let us hear what you need to satisfy your customs, Headmaster, so we can discuss how to fit them in with our customs."

The Headmaster answered, “That will be very simple. Jordan and Maddie will stand before me in front of witnesses. First, I will check the intent of each of them. Then, I will lead them through their vows to each other. When that is complete, I will pronounce them man and wife. Or, as you say, mates. It is traditional for them to kiss at that moment.”

Chief Samuel, and to be fair, the other Creeks also were dumbfounded.

"This is all? Indeed? Now for us, a proper Final Courtship Ceremony is spread over three days and nights. Shordan Archah witnessed the first evening of one months ago. Hmmm, Headmaster, I suggest that if you have the time, your ceremony should happen after the third night. I will also have a small ceremony at that time to pronounce the completion of the Final Courtship. We will need at least a day for preparation before starting the Final Courtship."

He looked at his wife, who nodded fervently.

"Shordan Archah, do you need more time to prepare?"

Jordan Archer said, "Wise Chief, I do not know anything I need to do. I hope to hold up my end of the ceremony without causing the Creek or Maddie any embarrassment. It will be most welcome if you have any advice or instruction. Maddie, I should have talked to you about this before we came here. We were so busy preparing the crossbows that I just didn't. But you might have things to tell me as well. Maddie, do you need more than one day to prepare?"

Maddie was pleased to be addressed. She thought that she would have been miffed had she been ignored. "Thank you for asking. I will tell you that I am ready should the Final Courtship start this very moment."

Chief Samuel said, "Bandits, including the Creeks, believe that a woman will always be her own person. They can even be warriors, a practice cultivated in other tribes much more than among us. But a woman must still be submissive to her mate. She must recognize that the male is worthy of being her mate. It is the tribe's duty, and mine, to ensure that this is so. This worthiness may differ by status. Now, to speak plainly, without any attempt to speak a single word of insult, Shordan Archah is not a warrior of great renown, and Maddie is not the daughter of a chief or senior official. Do you see this, Maddie?"

Maddie had dreamed of a 'princess-courtship' as any other girl, but she knew it had been only a dream. She sighed, "I do."

The Chief continued, "It is my unfortunate task to position this event to reflect the value of our relationship with Unihold and, simultaneously, not to ruffle the feathers of the Creek hierarchy.

"Do not be sad, Maddie! I'll see that you have a proper Courtship and are attired properly!" Amanda assured her.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

There is a lot so ssy about this chapter. Let us begin with te Demonstration of the new Crossbow to the Creek. Maddie proves herself to be a natural with the Weapon.

The Creek will stand a Chance against the colonists.

The part though leaves a question to me: I understand that he must made a well weighed decision - he says so. Does that mean Maddie and Archer will get a second class courtshio or will they rank low in the Creek community because Jordan is no tested warrior?

What does the Chief mean precisely?
Last edited by Caesar73 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Normally, I do not reply until a couple of days have passed after posting a chapter. Your issue calls for an exception. Without giving away the story, I can only say that the issue you raise will be answered completely as the story progresses. Thank you for your comment, [mention]Caesar73[/mention].
Spy Task Force Completed
h56jh1

Post by h56jh1 »

wonderful chapter, the "caste system" could become a non-starter if . . .
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago Normally, I do not reply until a couple of days have passed after posting a chapter. Your issue calls for an exception. Without giving away the story, I can only say that the issue you raise will be answered completely as the story progresses.
Thank you for your reply [mention]GreyLord[/mention] - I read the part of this chapter again and I know that you can give nothing away at current moment. So just let me speculate.

I understand the chief´s dilemma, it is a complex matter. I believe him that he does not intend to insult Jordan Archer. But truth to be told; Intentions are one thing, the reality is another:

The Chiefs decision means in fact, despite his best intentions that Jordan Archer and Maddie are ranking low in the pecking order - and that despite the fact that Jordan Archer rendered the Creek an invaluable service by providing them with the means to counter the colonists impending attack.

Without this more than gracious gift the Creek would stand no chance against the colonists. Taking that into account the decision of the chief is in fact an insult - even if he does not intend to insult Jordan - and Maddie. So, in my opinion, it would be wise by the chief to rethink his decision.

If this decision stands, the man and the woman who rendered the Creek an invaluable service are not treated as they should be.

And honestly? Angelas last Sentence sounds more like an attempt to make the bitter medicine easier to stomach. I exagerate but basicially she says "Dear Maddie we let you work your ass off for us, didn´t even bother to give you a propper name but we will give you a proper wedding, alas you will stay were you belong, at the far end of the table - oh and thanks for the 200 Crossbows!"

Traditions are good and necessary - but in this case it seems the Creeks stick to their traditions because there are traditions to stick to.
Last edited by Caesar73 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

The showdown between Johannsen and Jordan is brewing... Well perhaps not directly, but an indirect confrontation at least (but I would not be surprised to see words between them).

And of course events are starting to come to a head as the Creek seem likely to be swept up in things far larger then them...

Muddy/Maddie's moment to shine in front of the village is a nice case of some comeuppance, even if she is a little arrogant about it (understandably, with how everyone thought she was stupid and an annoyance).

Her relationship with Jordan is quite deep at this point, although it still feels a bit like Muddy/Maddie is carrying the relationship; Jordan feels very passive most of the time, although that is likely more an impression born of his thoughts not often being shared and a lot needing to be inferred. She is the one with all the 'energy' as it were, although I do understand that is a vague statement.

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] already brought it up (and the question was answered), but I have to agree on the point about it being a bit insulting. He did perform a real service for them, and they are caught up in 'tradition', despite the fact that traditions are meant (at least originally this is why they exist) as guidelines for situations that have already come up and have been 'solved' before, and this is an entirely new situation, meaning existing traditions do not apply...

It is funny to compare the complex ritual the Bandits have vs the colonists, but of course I think we all know weddings can be absurdly complex affairs too... Easy to argue that it is all silly, since it is merely symbolic... On the other hand, large celebrations/rituals are arguably more for the sake of the wider community/friends/family then the two people involved...

As an aside, was always strange that the Admiral (who basically everyone thinks/says is incompetent) got the job of being colony leader. Certainly they would have vetted candidates better back on Earth... I guess the obvious answer would be 'nepotism' but it seems a random thing, as there is not really any context for him having support from anywhere.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago Normally, I do not reply until a couple of days have passed after posting a chapter. Your issue calls for an exception. Without giving away the story, I can only say that the issue you raise will be answered completely as the story progresses. Thank you for your comment, @Caesar73.
[mention]Caesar73[/mention] , [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention] ,

thank you for the very astute observation and commenting, esp. on this matter. As said, it will be answered. I just want to add: those chapters are already written, the general outcome was part of the mentioned RP which was finished months ago. However, let me give away this:
Mae-aed-dee's march through the pecking order has just begun, Chief Samuel is maybe a bit slow to see.
She would be inwardly delighted by your concern, [mention]Caesar73[/mention] , [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention], and give you a small nod for it, if I know he well enough (yes: she's a bit arrogant).
Her response is hiding a simple fact: in this moment she's disappointed, but a 'proper' ritual was promised already, so she accepts. A compromise, maybe, which is part of her general development of character.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

-----

Chapter 28 – Planning Pomp and Circumstances
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

Angela added, "I'll contribute, too. It is necessary that this will be done with proper ceremony and reflection of the situation's importance, but also has Samuel the right of it: we mustn't overdo it. Both of you have, sadly, no relatives to support the ceremonies. But that also means there is no family pride to be considered. The most important thing is that you are comfortable and that nobody could sneer over a rushed, poorly performed ritual. I'll see that everybody understands that this mating has a special significance! I would also like to say that Dr. Angus McTavrish and I will stand by Jordan and Maddie as family.

“Maddie, the only special attire you will need is for the ceremonies at the end of the Final Courtship. You and I will talk about that shortly." Jordan, Maddie, Fred Kennedy, Angus, and Angela were already communicating, unknown to the Creek, utilizing their commlinks.

Amanda added, “Tommy, Sheilah, and I will also stand by Maddie as family.”

Jordan said, "Thank you, Amanda and Angela. Chief, for Earth weddings, the groom has a close male friend stand with him. This person is known as the Best Man. The bride has a close female friend stand with her, and that person is called the Maid of Honor. Dr. McTavrish, would you do me the honor of being my Best Man?" Of course, that had been settled on the commlink.

“I would be most honored to stand by you, Jordan Archer,” Angus said to all.

Maddie then spoke, “Sheilah, I haven’t had a chance to talk to you about this. Would you consider being my Maid of Honor?”

Sheilah and Tommy had been quiet, as was befitting. But Sheilah’s face lit up with a radiant smile as she said, “Maddie, I can’t think of anything that would make me happier than being your Maid of Honor. Someone will have to explain my duties to me.”

"What Maddie performed today had prepared the path aptly," Chief Samuel said. "You can be proud of that, Maddie, and your gift, Shordan Archah, is no mean gesture! So it is quite proper that the village shows its respect and consent."

Maddie was pleased. It was true: she had neither family nor fortune, but they had just gifted the Creek two hundred crossbows, and now she would get a proper Courtship.

Chief Samuel continued: "The first step is the 'Right to Courtship.' To enter this stage, a male publicly declares his interest in a woman. If the woman agrees, the Courtship goes on. You have accomplished this today already! Usually, some series of personal combat contests for the male are scheduled to prove the candidates' suitability to enter the Right to Courtship for the woman he has chosen. This might need a couple of months until the Final Courtship might begin. But, again, the situation differs somewhat, and I do not see it necessary to delay. Both of you are willing, and to me, the Spirits have spoken! The contests, traditionally held as part of the Right to Courtship, can be held during the Final Courtship in this case. Isn't it so, Amanda, Angela?"

“Aye!” Angela and Amanda affirmed the Chief’s words. Amanda added, “Jordan should be heard now.”

Jordan thought and then said, "It is easy to see the wisdom in the exceptions that you make for us, Chief Samuel, and where we will follow tradition. Healer Angela, I feel very much as though you are family. I hope that it is not presumptuous of me to say that. Chief and Amanda, the same is true for you. Please know I am ready and willing to accept any task you should set for me.

“Maddie, of course, speaks for herself. But I think that I can say that she will want me to participate fully in any testing that you might deem appropriate. Headmaster, you were my advisor even when we were on Earth. Do you have any further suggestions for me?”

The Headmaster smiled and said, "The Creek should know that before we left Earth, I handpicked certain people I thought would play a pivotal role here. Lou Harriman was one of my picks, and Jordan Archer is another. Naturally, I did not foresee in detail exactly what they would do. My picks were based on innate ability and personality. Lou has already fulfilled her destiny in this time and place. Now I see Jordan as playing a pivotal role in Lou's plan. Her wish was that the Colonists and the Bandits would become one people. Jordan, by undertaking the testing of the Creek, you are making the first step in that direction. I think that you are doing this just as you should."

Maddie glowed with pride, seeing it as a measure of her man’s resolve and determination. Samuel and the other Creek were impressed also. The Chief said, “I have in mind to give a few of those crossbows to women of our tribe. Jordan, you trained Maddie. Could you also train a few more women?”

Jordan said, "I expected to take charge of training the warriors you select. If women are selected, I will also be happy to train women warriors. That is: Maddie and I will."

Maddie interfered: "Jordan and I had discussed this earlier. In part, the reason I demonstrated today instead of Jordan was to prove a point in this direction, also. The crossbow can be handled by girls and women! You will need well-trained, nimble, fleet-footed people to put this mighty weapon to good effect, but you also have the chance to increase your number of warriors! While it is tempting to supply your very best males, it also would mean that those who are fine archers and good with an axe at close combat would have to train nearly as much as a girl who has no training. I advise you to find as many women willing to join in as possible, along with strong boys not fully trained as archers. You could almost double your numbers, Chief Samuel, but it is your choice. Jordan and I will train whoever you send us!”
Jordan nodded. “But now, back to our mating. What will you have me do first?”

“We Creek maybe have less renown in battle than other bandit tribes, say Bucks and Comanche, but we are not weaklings or cowards. We hold other skills in high esteem as well. We will see what you can do. How’s your wrestling, my friend?” Samuel asked.

Jordan's mind flashed back to his first two years at engineering school. The Space Force had required all students accepted for Space Force duty to undergo martial arts training for their physical education classes. Two years of that training, an hour a day, six days a week for the two nine-month terms, did not make a master. Jordan had never considered his performance shabby, but he certainly had never expected to use that training.

And there was an ethical question of disclosure. His strength and skill would not be as great as that of Lou or Buzz, who exercised regularly during their entire flight from Earth. He had been in a sleep pod. But he had been under an acceleration stronger than the Newhome gravity. The ship's bots had stretched and exercised his muscles. It was likely that he had an unfair strength advantage.

“Headmaster, what do I need to disclose to be fair?”

The Headmaster smiled as he replied, "You have ever been scrupulous about fairness, Jordan. Chief Samuel, Jordan has had special training in the Earth's martial arts. He fears that this will give him an unfair advantage. He wasn't trained to the level of Lou Harriman, but I judge that he will have a level playing field competing against your young warriors."

Jordan noticed that the Headmaster had not mentioned strength as an issue, but he had referenced Lou's performance. He would accept the Headmaster's judgment. "Then I am ready, Chief. When will the matches begin?"

“The day after tomorrow!" said Samuel. "We need some time to prepare everything, the feast not the least. Usually, the process needs weeks, even months. I do not believe you want to wait that long. Also, you are living together already. Maddie, are you ready?"

"Surely I am." She responded simply.

"Shordan Archah, what do you know of the women's part in this?"

Jordan replied, "As you know, my knowledge is minimal. I know that the woman must show that she submits to the man. The man must show that he can simultaneously control his woman while caring for her. I want to help Maddie in every way I can during this process. But I have some concerns that she will sometimes be unable to ask me for help because she will be gagged. At other times, I have some concerns that Maddie would accept pain before she would ask for help. Maddie, can you promise me that you will not do that?"

“I am willing to prove my determination!" Maddie replied. "But I know my limits, I guess, and I'll never want anyone else!"

Amanda explained further, "Shordan Archah, a woman's test does happen during the Final Courtship. She is tested for her submission and her desire to mate with the man. It is entirely her decision about how far she wants to go – or not. But it is never expected to keep her captured all the time thoroughly trussed up. Both of you have already expressed your wish, and seldom has it happened this publicly! You have witnessed the feast of the first day and observed the woman being led to the Final Courtship Hut. When you enter the Final Courtship Hut later in the evening of the feast, you will find Mae'aed-dee already waiting with the Courtship Guardians beside her. She will be tied up and maybe naked already. She submits to this. At any point, should she not be willing to go on, the Courtship ends, and the Guardians will remove her from the Hut. From time to time, this actually happens. She must please you three nights — or more, if she or you are unsure — until the Final Courtship has passed. You can tie, untie, retie, and make love to her as you please. But you must have her helpless in bondage by sunrise to signify to the Guardians that you wish to continue. The Final Courtship will continue only if you both agree each morning and present Maddie restrained to the Guardians. The Guardians will enter the Hut to ensure that you both still desire to continue the Final Courtship. Mae'aed-dee will be freed by the Guardians then after they send you away. During the day, you will both proceed as normal until the evening meal. After you eat, the Guardians will return her to the Hut and bind her to await you. Usually, each night the bondage will get more restrictive. If you have not restrained her by sunrise, that is your signal that you do not wish to continue the Final Courtship. If you have, the Guardians will ask Mae'aed-dee if she wishes to continue. It is customary that you both walk around together before the third night and talk to other people if you both wish to continue, as a public sign.”

"Thank you, Amanda," Jordan answered. "That was very clarifying for me. So the next step is for me to prove my worthiness by contest. We do this during the day while the Final Courtship continues at night. Except for the contests, it will be business as usual during the day, and we can proceed with training with the crossbow. I am ready to contest whenever you say. Chief, could you share with me the contest schedule so that Maddie and I can plan the crossbow training around that?"

Samuel said, "I still think the day after tomorrow will be a good starting point. I'd say two matches per day, four in all, and then we'll see if the traditions have been observed to the Spirits' satisfaction. They'll happen late afternoon on both days. I am thinking of some swimming in the river on the third day, my friend."

After reflecting, Jordan added, "Maddie, we are clearly an unusual case. But I don't have to drive you to your limits to know the level of your devotion. You have given me ample evidence of that already. I will do my best to make you proud of me during the contests. And during the Final Courtship, I will both take care of you and satisfy the traditions of the Creek."

Maddie looked at her man with much emotion, clearly noticed by those present. "I know this, my love! I know I'll be safe! But, do not forget: a proper Final Courtship was happening only in my dreams for most of my life, and I need to prove myself in my own eyes. I desire to do well in the Final Courtship Hut, as I tried to do during the demonstration!"

Jordan continued: "Tomorrow, we will organize our training for the Creek. That will include assigning a crossbow to each trainee. Tomorrow, they will learn to clean and polish the bows and to keep them in good working order. In the following days, they will learn to shoot and to span.

“Chief, I would not ask for this favor if it were not for the importance of this training. Could you assign Amanda, Tommy, Sheilah, and Angela to me as my assistants for the training? And Tommy's friend, Sammy, as well, if he has been practicing. They have already been training with the crossbows I left here earlier and can help the entire process go smoothly.

Both Amanda and Samuel agreed, pleased to hear their children were deemed fit to play their part, and they called them for their formal consent; but of course, the siblings saw the pride of their parents and knew where their duty lay, but they felt honored themselves. Another thing was noticeable: Sheila was a Chief's daughter and, until a while ago, way up the pecking order above someone named Muddy, but now she's a girl just coming to age. At the same time, Maddie was now a celebrity after saving Jordan from the Messenger-of-Death and that day's demonstration with the crossbow. Young girls were already trying out Maddie's style hairdo in secret. Maddie would have her Final Courtship soon also. And Maddie was treated as a very important person now, to whom Sheila looked in awe! How strange things did go sometimes.

The Headmaster interjected, "This is all very intriguing, but maybe we forget something here, Jordan! I'd like to see the exchange of rings. Usually, a bride has a fine dress for the occasion, so! I think you should provide this as a wedding gift!"

Maddie was amazed. Yet another dress?

Jordan asked, “Headmaster, thank you for your suggestion. Should the dress be Earth style of Bandit style?”

In this close proximity, Jordan could use his internal communications link to talk privately to the Headmaster without the slowness that often delayed comms at long ranges. He sent, "An Earth style dress would emphasize the meeting of our two cultures. A Bandit-style dress would signal our solidarity with the Bandits in this time of hostility. I don't know which is more important. Joseph can create either for us and get it to me before dawn. What should I tell him?"

The Headmaster sent back, “The joining of our two cultures is the plan Lou left with us. I think that is the most important factor at this point. If you agree, I will make the announcement.”

Jordan replied, “I agree.”

The Headmaster spoke, "The dream of the great Lou Harriman was that, in time, our two cultures would become one. A Bandit woman standing before me in a beautiful Earth-style wedding dress would be very symbolic. But Maddie, this is your mating, and you have the final say. What would you like?"

Maddie pondered the question in silence for a while, much like a settled bandit-woman taking her time, and the others waited. It was a weighty question. Finally: "I shall be honored to wear an Earth-style dress and show my respect for the late Maddie. Most of the ceremony will follow Creek tradition, and I shall wear Creek clothing all day on all other occasions to balance it out: no one should say I would stand aloof from Creek traditions!”

Amanda and Samuel nodded, and Angela smiled: "I would have suggested exactly this way to proceed, Maddie, and I will let everybody know that I support it!"

Headmaster Kennedy, by private comm link to Jordan, "She shows great wisdom for one so young. I also take it that she tackled technology quite quickly, and she's not even lettered. I am very curious and would like to talk to her when it is convenient and even to conduct some tests. I wonder. I also wonder how you are going to do this. I understand the capabilities of Joseph and Goliath but still don't see how you will accomplish this."

Jordan replied by private comm link to the Headmaster. "But what's it you said? Testing Maddie? Do you believe she is…ill?" Jordan's heart cramped.

Kennedy responded quickly, "No, no, she amazes me, and I would like to do some simple tests. Do not worry."

Relieved, Jordan continued, "Joseph has all of the details of Maddie's sizes. I have failed to keep you informed on some details about the bots. My first Maddie studied them, and she thought they had become sentient. Joseph is capable of picking a style that will make Maddie and the rest of us happy. Just before she became ill, Maddie told me that she thought she had identified the segment of code that caused the bots' transformation. I have the last version of her paper on the subject. Jeeves can send a copy to you. Do you think it is time to introduce the bots to the Creek?"

“I suggest waiting a while longer might be better… it's going well, but it's fragile." That was the short reply.

Jordan continued in ordinary speech, "Chief and Amanda, we think you for your hospitality of your home, your leadership in this trying time, and your support of us. I pledge that your people will be trained to give them the greatest chance of survival. Now, unless you require something further from us, Maddie and I will retire for the night."

The Chief and Amanda indicated their approval. Maddie added, "I owe everything to the Creek and Jordan Archer. You have my pledge that I will prepare my students in a way that will make you proud of them." She took Jordan's hand, and they started to leave for the hut they had been given for their stay with the Creek.

“Now I have an announcement," declared Chief Samuel. "Once I come to a decision, it is not my nature to change my mind. However, I have come to a new belief about this Final Courtship. Dr. McTavrish and Healer Wise, your announcement that you would stand with the Archers as family prompted this change, plus the realization that this will be a historic Final Courtship. It is the first between a member of the Colony and a Bandit. This is, in fact, a state occasion. I will not subject Jordan and Maddie to further delay. I should invite the Chiefs of the Ken, the Bucks, and the Comanche to join us for this Final Courtship and make this a major celebration."

Maddie had to fight to keep her mouth from falling open. All present were looking happy, and some were looking relieved. Amanda hugged her mate and whispered, "You are treating this as you should."

Fred Kennedy spoke, "Chief Samuel, I can arrange for you to talk to the other Chiefs now, and Unihold can transport them here in a matter of hours."

-----

In their hut, private at last, Jordan and Maddie held each other in a long embrace. "Maddie, you must be exhausted, mentally and physically. Is there anything that I can do for you?"

“Thank you, Jordan. You are right. I feel worn out. But not so worn out that I am not ready to serve you, should you have needs."

Jordan answered, “I am tired too. All of this talk is harder work than simply making crossbows, isn’t it?”

Maddie said, “You are right! Talking to everyone was difficult.” She undressed and climbed into their bed. “I have a request, if I may. I need to feel your control as I go to sleep. Could you tie my hands behind my back and then spoon with me? I would like to fall asleep with you cuddling me.”

Jordan thought, “That may have been the easiest request ever made of me.”

-----

Tommy and Sheilah had slipped off to one of their private places to talk. They sat, shoulder to shoulder, twins and the best of friends. Sheilah said, "This has to be like a dream for Maddie. I don't think I could have guessed that this would become so big.

And Tommy said, "And I believe she has just begun to show her capabilities."
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Well, this chapter answers some of my questions raised in the last installment. Chief Samuel showed wisdom. He rose to the occassion. This Wedding is new. It is unique. Two Cultures will come together. There will be worthy Ceremony. This is just my first impression - I will comment in more detail later!

Well done [mention]GreyLord[/mention] !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic