Tale of an Archer (M+/F+ F+/F+ F/M m/f f/f), Chapter 38 - Aftermath and Epilogue - 11/24/2022 - Complete

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
charliesmith
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by charliesmith »

Just started reading this story! Looks interesting!
Please feel free to read and comment your thoughts.
My ongoing stories:

Roadtrip of Dreams (M/F) Chapter 14 Added.
BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

Hey,

Was away a while, but caught up now. Interesting chapters.

I have to second Ceasar's comments on Johansson's probable reaction. Although that gets into the muddy waters of 'legality' (especially with the current situation in the colony making the future of the society uncertain) and what he will do. I could imagine the incident being the spark (ie him showing up in force to try to 'take what is rightfully his' from Jordan) for the seemingly inevitable conflict between the colonists and natives, as the Creek might take issue to his trespass.

Of course it could go many other ways.
slackywacky wrote: 1 year ago
I know that from experience. I was stringently tied to a chair for 3 hours yesterday because my partner got sidetracked and forgot about me. I was a little sore when she remembered I was helplessly tied and gagged.
Eeesh. Hopefully they were at least contrite about it afterwards.
In other words, cooperate :lol:

If most story characters would act as captives, there would be lot more hurting being done. I played (a long time ago) with somebody who was going to on purpose absolutely resist whatever I was going to do to her (tie-up wise). She was a fighter and I ended up with a black eye and some more damage to my body, as it is very hard to subdue somebody who does not want to be tied, especially when 1:1.
Yeah, it's one of those things that is usually where the compromise needs to be made on fantasy vs practicality. Playing at 'fighting' vs actually fighting for one's life (which looks different and is extremely dangerous for what I think are obvious reasons).

But then again, it's kind of what all this is about, the carefully crafted illusions, the play/pretend. One way to look at it/see it/angle to see it from, it's just adults being children again.

Bratty/CNC type dynamics like that can be 'dangerous' in other ways too, not just physically. Can make it harder to communicate/understand what is going on in the other person's head. Requires threading carefully and being even more upfront then usual from both sides of the coin.

But maybe that is part of the fun, the somewhat mindbending, backwards nature of it all.

And sorry for going on a bit of a tangent about a random comment, I know I took this much further then the original post ever implied. Don't mean to seem like I'm overanalyzing things that aren't actually there, was more just the direction it triggered my thoughts to go in :P
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Thank you [mention]Nainur[/mention], for you work with the story and you comments herein.
GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago Tie-ups can go very quickly from fun to very unpleasant.
I know that from experience. I was stringently tied to a chair for 3 hours yesterday because my partner got sidetracked and forgot about me. I was a little sore when she remembered I was helplessly tied and gagged.
GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago You must always stay sensitive to the state of your submissive. She has put her trust in you.
And 'he' :lol:

Very nice update. It is interesting to see (what I believe to be) your values reflect in the story. Trust and honesty to mention a few. I do believe that ones personality shines through in their stories. Not saying that, for example, Wolfman's stories show him to be a dark person, as trust, family and honesty still shines through. Your stories do the same. It is the underlying feeling that you get from a story.
Thank you very much for your gracious comment, [mention]slackywacky[/mention]. It is wonderful to read that my values are reflected in spite of a sometimes harsh turn of the story
Beaumains wrote: 1 year ago And now we see the two story lines merge. Great! What's next? I suspect that Jordan might discover the bondage circle, or will Muddy connect the remaining pieces? If Muddy hates the Creek, she will hate Jordan for being friendly to them. Meanwhile she could also be 'gifted' to him and become friends... So many opportunities.
Good insight, [mention]Beaumains[/mention]. Would Muddy be a 'good' gift?

sweetvillain wrote: 1 year ago Great Chapter.
Ciao from Italy
It is good to have you as a reader and commenter, [mention]sweetvillain[/mention]. I do hope that you continue to enjoy.

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago Good to see, Jordan embracing his life. It seems that was the right decision. Also the first contact with the Bandits has wen´t welll. All in all, the future seems to hold brighter prospects for Jordan. And it will be interesting how the relations between the Bandits and Jordan will unfold.

I bet Johanssons will go mead, when he learns that Jordan has left with all his possessions :)

The tale is evolving nicely :)
Thank you for saying "The tale is evolving nicely", [mention]Caesar73[/mention]. Jordan Archer is establishing himself as a trader with the Bandits.

charliesmith wrote: 1 year ago Just started reading this story! Looks interesting!
Welcome to the story, [mention]charliesmith[/mention]. When you get caught up, you might click on my banner and give The Bandit Scout on Newhome a try. It happens 400 years in the future from the time of the Colony's arrival but back fills a lot of the story. I am trying to make this as self contained as I can.

BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago Hey,

Was away a while, but caught up now. Interesting chapters.

I have to second Ceasar's comments on Johansson's probable reaction. Although that gets into the muddy waters of 'legality' (especially with the current situation in the colony making the future of the society uncertain) and what he will do. I could imagine the incident being the spark (ie him showing up in force to try to 'take what is rightfully his' from Jordan) for the seemingly inevitable conflict between the colonists and natives, as the Creek might take issue to his trespass.

Of course it could go many other ways.
Eeesh. Hopefully they were at least contrite about it afterwards.
In other words, cooperate :lol:

If most story characters would act as captives, there would be lot more hurting being done. I played (a long time ago) with somebody who was going to on purpose absolutely resist whatever I was going to do to her (tie-up wise). She was a fighter and I ended up with a black eye and some more damage to my body, as it is very hard to subdue somebody who does not want to be tied, especially when 1:1.
Yeah, it's one of those things that is usually where the compromise needs to be made on fantasy vs practicality. Playing at 'fighting' vs actually fighting for one's life (which looks different and is extremely dangerous for what I think are obvious reasons).

But then again, it's kind of what all this is about, the carefully crafted illusions, the play/pretend. One way to look at it/see it/angle to see it from, it's just adults being children again.

Bratty/CNC type dynamics like that can be 'dangerous' in other ways too, not just physically. Can make it harder to communicate/understand what is going on in the other person's head. Requires threading carefully and being even more upfront then usual from both sides of the coin.

But maybe that is part of the fun, the somewhat mindbending, backwards nature of it all.

And sorry for going on a bit of a tangent about a random comment, I know I took this much further then the original post ever implied. Don't mean to seem like I'm overanalyzing things that aren't actually there, was more just the direction it triggered my thoughts to go in :P
Thanks, [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention]. Perhaps your thoughts will trigger others. We'll see.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

That was one BIG reply :)
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago was more just the direction it triggered my thoughts to go in
Nothing wrong with that. It was interesting to read your thoughts. Not many people share them, so this was a nice fresh look. Thanks!

sweetvillain
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by sweetvillain »

All very nice, congratulations. Im sorry to not to be able to write more, I very busy and also very "similar" to Misery, I like to go into the depth of things and imagine alternative metaverses. I hope to succeed. Hello
Surrender Princess. Your thin wrists behind back ...
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

sweetvillain wrote: 1 year ago All very nice, congratulations. Im sorry to not to be able to write more, I very busy and also very "similar" to Misery, I like to go into the depth of things and imagine alternative metaverses. I hope to succeed. Hello
I, too, hope you will succeed. Thank you for posting.

Also, thank you for your comments, [mention]slackywacky[/mention].

-----

[mention]TayDay95[/mention], [mention]Caesar73[/mention], [mention]wolfman[/mention], [mention]Beaumains[/mention], [mention]slackywacky[/mention], [mention]banshee[/mention], [mention]NotSeen[/mention], [mention]FabianStr2016[/mention], [mention]Red86[/mention], [mention]Boundcurious[/mention], [mention]Nainur[/mention], [mention]RopeBunny[/mention], [mention]Damsel-Dilara-Dee[/mention], [mention]Jake78045[/mention], and [mention]Bandit666[/mention]

You have posted comments on one of my stories. That is appreciated very much. Please tell me what you think about the Tale of an Archer. If you would like your tag added or removed from this list, send me a PM or a post with that request.

This story is based on a role play with [mention]Nainur[/mention]. Much of the concept and the dialog is due to him. Any mistakes or errors, however, are solely my responsibility.

-----

Chapter 13 - Lonesome (F/F F/M)
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

The bots — Jeeves, Joseph, and Goliath — were very good at conversation. However, they could not be substitutes for Maddie. Jordan was determined that he would not let himself drink to access again. Instead, he would throw himself into building the Plantation and making the items Chief Samuel wanted to see. He told himself he was not the only one ever to have suffered a tragedy. Of course, it crossed his mind to seek revenge on Magnus Johansson and Joe Houston. While that might offer some satisfaction, he knew it would not repair his life.

He stayed in touch with Fred Kennedy. Fred was a stabilizing influence. He helped Jordan focus on the Plantation by being interested in it. And being interested in the products he was making for the Chief. It is said that time heals all wounds and wounds all heels. He didn't know what was happening to Magnus, but he finally realized he did not care.

In time, Jordan became much too busy to be lonesome. At least, that is what he told himself. But busy he was. Establishing a plantation was the work of many men. To get started, he had a lot of help from Unihold. Now, he had only himself, Joseph, and Goliath. Fortunately, the robots, Joseph and Goliath, were highly intelligent. Goliath was a giant in size and strength. Joseph's strong suits were his speed, agility, nimbleness, and dexterity. Each had more knowledge recorded in their personal library than any major university on Earth would have had in the 22nd Century. Maddie had tweaked their programming and had implanted into each of them what she called the seed of sentience.

Jordan believed that he should personally observe all of their activities as much as possible. In the mornings, he would saddle one of the riding horses and tour their fields. There was a field with a variety of vegetables. Jeeves had a detailed plan for the time of planting, the growing time, and the harvest time. In addition, he specified many other activities such as time to weed, fertilize, and irrigate. Goliath did most of the farming. He would send Jeeves the details of the status of each crop, and Jeeves would update his plan based on the actual data. Jordan couldn't assimilate all of the data, but he had a good eye for seeing the big picture of their progress.

The vegetable field had many different kinds of vegetables growing. Some could be stored after harvest. Others would have to go through a canning process, using bottles Joseph was making. They had different kinds of grains growing; each grain had its separate field. Jordan would have a microbrewery going after the harvest of some of the grains.

After touring the fields in the morning, Jordan would inspect each of his buildings and then have lunch. Jeeves, who had a presence on the Plantation, had become a great chef. After the midday meal, Jordan would spend several hours in his workshop. It did not take long to make the things that the Creek ordered. Perfecting his crossbow became his current passion. In days, he had one that he could use. He established a firing range, and as he practiced, he learned that he needed to modify his design.

He let himself fall into a routine. It kept his mind focused on the tasks at hand and away from the past. After two months of practicing one or two hours each day with the crossbow, he was becoming quite expert in its use. He was finally satisfied with the design and constructed five of his latest model to take to the Creek.

For his evening meal, Jeeves tried each night to outdo himself. The kitchen had mechanical arms that allowed Jeeves to handle the cooking and serve Jordan at the table. Sensors would record Jordan's reaction to each bite, and, with time, Jeeves knew exactly what to feed Jordan and how to prepare it for his taste. They had an extensive herb garden in the side yard that provided a large variety of spices.

After dinner, Jordan would listen to music. The fidelity of the sound system was of the highest quality. Jordan liked a wide variety of different types of music. Classical music was often his choice One favorite was Franz Schubert's Symphony No 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOwP0jZrSQ
Schubert Symphony No 8 B minor Unfinished Trevor Pinnock Chamber Orchestra of Europe

At first, Jordan would pick the music he wanted to hear. More and more, he let Jeeves make the selection. It was as if Jeeves could read his mind. While listening to music, Jordan came to know he needed another wife. He enjoyed the bots. But they were not flesh and blood that he could hold and could hold him.

And so three months passed. Jordan takes his crossbows and goods previously requested to the Creek. Jordan has decided that if the Chief is happy, he will ask him about a mate. Jordan arrived at the village and found that he was openly appraised due to tradition and a form of politeness. Everyone was waiting for him to be welcomed by the Chief, whom he knew by the name of Samuel, a sturdy, calm fellow and certainly a good leader of his people. A man of maybe fifty years, not tall, but broad-shouldered and with a keen mind, too.

“Welcome, Shordan Archah!" he greeted. He was not using the translator. The Creek must have been working on their English. It seemed all bandits had so much talent, especially understanding small peculiarities. Jordan wondered why they did not get his name quite right. Strange. Or did they do it on purpose? Maybe 'Shordan Archah' was actually a Creek expression—if so: what might this mean?

The Chief's family was all smiles, too. His children are ready to be 'out of the hut.' They were a twin pair, Sheilah and Tommy, about sixteen or seventeen Newhome years old and still with Chief and his wife, Amanda. The twins would be about nineteen Earth years old. While the twins took care of the horses and the wagon, Jordan was invited to enter the Chief's lodge. He got the customary drink, and the conversation started with the usual chat. Personal things came first, business much later.

“Shordan Archah, it is a good day for you to have come! If you want, you may stay a few days. There's a mating ceremony tomorrow, and you can join a part of the festivities if you like. Indeed, the cupboard I asked you to make is meant for the new household of Steve and Lilly-Anne."

Jordan was learning this was the typical, subtle Creek way of doing business, gently and slowly. He replied, "Thank you for your hospitality, Chief Samuel. This mead is terrific. Perhaps later, we can discuss trading some of it to the Colony. And yes, I have brought the cupboard you requested and the other items we discussed. I also have five crossbows that I believe will improve your defense. Dr. Kennedy suggested that I make them for you. When you are ready, I can show all of this to you.

“Amanda, it is good to see you again. Thank you for having me in your lodge. It is a pleasure to meet your children, Sheilah and Tommy. They are certainly fine-looking young people. Chief, may I offer a small gift for you and your family. It is called coffee. I will show you how to brew it into a hot drink."

“This is good news!" Chief Samuel smiled gravely. "Muddy will have completed the preparations of the guest hut for you shortly. I am looking forward to seeing what you have brought. I am sure you have done an amazing job. Indeed the interest in your products is rising if the talks at the fires are a measure!"

Of course, he was very curious, but the dignity of both age and rank demands a slow approach to matters. Also, Jordan's polite remarks concerning family were duly noted and welcomed. And the prospect of tasting a new drink was more interesting to the Chief than any crossbow Jordan might have had. But this could be misleading. As Jordan had learned by now, it would be impolite to talk business too soon. But it would be very polite to marvel over a present, especially something exciting like a new taste. Therefore Jordan's arrival was met with courtesy and hospitality. Jordan's desire to talk about that other matter was certainly not discouraged. He thought that maybe dinner might be a good moment or just after.

“Chief Samuel, I beg your pardon if I failed to follow your customs properly. I will do my best to learn your customs so I can behave properly," Jordan said.

The Chief smiles somewhat benevolently. "You'll learn, Shordan Archah. You are doing well for a stranger, and you are my guest. We shan't speak about it again. Will you stay another night to join the festivities tomorrow? The public part, I mean. Even I would not mingle in the family parts."

His wife guffaws: "Oh, you would, if they let you, wouldn't you?"

“You are being very kind, Chief," Jordan replies. "Instructing me in your ways is more than I would have expected from a Chief. I promise that I will always strive to follow your teachings to the best of my ability. You have taught me that there is a time to discuss certain things, such as trade. Are some subjects off-limits and should not be brought up at all? I am thinking about my personal life."

The Chief nodded, "We shall eat and talk more later! There are ways to bring up sensitive topics" The twins returned having taken care of your horses. The Creek had, among other things, cultivated a plant similar to maize, from which they made a kind of flour for baking bread and something like tortillas. They also liked to serve several small dishes of meat and vegetables along with a plethora of dips and sauces, of which some are pretty hot. Fortunately, Jordan enjoyed very peppery and spicy food. It was a tasty meal in the company of a happy family. Sometime later, Amanda and the twins retired. This allowed Jordan to talk to Samuel about his private issue. The Chief began, "I am curious about what you brought, but tell me what lies upon your heart if you want. I sense you want to talk about yourself if I am not mistaken?"

Jordan answered, "You are right, Chief Samuel. There is something heavy on my heart. After demonstrating my crossbows to you, I was going to bring up the subject, thinking that would be a moment in which you would view me most favorably. But you are treating me with such excellent hospitality that this also seems like a most appropriate time. You already know what happened to my wife, Madeline. I have mourned for Maddie, but it is time for me to seek a new wife. In colony ships expected to arrive in the next few years, there should have been ample opportunity to find another woman from Earth that I could love and marry. But the ships stopped coming, and we do not know why or if they will continue later.

"The women of the Colony are all married or too young so not available for courting. I find that I am very lonesome. I believe Madeline would want me to find another wife or mate, as you say. But I fear I could be crossing a taboo by bringing this to you. Please forgive me if I do. Is it possible that I might find a wife among the women of your people? I know your courting and mating rituals differ from how colonists court and marry. I would work hard to learn and adopt your ways should you allow me to proceed."

The Chief responds smilingly and friendly at once, "The quality of your craft is truly amazing, and we have learned to appreciate it already from the samples you left when you first visited us with Headmaster Kennedy. You will see that there will be even more demonstrations in time. And, who knows? There might be a kid interested in learning your craft instead of our traditional occupations."

The Chief nods and patiently waits for Jordan to continue. Amanda had rejoined the men. She was an emphatic and astute woman who quickly understood the essentials of their conversation and where it might lead. Family affairs were a women's issue within the Creek people as in many other places on the two worlds. When Jordan finished, Amanda and Samuel looked at each other briefly and considered Jordan's words in silence.

Jordan knew by now that this topic would need serious thinking, but this 'sound of silence' did not seem to be a good sign. Even the twins had stopped what they were doing. They were not staring at Jordan only because they would be rebuked massively if they did.

Finally, Chief Samuel inhaled and started, "Alas, I fear in this I cannot help you, Shordan Archah! I truly believe you are a worthy man, but you are no Creek. You are learning about us and our customs, and I can tell you it is widely appreciated within the tribe that you do this. Yet I doubt that you are deemed eligible to woo a Creek wife. At least not for a time I can foresee. No, please, let me finish!"

He sensed, correctly, that Jordan wanted to argue, and who wouldn't. "You are not only a Colonist, but you do not know how to act properly. At least not now. Do you know that a woman of caliber will be strong and demanding, having her own mind even after mating? Do you know also she would still submit herself to the will of the husband, but to do it, they both will be tested and test each other? Our testing will certainly seem strange to you? It can be achieved, given time. The famous Lou Harriman found a way to be accepted as a Princess of Warriors and a great leader. Can you do the same with a sturdy Creek girl?" The Chief said this all with a friendly smile in a compassionate attitude. Amanda is pouring another drink and supports the statement with a few nods and other gestures.

Jordan could not help but remember how Maddie had studied everything written by and about Lou. And how she had devised her best interpretation of the lifestyle of a Bandit woman. Jordan could not speak of this. To do so would dishonor Maddie. He could only hope that, given time, they would see that he could fit into their ways. He replied, "Chief, your answer is what I expected, if not what I had hoped. Thank you for listening to me. I will speak of this no more."

The next day was a bright one and even supplied some sparks that were good moments. An artisan is always happy when his craft is appreciated, and indeed it was. The cupboards Jordan made for Chief Samuel were much marveled upon, and two more were ordered for an acceptable price. The preordered tools were received with satisfaction, and the additional items Jordan had made were gone by midday. He collected more orders. With much pride, Jordan saw that the crutches he made for Bill, who sadly was crippled on the hunt, were doing their job. Bill could move rather speedily with the crutches and carry things around in a knapsack. One-legged, he had felt useless.

The five crossbows also received a lot of attention. Jordan was very pleased that the Chief's children, Sheilah and Tommy, were at the head of the line, and Amanda was with them. Tommy begins to barter for three of the five weapons. Jordan had thought of making all five crossbows gifts to the Chief. He was quickly reconsidering. He thought, "If I give these three to Tommy, Sheilah, and Amanda, then it will appear to be an act of spontaneous generosity."

“Tommy, I have a target. Would you set it up for me about fifty meters away? Then I will demonstrate the way to use a crossbow." Tommy picked up the target, swiftly carried it to the place Jordan had indicated and returned. Jordan stood up on his display table and picked up a crossbow. He showed the Creek gathered to watch how to span the weapon, insert the bolt, aim, and shoot. The bolt embedded itself deep in the target, very close to the center of the bullseye.

Then Jordan went into a frenzy of activity, shooting five more bolts as rapidly as possible. The Creek gasped at the speed, and the accuracy displayed. Tommy found later that a man's hand could cover the holes in the target.

Jordan announced, “The first three crossbows are a gift to Chief Samuel. Amanda, Sheilah, and Tommy, can you take custody of them for your father?” The three were almost speechless. Then Amanda regained her natural poise and said, “This is an unexpected example of generosity that is exceeded only by the magnificence of these weapons. We thank you on behalf of the Chief and for ourselves. The lady behind us is our healer, Angela. She is also interested in your crossbows.”

“Hello, Angela," Jordan said. "You are welcome to view what is left of my goods. If I may say so, I find it surprising and pleasing that this many women are interested in my crossbows."

Angela replied, "Why, it is perfectly natural. In our culture, women, as well as men, become warriors. Sheilah, here, has such aspirations."

“I did not know that,” Jordan commented.

Angela asked, “Now, would you tell me what price you are asking for a crossbow?”

“This will be the first one I have sold," Jordan replied. "The price I get for this will be the benchmark for future sales, so I should bargain well with you. At the same time, as the healer, you are an Elder, a senior official of the Creek. It is important that I am looked on with favor by the Chief and the Elders. Amanda, what do you think would be fair?"

Amanda would not show it, but she was pleased that Jordan called on her for advice. She thought that there was more to this man than they had realized. "Angela, if you pledged your future services to Shordan Archah should they be needed, that would be a fair offer."

Angela nodded, “Yes, Shordan Archah, for this weapon, I will provide you with healing services to the best of my ability should the need arise. Would that be satisfactory to you?”

“I think that it is a splendid price, Angela. I accept and add a lesson for all who have crossbows this afternoon."

This bargaining, in this company, was very pleasant for Jordan. But it also reminded him that there remained the other unsolved matter. While there was much evidence of happy family life in the village, it also focused his mind on the lack in his life.

A strapping young man named Sammy acquired the remaining crossbow. Jordan learned later that he was a close friend of Tommy. There was just time to load his display tables on Jordan's wagon, and it would be time for the crossbow lesson. As the last of his good disappeared, the Creek wandered off. Only Tommy and Sheilah remained. "Can we help you load?" asked Sheilah.

With their energetic help, Jordan was loaded in minutes. Then Tommy asked, “Can you tell us about Earth? Everything we hear is shrouded in mystery. And we can not be certain about anything that we do hear.”

Knowing that this would give Tommy and Sheilah status among their peers, Jordan said, "You would not find that land so different if you could get to see it. What is different is the huge population on Earth. It seems that we controlled everything except our own procreation. We are overpopulated to the breaking point. That is why Earth looked to the stars. Some envisioned an endless stream of transport ships moving Earth's population to places like Newhome and others. But now, we have lost contact with Earth. No one here knows what is happening back at home. A lot of those in the Colony are terrified."

Tommy noted, “That must give you a very alone feeling.”

Amanda, Angela, and Sammy were approaching. Jordan wanted to teach these five enough for them to be able to practice effectively until he returned next time.

-----

Looking ahead, the bondage circle met at the river that evening. Angela, Muddy, Tommy, and Sheilah had stripped to their shorts. Angela and Muddy had tied Tommy and Sheilah in a strict kneeling strappado to two close-together saplings. Increasingly, they were making their tie-ups more rigorous, pushing their limits to build their endurance.

Tommy and Sheilah were not gagged and were competing with Angela to tell Muddy about Shordan Archah. Muddy had been busy all the day close to Chief Samuel's home and a sharp but unnoticed observer of the on goings. Still, she could not believe what she had seen. The Creek had behaved like children. The whole village was agog about the fancy stuff the Colonists brought them. There were eager discussions in every home about how to obtain some of those—in her eyes—totally unnecessary luxuries. They would spoil the Creek even more? How could they betray their heritage so easily, so willingly? What a lousy bunch of weaklings!

Moreover, when she had to serve during a meeting of the Elders just the other day, these very Elders had discussed certain signs in all earnestness. These signs indicated that the precious Balance, which connected All Things Living or Dead, was in danger. It was because of those Newcomers, surely. They were endangering their lives. The shaman, old Enderby, was worried that the Ancestors' Spirits might be enraged by this! And what did they do? Considering to sent those Newcomers to the Demon's Hell from whence they came? Nay! They were queuing up to do trading! This was almost impossible to stomach! What had she done to annoy the Spirits, Muddy thought, that they called her destiny to fret among those pigeons while she was a falcon?

Yet the Spirits usually knew what they were doing! Something had to be done. While listening to this chit-chat, Muddy decided to plan running away from the Creek in earnest. She had thought about this much but never in such a notion of necessity and urgency. She could not stay with the Creek much longer. But she needed to make some preparations, like stealing and hiding food and clothing. A knife. She needed at least a good knife. She felt her role was elsewhere. To help heal the shattered Balance, to satisfy the Spirits. She thought she would participate in the battle against the Colonists in the near future. She would kill Colonists or die attempting. That was it. So Muddy did not smile while listening and remained silent.

The other three noticed this, of course. But they did not react, which was simply part of Creek courtesy. And they misjudged her reason. Angela and especially Sheilah thought the reason to be quite the opposite: Muddy would never be courted, never have a home, and therefore never have use for a fine cabinet. Neither would she ever be entrusted with a powerful weapon. Of course, she was uncomfortable. So, after a while, the talking just faded away, and the foursome went on doing their business at hand.
Last edited by GreyLord 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Why do I have the feeling that the spirits will lead Jordan and Muddy together - they would be the perfect match. In a way they both are outsiders. And as the chief pointed out to Jordan: It will be not impossible for him to court a creek woman, but it seems unlikely at the time - so I think the gods may have plans for the two :)

It was a pleasure to read how Jordan gets settled in the Glen, how he builts himself a knew life - even a lonely one. And it becomes plainer in this chapter, why this story is called "Tale of an Archer" - Jordans becomes a bowmaker and a proficient shooter himself - maybe not Robon Hood - yet :)

The bots seem to be a great help to Jordan, and that he likes classical music speaks for him - the Schubert is an excellent choice. That´s just me, but I think your choice matches the atmosphere of the the first paragraphs.

Maddie did Jordan a great service that she enhanced the programming of the bots. That programming makes them even more useful for Jordan than they already were.

All in all? Excellent
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago Why do I have the feeling that the spirits will lead Jordan and Muddy together
Duh! :lol:

But you never know, GreyLord might throw a spanner in the works. Great update (again).

BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

A bit of a slow burn at the moment in the story, but it is kind of required at the moment to bridge the gap to the next set of major events.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago Why do I have the feeling that the spirits will lead Jordan and Muddy together - they would be the perfect match. In a way they both are outsiders. And as the chief pointed out to Jordan: It will be not impossible for him to court a creek woman, but it seems unlikely at the time - so I think the gods may have plans for the two :)
I'm actually not so sure about that. Muddy has been pretty consistent in thinking the Colonists are a problem, and more critically, that the solution is violence. Of course it could turn into a story of them being forced together by circumstances, and her coming to 'know the enemy', but I have a feeling if that happens, it will be quite a rough start between the two characters (To be honest I can imagine Jordan having to tie up Muddy for his own safety, so more excuses to have more TUGs).

To be honest Samuel's answer seemed a little mealy-mouthed, but it is likely he was surprised by the question.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago ... (To be honest I can imagine Jordan having to tie up Muddy for his own safety, so more excuses to have more TUGs)...
Interesting! And you've certainly got a point when commenting Samuel's reaction.
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago
I'm actually not so sure about that. Muddy has been pretty consistent in thinking the Colonists are a problem, and more critically, that the solution is violence. Of course it could turn into a story of them being forced together by circumstances, and her coming to 'know the enemy', but I have a feeling if that happens, it will be quite a rough start between the two characters (To be honest I can imagine Jordan having to tie up Muddy for his own safety, so more excuses to have more TUGs).
You have point :) And I don´t think it will, if it comes to pass, love on first sight. Probably the opposite. But they have one thing in common. Both are, in their own way outsiders. Jordan tying up Muddy for his own safety? I can imagine that very will.
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Nicely told. Soon, Jordan will have no ties with the colony left and will be completely on his own. So far, the Creek seem hospital, but I am not entirely sure whether it is an act, just for favorable trade or a powerful ally, or there is true generosity. Jordan seems to want too much, too quick and not able to read the diplomatic game well. He is an easy to manipulate target. The way the chief denied him a wife, could be a sign (or the set-up for Muddy to come into play). There has to be something going on in the background. His despair gives too many great opportunities for everyone around him, and I do not doubt many will take such chances.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago Why do I have the feeling that the spirits will lead Jordan and Muddy together - they would be the perfect match. In a way they both are outsiders. And as the chief pointed out to Jordan: It will be not impossible for him to court a creek woman, but it seems unlikely at the time - so I think the gods may have plans for the two :)

It was a pleasure to read how Jordan gets settled in the Glen, how he builts himself a knew life - even a lonely one. And it becomes plainer in this chapter, why this story is called "Tale of an Archer" - Jordans becomes a bowmaker and a proficient shooter himself - maybe not Robon Hood - yet :)

The bots seem to be a great help to Jordan, and that he likes classical music speaks for him - the Schubert is an excellent choice. That´s just me, but I think your choice matches the atmosphere of the the first paragraphs.

Maddie did Jordan a great service that she enhanced the programming of the bots. That programming makes them even more useful for Jordan than they already were.

All in all? Excellent
Thank you, [mention]Caesar73[/mention]. An excellent from you means a lot. I will insert more music as the story progresses, not all of it classical. The crossbows will continue to be a major factor in this story. And the bots will also continue to play a role.

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago Why do I have the feeling that the spirits will lead Jordan and Muddy together
Duh! :lol:

But you never know, GreyLord might throw a spanner in the works. Great update (again).
Thank you, [mention]slackywacky[/mention]. But you wound me to the core. When have I ever thrown a spanner in the works?

BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago A bit of a slow burn at the moment in the story, but it is kind of required at the moment to bridge the gap to the next set of major events.

To be honest Samuel's answer seemed a little mealy-mouthed, but it is likely he was surprised by the question.
The pace will pick up, [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention]. Don't doubt that the Chief has his own agenda. I appreciate your comments.

Nainur wrote: 1 year ago
BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago ... (To be honest I can imagine Jordan having to tie up Muddy for his own safety, so more excuses to have more TUGs)...
Interesting! And you've certainly got a point when commenting Samuel's reaction.
[mention]Nainur[/mention], your input is welcomed, as always.

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago
BlissfulMisery wrote: 1 year ago
You have point :) And I don´t think it will, if it comes to pass, love on first sight. Probably the opposite. But they have one thing in common. Both are, in their own way outsiders. Jordan tying up Muddy for his own safety? I can imagine that very will.
Your imaginations are finely tuned. But there will be surprises ahead. Thank you, [mention]Caesar73[/mention].

The ever astute [mention]Beaumains[/mention] noted
Beaumains wrote: 1 year ago ... Jordan seems to want too much, too quick and not able to read the diplomatic game well. He is an easy to manipulate target. ...
Yes, he does want too much, too quick. But remember, he is almost entirely alone, cut off from human contact. To survive on a frontier, one cannot hold on to grief and not move on with life.

Then @Beaumains continues
Beaumains wrote: 1 year ago ... The way the chief denied him a wife, could be a sign (or the set-up for Muddy to come into play).
Indeed, that is a foreshadowing. You have picked the right thread. Thank you for commenting, [mention]Beaumains[/mention].
Spy Task Force Completed
RopeBunny
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by RopeBunny »

Still loving this, great story to dip in and out of whenever I have the time.

Enjoyable. Please do keep it up :D
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

[mention]TayDay95[/mention], [mention]Caesar73[/mention], [mention]wolfman[/mention], [mention]Beaumains[/mention], [mention]slackywacky[/mention], [mention]banshee[/mention], [mention]NotSeen[/mention], [mention]FabianStr2016[/mention], [mention]Red86[/mention], [mention]Boundcurious[/mention], [mention]Nainur[/mention], [mention]RopeBunny[/mention], [mention]Damsel-Dilara-Dee[/mention], [mention]Jake78045[/mention], and [mention]Bandit666[/mention]

You have posted comments on one of my stories. That is appreciated very much. Please tell me what you think about the Tale of an Archer. If you would like your tag added or removed from this list, send me a PM or a post with that request.

This story is based on a role play with [mention]Nainur[/mention]. Much of the concept and the dialog is due to him. Any mistakes or errors, however, are solely my responsibility.

I hope that you will enjoy Chapter 14.

-----

Chapter 14 - Jordan meets Muddy (M/F)
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

The late afternoon part of the mating celebration would start soon. Jordan knew it would be a mistake to reject the invitation. He hoped that it would not be too painful for him. Tomorrow he would leave early, probably, back to loneliness.

But there was a strange incident. Jordan was asked to help with the arrangement of a pavilion, and suddenly he heard, “Muddy, come here, quickly! We have not the whole day!”

He startled because for a moment he thought he had heard ‘Maddie’, but it was ‘Muddy’. Chief Samuel mentioned the name once, saying she was preparing the guest hut for him. But for no reason that he could discern, Jordan suddenly had an eerie feeling that his life was about to change. Jordan had previously felt that the Bandits were more in tune with nature than Earth people and that sometimes they generated something he couldn’t define, almost magical. That was what Jordan was feeling!

Again, he heard a Creek woman shouting, “Muddy, did you hear? I need you!” A rather plainly (to avoid the word ‘shabbily’) dressed young woman passed by.

“Coming!” she shouted.

She was wearing a buckskin skirt and a kind of shift, both mended and obviously well worn. She was, bluntly, a bit filthy and sweaty, and her raven-black hair was tangled, a thick strand held in place by a thin string of leather, her shoes seemingly ready to fall apart at any moment. She was small but carried a quite large bucket of water.

“Muddy, don’t spill it again, and do hurry up! Inside!”

“Yes, yes.” The girl rushed into the hut, obviously neither happy nor annoyed. She seemed used to it, which was strange as well.

Amanda was looking at the colonist, possibly wondering about his expression. Jordan didn't know what he had just seen and heard. As far as he knew, the Creek did not have anyone in poverty. But that poor girl certainly looked impoverished. He really couldn't tell what she looked like. She was dirty and had mud on her. Was the Creek woman calling her Muddy as a name or a description? For, strangely, her name, which was not a proper English name, and at the same time, did not have a Creek-tongue ring, was somewhat fitting. She was a muddy slip of a girl, indeed! Yet Chief Samuel had made it clear to Jordan that some Creek affairs were none of his business.

After everything was set for the feast, everyone who could withdrew to nap and prepare for the Final Courtship feast. Jordan was to accompany Chief Samuel, Amanda, and the twins. He had to remind himself that he got most what he wanted. He could survive with only the smallest of connections to the Earth colony. And maybe he could find a companion sometime later.

The Chief advised him that he just needed to follow their example and that nothing special was required from him. As was customary, the mating couple invited the whole village for this part of the Final Courtship, and most would show.

The affair's beginning was essentially ordinary if it weren't on Newhome with the surroundings full of exotic charm. The people were gathering around the 'festivity pavilion,' kids were running around, and several people were busy providing food and drink. A clever detail simplified the process. The families who were celebrating the mating of their son and daughter had provided the main dishes. But a goodly part of the village prepared and presented the food. And many a family brought some small containers with tortillas or other treats for the feast. Amanda certainly did. There were many little bowls and plates happily passing from hand to hand. The Creek did like side food, and detecting a different type of dip was a great pleasure to all.

There's much volunteering to relieve people after a time at the cooking places and ovens, that all could participate to their liking. The only person not included was this very girl, Muddy. Even she had made an effort to bathe, and her hair was in a better state than earlier. It had one single, long braid at the back of her head. But she still wore those old, shabby clothes while nearly everybody dressed to the occasion. Indeed, the only other exemption was Jordan himself.

Muddy was quite occupied at the ovens, frowning at the state of the food and busy distributing the food around without a smile on her face. Jordan could see that her efforts made things easier for everyone else. She appeared not only unattached but did not belong to any family either.

Amanda said to Jordan, "I see you have been noticing Muddy. You are noticing her most of the time even now, Shordan Archah?"

“Yes, Amanda," replied Jordan. "I am very puzzled by her. Since first observing the Creek, I have been impressed that you have no poverty. If someone is down on their luck, the tribe gives that person a leg up. But this girl, Muddy, seems to be an exception. This is the first time that I have gotten a good look at her face. She would be beautiful with a bit of care. Has she committed some great crime that forbids her from receiving the help of the Creek?"

“It is because she is no Creek, Shordan Archah!" Amanda was leaning towards you to lower her voice. "Many people like to have cattle and crops to eat and sell, but maybe you know that not everyone wants to raise cattle and crops but just to have them. A roving band of marauders was harassing us maybe eighteen or nineteen summers ago. When our braves found their camp, they slew some, and, after dispersing the rest, they found a little girl who tried to hide in a nearby pond. She was dirty all over. Maybe she even tried to use the mud on purpose. However, nobody came to claim her, so we kept her and called her 'Muddy.' She was wild but calmed down after a few years. She is a servant, not more. But indeed, I talked with Samuel about her. And about you last night."

“Amanda, I think that you are telling me that the proscriptions given me by Chief Samuel yesterday do not apply to this girl. Could you tell me what you and the Chief decided? Why would Muddy think being with me would be anything other than a further step down for her?"

But to his surprise, Amanda said, "This is why we talked to each other. There should be a way. After we leave the feast, we'll discuss it later in the evening." Amanda had put Jordan's mind in turmoil. Using all of his self-control, he determined to focus on the Courtship feast for now. In the Creek culture, things take their own good time.

Jordan had eaten his fill and maybe more when the next part of the feast began. He had learned already that the female to be mated hadn't been present yet. The young woman approached in a measured step, escorted by six women. She was wearing a typical dress in cut, but it was of bright color, new and splendidly decorated with beaks, knitted ornaments, and the like. It was a splendid sight!

While Jordan had had more than enough of the main courses, he tried to indulge in another bite of dessert. And it was a pleasure to stare frankly at the bride if that was the correct word. After all, she was there to be seen. The groom was a fortunate man, for she was lovely.

Jordan wondered about the role of her escorts. Was this the same as the bridesmaids at an Earth wedding?

As the bride disappeared again, the feast went on as before, but small family groups headed for the bridegroom. It was time for Chief Samuel and Amanda to present themselves with the twins. They head towards the groom as well. "Come along, Shordan Archah. We will offer our felicitations to the lucky man. You'll be welcome, too, I am sure! Should you wonder if you should offer some present. No, not at all. This will suffice for all of us!" Chief Samuel showed a thick coil of the finest hempen rope. What a strange present!

The groom greeted the Chief and his family and welcomed Jordan, who offered him his congratulations. Without obviously staring, Jordan kept an eye open to see what the groom made of the Chief's gift. He thought, "Since I am with the Chief, I suppose it is my gift as well. There are things I still don't understand, but I am beginning to believe that I will finally come to terms with these mysterious things."

The groom accepted the gift with a grin and much politeness as well. As had been the case on Earth, there was not much time for small talk in such a line of welcoming or, like now, for more than congratulations and felicitations. Because of the importance of the Chief, they took a few minutes and used English except for a few traditionally phrases in their own tongue. Jordan believed they spoke in English because of his presence.

The groom addressed Jordan directly, "Shordan Archah, it is very good of you to come. I do thank you. I look forward to speaking to you about some items for my household. You are very gifted. I am among those who have admired your products! Thank you!"

When the groom finished, the Chief said, "There's only the ceremony left where the groom goes to the final courtship hut. We can now politely go back home." Chief Samuel and his family were neither related nor desirous to get a few more dishes and drinks for free, and so it was no big deal for them to leave somewhat early.

"Did you see all those ropes?" "He'll be busy in the hut!" "Oh, she'll manage!" Jordan overheard the twins talking to each other.

Then the singing resumed a bit differently than before, and the groom was escorted with much joking and shoulder clapping to a special hut, the Final Courtship Hut, carrying what must be nearly two hundred meters of rope. Jordan retired with the Chief's family and returned with them to Chief Samuel's lodge.

Amanda encouraged Jordan to speak out, "You have many questions, surely, Shordan Archah. Do not be shy. We are friends. Just ask!"

“Chief Samuel, Amanda," he began, "I have been to many weddings on Earth, but this is my first one on Newhome. Frequently, the wedding gifts on Earth are on display, and I have seen things that surprised me. But I have never seen rope given as a gift. The groom was pleased with the gift. Was he pleased because the gift came from the Chief and his family, or did the rope itself please him? If it was the rope that pleased him, will his new mate submit herself for him to use the rope on her?"

He knew he must have had a hopeful expression on my face. Jordan never deemed that he'd make a great poker player. After they explained these rope gifts to him, he desperately wanted to ask about Muddy. She had been on his mind a lot that night.

“Well, maybe you know more than we suspected. However, it is best if we show you! You mustn't misunderstand, mind: we strongly believe that marriage means partnership!" explained Amanda while Samuel leaned back, relaxed, and smiled at his beloved wife. It was entirely proper that she took the lead at this time.

Amanda continued, "But in the end, one has to have the final say. There's no better compliment when a woman with a strong personality, being her own woman, says to a man, 'I'll be your mate, and therefore I submit to you!' (sigh) The male has to prove his worthiness by proving skill and devotion, and care in all things. Especially when he is tying her up for mutual pleasure. (giggle) Yes, he's tying her up at this moment, or perhaps he has finished! Sheilah, Tommy, would you demonstrate for our guest?"

“Certainly, mother!” the twins replied at once!

Jordan's thoughts raced, "I am surprised, but not surprised. The Creek were Bandits and expected the Creek women were required to be submissive. Based on my experiences with Maddie on Newhome, it seemed likely that their tie-up games were not at all forced and were consensual. But what were Sheilah and Tommy going to show me? They would be in their twentieth year, in Earth years. Only seventeen years here on Newhome. Tommy was a fine-looking young man, strapping in size, and was preparing to be a warrior. Sheilah as well, I now knew. Sheilah, I had avoided thinking about her as much as possible. Raven-haired, tall, athletically built and had well-developed breasts showing generous cleavage. As a guest of the Chief or, indeed, the Creek, I knew to keep my thoughts away from her. What were they going to show me now?"

The Chief said, "Shordan Archah, You are a distinguished guest in our hut, and we trust that you will be careful what you will say to other Colonists and in which manner. My children are proud to show what they have achieved."

Indeed, Jordan concluded that watching this was much less annoying than listening to the pitiful effort of a kid trying to play the violin. Certainly, it was fascinating. Tommy bound his sister's arms by pulling a loop just above the elbows and winding the strands from both directions cross-wise down to just above her wrists. He pulled her shoulders and elbows together tremendously.

Amanda commented, "Notice how he avoids putting pressure on veins and arteries! Crossing the wrists is usually considered the more effective way but doing it like this is also quite inescapable."

It was a bit like a mono-glove but by coils of rope. Tommy had made a very tight binding, although Sheilah seemed relaxed and was breathing calmly and deeply. Sometimes she exchanged a good-humored remark with her brother. She even let her brother lead her closer to Jordan so he could see how she was bound up close. When Jordan nodded to him, he took Sheilah back a few steps, knotted the end of yet another rope to the arm-binding, and threw the end over a beam beneath the roof. Slowly, very slowly, he pulled at the end and forced his sister to bend forward, stopping when her body was nearly parallel to the floor and fixing the rope with a double knot. But he was not finished yet.

Jordan was hoping that his face wasn't reflecting his excitement. He could not help but remember the joy he and Maddie had found with her tied in a strappado. Jordan understood now why the Chief and Amanda were unwilling to introduce him to a Creek woman. They thought a Creek woman would think he was a babe in the woods, worse than useless. But he could see no way of telling them of his history with Maddie without great embarrassment on all sides.

Jordan still didn't know what his options might be. Could he go raiding with the Creek and try to capture a woman from another tribe? Or was this Muddy an option. Now, there was a thought! It almost seemed as if they were dangling her in front of me. If that was the case, what would Muddy's reaction be? If Jordan had learned anything about Bandits, it was to be patient and let things unfold at their natural rate.

Amanda was the first to broach the subject, "I noticed you watching the girl, Muddy, at the festivity. So would you tell me what is intriguing you, Shordan Archah?"

“Ma'am, I think it is only human nature that anyone as alone as I have been will look with interest at any woman of proper age who is not clearly attached to someone. And it was a mystery that Muddy is in a different status than other Creek until it was explained. Also, I wonder what she would look like cleaned up and dressed better. I wonder if she is from a tribe with submission traditions similar to the Creek, or is this unique to the Creek?" Jordan knew the answer to his last question from the reports written by Lou Harriman he and Maddie had read. But he thought that it was appropriate for him to ask the question.

Samuel answered, "The traditions we heed in this aspect are widely spread with some regional peculiarities. I have heard of tribes where a kind of staged kidnapping is part of the courtship process, but this might be a rumor. Some people have said that because her origin is quite dubious and her parents must have been renegades or outcasts, they couldn't have been decent folk and therefore hadn't had decent traditions. I do not see it this way. Anyway, she has been with us since she was a small girl. It is difficult to say what she remembers of their kind of ways other than hardship, wandering about, and violence."

Chief Samuel looked at Amanda to continue, which she did. "On many occasions, the female folk come together to prepare the courtship hut or other festivities. Some sort of labor is better done in a group. There is a special group of women who are the Guardians of the Courtship, usually three to six women for this. With my advice, the Chief appoints the Guardians for each Courtship. Young girls are invited to help with most of the events, traditions are carried on this way, and there's some chatting along."

Samuel laughs hoarsely. “Some chatting? Some?”

Amanda retorted, "You keep your tongue. I am speaking! There is as much talking as is necessary. The girls pick things up at young age like Sheilah is listening now, and so is Tommy. I remember Muddy had been present many times and knows the Creek-way of things. She never seemed unsettled by them. She had been very unruly, even naughty when being younger, but she is calmer now. However, she is causing unrest. It is not her fault, I have to say. In hindsight, it might have been a mistake that late Chief Duncan decided she would not be attached to a family but would belong to the whole village. Now that she is older, she has no family relations whatsoever. There's neither a mother nor father looking after her constantly and making a match, you see? Who would provide the festivity on the bride's side? But she's coming of age while still outcast within the village. This is not good. Tommy? Sheilah? I notice you want to speak, too?"

The siblings had indeed exchanged looks. In mutual consent, they agreed that Muddy's role in their little bondage circle could not be revealed, but there was information they could unveil without much harm! Tommy said, "You are quite right, mother. Some boys are thinking of having some fun, maybe. She has no protection other than what she provides for herself. She is quite mean with throwing stones, as one or two have learned already!"

Both Samuel and Amanda were surprised at hearing this.

Sheilah added, "I think she will run away soon, for she has no hope. Her true feelings are difficult to say; she keeps her own counsel. Muddy might be a bandit by origin and is a bit wild, but I think father is also right. She knows our traditions and keeps to them. I would not be surprised if – deep inside, mind! - she wished to be treated like anyone else. And another thing, she goes about filthy on purpose lately! True, she gets dirty work assigned, but a few years back, she was taking more care of herself. It might be that she has lost hope. Why should she appear pretty and nice when nobody will ever want her? And, yes, Tommy is right as well. She knows some might have bad thoughts, so she might be unattractive on purpose, hoping to be left alone."

Amanda and Samuel were leaning back, looking grave. Then Samuel said, “Shordan Archah, maybe you could do everybody a big favor.”

This was a fateful moment for Jordan. He could see now that the Chief, indeed his whole family, had been prepping him for this since he arrived. He had no idea whether Muddy and he would have any compatibility or not. He was not looking for a woman just to have a servant. If he found the arrangement unsatisfactory, would he have an option to terminate it? "Wait, that is how I should proceed," he thought.

“Chief Samuel, Amanda, Muddy knows the entire Creek tribe owns her. Creek women have a broad choice of their mates. If you give Muddy to me, she will think I own her just as the Creek do. I do not wish to own Muddy or any other woman. Could Muddy be presented with the plan for her to come with me for some fixed time? During that time, I will teach her practical carpentry skills that she could use to earn her living as a free person. At the end of that period, if we both agree, we will mate. If not, she will then be a free woman.”

“I know some have used Muddy as a drudge and will resent losing her services. But I sense that the Creek are a freedom-loving people, and I believe that most Creek would be happy to see her have the means to support herself. All I would ask is that she will be submissive to me during the trial. I would treat her well, especially if she pleases me because I am looking for a mate. We should begin by spending a day and a night together to see if this is a path we wish to take. Does this seem like a reasonable plan to you?"

"She will see the reason, I am sure!" interfered Sheilah confidently, and Tommy added, "Maybe not from the start, but I agree! She's not known as being exuberantly joyous or eloquent, but she is very clever. She'll see the chance offered and adapt quickly!"

Even Amanda and Samuel were surprised by this.

"Indeed she will!" Sheilah struggled hard not to reveal what Muddy would not like to be told, nor could she reveal that Angela Wise had given Muddy some lessons in herbology, for that decision was Angela's. But Sheilah thought she still could do her friend a favor. It also occurred to her that Muddy was maybe the perfect match for Shordan Archah, whom she respected highly.

"I know she's usually taciturn and seems disinterested, running around with a blank face, but I believe that's fake. She's learned English quicker than many, and without being able to attend classes regularly! You could do worse, Shordan Archah!"

In this, the twins spoke the truth as they knew it. However, they had no idea of the anger and other dark thoughts haunting Muddy!

Amanda and Samuel looked at each other, mutely agreed to take it for granted, and looked at their guest again. They nodded.

“I shall talk about it with the elders tomorrow!" replied Chief Samuel. "Do not be surprised if things move more rapidly than you would like. Or move in a different direction. To be successful, you must satisfy the elders as well as Muddy. Besides, she will probably respect firmness and strength more than leniency and understanding. However, I respect you for your thinking, Shordan Archah! You'd do maybe better if you keep her in custody and reward her later."

Amanda seemed to agree, "…but it would be up to you, Shordan Archah."

Jordan answered, "I will think long and hard about your suggestions, Chief. I recognize that you have much experience and wisdom in these matters. If the elders wish to talk to me, I will be pleased to present myself to them. Tommy, if I can ask you a question, how long will you keep your sister bound in this manner? As someone new to these things, it appears that it must put a significant strain on Sheilah's shoulders to have her arms pulled away from her back at that angle. And isn't it hard for her to be bent over that way? But Sheilah, you do not show any sign of stress or strain at all."

Tommy was looking at his parents, smiling a bit sheepishly.

Sheilah said, “Shordan Archah, you are a very clever man. You have just found out why there are Guardians present during a Final Courtship! Mooooother?”

Amanda ordered, “Tommy, you will fetch us a bucket-load of wood to feed the fire. And then you’ll undo your sister’s bindings. Gently, but at once.”

“Yes, mother,” agreed Tommy.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

This is an incredibly rich chapter, rich in detail, rich plot wise: Jordan becomes a witness of a final courtship ceremony among the creeks. And he learns about Muddy, her story: I Iked the way you described how Jordan first percieved Muddy.

It will be interesting how Muddy will respond to the proposal for her future. Jordan´s approach seems sensible: To offer her a chance, to get free and independent

I am looking forward to the first meeting of Muddy and Jordan. I would be not surpised that she will not be delighted in the first place ....
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Thank you, [mention]Caesar73[/mention]. Your detailed comments are most welcomed.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago This is an incredibly rich chapter, rich in detail, rich plot wise: Jordan becomes a witness of a final courtship ceremony among the creeks. And he learns about Muddy, her story: I Iked the way you described how Jordan first percieved Muddy.
It was our intent to offer a lot of red meat to facilitate the pivot away from Kennedy and Jordan's tragedies there. Jordan just doesn't know what to make of Muddy.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago It will be interesting how Muddy will respond to the proposal for her future. Jordan´s approach seems sensible: To offer her a chance, to get free and independent
That is the way I thought things should happen. But when have politicians ever done anything that makes sense? Even fantasy fiction cannot overcome that reality.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago I am looking forward to the first meeting of Muddy and Jordan. I would be not surpised that she will not be delighted in the first place ....
No, Muddy is not going to be delighted. But this is fiction and strange things can happen.

After your generous remarks, I had expected more comment on this chapter. But it seems that is not to be. The story will continue on 08/04/22.
Spy Task Force Completed
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

-----

Chapter 15 - Muddy is taken to the Glen (FFF/F M/F)
By @GreyLord and @Nainur

Jordan Archer spent a troubled night after the first day of the Final Courtship, for much was on his mind. Yet the next day provided fine weather and distraction. His gift of crossbows generated respect and gratitude.

“The big benefit, Shordan Archah," said Samuel, "is that females who could never handle a strong bow can handle this weapon and release a potent arrow, or bolt, as you call it? Strange, for 'bolt' is a name for a squirrel in our tongue. Shooting with squirrels is a funny thought, really. I believe you will have to produce more and I will help you to arrange a reasonable price. They are worth it, and you are, too! This will add much to our capability to defend our territory in times of trouble. We have no intentions to expand, but others might! Good job!"

They shook hands in the way of the Colonists, watched by a small, friendly crowd. Jordan Arch was on the way to becoming a celebrity and also got the impression that a couple of youngsters seemed very interested and might be willing to learn carpentry in years to come.

The Council of Elders listened in a friendly manner. First, the Chief's idea to send Muddy with the 'new-man' gained a 'yay' almost without discussion. This was favored so much that there was no question about asking Muddy what she would like to say about it, for a denial would cause problems the councils simply wasn't keen to face. Therefore, they expressed the hope that Shordan Archah could keep her at bay, for she was deemed rebellious and strong-minded. But, with self-interest in mind, old Frederick voiced another vital message, "Shordan Archah, you are becoming a friend to us! We wish you well and mourn your late wife we never came to know. We can see how you are suffering from loneliness. You have our very best wishes that all will turn out for the best, and Muddy will agree to turn from captive to become your mate. This would be well for Muddy too. She deserves to find happiness finally!"

It had been agreed that Jordan would load his wagon the following morning, and a rendezvous had been arranged outside the village. Chief Samuel would deliver Muddy tied and gagged to avoid any fuss. "You could ever catch her again, believe me, my friend!" said Samuel ruefully.

The following morning, Amanda, Sheilah, and Angela went to find Muddy and had her follow them to the bath hut. Sheilah lit the fire to heat the bath water earlier and had brought new clothing for Muddy. There were also coils of rope standing ready.

Amanda said, "Muddy, remove your clothing and climb into the tub. It is time for you to bathe. Actually, it is long past time."

“No Creek has ever bathed me,” Muddy said. “What have I done? How much trouble am I in now?”

Angela answered, “Muddy, I have never led you wrong, have I?”

“No, Angela, you have not. Others, however,…”

“Then believe me," Angela continued, "big changes are coming to your life. I believe in my heart that these will be good changes for you. I hope that you will give them a chance."

Muddy’s response was to bolt, but Sheilah had very fast reactions and laid hands on her before she reached the door. Angela, almost as quick, stood before Muddy and inserted her knife down the neck of Muddy’s dress. In moments, Muddy was naked. Angela said, “Amanda, help me hold her hands behind her back. Sheilah, tie her hands firmly. Muddy, you are making things hard on yourself. Stop it! Sheilah, when her hands are secure, gag her.”

Before the gag was in place, Muddy asked, “Healer Angela, Sheilah, why are you doing this to me?”

Sheilah answered, “I am your friend, Muddy. We all believe that this will be to your advantage.” The three women washed Muddy spotlessly from her toes to her hair. They untied her to dress her and then carefully tied her up again. Amanda noted how proficient Sheilah was at that. Amanda and Angela went to the door to assess the situation outside. Sheilah took that moment to whisper to Muddy, "Don't mess this up, Muddy. You are going to be given to Shordan Archah. Unless you are a complete fool, this is a wonderful thing for you. The Colonists have magic beyond our understanding. You are on the edge of an unbelievable opportunity. And I have been around him long enough to see that he is a good man. Give him a chance!"

The Colonist! This was stunning news to Muddy, almost shocking!

Amanda and Angela came back to Sheilah and Muddy. Amanda said, "Muddy, we will take you to your new master now. You can walk, or we can carry you. What will it be?"

“Hmmmph," said Muddy as she turned and started walking to the door. Composed and chin held high, as she imagined a chief's daughter would be. Outside, Amanda and Angela each took an arm and led Muddy to Jordan's wagon. Sheilah walked behind her. They helped Muddy climb onto the wagon seat, where they tied her legs above the knees and at her ankles. They lashed her to the seat, so there was no way that Muddy could throw herself off the wagon.

“You may not see it at the moment,” Amanda told her, “but I promise you that this is in your best interest as much as Shordan Archah’s. We wish you well in your new life.”

It was mid-morning, and Jordan found it notable that she was washed and her hair combed. Tommy had told him earlier about the intentions of his mother, sister, and Angela. They had also given her a new buckskin dress. Jordan was pleased to see that she showed good cleavage. Muddy saw Jordan looking at her and looked back with a dead expression.

As he slowly drove out of the Creek camp, many Creeks watched him pass. Many waved goodbye. Two hours later, he stopped the wagon and turned to Muddy.

After removing her gag, he said, “Muddy, I understand that you have not been given any choice in being here. Amanda, Angela, and Sheilah ordered you into the bath and dressed you. You were tied up and brought to me already gagged. You have my permission to talk now. You can tell me whatever you wish to say. I promise you that I will not punish you in any way for what you might say. If I tire of your talking, I will ask you to stop. If you do not, I can gag you again. But not as a punishment. Just to stop you from talking.”

For long minutes, Muddy had nothing to say. She looked at Jordan with an expression on her face that he could not interpret. It was likely that she had never been invited to express her opinion before. This would be a strange and new thing for her. Anything she said now might be more a product of fear and uncertainty than the truth. Jordan knew that he would have to proceed very slowly with Muddy. Freedom would have to be given to her very gradually.

There was no question in Jordan's mind that he wanted to put his hands on her body. He thought she was beautiful now that she was cleaned up and dressed well. But he knew that would be a mistake at the moment. "Slowly, Jordan, proceed slowly," he thought.

Muddy frowned at Jordan. She heard all those words that promised her all would be well. But here she was, tied up and taken away from the only place she knew. She thought, "Well, never mind if I was happy in the village or not. It was home to me. Now they've abandoned me to give me to this Colonist like I am surplus cattle. Is it because they want more of his tools, items, or whatever he is making. I am quite sure of it. I admit they are awesome, but why am I paying for them? I have never ever had anything! This is so unfair! And what this Colonist is saying, he will not punish me? These are words of a weakling, surely! Gag me to make me stop talking? Good, I'll never be gagged again. I know better than to talk in lengthy terms to males. I am not much of a talker. I am a doer. You'll learn my intentions soon enough, Colonist!". So Muddy just answered, "Where are you going to take me?"

“Muddy, we are going to the home I have constructed. It will take us about two more hours of travel to get there.”

Muddy looked around. That was closer than expected. When she did run for her freedom, she must know as much as possible about the area. They have never taken me farther than an hour's walk away from the village. Excellent. "So you are not living in that big Colonist's village? Have heard it's being called Ken-and-Eddie. I have also heard they are taking people there for devious purposes!" Muddy conveyed much distrust because of the strange Colonist's behavior.

Jordan told her, "Our home in the Glen is about two-thirds of the way between the Creek village and the edge of the forest. Kennedy is almost twice as far as the distance from the edge of the forest to your village. The Glen is as close to Kennedy as I want to get. I don't know anything about people being taken to Kennedy for devious purposes. Can you tell me more about what you have heard?"

She did not believe this, just frowned. When she did not respond, Jordan said, "Let's get started again. Would you like a drink of water first? Being gagged can make you thirsty. I want you to know that it was my wish for you to join me by invitation. But Chief Samuel and Amanda did not think that was the proper Creek way to do this. I know that you must think of me as an enemy right now. But I am not. At the same time, I must do this the Creek way. You understand that means I will keep you restrained until I am confident you will not run away."

Muddy replied, ““Yes, I see! So far. Why am I here exactly? I've been told you Colonists abduct people to eat them when you have worked 'em into the ground, and you sacrifice children to your dark gods!" Muddy spoke quite seriously, clearly worried about what might be actually correct. There was much gossip in the huts. With her hands tied behind her back, Muddy couldn’t take a drink from my canteen. I put a hand behind her head and carefully lifted the canteen to her lips. She accepted the drink. “Weakling!” she was thinking again. “You won’t break me this way!”

“That certainly isn't true," Jordan responded. "There are some bad Colonists just like there are some bad Creek. But there is nothing like the practice you described."

“When I arrived on Newhome, I was married to a wonderful woman, Madeline. She was called Maddie. Colonist marriage is like the Creek mating, but different. Less than a year after we arrived, she became very sick, and I lost her. Other bad things happened to me, and I became very depressed. Finally, I thought that my skills could be used by the Creek. I didn't even know exactly where the Creek lived. But Maddie and I had found a wonderful Glen in the forest where we are now going. This is where I have constructed my home in the woods near the river. Fred Kennedy introduced me to Chief Samuel, and the Chief approved of me living in the Glen and trading with the Creek. On this trip to the Creek village, I told the Chief and Amanda about Maddie and that I was lonesome. That is what led to you being here now."

Muddy broke in, saying, "I have heard of this Fred Ken-and-Eddie. The Colonist Lou came to our village, and I heard her speak of him. Lou and Fred are not like the rest of you Colonists. They believe in the Bandits!" Indeed, Muddy had heard many tales of the 'Famous Lou' and was impressed with how Lou Harriman had carried herself. To Muddy, she was the exception to the rule, and Lou had spoken sooth when spreading the word of warning!

“I don’t rate myself in the same category as Fred Kennedy or Lou Harriman,” Jordan continued. “We will both just have to wait and see how this develops. I will follow the Creek way and require that you submit to me. But I will also follow my customs where they do not conflict with the Creek way. That means that I will give you choices whenever possible.”

Jordan capped the canteen and hung it from a peg on the wagon seat. They were close together, and his hand was still behind her head. He gently pulled her toward him and gave her a brief hug. Then he released her and took up the reins to continue our journey.

Muddy thought his answer was no surprise. She would expect an answer like that if it were true. But they might be just stories, like the stories about other tribes. Obviously, they were not going to that place, Ken-and-Eddie. That's the main thing, and the rest she would see.

She had listened to the other part of his tale more intensely. She had to ask, "Muddy, like me?" He said his mate's name again, and she got the slight difference into her hearing. Maddie. She thought, "Well, it was a sad story, touching. But he could have stayed at home and lived happily ever after. Then she wouldn't be sitting here, on this, what's the name of this thing? No business of mine! And no man had taken me in their arms for a hug. This is strange. I am not used to it. Am unsure if I like it. I am certainly neither used to nor liked to sit on this bumpy thing!"

Muddy asked, "I would like to walk!"

She would run later, that's sure. But only after she had sorted some things out. For now, she needed to see, listen, learn and then think it over. It was quite possible that she would kill this Colonist someday. And then she would run away. When the Creek learned about it, she'd be long gone! Better and better!

“I thought our first conversation exchange could have been worse," Jordan thought. "One small sentence from her. I had told her that I would give her choices where I could. Now I needed to make this happen for Muddy." He pulled the horses to a halt and applied the brake to the wagon.

Putting down the reins, he turned to Muddy and untied the rope that lashed her to the seat. Then he untied her ankles and legs. He could not avoid touching her legs in the process, but he was careful not to touch her more than was required to remove the binding.

He was almost shy lifting her and found out she didn't weigh much. It was easy to lift her to the ground. The Chief thoughtfully provided him with plenty of rope. So he tied a length of rope to the rope harness around her chest. He attached it to the cinch between her elbows and led her to the driver's side. Jordan hitched the other end of the rope to the wagon on the driver's side.

Jordan wanted to let her see that he was accommodating what she requested, but he was still careful to keep her secure. "The lead from the wagon to you will allow you two meters of movement back and forth or side to side. I will be careful to drive at a walking pace. I want you to tell me if I go too fast or if you need a rest. And you can tell me if you would like to return to the wagon at any time." Jordan waited to see if she had anything else to say before he got back in the wagon to resume their travel.

Not really. “I see!” she simply said.

Muddy had raised her eyebrows briefly as that Colonist actually stopped this cart-wagon-what's-the-name-thing. Muddy thought, "I had not begged, so I did not see any reason to thank for it. And I guess I was a bit amazed as he touched my legs with, well, fair to say...tenderness? My legs are shapely and trim, for I am used to being on my tiny feet the whole day, almost every day of the week. That was one reason I wanted to walk beside to make up my mind. He's talking quite much, I think. And he seemed to think of me as dumb as a mole. I could see the length of the rope. Why was he bothering to tell me?

“And was he asking to go back on the wagon later? Well, why? I could give him a few miles head start, catch him up and leave him far behind by the end of the day. I was sure about it! Yes, he's strong, way stronger than me. I would give him that. He has broad shoulders and good, strong arms and hands. I was a feather in his hands. Well, he's working with wood and stuff. That'd explain it. But in all fairness, he's too heavily built for a runner."

Muddy continued thinking while she waited as he got on his seat again. Then she followed as he urged the horses to move on, followed without much effort. She believed she could outrun the horses in this tree-covered, hilly land. She could even carry some food, a blanket, and weapons.

"I also wanted to walk because I needed to control myself. This was not only confusing but infuriating! Just when my scheme to escape from those miserable Creek and had scouted much of the surrounding country without raising suspicion, just as I was about to select the best route and where to hide provisions, they gave me to this Colonist! But this might be easier to do.

"And I think they were happy to get rid of me, without overthinking, like a less desirable piece of cattle! To be fair, Sheilah was almost in tears for a moment, and Angela tried to calm and comfort me, but they would never do this to one of their ugly daughters! I could stomp with my foot and cry out in rage, but that was not good. Instead, I shall pretend to be docile and lull his watchfulness.

“What I need to do now is plan anew how to win free. By walking, I could get a better feeling for the land and distance and look to both sides without being observed constantly. We have managed a goodly distance from the village already. This was well. The longer the Creek took to learn about my escape, the better! I admit the best Creek runners would best me, but I doubt their perseverance. After a few days, they would go home again, for sure. I could even afford not to kill him. I need to take care not to arouse untimely suspicion. This meant being patient again! But there was no other way. I must wait longer.

Assessing this, she was wondering about the place he lived. "How strange a place would it be? For I have had rumors about this place. And of demon-like creatures which seemed to be servants of the Colonist. I did not believe they were fed with people – and by people, I meant Creek, Comanche, and the like. But they were strange by all accounts.

"Even Angela, the shaman healer, had watched them from afar and counseled patience. She counseled to keep distance also, for it remained to see what harm these creatures would do to the balance of the nature of things. Undoubtedly, they caused a disturbance, but Angela meant a disturbance might shift the balance a bit, but the harm could be small like a flood would swell the river, change its way, and then the river would flow peacefully. I would meet those creatures now. A frightening thought! But I do not want to be afraid!"

She always believed she was from bolder stock than those farming Creek villagers. They were pigeons, and she was a falcon. But the prospect was worrying. What if those creatures were quick and far-sighted? They might catch her again!

Muddy continued thinking, "I need to learn everything I can about them. And becoming aware of this, I needed to learn more about this man, Shordan Archah, for he was the master of those creatures. I should better not underestimate him."

Jordan continued following the river downstream. The path had ups and downs but nothing too steep. The wagon was loaded with goods from his trade with the Creek. He was going slow for the horses and for Muddy. Muddy was in excellent condition. She kept pace easily.

Muddy was soaking the area in. She saw good, fertile land. She knew there would be deer to be found here, hares also, and berries galore. She could live from this land easily, she guessed. But first, she needed to lower his watchfulness. Even a Colonist would be on his guard, wouldn't he? This Shordan Archah had made no mistakes with her yet. Shordan Archah… why had the Creek given him a proper name? She thought. It made her mad.

-----

Magnus had dropped his veneer of politeness in talking to the Admiral. “You are getting yourself and the Colony into a situation with no good ending. I certainly hope that you do not plan on calling on me for help. You have lost me the prize that I worked to win. You have stirred up hatred for Lou Harriman, but you are unable to find her. I should have recognized your lack of ability earlier and planned around it. Good day, I can see myself out.”
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

So Muddy and Jordan meet for the first time - and as to be expected she is anything else than keen of living with Jordan. At the moment she seems to be hell bent on running off on the first opportunity. She has a plan: First to learn all she can from Jordan and the robots. That this is not love at first sight was pretty clear. Muddy´s approach, luring Jordan into safety and learning from him all she can, is a sound approach and she tells herself not to underestimate him.

The last paragraph brought a change of scene as of tone: We learn who is calling the shots in the colony - and it is not the Admiral.
BlissfulMisery
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BlissfulMisery »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago After your generous remarks, I had expected more comment on this chapter. But it seems that is not to be. The story will continue on 08/04/22.
Was away and unable to keep reading/comment for a while, so apologies for that.

Seems like there is going to be quite the tense standoff between Jordan and Muddy. I wonder how long it will take Jordan to understand her real viewpoints on the situation (or perhaps how long it will take Muddy to change her viewpoints?).

A lot of her feelings are very understandable however. From her point of view, the closest thing she had to friends basically just betrayed her, or at least did not seem to care much about her opinion before they shipped her off as, from her point of view, a bargaining chip to ingratiate the Creek with Jordan. Sure he says a lot of stuff that might sound good on paper, but ultimately he is holding all the power, and she has zero reason to trust him. Actions speak louder then words and all that, so hopefully Jordan gets a chance to prove his intentions.

Honestly she is being pretty calm about it overall (I do not think most would take it this well), but she is used to being treated poorly.

Trouble is brewing at the colony too. I could see it turning into a schism/split with some kind of civil war between factions of Colonists, which ultimately leads to the destruction of what technology they have imported from earth. It seems Fred's fears may be coming true sooner rather then later.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago ... She has a plan: First to learn all she can from Jordan and the robots. That this is not love at first sight was pretty clear. Muddy´s approach, luring Jordan into safety and learning from him all she can, is a sound approach and she tells herself not to underestimate him.

The last paragraph brought a change of scene as of tone: We learn who is calling the shots in the colony - and it is not the Admiral.
These are very keen observations, if I may say so, and these remarks should be kept in mind.

Also [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention] is pointing very clearly at Muddy's position, and calling it "standoff" is to the point, in my opinion. Potentially she is a very dangerous person: scheming patiently, someone who might be called a 'bandit-fanatic'. It remains to be seen if she will turn more and more toward that direction or if she might re-adjust her view-point. Truly, Jordan is holding the cards, but he has to play them with care, the more so that he appears unaware of a danger other than a possible escape attempt.

All in all: Jordan's wish to live in peace is sadly threatened, not the least by what's happening in the Colony.
charliesmith
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by charliesmith »

I still haven't caught up to the end, but enjoying every chapter so far :D
Please feel free to read and comment your thoughts.
My ongoing stories:

Roadtrip of Dreams (M/F) Chapter 14 Added.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago So Muddy and Jordan meet for the first time - and as to be expected she is anything else than keen of living with Jordan. At the moment she seems to be hell bent on running off on the first opportunity. She has a plan: First to learn all she can from Jordan and the robots. That this is not love at first sight was pretty clear. Muddy´s approach, luring Jordan into safety and learning from him all she can, is a sound approach and she tells herself not to underestimate him.

It is as if our protagonists are swept along by the tide of events unknowingly, [mention]Caesar73[/mention]. It is possible that Muddy has heart and we all know that our hearts can take us in directions that our minds would not. Thank you for your post.

[mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention], Welcome back, it is very good to have your comments again. Thank you so much.

[mention]Nainur[/mention], I appreciate your reply to [mention]BlissfulMisery[/mention].
charliesmith wrote: 1 year ago I still haven't caught up to the end, but enjoying every chapter so far :D
I'm delighted that you are reading our story, [mention]charliesmith[/mention]. Thank you very much for posting. Your comment reminds me of myself just a little over a year ago. I suddenly found myself at the beginning of long, wonderful stories by [mention]slackywacky[/mention], [mention]wolfman[/mention], and others. It was heady to discover such a wealth of new material.

The next chapter will be posted in three days.
Spy Task Force Completed
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

With Muddy and Jordan together, the two story lines seem to be connected.

Only, I cannot say I am too happy what is happening. I lost a lot of respect for Jordan for making this move. What is he thinking? He is a man destroyed by grief, depression, and booze. Company does not seem to be the problem: He wants a new Maddie, someone to tie up and have sex with. Someone to physically overpower. Then he chooses a young woman he barely knows and reminds him of his late wife, making him lovesick. He basically kidnaps her and brings her to his glen, a place without any outside interference. That truly sounds like a recipe for disaster.

And what to think of the Creek? They willingly put Muddy into this position, which could easily end in a painful, violent death for some helpful things. Sure, Muddy is not a part of their tribe, but I had at least expected some of Muddy's friends to protest. They just don't seem to care the slightest. Nor is anyone concerned that Muddy can overpower or kill Jordan in his sleep, costing them their business. I am not sure what gamble they try to make, but it almost seems naive.

I get what you are trying to do in this story (give Muddy gradual trust in Jordan), but the point where it starts almost seems too low.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic