Revelation (M/F) (F/M) - A sequel to Devastation

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

GreyLord wrote: 2 years ago Truly great development of the story line, @wolfman. Pilar is a snake and bad things need to happen to him. But after Hel and the other souls he has taken are recovered. You are maneuvering the story in a was that feels right. Good work.
Thank you for your kind words. It is hard to find the balance between the girls being skilled but still so young, which is why there is more of a delay than usual between chapters. But fear not the next installment is below
View my latest story, Revelation, here;

https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8719

To view it's prequel Devastation, please click below;
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7458
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

The surrendered soldiers walk two abreast along the abandoned street, with their hands on their heads, between the cars parked one either side of the road. Kim walks off to the left, level with the front of the line. Her right hand rests on a MAC-10 strapped to her leg. On her left arm, she wears her shield. She looks at every open window and the profile of every rooftop, wary of ambush.

Anya mirrors Kim position to the right of the line. Her shield is on her right arm and her left hand rests on the CAP gun on her hip. Subconsciously she watches windows and rooftops, her gaze never sweeping the same feature at the same time as her sister.

Tara walks level with the mid point of the line of men to her right, head on a swivel. Her breathing is uneven and her pulse races. She keeps her hands free, feeling ready for anything that may come, keeping a soft focus on her vision, not looking at any particular point just letting her eyes play along the street looking for signs of something out of place.

Ali walks level with the end of the line to her left. She walks backwards, with a shield on each arm, looking for anything behind them that looks out of place. "Movement." She psis, trying not to stare, at the spot she saw a bush move out of time with the breeze.

"Can you see who?" Kim psis, carefully checking in front of them.

"No, just an out of place movement." Ali psis, beginning to doubt herself, sending a flash of what she saw.

"Assume it is someone. Take no chances." Kim psis, before she subtly keys her radio, "Boudicca to Fey come in, over." She subvocalises.

"Boudicca. Fey reporting. You alright? Over." Fey says, watching the procession from on high.

"Are you at ground level? Over." Kim asks, without breaking her stride.

"Negative. Over." Fey confirms, her brow wrinkled with concern.

"Possible tango. Eucalyptus Bush. Northern side of the street, twenty metres behind Mystic. Over." Kim explains, hoping "I hope I don't sound like a dumbass."

Fey lays prone on the rooftop and shoulders a suppressed carbine, raising her eye to the scope. She relaxes and begins a pattern of tidal breathing to slow her heart rate. "Proceed as planned, I will maintain visual until you break line of sight."

Ali breathes a sigh of relief, "Even if it is nothing, I am glad I mentioned it." She thinks, relieved.

"How did Kim see that? Must have been one of the others, but there was no comms traffic." Fey wonders, watching the cat crawl out from under the bush. She waits until the column is out of sight and holds for another minute until slips unseen from her position and moves to catch them up.

"How far are we from the entrance?" Tara psis, feeling tense.

"Maybe another ten minutes." Kim psis, on edge.

Without warning one of the men breaks from the line and begins to run. Anya spins around and raises her hand with a flourish and plants a tranq dart in the man's neck. Tara and Kim cover the line with their tranq weapons, whilst Ali braces to charge. Without warning, the four girls shout in unison, "Down, down, down. Face down."

The men drop on their bellies and put their hands behind their heads, still stunned by the speed of their comrades dispatch.

Kim gestures at two of the remaining men in formation, "Could you please pick him up?" She asks them, in a calm tone.

The men nod and get to their feet dusting themselves off. Cautiously they step from formation and move to their fallen comrade, they raise him up on their shoulders.

Fey watches the scene unfold and shakes her head in disbelief, "That was unexpected. Seems like they have taken don't think, just act to a new level." She replays what she has just seen in her mind and chews her lip, "Vanguard is fast on the draw and smooth. She had her gun in her hand and shot him, almost too fast." She thinks, watching the formation get to their feet again and then continue on their way.

Just as she is about to move, the realisation hits her. "She didn't even look, she just seemed to know where he was." 

"I have to admit it, but I am a little intimidated by Kim and her sisters. They are so well co-ordinated it's scary." Fey admits to herself.

"Nearly there." Kim psis, "In the movies, this is where things go wrong, just when we are close enough to sense the end."

All of the girls feel their hackles rise. Ali doesn't think, she just sprints along the line and dives with her shields held out, protecting the men as a burst of assault rifle fire rips across the street. With a MAC-10 in each hand, Kim sprays the shop front window, driving the head of the shooter down. Anya pulls the shotgun and shatters the window with a brace of bean bags, then watches the street, thumbing two fresh rounds into the weapon. Tara leaps at the line of men pulling many to the ground and then flips forward and begin to sprint under Kim's fire towards the window.

Fey watches bewildered, as Ali runs after Tara, while Anya and Kim watch the street. "They are a well oiled machine."

The shooter pops his head up, the moment the submachine gun fire stops. He senses is a black blur pass overhead a split second before a stunchaku connects with the base of his skull. Tara lands from her flip and catches the shooter with her free hand and throws him into the street, then heads deeper into the shop to search for signs of any others. Ali's shields clatter to the ground, leaving her hands free to catch the man, lowering him to the ground and binding his arms and legs with ruthless efficiency.

Tara clears the buidling room by room, satisfied no one else is there and leaves by stepping through the broken window, "Who did we get?" She psis. Retaking her position on the outskirts of the column, noting the man she took down is being carried by two of the men.

"Diaz reckons he is one of the blokes loyal to Pilar and might know where he is going." Kim psis, giving a thumbs up to the men.

"Awesome. Have you let Angel know?" Tara psis, with a smile.

"Not yet." Kim psis, holding of on keying her headset, to continue, "If you want awesome, just look at the way you took him down."

Tara blushes and psis, "Wasn't as awesome as Anya's spinning shot."

"Nah, Ali's shield dive wins the prize. No one got hit." Anya psis her rebuttal.

"Well some good candidates, but the most awesome, was Kim rescuing us every time we needed it." Ali psis, to approving nods from Anya and Tara.

Kim blushes and psis, "Stop it. We need to focus."

"You started it." Ali psis.

"I am going to check in." Kim psis, too tired to argue.

"Boudicca to Angel, come in over." Kim says, putting her machine pistols away.

"Angel to Boudicca, We heard gunfire. What is your situation? Over." Dani asks concerned.

"We were ambushed. Suspect in custody. Identified as Petty Officer Ruiz, a man loyal to Ensign Pilar who may have information regarding his plans for the reporters. Over." Kim says, feeling her fingers trembling from the fading of the adrenaline.

Dani raises her eyes in surprise, then gives a smile of admiration, "Good work Boudicca. Does anyone require medical attention? Over."

Kim heart swells with pride and she feels invigourated. "Ruiz has a sore head and we have one man who tried to escape that is recovering from a tranq. Over." She signals.

"Copy that Boudicca. Do your team need any medical attention? Over." Angel asks, concerned.

"We are all in bad shape, I say the word now and we can get medical attention." Kim psis. "We can regroup and re-arm before we go after Pilar."

"The longer we wait the further away they get." Anya psis.

"We stand for those who cannot stand for themselves." Ali psis.

"We owe it to our sisters and to Hel to keep going." Tara psis.

Kim nods, "'Negative Angel, we have been lucky. Over." She says, hating lying to Angel.

"Understood Boudicca. What is your eta? Over." Dani signals, suspiciously.

Kim struggles to speak. A maelstrom of emotions well up within her, at the thought and utterance of the words, "We are around the corner. Over."

Dani manages to hold back the tears of joy, welling up inside her and gets to her feet, "I will come to you. Over"

"Negative. Maintain the gates security, we are coming to you." Kim says, feeling deep inside that they need to do this alone.

"'Understood Boudicca, bring 'em home. Over." Dani says, walking towards the gate, to brief the soldiers on duty.

Dani watches, fighting the urge to run to her niece. She can barely hide her dismay at the sight of Kim and her sisters, dressed for all the world like miniature soldiers. She is struck by the teenagers walking like seasoned soldiers, right to the last moment, checking for signs of ambush or escaping prisoners. "They move like soldiers, no radio traffic, each knowing their place. Knowing where each other is by instict and acting accordingly." She assesses, "I don't know about the others, but Kim has lost weight. She must be wearing one of Fey's NAKI suits from the cache. She was about the same build as Fey, but now she looks like she has shed most of her body fat and replaced it with pure muscle."

"Scary huh?" Fey whispers, stepping out from her sister's blind spot.

"A little bit." Dani says, trying not to let her expression betray her. 

"I watched them deal with an escape attempt and the ambush. They are another level." Fey says, smiling and waving at the girls.

"How do you mean?" Dani asks, wondering what Fey has seen.

"Anya turned, drew a weapon, then shot a guy running away behind her in the neck with a tranq dart, barely breaking her stride." Fey says, in a warm soft tone, "When the ambush hit they just acted, like they had been doing it for twenty odd years. Never seen anything like it."

"I wonder how they all got so good." Dani muses.

"Good to see you again, Minh." Joao says, greeting Kim as she walks through the gate, at the head of the line.

"Good to see you too Detective." Kim says, trying to keep her cool. She shakes Joao's hand and nods to him, her face concealed under the faceplate of her helmet, "I formally turn these men over to your custody. Please accept their surrender."

"Thank you, Minh. I accept their surrender." He says, before looking at the man at the head of the line and pointing to a team of waiting officers, "Can you and your men please accompany these officers for processing?"

Diaz salutes and turns to Kim, "You kept your word and got us here safely. If I ever get out of prison, I will honour the debt I owe you and your sisters."

One by one the men salute her and make a similar pledge, each man driving her closer to losing her composure, but none actually succeeding.

When the last man has made his pledge, she watches them walk away, barely registering the hand on her shoulder. As they fade from view, she looks up to see Dani stare down at her. "Angel? Is it really you?" 

"Yes sweetie." Dani beams at Kim, before gently embracing her and whispering, "Shall we get you ladies out of here?"

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

This was a fantastic event, happening at its proper time the the development of things. But, of course, there is more to do. The evil Pilar awaits. Thank you, @wolfman, well written.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

Catching up on all the unread emails is taking some time, but I finally made it to my favorite stories (yes [mention]GreyLord[/mention] and [mention]Caesar73[/mention] getting to yours soon), but I am starting with [mention]wolfman[/mention] :lol:
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

GreyLord wrote: 2 years ago This was a fantastic event, happening at its proper time the the development of things. But, of course, there is more to do. The evil Pilar awaits. Thank you, @wolfman, well written.
Thank you [mention]GreyLord[/mention] it was hard to strike a balance in this chapter. I wanted to show that they ran the gauntlet to get the prisoners to safety and show case their skill but not go too over the top.
slackywacky wrote: 2 years ago Catching up on all the unread emails is taking some time, but I finally made it to my favorite stories (yes [mention]GreyLord[/mention] and [mention]Caesar73[/mention] getting to yours soon), but I am starting with [mention]wolfman[/mention] :lol:
I am both pleased you are back and honoured you started with me. I hope you enjoy.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

With Alvaraz' protests ringing in their ears, Dani leads the girls through the crowd toward a warehouse. "Keep your head down and keep moving. Shout out if you get separated." Dani says, over the headset, while she shepherds them.

Ali and Anya stick close to Dani and Tara, Kim struggles to push through the crowd, and begins to panic, "I can't push through without hurting someone. I don't like this."

Everyone is asking questions at once and she cannot hear any of them as they drown each other out. She squints, trying to see past the sea of camera flashes and feels her pulse start to quicken, feeling the crowd press her from all sides.

Kim flinches at the touch of a hand grabbing hers. "Hey babe, I have got you." Tara psis, with a beaming smile.

"You are the best, T." Kim psis, barely able to contain her relief.

"No babe, you are." Tara psis, sending an image of a love heart, "We are gonna to be ok."

"What about Pilar?" Kim psis.

Thankful for the noise of the crowd, Tara whimpers. "I forgot about our sisters and Hel. I feel terrible." She thinks. Gathering her composure, she psis, "We will take care of him and free all those he has captured and then be free."

"Whatever happens, you will have a home." Kim psis, sending a hug.

"Thanks babe." Tara psis, wishing for all her worth that it were true.

Kim thinks for a moment, then psis, "If anything happens to me, when we go after Pilar. Tell everyone you are me."

Tara's eyes widen in horror under her visor, "No fucking way. Nothing is going to happen to you."

"If anything does, be me and you will be looked after." Kim psis, with the sensation of a hug. "But before it comes to that, we need to bring Anya and Ali in to discuss our plans."

"Do we have a plan?" Tara psis

"Working on it." Kim psis.

They emerge into the break area of a mostly empty warehouse and all of the girls breath a sigh of relief, grateful that they are no longer surrounded by the crowd. Ali approaches a small refreshment station and stands facing the station throwing bottles of water over her shoulder that are effortlessly caught by her sisters.

Dani watches as Ali distributes water and snacks, with unerring accuracy into the hands of her sisters.  "Given how natural she makes that look, that's impressive." She thinks, in admiration.

One of the girls walks over to her and lifts her visor. "Angel? What will happen to us?"' The girl asks, with an American lilt.

Dani lifts her visor to show her face, "We will get you out of here and back to your father Anya." She says, gently, then smiles at her softly. 

"Daddy?" Anya says, her voice full of hope, "When can I see him?"

"Soon sweetie. I promise." Dani assures the young woman.

Anya drifts away and begins chatting excitedly to Ali. Dani smiles watching the girls and thinks, "They have been through so much. It's just not fair."

Dani takes a seat next to Kim and puts her arm around the young womans shoulder. "Hello darling. You have no idea how good it is to have you back."

Kim swallows hard and closes her eyes, unable to speak.

Dani frowns and pulls her close for a hug, "Kim. Is everything alright?" She asks, gently.

Kim looks up at her aunt and wipe a tear from her weary eyes, then signs, "If I start to speak, I am afraid that the flood gates will open and I will crumble. Right now they need me strong at least until we are properly safe. Tara is in bits, because when this is all over, she has no family to take her in. Anya is terrified of going back to the States and being dumped on a sitter, while her dad is off saving the world with the DEA and she has no idea how she is going to live with herself after killing Lupita. Ali can never play rugby again for fear of killing someone and is fighting not to show how heartbroken she is about her brother." 

Dani feels numb, feeling the pain of the young woman in her arms and the effort it is taking her to hold it together.

She stops for a moment taking a deep breath, fighting back tears, "I have killed three people. Faced my own death countless times and had to be strong for them. I have tried so hard to be you, for their sake and I am exhausted. We have faced trouble every step of the way, but somehow have survived, bloodied but alive."

Dani nods thoughtfully, "In their own ways they are all stronger than they realise and all so very broken. They need the kind of strength only family can give." She thinks, then winks at Kim and asks her to "Wait here."

She walks across the break area to where Ali is sitting staring at an apple as if it is the greatest treasure she has ever beheld. The young woman looks up at her confused, but accepts the mobile phone offered to her. Dani leans down and whispers to her, "Speed dial two." Without further explanation.

Dani then walks over to where Anya sits, having removed her boots to flex her toes and feet. The young woman looks up with a smile, when Dani hands her a phone, "Speed dial three." Then returns to Kim's side, putting her arm around her. 

Kim signs, "What have you done?"

"Given them the means to call their fathers and get a boost that they need." Dani says softly, giving her a phone and whispering, "Speed dial one."

Kim dials the number and  waits for a voice on the other end of the line.

Dani joins Tara at the breakfast bar and offers her glass of ice cold freshly pressed orange juice, thinking, "I have helped soldiers with PTSD, but never kids so young."

Tara accepts the glass and awkwardly says, "Thank you."

"No worries." Dani says sitting down, "How is it going?"

Tara shrugs and stares athe orange juice, as if looking for meaning, "What happens now?" She asks almost dreamily.

"We go home." Dani says, softly but firmly.

"I don't have a home any more." Tara says, in an exhausted tone.

"You are family. We will look after you." Dani assures her.

Dani watches the emotion drain from Tara's face before she looks up at her, with sorrowful eyes, "Hel said that to me too."

Dani's eyes go wide for a split second with shock, "You met Hel."

Tara nods, unable to make eye contact, "She was fighting Lupita and losing, when they crossed our path. Lupita confirmed she was our mother and that Kim's dad was out biological father. Lupita tried to activate subliminal commands in Anya and I. I was able to break my commands and help Anya break hers." Her gaze trails off and she stares into the distance as she continues, "Then it all kicked off and Anya had to kill Lupita. She beats herself up about it, but there was no other way. Hel joined us and promised that you would look after me and then we were ambushed and he killed her."

Dani moves to the young woman's side and cannot help but put her arm around her, "Who killed her."

Tara proceeds, as if she didn't hear Dani, "Anya watched him execute her. Pilar. The Ensign of the T.H.I.S. unit. He killed her and claimed her soul, just like all of our sisters."

Dani frowns thinking, "What the hell is she on about?"

"He claims the souls of those he kills and if he is about to die, can release a soul he has claimed, to avoid dying." Tara explains, "Ali hit him in the throat and crushed his windpipe with his adam's apple, he just released a soul and then shoves a pen into his lower neck like it was nothing.", she says, disconnected from her own words.

Dani feels a part of herself melt, in the face of the young womans's inner turmoil and hugs her, gently stroking her hair. "It's ok. You are safe now."

"I know. Kim is here to protect me." Tara mumbles.

Anya stares at the phone and chews her lip."I don't know what I thought would happen when we met Dani, but I didn't expect this." She thinks, using the speed dial.

The phone is answered on the third ring, but remains silent, "Hello?" She says nervously, "Dani gave me a phone and asked me to call this number."

She hears the sound of a vehicle braking sharply and a car door opening, before she hears the words, she has been longing to hear, "Anya? My God it is so good to hear your voice. I love you so much."

"Daddy."She says, her lip quivering as tears prick the corners of her eyes.

"I am here darling." Moses says, fighting his own wave of emotions. "We are on our way to you. We will be there soon."

"Daddy they killed mom." She wails, "They made me watch."

Black's heart lurches in his chest, "I am so sorry baby. I...."

Anya cuts him off, with a heartbroken tone, "Where were you? Why didn't you come?"

"I thought you were dead, I went out with the search teams but all we managed to find was the car." Black says, confronted with his failings.

"You stopped looking? You mean you gave up on us?" Anya says, bursting into fresh tears.

"There was no trace. There was no where left to look." Moses pleads, "I am sorry."

"Every day I waited for you to come. Waited for you to rescue me and tell me everything is going to be ok." Anya says, sniffing back tears and taking a deep breath, "Where were you? When did you give up looking?"

Moses rubs his forehead and then squeezes the bridge of his nose, "We searched for a month. Then I had to return to duty."

"Your duty? You were a husband and father, your duty was to us. If you had been there we wouldn't have been taken." Anya says, feeling her cheeks burn with anger, "It was always job first and us second."

"No Anya, it wasn't like that." Moses pleads, "Things will be different."

"It wasn't like that? I have had a lot of time to think about it locked in a tiny cell alone for months, if it wasn't like that, tell me how it was." Anya says, almost scarlet with rage.

Moses sits at the side of the road and knows that a lie would hurt his daughter less than the truth, but that she deserved to know, he takes a long slow breath and begins "About a year after you were born, mom got sick. She had terrible stomach pains and well, she was in a bad way." He pauses, struggling to say what need to be said and wishing there was another way. "We went to the doctors and we found out she had cancer."

Anya feels her blood turn to ice, "Mom had cancer?"

"When you were young, yes. There were a lot of tests and the chemo was brutal, but after a year, she got the all clear. By that point the medical bills were mounting up and whilst I drew good pay from the DEA, we were struggling. We had a lot of tough conversations and a few arguements about it. I had a chance to take part in an operation in South America, and the hazard pay for deployment was hard to ignore. We decided that I should take it to make a dent in the bills." He exhales slowly, feeling somewhat lighter.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Anya says, hearing the pain in her fathers voice.

"We were going to tell you when you were a little bit older. We were never going to keep it from you." Moses says, gently.

Anya sits numb trying to work out what she is feeling, "Why did you stay away?"

"I would keep about a hundred a month and send the rest back. Between paying towards the bills, putting food on the table and keeping the lights on, we only managed to pay off about ten grand. So I kept doing the assignments, paying the medical costs off. The chemo cured your mom but took it's toll leaving it hard for her to work, so it was all on me. We made the final payment last year. The plan was to do another year, to give you a college fund and then I work more from home." 

Anya sits against a wall leaning her head back against the stone. "Everything we have done this past few days, dad volunteered to do for years, for mum and I. I had no idea." She thinks. "I didn't know. Up till now I thought, you put your job first. I am so sorry, I misjudged you." She confesses.

"You and Kelly were always my priority. I lived for the times I could come home and see you. I wished I could have been there to see you grow up. I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner." Moses admits, "I hope you can forgive me."

"I had no idea, how much you did for us." Anya weakly says, her voice trailing off.

"I couldn't have done it without you." Moses says, in a warm, gentle voice.

"What did I do?" Anya asks, with a confused frown.

"Every time I came home, you gave me a million reasons to keep doing it. I only ever wanted what was best for you. When I came home I was reminded why." Moses says, welling up with tears, "I am so proud of you." 

"I love you Daddy." Anya says, feeling lighter.

Ali dials the number and waits, "Go for Mitchum." The voice on the line says, with a calm professional tone, she had never heard before.

"Dad? It's Ali. I am ok." She says, feeling the tension drain from her body, at the sound of his voice.

"Oh Ali. Are you alright?" Alex asks, daring to hope once more.

"I am a bit banged up, but nothing worse that the trial matches for team selection." She tries to play down, how badly she is hurt, but feels ever bruise and fractured bone, "How are you? How is mum?" She asks, stoppong before asking after her brother on reflex.

Alex smiles to himself, thinking, "Despite everything, her first instinct is to see we are ok." He signals to Carl and gets out of the SUV, settling by a tree a little way from Moses. "We're ok, Alicat. I am in Spain and will be with you soon."

Ali frowns, "Daaaad, I don't like that name." She says, in mock exasperation, "Wait you are in Spain. Is mum with you?"

"No, she is with Dean. He was hurt pretty badly." Alex says, hoping this doesn't upset his daughter.

Ali feels her pulse racing and she starts to tremble, with nerves. "Dean's alive?"

Alex closes his eyes, realising that the last time she saw Dean, he was in a pool of blood and not moving, "Yes darlin'. He caught some shrapnel and lost a lot of blood, but he will recover."

"When can I see him?" She asks, feeling a fresh wave of hope.

"Once we get back to the UK, first stop will be the clinic." Alex assures her.

"Dad? Can I ask you something?" Ali asks, biting her lip.

"You can ask me anything." Alex says, still overjoyed to hear her voice.

"Do you still love me?" Ali asks, with all the seriousness she can muster.

"Of course, love. Why would you think otherwise?" Alex asks, concerned.

"Because I am not your daughter." Ali asks, and holds her breath dreading his answer.

Alex closes his eyes and feels his answer in his heart, before he voices it, "I might not be your father, but I will always be your dad and you will always be my little girl." Ali begins to cry, as he continues, "And all the forces of heaven, hell and earth, will never change that. Your mum will always be your mum and Dean will always be your brother. I am so proud to have been a part of your life and see you grow into the talented and wonderful young woman you have become."

Ali feels her doubts, fears and pain carried out of her soul on a river of tears. She feels arms around her and for a moment turns to embrace Tara. "Can I call you back in a minute?" She whispers into the phone.

"Yes, love. I will give mum a quick call to let her know you are ok. Call when you are ready." Alex says, filled with warmth, as the call ends.

Ali tightly hugs Tara and lets everything go.

"Kim? Is that you sweetie?" Sasha asks, hoarsely.

"Sasha?" Kim asks, desperate to hear her step mothers voice.

"Kim! I have been watching the news. I have been so worried about you sweetie." Sasha says, filled with relief.

"I'm ok, Sasha." Kim says "I'm sorry."

"Whatever for sweetie." Sasha asks, concerned.

"Not returning the gun after the pool." Kim says, trying not to let go of her emotions, "If I had, you and dad wouldn't have fought and he would still be alive."

Sasha's eyes widen and she tries to sit up in bed, but her body betrays her with a slice of pain. "No darling." She says through gritted teeth, "That is not true."

"Sasha are you alright?" Kim asks, concerned.

Sasha lays back on the bed and exhales, "Yes darling, just a twinge." With all her will she focuses and speaks softly, "None of this is your fault. Never blame yourself for the action of others. The truth is that, when your father and I argued, I hit him." She admits, giving voice to her shame.

"He forgave you for that and we were going to come back in the morning." Kim says, knowing Sasha needed to hear this, "We got to uncle Keiran's and dad stayed up late with him talking about it. They thought I couldn't hear but I could." Kim   Smiles at the memory, of hiding at the top of the stairs listening in, before her smile fades in light of the memory of what followed. "Dad said that he was going to bring me back in the morning and sit down with you and talk about everything. That is when the men came." She stops herself, before she lets everything pour out.

"Kim you don't have to be brave anymore. Dani is there for you. She will look after you and bring you home." Sasha says assuring her step daughter, "Everything is going to be ok."

"No." Kim says, centring herself, "We aren't done yet. There is something we have to do."

Sasha's eyes widen with fear, "Please sweetie. You don't have to fight any more. Please come home."

Kim looks at her sisters and doesn't need to use psi to know that they are brighter and ready, "I will be home soon, Sasha." She says, softly, pausing for a moment and trying not to cry, "I'm sorry I've never said thank you for being the world's best step mum. Love you Sasha."

"Kim, what's going on?" Sasha asks, fearing the silence on the line, "Kim? Kim?" She feels sick to her stomach, hearing the line go dead. She looks across the room at Nikita, with pleading eyes, feeling utterly lost.

Kim puts the phone into the pocket of her NAKI suit and nods to herself, knowing what she must do. She closes her eyes and lets the burble of her sisters conversations wash over her and feels at peace. "Sounds like Ali and Anya will be ok. Tara is the tough one though. If I don't make it back I really hope she gets looked after." She thinks, feeling the pove she has for her sisters, like a physical thing within her.

"Where are you off too?" Dani asks, spotting Kim heading for one of the rear doors.

"Just nipping to the loo. Won't be a sec." Kim calls back, pushing through the door with a wave over her shoulder.

She quickly walks through the warehouse scooping up a roll of electrical tape and large roll of bubble wrap on the way. She pauses by the door and flips down her face visor, then takes the motorcycle keys out of her pocket that she took, when Dani hugged her. She pushes the door hard and steps out, embracing her future.

slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

That was a big chapter (not your first, I know).

> "He claims the souls of those he kills and if he is about to die, can release a soul he has claimed, to avoid dying."

That is one way of staying alive...

Here's a question for you... when you started writing this story (and devastation), did you picture it as what it is becoming? The number of chapters, the twists and turns, this Epic story could be published on Amazon Kindle. ;) I have read real books that are a lot worse than this story.

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

slackywacky wrote: 2 years ago ... ;) I have read real books that are a lot worse than this story.
Hear, hear. [mention]slackywacky[/mention] has it right.

The phone calls the girls made were especially nice. You have me waiting for more.
Spy Task Force Completed
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

slackywacky wrote: 2 years ago That was a big chapter (not your first, I know).

> "He claims the souls of those he kills and if he is about to die, can release a soul he has claimed, to avoid dying."

That is one way of staying alive...

Here's a question for you... when you started writing this story (and devastation), did you picture it as what it is becoming? The number of chapters, the twists and turns, this Epic story could be published on Amazon Kindle. ;) I have read real books that are a lot worse than this story.
I played with this chapter a lot, but it didn't seem right to split it into two.

When I started I had an idea of where the story would go for the first arc and have allowed some ideas planted early on to grow and still have unexplored elements going back to deception which could be spun into new plots.

I have considered publishing at some point and am still toying with the idea. To be fair, I could say the same of your writing.
GreyLord wrote: 2 years ago
slackywacky wrote: 2 years ago ... ;) I have read real books that are a lot worse than this story.
Hear, hear. [mention]slackywacky[/mention] has it right.

The phone calls the girls made were especially nice. You have me waiting for more.
Thank you for your kind words, I wanted each conversation to have its own tone and I am pleased with how they turned out.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

"Where is she?" Dani asks, frantically searching the warehouse for Kim, as she had been since a panicked phone call from Sasha.

Tara stares at the floor, her eyes filled with disbelief,  "I can't believe, she went without us."

Anya hugs her sister and softly whispers, "She is protecting us. I think she is going after Pilar."

"Come in Boudicca, please! Over." Dani calls over her headset, watching Kim's sisters for a reaction.

"She has taken her earpiece out. She says she is going radio silent." Tara reluctantly confirms, folding her arms and hugging herself.

"Are you in contact with her?" Dani asks, confused.

Tara nods subtly, "Yes, she psis she is sorry, but she has to end this."

"How are you in contact with her?" Dani asks, following up with, "I am not mad, I just need to speak to her."

"We can psi each other." Ali blurts out.

"What do you mean?" Dani asks, suspecting the answer. 

"Telepathy. But only with each other." Anya confirms, with a shrug.

"Can you ask her to put her earpiece in, so I can talk to her directly?" Dani asks, gently.

"Angel, this is Boudicca. Over." Kim says, startling Dani slightly. Using the skills she learned from Anya, she accelerates hard along the coast road towards Santiago de Compostela.

"Boudicca, come back, we will do this together. Over" Dani pleads.

"Negative angel, you will just try to stop me. In your book you say about standing for those who cannot stand for themselves. That is what I am doing." Kim says, powering the motorcycle around a sharp bend.

"That's a noble aim. But sometimes, you have to step aside to let someone else do what must be done." Dani says, dropping the formalities of radio comms.

"I have to save them." Kim says, firmly.

"You can't save everyone." Dani says, wishing she was having this conversation face to face, "There is no shame asking for help."

Kim grits her teeth, fighting her emotions, "I know I can't save everyone. But I can do this. Anya, Ali and Tara can have a life after this. Ali and Anya have family and if anything happens to me, I have told Tara to pretend she is me, please help her."

Dani sits on a chair in the break room and taps her lip with her left forefinger before speaking, "What is this all really about?"

Kim pulls the bike off of the main road, to roar along country lanes. "They have suffered enough and deserve a good life. I know I can trust you to make sure that they get it." She pauses for a moment thinking of her sisters, "Pilar was there at the deaths of our other siblings and auntie Hel. While he is alive, they are trapped within him. I have to free them."

"Matches what Tara said. Might even be true on some level." She thinks before gently saying, "What about the people on the bus?"

"I-I can do it."Kim says nervously.

"What is your plan?" Dani asks, hating pushing her like this, "What will you do about the men he has on the bus? What about the dead man switch for the hostages vests? I just want to understand what your plan is."

"Working on it." Kim says, chewing her lip.

"The dead man switch has a range of thirty metres, if he releases the trigger it will send a signal to the devices and they will detonate. Traffic cameras indicate that there are four of his men on the bus, all armed. There are twenty hostages on that bus." Dani takes a breath and firmly says, "Working on it, it not good enough. You need a plan and contingencies to deal with all players. Come back and we can come up with a solid plan."

In her minds eye she sees the bus, the hostages and Pilar. Flashing like lightning in her mind, different scenarios play out. Bushes and scrub whip past at speed, through the country lanes.

"Kim, talk to me sweetie." Dani pleads gently.

"Thank you for saving me so many times, until today I had no idea how tough it was." Kim says, letting the scenarios play out in her mind. "How do you do it?"

"You are worth fighting for." Dani says, touched, before realising that Kim is trying to change the subject, "I did what I could, because there was no one else. You don't have to. You can step back. You are not alone."

"I have to do this." Kim says, with weary determination.

"Why does it have to be you?" Dani asks, gently.

"I am the big sister, I have to be there for them." Kim says, trying not to cry.

"Doing right by them doesn't mean you have to do it yourself. You, Tara, Anya and Ali have saved so many people already. You deserve to rest." Dani says gently, unaware that her sisters are psi-ing Kim to say Dani is right.

Kim takes a deep breath to calm herself, "No I don't deserve to rest. I failed and I will never be able to make up for that."

Dani looks questioningly at Kim's sisters, but they all shrug, "How have you failed darling?"

"I couldn't save dad." Kim says, numb, "When the men came, there was nothing I could do. I tried to fight them but there were too many of them."

"Oh fuck, how did I not see this." Dani thinks, scrambling to find the right words. "Oh Kim, it is no your fault. No matter how strong a person is, sometimes you can do everything right, but the day still goes against you."

"I have a plan that will work. I will take the bus on the move." Kim says, seeing a scenario in her mind that makes her nod to herself. "Tell everyone I love them. Thank you for everything Dani, you are the best auntie ever. I'm signing off now and going radio silent. See you on the other side."

"Kim! No! Please! Come back." Dani pleads, getting only static in return.

Anya, Ali and Tara pause as Kim psis, "You have a chance at a good life. Cherish every moment. I go now, to finish alone, what we started together. Don't be afraid, if I don't make it, Dani will look after you and be there for you in a way, that I never could. I love you all."

"Kim let us help. You don't have to do this alone." Anya psis.

"Be with your father, he loves you more than you can ever imagine." Kim psis. "You are all more capable than you will ever know and I am sure, you will all take turns kicking my ass, when this is done."

"Can you feel her?" Dani voice tinged with the fear she feels for her niece. Quietly she thinks, "I will never forgive myself, if anything happens to her."

Anya closes her eyes and focuses reaching out to her sister, she points off to the west, "That way, moving really fast."

"Anya, get your boots on and grab Ali, we are going to find her." Dani orders.

"Can I drive?" Tara asks, hopeful.

"Not today, when this is done, maybe." Dani responds, leading the way to the SUV Fey brought.

"Cool. Shotgun!" Tara calls out, jumping in the front passenger seat, while Anya sits behind her and Ali sits behind Dani.

Dani guns the engine and heads for the gate, only to find Alvarez standing in their path with a hand raised to stop them, "I have an order here confirming that the girls, need to stay here until they have been debriefed." He sneers.

Dani rolls down her window and holds out her hand, with a click of her fingers, "Show me." She orders in a commanding tone.

Alvarez walks around to the drivers side and Dani puts her foot down and streaks through the space he just occipied, snatching the paper from his hand. The girls exchange a look of excited shock and giggle nervously and just stare at Dani.

Dani realises that the girls are staring at her and she guns the engine, peeling out of the command post at speed, "Yeah, I have no idea how that worked either." She shrugs, "Take the wins, where you find them."

She enters a code into the vehicles centre console and the satnav display changes showing a black screen with a dial pad, "Time to reach out."

"Dani, what you got babe?" Carl asks, answering the phone and turning the music down.

"Kim has taken my bike and is going solo for the bus." Dani says, zipping past cars on the coast road. "Where are you?"

"We are shadowing the bus along the coast road to Santiago, at a distance of two miles. Not looking to spook them." Carl says, with concern furrowing his brow. "Any idea of her plan?"

"She says that she will take it on the move. I have no idea how." Dani says, shaking her head.

Tara looks up nervously at Dani and speaks softly, from the front passenger seat, "Don't think like a soldier."

Dani takes her eyes off of the road for a moment to see the young woman's earnest expression. "She's right." Carl says, "She is a thirteen year old girl, with the equivalent of special forces training and levels of physical strength and co-ordination, far beyond that of normal humans. Don't think of what you would do, think of what she would do."

"Is there any way you can get closer to the bus without alarming them?" Dani asks, thoughtfully.

Carl drops a gear and accelerates past a German saloon, "Moving up now. I can read the pattern to see precisely where the bus is and should be able to get closer without entering their line of sight. Before you ask, I am trying to spot Kim in the pattern."

"Thanks Carl. We have to find her." Dani says, checking the vehicle navigation system.

"We will." Carl assures her. "I know how much you care about her and so does she."

"Thanks. The funny thing is with everything she has done, I do believe she might be able to do it." Dani says, confiding in Carl, "She is so capable and so sharp. She has been through hell and just kept on going. She is stronger than she knows."

"Well as they say in Kampot, 'Neang kampoung stab tamory bangobaaun srei robsa neang.' Eh?"

Dani nods, thoughtfully, "Yeah, that about covers it. How would you do it?" 

"Ride the bike up behind the bus, then shoot out the window closest to the guy with the trigger, put a lasso around his neck and slam on the brakes, dragging him out of the bus. Then shoot the other guys." Carl says off handedly, "You?"

"He will be carrying a weapon of some type. I would become corporeal behind him, snap his neck and take the trigger and whatever weapon he is carrying. Then I would shoot the other soldiers on board." Dani explains, with a shrug. "Wish Jim was available."

"Ha, yeah. He would just say a big nope to the trigger and their weapons and wreck them." Carl says with a chuckle. "What would Niki do?"

"Something horrific, involving showering all the hostages in the blood of the soldiers and Pilar." Dani says with a shrug. "Fey?"

"They would not know what hit them. Everyone would fall over with no idea why." Carl says. "I wonder though, what would Sasha do?"

"Smash through front windscreen, with a whip in her left hand she would snatch the controller from his hand and keep the button down then, dismantle the men there in quick order. Make no mistake, she is just as effective as any of us, if not more." Dani says with a shrug.

"Now that the girls have taken PCS like her they will be able to fight like her."  Carl says, with a smile in his voice.

"Nah, we have enhanced physical prowess but we can't bend the world like she does." Anya says, off handedly.

Dani's gaze snaps to her for a moment, "What do mean?"

Tara's voice catches in her throat, sensing the power of the woman driving the car, staring into her soul, "K-Kim showed us the video of you fighting the Chameleon. There was no bottle of hand sanitiser on the table. The shop never stocked spring stilts and there was no record of steel knuckles in the armoury. Kim reckons she decides on a course of action then the word bend to her will to let it happen." Tara explains, sheepishly.

"Hmmm. Interesting." Dani says, thoughtfully. 

"You did say you thought it was something like that." Carl chips in, "Shit, found her. She is very close to the bus and she is not moving. FYI, you are about three miles behind us."

"We are on our way, close the gap to the bus, get ready to step in. We will join you as soon as we arrive." Dani says, accelerating hard and making her passengers understand their own mortality.

"Moving in now." Carl says, turning off the music and driving like the devil is chasing him.  

The occupants of both vehicles, pray that they are not too late.

slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

wolfman wrote: 2 years ago "There is no shame asking for help."
It is interesting to see that saying and still see people go at it alone, believing they have to do it alone.
Very nice update, now let's see if they are too late or not...

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

No pressure, right [mention]wolfman[/mention]? Wrong, tremendous pressure. What we have here is a 13 year old super heroine running wild with the bit in her teeth. Way to go.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

This Saga get´s more dramatic with every new Chapter, the tension grews with every new Piece! Will Dani be able to safe Kim? Fantastic Chapter, [mention]wolfman[/mention] !
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

slackywacky wrote: 2 years ago
wolfman wrote: 2 years ago "There is no shame asking for help."
It is interesting to see that saying and still see people go at it alone, believing they have to do it alone.
Very nice update, now let's see if they are too late or not...
You are not wrong there. Dani has done her shared of running off on her own, so she can talk from the heart on this. She cares about Kim and wants to see her safe, but all Kim sees is her own failings and grief.
GreyLord wrote: 2 years ago No pressure, right [mention]wolfman[/mention]? Wrong, tremendous pressure. What we have here is a 13 year old super heroine running wild with the bit in her teeth. Way to go.
Thank you my friend, she doesn't have the powers of Dani and her brothers and sisters, but she has a lot of heart, will that be enough.
Caesar73 wrote: 2 years ago This Saga get´s more dramatic with every new Chapter, the tension grews with every new Piece! Will Dani be able to safe Kim? Fantastic Chapter, [mention]wolfman[/mention] !
I have tried to keep things fresh throughout this tale and will continue to try to do so. I have tried to make sure that the action is varied with each new encounter. I still have a few surprises up my sleeve

slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

wolfman wrote: 2 years ago I still have a few surprises up my sleeve
Even more than normal? Geez :lol:
Patiently waiting for the next chapter.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

wolfman wrote: 2 years ago I still have a few surprises up my sleeve
Even more than normal? Geez :lol:
Always.
wolfman wrote: 2 years ago Patiently waiting for the next chapter.
And your patience is rewarded

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Maria Richmond shifts uncomfortably in her seat thinking, "I need to have a word with my tour operator." 

The sun beats through the window of the bus mercilessly. Under normal circumstances, the light cotton sun dress would help keep her cool. However, the vest filled with explosives strapped tightly to her chest is limiting the cooling effect it may have had. The vest pinches under her left arm, she has lost count of the number of times she has tried to shift it, with her tightly bound arms. But that is not the worst part.

Even worse than the cloth stuffed in her mouth seemingly sucking moisture without limit, is the touch of the man holding the detonator to her and her fellow reporters vests.  "When he touches me, I feel weak. Like the life is being sucked out of me." She thinks, with a shudder.

"It was supposed to be a simple glamour piece. Cover the launch of a new luxury yacht. No risk at all. But in a heartbeat we were locked up forced to transmit their lies and watch the commander beat that poor child. Now this. I should have taken the job on dad's re-election campaign." She reflects.

She is pulled from her thoughts, by the bus slowing and the driver's shouting.

"What is it? Why are we slowing down?" Pilar rasps, concerned. His hand unconsciously goes to his throat, touching the tape holding the pen securing in his throat.

"Accident up ahead, could be trouble." The driver says, peering at the still running motorcycle, on its' side at the foot of a tree.

Pilar squints, spotting the foot of a boot and outline of what looks to be a black motorcyle suit, "Slow down a moment." He hisses, licking his lips.

Every instinct that the driver has says, run. Not from the bike, but from this man and his predatory eyes. He slows the bus further, making the soldiers nervous. They left with four soldiers, now there were three, with one man being shot for not doing as Pilar said quickly enough.

Pilar's nostrils flare as the boot twitches slightly, "Stop the bus." He commands, his breath whistling through the makeshift tracheotomy tube.

"Sir, are you sure we have time." One of the soldiers asks, concerned.

Pilar fixes him with an icy stare, "Make time." He says, rasping from his throat

The soldier gulps and nods, "Yes sir."

"Stop the bus. You and you." He says pointing to the soldier who challenged him, "Cover me. You." He points to the other man, "Cover the hostages, any of them try anything, shoot them and the person next to them in their knees."

The bus is awash with a cacophony of fear filled moans, as Pilar turns on his heel and exits the bus. 

The soldier on the bus takes position by the driver, staring down the bus with his weapon in hand. The other two soldiers trail behind Pilar keeping behind and off to the sides of him. 

Pilar locks the trigger in place and attaches the remote to his belt, as he approaches the body, half concealed under a bush. He smells the air, picking up the scent of blood, but frowns as something troubles him.

The two guards with him hang back carefully watching the bushes around the body nervously. They loosely hold their sidearms ready. The driver and the man left behind on the bus both watch through the open door, ignoring the whimpering and mewling of their hostages.

Pilar approaches the body, stepping around the still running motorcycle on its' side. He crouches over the body and examines it closely, then comprehension dawns on his and he spins around. "Back to the bus, the body is dressed like the Mrenh Kongveal."

Kim drops soundlessly from the tree behind him, snatching the remote from his belt and taping it up. The guards take aim trying to get a line of sight on the young woman and separate taking cover behind two nearby trees. 

Pilar turns and lunges at Kim howling, "You little bitch." He flails wildy, snatching at the remote, grabbing nothing but air, as she cartwheels left, shouting "Looks like the circus left, but the clowns statyed behind." With a flourish the remote vanishes and she backflips into the bushes to hide from the men with guns.

He draws his sidearm and pulls back the slide. Taking a moment, he hears her move through the undergrowth and strides forth to catch up to her. "Don't just stand there, help me find her, she has the remote." He rasps over his shoulder.

Kim winces as the brambles tear at her battered body. She stalks around to the left of Pilar and the other men, barefoot in the lycra shorts and sports bra she wore under her NAKI suit. 

In her right hand she holds a stilleto, using the trees and bushes as cover. She pulls her arm back and whips it forward in a precise arc, bursting the buses right front tyre with a bang. With a flourish the tranq gun is in her hand and she is on the hunt.

The two soldiers and Pilar race back towards the bus "They are behind us." Pilar hisses loudly, over the sound of them crashing through the trees. The soldiers burst through the undergrowth ahead of Pilar and spread out, searching for signs of their attackers.

"This is it." Kim thinks, taking careful aim and squeezing the trigger, sending a dart into the neck of the guard on the bus.

The sound of the shot, whilst not loud, is enough to draw the attention of the others. Bullets ping and slam around her, providing a soundtrack to her sprint from cover. She shoots wildly as she runs, missing with four out of five shots, but still managing to drop one of the soldiers. Pilar and the last guard continue pouring hot lead in her direction, unable to draw a bead on the fast moving young woman.

"Ali would be proud."' She thinks, ducking, diving and weaving, desperately avoiding the bullets flying around her. She squeezes off two shots towards the open bus door, tagging the driver. "Keep it together, you've got this." 

She somersaults forward, leaping over a bush and fires upside down in mid air, to take the last soldier. Without celebration, she rolls on the landing and begins to run again. Pilar takes careful aim and fires twice. Sending one bullet wide.

Kim feels a white hot lance of pain in her left calf and loses her footing and her weapon. She falls forward at full speed, landing on her forearms to absorb some of the impact. She scrambles trying to get to her feet, but the pain stops her from putting her weight on her left leg.

The hostages gasp, almost unable to watch as the man slowly walks towards her. She flops onto her front and tries to crawl away from him. He stands over her and stamps down on her injured leg, drawing a mournful howl from the young woman. He raises the pistol with a triumphant grin and aims at the back of her head. "Good effort kid. But not good enough."

With almost reverential desire, he squeezes the trigger, rewarded not with a bang, but with a click. Kim flips over and sweeps his legs from under him, then slams her fist down hard, on his ankle. "I counted your shots and knew I couldn't run after you, so I brought you to me."

Biting down the pain of his shattered ankle, he launches himself at her, unleashing a barrage of blows. She scrambles to defend herself, as whilst he lacks finesse, he more than makes up for it with ferocity. Kim keeps her arms up, pretecting her face and sweep her arms to deflect his blows, barely managing to hold her own, taking a few hard hits to her face and body in spite of her best efforts.

Kim and Pilar lay on their sides facing each other. Pilar hammers his fist down at Kim, forcing her to roll away out of reach. Pilar drags himself after her, "You can't escape me. I took all of your sisters and the red head. I even took the American girls mother and the orphan's parents." he rasps, "I will take you and then I will find your remaining sisters and everyone close to you."

"No." Kim screams, lunging at him and shoving him onto his back and straddling him. She rains down blows upon him, "No more."

Kim pummels Pilar's face and chest with blows, unnerved as all he does is grin up at her. Concerned at the young womans strength, Pilar changes his strategy and wraps his hands around her waist and bodily lifts her, before slamming her onto her back. Kim gasps for air, winded, unable to stop him from pinning her to the ground by her throat. "You stupid child." He rasps, "Did you really think, you would be able to stop me?" 

For a moment she panics, striking his arms over and over, before the book reminds her, "You can't move the arm, move the fingers."

She tries to wrap her fingers around his thumbs first and then his fingers but the grip is too tight, where he bears down on her. "This is not going to work." She realises, barely realising he has drawn a knife with his right hand and pinning her down by her throat with his left.

Her face becomes a mask of pain, as he slides the blade into her stomach just under her ribs, with a rasp of, "You wanted to be a soldier. Today you have lived like one and now, you will die like one." He rasps, easing the blade into her once more, "Live by the sword, die by the sword, soldier girl."

Kim knows, she has one chance, feeling her life ebbing away. "I might only be a kid, but even I know that the pen is mightier than the sword, you prick." She manages to say, reaching up with lightning speed. She wrenches the pen casing from his throat and thrusts it, with all her might, into his heart.

His lips form a perfect circle of silent agony, he stares down at his chest, seeing the steel pen that saved his life, now taking it. Kim pushes him off of her with her last strength, rolling him onto his back. Wearily she lays back down, clutching the wound in her stomach. The blood pumping directly from his heart blasts from his body in a crimson fountain, showering them both in his ichor.

The jet of blood, blasts unnaturally skyward, doubling in intensity. He dies from blood loss, then returns to life as a soul is released, only for him to die from blood loss a second later. Howling cries of agony in voices not his own fill the air, as souls rip free from his body, in an every increasing torrent. 

A maelstrom of blood and dust swirls violently around Kim and Pilar, before the eyes of the reporters. They watch helplessly as the storm rages, just outside the bus.

When the air clears, Pilar's body has been stripped to the bone and Kim lays blood soaked and still. "They are all safe now, Pilar is dead and the souls he held are free. Ali and Anya have their families and Tara will be looked after. Everyone is going to be ok, my work is done. I can rest now." Kim thinks, letting herself slip into the darkness.

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

You continue your story with great power, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. Great work.
Spy Task Force Completed
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

Now that was a bloody mess (literally). Kim did good, she deserves a rest.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

[mention]slackywacky[/mention] [mention]GreyLord[/mention]

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. I won't lie that was tough to write. I am pleased with the way it went.

Thank you for your patronage.

Bandit666
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Bandit666 »

Well what is there to say other than yet again such a wonderful delightful sets of updates since last I commented. And [mention]GreyLord[/mention] couldn’t have said it better. Your writing truly is powerful. But I must add, enjoyable, delightful, intriguing and gripping as well.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Thank [mention]Bandit666[/mention] glad you are still on board. I have tried to maintain the suspense and keep it fresh. Next update soon to gollow.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

The SUV's skid to a halt in a cloud of dust and gravel. Alex and Moses sprint towards the bus like knights in shining black armour. Moses drags the unconscious guard off of the bus and then throws out the driver before pouncing on them and restraining all of the unconscious guards.

Alex steps aboard the bus and pulls the microphone on the vehicles PA system, "Ladies and gentlemen, we ask that you remain calm. Indications are that the threat has passed. Shortly my colleagues and I will escort you off of the bus and provide water. However, you will remain restrained until your identities have been confirmed and the local authorities are here to ensure your safe passage and administer medical aid."

One of the reporters, a man in his late forties, slips their arms out of their bonds and makes a break for freedom, "Please I need to get out of here." He screams. He tries to slip past Alex, who hooks an arm around his chest and pins the man against his chest.

"Easy fella, everyone is going home. Be a good chap and wait for your turn. If you want to help, please remove the gags from everyones mouths and help us give them water. Be advised, any transgressions, will be dealt with in the harshest possible terms, no matter who you are." Alex says calmly and professionally. "Do you understand?"

The man gulps, feeling the quiet power of the large armoured man before him, "Yes sir."

Alex places an armoured hand on his shoulder gently, then nods, "Good man. What's your name?"

"Charlie." The man says breathlessly.

"Nice to meet you Charlie. I am Alex. Can you please remove the gags from the remaining people on this bus?" Alex says, softly, "Remember, I am watching."

The man nods, working his way through the bus and removing the gags from the mouths of his fellow former hostages. 

Moses finishes restraining the unconscious guards and joins Alex on the bus, with a duffel bag full of water bottles, which he dumps on the drivers seat.

"KIM!" Ali, Anya and Tara scream in their minds.

They sprint with inhuman speed to Kim's and kneel at her side, heedless of the blood, in full gear apart from their helmets. In vain they try to psi her, feeling an emptiness in response. Anya reaches down and presses two fingers to her blood soaked sisters neck 

"I will try to clear awaty some of the blood. Anya she has been stabbed, can you get something to stem the bleeding?" She psis. "Ali can you keep and eye on her pulse and breathing."

Tara pulls a water bottle and towel from her webbing and begins wiping the blood from her sisters stomach.

Anya searches through her webbing frantically trying to find medical supplies. She tries not to cry, knowing that however hard she searches she will not find any. But then her eyes widen as her hand falls on a pouch full of items she took from Salvaje's place.

"Kim made sure we had sanitary products." She thinks, pulling out two tampons and a pack of sanitary towels. She uses one sanitary towel to clean around the wound and then slips the two tampons into the knife would, using another sanitary towel to apply pressure.

Ali kneels by Kim's head, using two gentle fingers to monitor her pulse and bending to feel her breath against her cheek.

Carl catches Dani's arm, as they reach Kim, "Steady on. Look at them, they are perfectly in sync. Tara appears to be monitoring Kim's pulse. Anya has plugged the wounds and is applying pressure as Ali cleans her up. They are almost a perfect unit."

"True." Dani nods, "Can you help with the bus? I will help the girls."

"On it. Feels so weird to have so much going on around us and us not have to get our hands dirty." Carl says, turning to head for the bus. "I will call for an ambulance."

"You aren't wrong there. This feels so weird." Dani says, snatching a medical pack from her webbing and crouching by Tara and flipping up her visor.

Tara looks up fearfully, "There is so much blood." She whispers.

Dani winks at her and lightly says, "Don't worry, most of it isn't hers. What say, we start patching her up." 

Tara, Anya and Ali look at Dani with terror in their eyes. Dani pulls a bottle of sanitiser and a small but razor sharp dagger from her webbing. She cleans the blade and her hands, while explaining, "We will take a look at the knife wounds and see what we can do to stem the bleeding. Do you have a small multitool with pliers Tara?"

Tara nods pulling a pair of small keychain multitools. Dani smiles, "Very good. Please clean them and be ready. There may be a severed blood vessel. I'll expose it and then need you to pinch it closed, so I can seal it with a few stitches." She keeps her voice light and calm, despite her heart thumping in her chest. "Anya, you are doing great, when I tell you, I want you to expose the wound closest to me." She passes her a syringe, "Then you need to draw off and discard any blood that pools there so I can see."

She turns to Ali, "Great work. In the medical pack there is a small black device that opens in the middle, can you put that onto Kim's finger and turn it on. It will monitor her, pulse and oxygen saturation levels. Then go to the boot of our car and bring the oxygen bottle and mask from the compartment on the left hand side."

Ali nods and fits the SATS monitor and sprints to the SUV, psi-ing, "I can see why Dani is Kim's hero, she is so together."

Dani is too busy making her first incisions to notice Any and Tara subtly nodding. "How do you know how to do this?" Tara asks, watching every move closely.

"Just something I have picked up. I am no surgeon but, have learned a thing or two." Dani says concentrating, "Suction please."

Anya uses the syringe draining the blood and Dani nods, "Tara, pliers, here and here." She says pointing with the tip of her blade.

Ali fits the mask to the tube for the oxygen and opens the valve, in the same way Tara showed them how to prep for a SCUBA dive in their dreams last night.

She checks the flow of gas and then places the mask over Kim's mouth and nose. Then she uses a towel to dab Dani's forehead.

Meanwhile the reporters awaiting release on the bus watch the drama unfold.

"I wish Sasha or Niki were here. They are better at this than me." Dani confesses, speaking out of nerves rather than neccesity.

"Kim hasn't really said anything out Niki. What is she like?" Anya asks, trying to take her mind off of the scene in front of her.

"She is pretty awesome. Despite what she says, she is the pretty one out of me and her." Dani says, suturing a blood vessel, "She is a pussy cat at heart, but unstoppable when anyone she cares about is threatened."

"Kinda like you, from what Kim says." Tara chips in.

Dani chuckles, "Nah, I am a soldier at heart, she is a force of nature.", whilst thinking, "Good. Take their mind off of what we are doing here."

"How do you mean?" Ali asks, curious.

"Ok, let me think." Dani says, giving the signal for more suction, "There was this one operation she was on. Extraction of an at risk individual. So they had got the guy and were on the chopper. Then the people they had just left, began opening fire on them and they hit them quite bad. The chopper began losing fuel and they had to lose weight." Dani continues as she begins to stitch again, "So she flicks her last cigarette out of the door, then grabs a parachute, pulls the machine gun off of its mount and dives out. On the way down she opens up with the machine gun, taking out guys left and right. Once she lands she uses it like a club until it breaks. Then Niki draws her sidearm and begins popping guys left and right, before she runs out of bullets. Finally pulls out a machete and starts laying into fools left and right until it get stuck in one of them. The remaining fellas run when she starts beating the hell out of them with her bare hands."

The girls exchange glances with a mix of admiration, awe and fear, saying "Whoa." Under their breath.

"The moral of this story is, don't mess with Niki, when she has run out of cigarettes." Dani says, suppressing a smile.

"Dani! That is not funny." Tara says, trying not to smile.

"Yeah, it is." Dani says with a wink, "Be a love and uncover the other knife wound."

Sasha lays on her back turning to her son and praying for her step daughter. "That poor girl has been through so much. I just want her home and safe again."

Nikita places a gentle hand on her shoulder, before she takes a seat on the edge of the bed, "Dani will bring her home."

"I know she will. I just hope she will be ok." Sasha turns to her sister with a faraway look in her eyes, "She has faced so much and I am afraid that she will not be the same girl."

"She will always have a good heart. She has faced challenges that would break most people in the last few days." Nikita says, sadly,  "She is going to need you more than ever."

Sasha places her hand over Nikita's and squeezes gently, "I need her too. We have both lost Kurt, I see him in her. His kindness and compassion." She closes her eyes but cannot stop the flow off tears, when she opens them again she turns to look at her son, "I can't believe he is gone, he should be here."

Nikita feels crushed inside, "I can cure any physical ailment, but I can't cure a heart, broken with grief." She thinks, struggling to find the right words, to ease her sister's pain. "He is here with us, as long as we think of him. He lives through his children."

"Not the same as him actually being here. It is just not fair." Sasha says, sadly. 

"No it ain't." Nikita says, softly. "Look, it might be a dumb idea, but maybe when Kim gets back, you two should have some time, remembering Kurt. Talk about your memories of him. Do something just the two of you to celebrate his life. I can look after this little one." She gazes down at Sasha's son and smiles.

"That sounds like a lovely idea." Sasha says, wistfully "Why do you think he didn't say anything about his other daughters?"

"No idea. Maybe he wanted to protect them by keeping them off of your radar. Maybe he wanted to protect you from their mother, sounds like she was a real piece of work." Nikita says, chewing her lip. "He might have been worried you would go after her. She would have killed Hel, if not for the girls."

"I'm sorry about Hel, I wish I had know her." Sasha asks, settling back on the bed. 

"You would have liked her. She had a kind heart and would always listen." Nikita says, regretfully, "Not that I knew her that well to be fair." 

"Kim will probably blame herself for Hel's death. Poor little bugger." Sasha says sadly.

To be fair, I feel bad for Anya." Nikita confesses.

"Why?" Sasha asks, confused.

"She lost her mother, then shot Lupita to save Tara, then watched Hel get killed. She has had it rough." Nikita says, thoughtfully.

"They have all faced their demons in their own way. The one I worry about is Tara. From the file Jim sent, her parents were killed in front of her and she was locked in solitary for six months, until they took her to be killed with the others." Sasha explains, with a faraway look in her eyes.

"That would have killed me." Nikita says, almost without thinking.

"You were held for that long and you were ok." Sasha says, confused.

"She is a lot younger than I was and at least when they were cutting me up, so I had some kind of human contact." Nikita says, with a hint of admiration, "She has a strength to her."

Sasha looks down at her son and then looks Nikita in the eyes, "I've missed you. You know? Since you went to Cambodia, it seems like we haven't had much time together."

Nikita smiles gently, "I have missed you too." She smiles down at Sasha's son and feels a pang of regret, "I am thinking once Kim is back, I might take some time off. Actually having a break."

"You haven't had a proper break since Dani went into the river in Africa. You deserve it. What will you do with yourself?" Sasha asks, gently.

Nikita pauses for a moment and then looks Sasha in the eye, "I am thinking of having some quality time with family."

"Why don't you take a proper break?" Sasha says, in a gentle tone.

"Work and life has taken me away from those who matter, too many times. Seeing your little one makes me worried about how much I will miss, if I keep working." Nikita says, sadly. "I don't know if I can do this anymore."

"You need to be true to yourself. Whatever happens, I will always be here for you." Sasha says, reaching across to hold her sister's hand. "You deserve to be happy."

Nikita opens her mouth to speak, but is interrupted by the strains of The Cranberries song Zombie. Sasha holds up and finger and mouths, "Hold that thought." Before she answers her phone, "Dani? How is it going?" She asks with a smile. As Dani speaks, Sasha closes her eyes and holds back tears of relief.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Five hours later

Dani finishes her fifth cigarette in a row and reluctantly heads towards the door of the clinic. "No sense putting it off any longer." She says to herself.

She dabs away a bead of sweat and pushes away from the tree she has been leaning on. Her light cotton shirt and slacks breath well, but do little to stop the heat of the day, enveloping her.

She pushes through the glass and steel double doors, leaving the humidity of the May afternoon behind and enters the cool, air conditioned lobby of the Nirvana clinic. Her legs feel like lead as she walks through the sterile corridors past efficient and professional nurses going about their daily rounds.

With a sense of dread, she stands at the threshold of the room she fears the most and knocks twice before entering.

"Come in?" A woman's voice says, through the door.

Dani pushes through the door to see Sasha smiling up at her, "Hey." She says, feeling a pit open in her stomach.

"Welcome back. It's good to see you." Sasha says warmly.

"Stop it." Dani says, feeling weary, "You don't have to pretend."

Sasha's face becomes a mask of confusion, "Whatever do you mean?"

"I had Kim safe and sound and she slipped away from me." Dani says, staring at the unconscious form of Sasha's step daughter, in the bed next to her sister's, "I failed her and you."

"Oh shut up you tart. She is home now. Safe and sound. That is all that matters." Sasha says, pushing a button on her bed to raise her to a seating position.

"I'm sorry." Dani says, unable to make eye contact.

"You went where Niki and I could not and you brought her home. Don't be a dumbass. There is nothing to be sorry for."' Sasha says, with a smile.

"No, it was my call to wait for Jim to be rested before we went. If we had gone when we knew roughly where she was, we could have prevented so much suffering for those girls." Dani says, filled with self loathing.

"Damn it Dani, you do this every time. You beat yourself up over a decision that you made, blame yourself for something that isn't your fault and never cut yourself any slack." Sasha says, with an exasperated shake of her head, "Shit happens in the world that isn't your fault. They are home and that is all that matters." She continues looking at the bed beside hers with Kim's unconscious form nestled between the sheets.

Dani shudders from the force of Sasha's words and shrinks back slightly, as she continues, "You make the best of every situation that you are in. Whatever happens, you make it right." She turns to Nikita, "Same goes for you too. You can face anything and come out on top. Despite what you might think of yourself, since the moment I first met you, you have been saving lives."

With obvious discomfort, she places a hand on each of their shoulders, "I trust you with everything I hold dear. If anything ever happens to me, i need you to look after my kids."

Dani's face becomes a mask of shock, "Nothing is going to happen to you."

Sasha looks deep into her sisters eyes, "Promise me, you will loo after them."

"I promise." Dani says, solemnly.

Nikita nods, when Sasha turns to her and echoes, "I promise."

"Thank you both. I love you guys." Sasha says, feeling relieved.

They all turn as Kim mumbles, weakly. Nikita nudges Dani and nods towards the door. "Let's give them a bit of space."

"Thank you both. I think Kim and I need to talk." Sasha says, gently.

"Love you, babe." Dani says, giving her a hug.

Kim sighs to herself, "Just a few more minutes." She enjoys the soft feeling of the cool, crisp of the sheets against her skin. "Hmmm?" She sighs, questioningly. "What is up with my arm?" She wonders.

She reaches across herself weakly with her right hand to touch the canula and as she twists, her body explodes in pain. She flops back on the bed, staring at the ceiling and panting heavily, until the pain subsides. She is dimly aware of someone saying her name and turns her head towards the source.

Sasha looks down at her step daughter, on some level feeling the pain she is experiencing. "Kim." She says softly, taking her right hand and squeezing gently.

"Sasha?" Kim asks, not daring to believe it is true.

"Hello sweetie, welcome back." Sasha says gently

"Am I really home?" Kim asks, then tries to sit up, "Where are the others, are they ok?"

Sasha places a gentle hand on her shoulder, to stop her from sitting up and damaging her stitches, "They are fine.  They are in other rooms on this floor, being looked after. Everyone is safe. Thanks to you."

Sasha lays back on the bed and relaxes, for a moment she closes her eyes and can feel her sisters nearby. "Hi everyone." She psis, sheepishly. "Sorry I went off alone."

Tara, Ali and Anya bombard her with images of cheering, celebrations and feelings of relief and joy. 

Sasha watches perplexed as different emotions play across her step daughters face until she opens her eyes again.

Kim smiles up at her step mother, feeling safe for the first time in days and she realises that her ordeal is over. All of the pain, fear and hurt she has held back hits her all at once and she let's it go.

Sasha winces in pain as moves to her step daughters bed and holds her as tight as she can, "Let is all out darling. There is nothing to fear any more. You are safe." She assures the young woman.

Sasha feels some of the stitches in her stomach begin to tear as she holds Kim, but bites down on the pain that  is sure to follow. Time flows like molasses, as the young woman purges her heart,  to rest in her step mothers arms. Hoarse from tears, she whispers, mournfully, "He's gone."

Until now Sasha had been able to maintain her composure, but she too succumbs to the weight of the last few days. 

Kim sniffs back tears and wipes her eyes, "I'm sorry." She whispers, easing back out of her step mothers embrace.

Sasha looks into Kim's eyes and seesher husbands strength reflected back at her, "For what?"

"For giving you a reason to worry." Kim says, earnestly.

"Don't be silly. You are family, I will always worry about you." She says wincing from the pain, in her stomach.

Kim feels a cloying terror in her soul as her eyes switch from the pain on her step mothers face to the blood on her hospital gown. "No. No. No. No. No. No. No." She says shaking her head, "Is the baby alright?"

Sasha smiles, weakly and nods to Kims right. Kim turns slowly. Seeing the perfect little boy and his big blue eyes staring up at her. 

The air is filled with whoops of joy and celebration from the rooms around them occupied by her sisters, as the love and joy she feels is too much for her to contain.

"What is his name?" Kim asks, awestruck.

"He doesn't have one yet, darling."' Sasha says, with a smile, "I thought it right to wait until you were back so we could choose his name together."

Tara lays back in the bed of her hospital room and feels the warmth from her sisters room and sighs to herself. "They all seem so happy, Anya has her father back, Ali's brother is not dead and she is thinking of a life after this is all done, Kim is overjoyed being home and getting to grips with her new baby brother."

"Nnnng." She grunts, when her ribs grate against each other slightly, as she tries to sit up. She lays herself back down gently and stares at the ceiling, "I am glad everyone is happy. I just wish there was someone here for me too."

As she stares at the ceiling, it almost feels as if the walls closing in on her and the ceiling is pressing down on her. Her breathing quickens and her pulse starts to race, "i am in solitary again." She thinks, sitting bolt upright in bed. No matter how hard or fast she breathes, she cannot help but feel that there is no air.

"I have to get out of here." She thinks, ignoring the pain in her ribs and focusing on getting fresh air. With a whimper of pain, she slips her arms into the thin dressing gown and staggers slowly towards the door.

Tara braces herself against the wall. With a grunt of pain she pulls open the door to her room and stands panting,trying to catch her breath. 

The nurse looks up from the patient records on her tablet and fixes Tara with a stare, only dimly aware of footsteps approaching from the opposite direction. "You shouldn't be up and about, get back in bed." The nurse barks, rising from her seat.

"Please, I can't breath in here, I need some air. I have to get out." Tara pleads.

"With your injuries, you must stay in bed." The nurse says, harshly. "I am off shift in ten minutes, I will tell my relief to attend to you. But for now, get back in bed."

Tara's lip quivers and she slowly turns, trying not to let the tears show. When she straightens up, a lance of pain from her ribs, overwhelms her and she sinks to her knees.

The nurse sighs exasperated, "Sorry, health and safety. I cannot help you up on my own."

"Get up and help her." A voice barks from behind the nurse.

"I said that I can't due to health and safety." The nurse says, without turning.

"Funny way to resign, however, I accept your resignation. Clear your locker, we will pay you one months notice. Don't come back." The voice says, trying to maintain her composure.

"'Excuse me." The nurse snarls, rounding on the interloper, "Who the hell do you think....." She cuts herself off seeing who is addressing her.

"Operative Lioness." Nikita says, "We operate a premium care service here. So when a patient needs help we offer it. We don't ignore their pleas and we don't scream at them across a corridor."

"Now look." The nurse says, back tracking, "Hold on a moment."

Nikita fixes her with a stare, dripping with predatory malice, "You have already cost yourself your job. Do you really want to argue with me?" She asks, in a low threatenng voice.

The nurse feels her heart racing as every muscle in her body is telling her to run and never look back. She shakes her head and runs towards the locker room.

Tara bites down on the pain, trying to get back to her feet. She feels a gentle but string hand on her shoulder and looks up into the eyes of the woman who scared off the nurse. "Piercing blue eyes, pale skin, full red lips and black hair. She looks like a vampire." Tara thinks, feeling a strength from the woman, "She is really pretty."

"Hello Tara, I am Niki. Nice to meet you." Nikita says, helping her to her feet and supporting her, while she walks to the bed.

"Nice to meet you too." Tara hisses, painfully.

Nikita looks around the room and shakes her head. "Idiots." She talks to herself whilst stalking around the room, "Tiny ass room, no windows. What were they thinking? This is not good enough."

Tara sits, feeling uneasy around this strange woman, "Dani said she was scary. Didn't say she was nuts though."

Nikita shakes her head and turns to Tara, "I am so sorry for the way things have worked out. If you are ok to gather your belongings, I will get you a better room than this."

Tara chews her lip, unsure of what to say and merely nods, then begins gathering the few things she can call her own and taking a seat on the bed as Nikita re-enters with a wheel chair.

Nikita helps her into the chair and looks with dismay at the meagre belongs the young woman has. "I am so sorry that you were left like that." She begins, wheeling her gently towards the door next to Sasha and Kim's family room, "They should never have put you in that room."

"It's ok." Tara says, quietly, still unsure of what is happening.

Nikita turns the chair around facing away from the door and then pulling the chair backwards across the threshold.

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

It is so good to have the girls home. They don't yet all know it as home, of course. But they will. The family is doing what it does best. Caring for each other. Thank you,[mention]wolfman[/mention], for giving us this great story.
Spy Task Force Completed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic