Anzac Day

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Anzac Day

Post by TayDay95 »

So this is probably an odd place to post this, but today is a very important and meaningful day to me personally and for my country of Australia.

Today, the 25th of April, is Anzac Day. It commemorates the Battle of Anzac Cove in 1915 during WWI, the first battle in which Australia and New Zealand took part as independent countries as part of the larger Gallipoli Campaign against Turkey.

“Anzac” is a term for Aussie and Kiwi military personnel derived from the ANZAC Corps, or Australia New Zealand Army Corps, the troops who fought at Gallipoli and later in Europe and the Middle East during WWI.

Today we pay our respects to all our fallen, retired, and still-serving military personnel, we hold services of mourning at dawn all across both countries. I am not a veteran of the ADF, but I did serve in the Australian Army Cadets as a teenager, as such I have worn the uniform of the Australian Army and understand the responsibility said uniform bears, and the sacrifice it represents.

I would simply ask that wherever you are in the world, take a minute or two to pay respect to the courage and bravery of the soldiers who serve your nation, who serve for you and for me. We will never fully understand what they have been through and the least we can do is show our respect and gratitude.

Thanks for reading.

Lest We Forget.