Character pool?

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Pen Dreadful
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Character pool?

Post by Pen Dreadful »

While I'd love to write a story for this forum, I rarely find myself with the time to actually do it. I do have characters, though--quite a few characters who I'd love to be featured in stories here. And I'm sure I'm not the only one with a situation something like that.

So that's what I'm asking about. Is there anywhere on this site where people can provide descriptions and visuals of characters they've imagined, who they're offering up for any writer to use for a story? Sort of a 'public domain' exclusive to this forum, I guess. And if there isn't, does setting one up sound like a good idea?
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

I think that could be a good idea actually, not one i have considered before. Perhaps it might work best as a sub section of the story request threads? :)
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Hi [mention]Pen Dreadful[/mention]
There are sections in such as "Story Requests For Everyone" where you can post such requests.
Hope that helps.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Canuck100 »

ChatGPT would do a good job for this. I just tried it with this prompt:

Create two characters of university age that live in the university’s dorm. They’re two male students from very different backgrounds that discover inadvertently that they both enjoy tie up games.

ChatGPT’s answer:

Meet our characters:

Ryan - a 20-year-old student from a wealthy family. He grew up in a gated community and attended private schools his whole life. Ryan is a bit reserved and can come off as cold to others. He is studying business and hopes to take over his family's company one day.

Jaden - a 19-year-old student from a working-class family. He grew up in a small town and attended public schools. Jaden is outgoing and friendly, always willing to strike up a conversation with anyone. He is studying psychology and hopes to become a therapist.

Ryan and Jaden both live in the same dormitory on campus. They often pass each other in the hallways and exchange small talk, but they've never really hung out together. One day, while Ryan was cleaning his room, he accidentally left his laptop open with a tie-up game website displayed. Jaden happened to be passing by and saw the open tab on Ryan's laptop. He was surprised and intrigued since he also enjoys playing tie-up games.

Jaden took a chance and knocked on Ryan's door. When Ryan answered, Jaden sheepishly asked if he could talk to him about the tie-up game website he saw on his laptop. Ryan was initially taken aback but eventually admitted that he too enjoys tie-up games. They both felt a bit embarrassed but soon realized that they had a common interest.

From that day on, Ryan and Jaden started to hang out more and explore their shared interest in tie-up games. They started to play the games together, using different materials like rope, duct tape, and even silk scarves. Although they come from very different backgrounds, they found common ground in their love for tie-up games, which brought them closer together as friends.
Pen Dreadful
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Pen Dreadful »

That's not what I have in mind at all. I don't want AI to make up a whole story, including characters. I was imaging a list that any writer can grab from and use for their own purposes.

Say I design a character who's an amateur detective and post them in this hypothetical pool. Someone else designs a completely separate character, I dunno, an ambassador or a scientist or student council member or something, and they put that character in the pool a few posts down from mine. And someone else designs a farmer who they want to write a story about. They could go to the character pool and borrow my character, as well as this other character who has nothing to do with me, and insert them into the story to fill some needed roles.

Multiple different writers get to write a story about the same character and nobody gets upset. A writer can mix and match the ideas of a dozen different users and combine them in a totally unique way. Characters from writers with entirely different sources of inspiration get used in the same work of fiction. Does that make any more sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic