Why do you think gags are such a big deal?

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Handsome Scoundrel
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Why do you think gags are such a big deal?

Post by Handsome Scoundrel »

Whenever a hero/heroine is captured by the bad guys, the minions might tie the prisoners up, but so often it's the big bad boss who robs the victims of speech, either by specifically order their goons to "gag them" or by taping the offending mouths shut themselves.

Why are gags so important, to you and to popculture? Why is it that the executives are the ones who get to do the gagging?
Male, 29, with a preference for ropes, tape, and cloth. I like to do the tying and am only interested in non-sexual bondage. If you'd like to chat, send me a private message sometime!
My avatar is the work of nightwrap79 (deviantart).[/url]
Mister The Edge
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Mister The Edge »

I thought you'd ask why captives protest to the gag so much, but you ask a less obvious question.

I think maybe the boss gets some pleasure out of shutting up the hero/heroine.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

Probably because we have become accustomed to seeing the hero/heroine/sidekick gagged when captured on TV, or in the movies. We have developed the mindset of "He ain't really tied up, unless he's gagged!"

Drawscore
Handsome Scoundrel
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

drawscore wrote: 5 years ago Probably because we have become accustomed to seeing the hero/heroine/sidekick gagged when captured on TV, or in the movies. We have developed the mindset of "He ain't really tied up, unless he's gagged!"

Drawscore
That's an interesting take; that maybe we've been conditioned to like gags more. I personally think there is something more "innate" about the act of gagging someone. Something written into our genetic coding so-to-speak.
Male, 29, with a preference for ropes, tape, and cloth. I like to do the tying and am only interested in non-sexual bondage. If you'd like to chat, send me a private message sometime!
Plueschbabycd
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Plueschbabycd »

I think if not really need than is possible also symbol "I not only caper you, I also rob your the right of your free speech"
Andrew
leahjstaples1234
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by leahjstaples1234 »

Victim's irritate captors the most so shutting them up usuall (but not always) happens. Captors have other things to take care off--defending the fort, talking to the negotiators, figuring they way out etc--and victims bound but not gagged are irritating.

It can happen the other way, ie, the captive/victim gagged but told not to take it off or is a kid and complies with demands.

Usually TV/movie provides the worst form of gags that a) don't silence the captive b) don't stay on for long c) are too simple to be calledd gags.
Like breast bondage.
Steak in a Tree
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Steak in a Tree »

To quote a fella from DiDnapper, "gagging a girl is its own reward." (or something to that effect, been a while since i've played the game)

A few reasons I can think of as to why gags are such a big deal:
-in the bdsm scene, it shows another level of submission, more than just the body
-some people enjoy the gag sounds(gag talk, gag laughing, etc)
-practicality, pretty hard to undo knots with teeth if those teeth are blocked by layer upon layer of duct tape
Sealed
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Sealed »

I think, in both pop culture and bondage/sex gags are sorta the moment tie-ups go from light-ish to serious. Being tied up is a fairly vanilla kink (as far as kinks go), but gagging someone with the intention of silencing them (rather than just a symbol of submissiveness) is the point, in my opinion, when it crosses over from vanilla foreplay to serious bondage. Same with pop culture; if peril is a possibility, there's obviously going to be ropes involved, but once the gag goes on it's not a light-hearted "haha let's just wait for my Mary Sue to arrive and beat up the bad guys" anymore.

I think that's why gags are so important and are usually applied by the most important of the group, and in turn why a most people see it as crucial to bondage; it's a turning point, the point where shit starts to go down.
Tieup1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tieup1 »

Sealed wrote: 5 years ago I think, in both pop culture and bondage/sex gags are sorta the moment tie-ups go from light-ish to serious. Being tied up is a fairly vanilla kink (as far as kinks go), but gagging someone with the intention of silencing them (rather than just a symbol of submissiveness) is the point, in my opinion, when it crosses over from vanilla foreplay to serious bondage. Same with pop culture; if peril is a possibility, there's obviously going to be ropes involved, but once the gag goes on it's not a light-hearted "haha let's just wait for my Mary Sue to arrive and beat up the bad guys" anymore.

I think that's why gags are so important and are usually applied by the most important of the group, and in turn why a most people see it as crucial to bondage; it's a turning point, the point where shit starts to go down.
I think a gag is an important part of a tie up scenario. I also think gags can be used in a fun way, with no real threat to the prisoner. There a some good examples of this in several TV comedy programmes, where the damsel in distress, is only in pretend danger.
Handsome Scoundrel
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Sealed wrote: 5 years ago I think that's why gags are so important and are usually applied by the most important of the group, and in turn why a most people see it as crucial to bondage; it's a turning point, the point where shit starts to go down.
I like that "where shit starts to go down-turning point" business. Gags do seem to be the ultimate cherry on-the-top in a way, "not only have I captured you, now i'm shutting you up to!" The captive might have been thinking secretly, "oh no worries i'm going to call out at the last moment and warn my hero of the ambush set for him or her" just before the gag is knotted in a nasty moment of surprise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic