Fictophilia

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
Boocola
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Fictophilia

Post by Boocola »

I've been curious if anyone on this site would have fictophilia or if anyone knows what it means, because I've encountered someone on this site who exhibited signs of it with one of my characters Victor García. It was about five years ago.
SNAFU
tiedinbluetights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by tiedinbluetights »

Okay, so I had to look up what fictophilia is and ... well ... ah ... how to say this ... I guess I may be one? What follows is mostly in jest, and is not intended to offend ;)

Do I know that the characters I read about or created myself (be it in my stories or in RP games like DnD or video games) are purely fictional? Of course yeah.

Do I engage deeply with these fictional characters? If it is a character I spent several hours rolling up for a DnD campaign, or one I invested several weeks, let alone days, into creating for a story, hell yeah. If I ignore them for too long, some even coming back to knock on my author's door. Which reminds me ...

Do I prefer fictional characters to real ones? Well, aside from my wife, a few close friends and relatives, and Internet personas I interact with, yeah for sure! I'd rather spend time with Mr. Spock, or Gandalf, or with any number of other fictional characters that I feel 'I know' through very well written prose, than with a complete real-life, yet still a stranger, off the street.

Seriously, however, I'm not sure if I actually know of anyone that considers themselves as such. I also wonder if there is spectrum or degrees of fictophilia. For example, would feeling "in love" or infatuated with Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Catwoman (a real life person who makes a living inhabiting fictional personas, and acting out the fictional character of Catwoman in this case) be considered a form of fictophilia?

I'll move on and stop thinking about this too hard, before I end up convincing myself that I am one.

Thanks for teaching me a new word @Boocola !
💙 Love to be tied-up 💙
I read and write stories for fun
Open to friendly PMs
(I don't do roleplays nor story requests)
Boocola
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Boocola »

@tiedinbluetights I found this is funny word probably why I started roll playing with dice back in the late 80's, learning draw rough drafts of Jill Valentine and created female version of Link to write stories and put myself in those stories. Regardless, I read about it realized it could help create stories to find something for me to do.
SNAFU
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic