Getting grief over bondage

Wanna Talk about TUGs with your fellow members? Then you may do so here.
BindPam
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Getting grief over bondage

Post by BindPam »

For those who aren't too secretive about their bondage interests, do you have people giving you grief over your way of life? Do they try to "change your mind" about it?

I haven't really had much of a problem with it, but all of a sudden, now, there are a couple of people who do.
NabHer
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by NabHer »

Well, I've been told by an ex how sexist and freakish my kinks are as well as by a few possible dates (I'm pretty open about my kinks now since the last thing I want is to date women that are vanilla). But other than that, most people had been either interested in getting to know more about it or simply went "eh whatever floats your boat man".

So, would you mind telling us how they are trying to change your mind? That's like telling someone to stop watching their fav tv show or listening to their fav band lol.
BindPam
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BindPam »

NabHer wrote: 4 years ago Well, I've been told by an ex how sexist and freakish my kinks are as well as by a few possible dates (I'm pretty open about my kinks now since the last thing I want is to date women that are vanilla). But other than that, most people had been either interested in getting to know more about it or simply went "eh whatever floats your boat man".

So, would you mind telling us how they are trying to change your mind? That's like telling someone to stop watching their fav tv show or listening to their fav band lol.
I'm getting grief from one woman, in particular, who I work with for being both a submissive, and for "going along" with being tied up (I don't "go along" with being tied, I love it, and would find a guy to tie me if I didn't already have one, lol). I am "enabling misogyny".

Second person, a guy, believe it or not, thinks it's "interesting" that I love being tied up, but thinks I'm letting my bf take advantage of me by my being submissive. He says I should be an equal partner with him. He doesn't get that we are partners, we're just not equal partners :)
RotiferTape
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by RotiferTape »

From the people who know I’m in to bondage, they give me grief that I like being tied up for relaxation reasons. They think if i like being bound and gagged,then it must be a sexual thing. But for me it’s all meditation and relaxation.
Climb mountains, camp in deserts, explore jungles, search in tide pools, love your planet.
NabHer
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by NabHer »

BindPam wrote: 4 years ago
NabHer wrote: 4 years ago Well, I've been told by an ex how sexist and freakish my kinks are as well as by a few possible dates (I'm pretty open about my kinks now since the last thing I want is to date women that are vanilla). But other than that, most people had been either interested in getting to know more about it or simply went "eh whatever floats your boat man".

I'm getting grief from one woman, in particular, who I work with for being both a submissive, and for "going along" with being tied up (I don't "go along" with being tied, I love it, and would find a guy to tie me if I didn't already have one, lol). I am "enabling misogyny".

Second person, a guy, believe it or not, thinks it's "interesting" that I love being tied up, but thinks I'm letting my bf take advantage of me by my being submissive. He says I should be an equal partner with him. He doesn't get that we are partners, we're just not equal partners :)
Ah, the good old misogny "argument". Thing is, you can still be equal partners IRL but dominate one another in bed. It's perfectly normal and doesn't mean that it's not a healthy relationship.
TheEngineer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by TheEngineer »

I'm not open about my interest in bondage except with people, but I have gotten a lot of grief from my parents. They, especially my mother, are worried that I may get myself into trouble with it, like with real-life non-consensual bondage. I'm only into kidnapping when I am rping, and only when I'm rping, so to subject someone to that for me is bogus and low-key offensive (since bondage to me is meant to be a fun, safe experience). Though they were probably worried mainly because they just didn't understand my interest and there are a lot of unknowns for them, so naturally being my parents, they were worried. it unfortunately got to the point that they tried to get me therapy, which of course backfired... But of course, they only want the best for me. It's just a matter of time for them to warm up to the idea. Or for them to have an "Out of sight, out of mind" mindset.

TL;DR: People tend to be confused or worried of something they don't understand, especially older people. If they give you grief over it, it probably (...probably...) just means they want whats best and safe for you, as annoying as it can get.
No harm in wanting to try new things!
BindPam
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BindPam »

TheEngineer wrote: 4 years ago I'm not open about my interest in bondage except with people, but I have gotten a lot of grief from my parents. They, especially my mother, are worried that I may get myself into trouble with it, like with real-life non-consensual bondage. I'm only into kidnapping when I am rping, and only when I'm rping, so to subject someone to that for me is bogus and low-key offensive (since bondage to me is meant to be a fun, safe experience). Though they were probably worried mainly because they just didn't understand my interest and there are a lot of unknowns for them, so naturally being my parents, they were worried. it unfortunately got to the point that they tried to get me therapy, which of course backfired... But of course, they only want the best for me. It's just a matter of time for them to warm up to the idea. Or for them to have an "Out of sight, out of mind" mindset.

TL;DR: People tend to be confused or worried of something they don't understand, especially older people. If they give you grief over it, it probably (...probably...) just means they want whats best and safe for you, as annoying as it can get.
You have a different situation, though, your parents (like you say) are concerned for your safety. Parents will do that, mine sure did, and there were safety discussions. That's cool. What I was talking about is a couple of people, one I work with, who get it fine, but just don't approve. That's not cool.
Ranlar
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Ranlar »

OP:
Second person, a guy, believe it or not, thinks it's "interesting" that I love being tied up, but thinks I'm letting my bf take advantage of me by my being submissive. He says I should be an equal partner with him. He doesn't get that we are partners, we're just not equal partners
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You are so equal. Look at it this way. You are both getting what you want right? Both sides give and get in the situation. Sounds equal to me.
BindPam
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BindPam »

Ranlar wrote: 4 years ago OP:
Second person, a guy, believe it or not, thinks it's "interesting" that I love being tied up, but thinks I'm letting my bf take advantage of me by my being submissive. He says I should be an equal partner with him. He doesn't get that we are partners, we're just not equal partners
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You are so equal. Look at it this way. You are both getting what you want right? Both sides give and get in the situation. Sounds equal to me.
Putting it like that, yeah, you're right.

I just like the idea of not being equal, lol.
MtnReign
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by MtnReign »

I've yet to have anyone try and change my mind about it. I'd say you just need to gauge and read the person that you're thinking of bringing your kinks up with. It's usually obvious if they're into bondage, atleast I think so.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic