Military guide on gagging

Have a photograph of yourself in bondage? Post photographs of people tied here.
Note: Remember to cite any source you found online!
Sockgaggedman
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Military guide on gagging

Post by Sockgaggedman »

" stuffing a handkerchief, a piece of turf, or a strip of cloth into his mouth first will make the gag more effective."
-put that on my grave, signed Sockgaggedman
Found this scrap of a vintage military manual, decided to share :)
Admittingly, the quality is not the best, but I couldn't find them in any higher resolution.

And if the writing is really that illegible, then here:
"164. Handkerchief Gag
A gag prevents a prisoner from crying out. Force a handkerchief or a strip of cloth into the prisoner's mouth. A handful of turf will do if nothing else is available. Then tie a handkerchief around the prisoner's mouth ( fig. 121)

165. Stick Gag
IF A STRIP OF CLOTH IS NOT AVAILABLE, A STICK CAN BE USED. Stuff the prisoner's mouth with a piece of turf. Force the stick between his teeth like a bit in a horse's mouth. Tie the stick with a shoelace around the back of his neck ( fig. 122)

166. Adhesive Tape Gag
Place several strips of tape across the prisoner's mouth ( fig. 123). The tape should be at least 1 inch wide and 5 inches long. Stuffing a handkerchief, a piece of turf, or a strip of cloth into his mouth first will make the gag more effective."

Whoever wrote this was really determined that we were to stuff chunks of turf into some poor guys' mouths.
Last edited by Sockgaggedman 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
leconteur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by leconteur »

That's a neat find. Just another reason you should be carrying more handkerchiefs soldier!

Note that they don't instruct anyone to wrap tape around the head. Gags need to be able to come out quick if necessary. Tape wrapping is a bit too risky to be endorsing in a manual is my guess.
33/m/rope bunny Always willing to answer questions and provide guidance where it is requested.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Absolutely fantastic find [mention]Sockgaggedman[/mention]!
Loving this and I'm sure [mention]Xtc[/mention], [mention]MaxRoper[/mention], [mention]KidnappedCowboy[/mention], [mention]wataru14[/mention], [mention]gag1195[/mention], [mention]Stormee[/mention], [mention]privateandrews[/mention], [mention]squirrel[/mention], [mention]sniffingyoursocks[/mention], [mention]GoBucks[/mention], [mention]OrdinaryWorld[/mention] and a bunch of other guys on here will feel a tinge of excitement reading the instructions in this timeless gem.

Well done for posting this.
Favourite non-story-related post I've seen in a while.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

gag1195
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by gag1195 »

Now that is an impressive cleave gag! I wonder if more of this manual offered tips for restraining prisoners in addition to these gag options!

Also, yeah, they really want to stuff prisoners' mouths with turf, huh?
My M/M Stories Here
Sockgaggedman
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Sockgaggedman »

gag1195 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if more of this manual offered tips for restraining prisoners in addition to these gag options!
Haha, funny you should mention this 'cause... I've just found another scrap:
I swear I didn't write the manual and this is pure coincidence!
Had it not been for the sock-lessness and tape-lessness of the gags, I'd have placed my money on Sir [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] as writer, seeing how I've just found a hogtie ;)

Sadly, this one came with no description :cry:
I'm still trying to look for the book where the first photo came from, but so far nothing. Wish me luck, though! If I can find more military book gags, I think all of you will have to pinch in and hire an actual military to bag me up and gag me! Joking, of course ( unless...)
privateandrews
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by privateandrews »

my brother was in the RAF and he showed me instructions on how to gag a prisoner and the stuffing the mouth with turf , he also told me about capture exercises . they were very hot story's and the fact they were true had me all most fainting.
OrdinaryWorld
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by OrdinaryWorld »

By turf do they mean dirt?? They want to stuff someone's mouth with dirt?

Cheers to bondagefreak for the banner!
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

OrdinaryWorld wrote: 1 year ago By turf do they mean dirt?? They want to stuff someone's mouth with dirt?
A handful-sized chunk of grass & dirt/soil, yes. Keep in mind that the point of a gag, especially in a prisoner scenario is to prevent the captive from getting a call for help out. Turf would make for a very silencing gag if socks, handkerchiefs or cloth wasn't readily available.

DeeperThanRed
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by DeeperThanRed »

What a great finding!

Real life gagging instructions are just amazing. I'm guessing that the model's mouth wasn's stuffed but it still should be an interesting photoshoot, especially along with the hogtie.
25-year-old bondage enthusiast who likes cute guys, underwear, and bondage, preferably together.

You can reach my list of written work here: https://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38808#p38808
squirrel
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by squirrel »

Great findings indeed! Wouldn't mind being a model for the rope training 8-)
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: SQUIRREL'S STORIES

KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

Unbelievable find!!! :o :o :twisted: :twisted:

Not quite sure about a piece of turf...Yuck! :oops: :mrgreen:

But it'll do in a pinch! :D
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

leconteur wrote: 1 year ago Note that they don't instruct anyone to wrap tape around the head. Gags need to be able to come out quick if necessary. Tape wrapping is a bit too risky to be endorsing in a manual is my guess.

I apologise for having to disagree with you so often, but I think you're misconstruing the info in order to suit a narrative contrary to military motto.

Everything about the military industry is based on raw efficiency and never expending more resources than necessary to accomplish a given task. Do you really think that an organisation which promotes the forceful stuffing of turf inside a prisoner's mouth (a serious choking hazard) and that promotes the use of neck-lasso style hogties with thin paracord doesn't endorse wraparound tapegags because they aren't safe???

The reason why they wouldn't encourage wraparound tapegags in most scenarios is that tape is a valuable commodity in the military. Even more so back in WW2. It's used primarily for quick repairs and even the temporary mending of battlefield wounds. Soldiers carry a limited supply of it. So why use a larger than necessary amount of critically important material on a prisoner who is not actively fighting his gag if the stuffing + strips do the job?

The prisoner's safety is of secondary importance. The soldier's primary concerns are 1 - stopping the prisoner from escaping (hence the neck-lasso hogtie which will effectively choke the prisoner if he attempts to struggle) and 2 - preventing the prisoner from calling for help, all the while using the least amount of resources possible.

Everything in the military revolves around the efficient use of resources and limiting any unnecessary expenditure. Hence why wraparound tapegags are not the prescribed method of gagging a prisoner. Not unless it became necessary to further secure his gag, that is.

Hope that explains it.
I think we can both agree that the prescribed methods (many of which are still in use today) are harsh AF though ;)
The safety and comfort of prisoners is most definitely not what military organisations aim for. Only raw efficiency.
The ends justify the means sorta thing.

musseli
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by musseli »

These photos are from the US Army FIELD MANUAL, COMBATIVES, FM 21-150. It was dated sometime in the late 1960s or very early 70s. There are modern versions but they do not appear to have the section these photos come from anymore. Lot of hand to hand combat, knife fighting, etc., and then there was a chapter on subduing prisoners.

I specifically recall wondering how the guys selected to be the models felt; some GI got picked (or volunteered?) for that duty. The photos on tying the hands, e.g., was quite thorough--bootlaces used to tie the wrists behind the back, palms out, then the thumbs were to be tied, the lead brought across the wrist bindings, and used to bind the little fingers. The second bootlace was to be used to run up and around the neck then back to the hands, allowing you to control the prisoner easily.

Someone mentioned tape. That was not addressed; this was based only on things you or your opponent might have had on you. Bare bones survival type fighting. Most folks didn't carry tape.

There is a copy of this on eBay for sale right now; otherwise, might be available from military booksellers.
leconteur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by leconteur »

bondagefreak wrote: 1 year ago
leconteur wrote: 1 year ago Note that they don't instruct anyone to wrap tape around the head. Gags need to be able to come out quick if necessary. Tape wrapping is a bit too risky to be endorsing in a manual is my guess.

I apologise for having to disagree with you so often, but I think you're misconstruing the info in order to suit a narrative contrary to military motto.
No need to apologize, after all disagreement can be constructive. The manual for reasons plausible denial and liability will never incorporate anything but "best practices." This is done with the implicit understanding that soldiers in the field will use wraparounds and take these techniques to the "Nth degree" to suit the scenario. However the military bureaucrats who put this material together would be aware of the optics issue.

My point isn't that the military wouldn't do whatever was necessary, just that they'd never purposely release a manual depicting anything but best practices. Cheers.
33/m/rope bunny Always willing to answer questions and provide guidance where it is requested.
TightropesEU
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TightropesEU »

privateandrews wrote: 1 year ago my brother was in the RAF and he showed me instructions on how to gag a prisoner and the stuffing the mouth with turf , he also told me about capture exercises . they were very hot story's and the fact they were true had me all most fainting.
So that's how you learned the trick of the trade, miss your famous triple gags :D
blackbound
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by blackbound »

Yeah, the military doesn't care, see Haiti...

...or even Vietnam.

Sockgaggedman
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Sockgaggedman »

I found another military book on hand-to-hand combat that had a section for securing. So I decided to transcribe some interesting parts here along with the photos. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Section II. SECURING
General
The most effective way of controlling a prisoner is to tie him. You can use pieces of clothing or equipment to tie him securely, such as shoe laces, leather or web belts, neckties, handkerchiefs, or twisted strips of cloth. If a night patrol has the mission of capturing prisoners, it should always carry a piece of rope or flexible wire.

Lead Tie
A piece of rope or two long boot laces are needed for this tie. Make the prisoner lie down. Tie his hands behind his back, using any conventional knot. Force his arms up behind his back in a strained position. Pass the rope around his neck and tie it around his wrists. The length of the loop around his neck should be short enough to force the man to keep his hands in a strained position to relieve pressure on his throat. The prisoner can be easily subdued by jerking on the rope as you walk behind him.

Hog Tie
Tie the prisoner in the lead tie. Cross his ankles and, after doubling his legs up behind him, tie them with the rope so that they remain in position. Any struggle to free himself will result in strangulation. When correctly applied, there is no escape from this tie.

The Section III. GAGGING seemed to use the same text but with different photos. The text can be read transcribed above, here are the photos:

Image Image

Since Sir [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] seemed to quite like the first set of photos from this topic, I think/hope he'll like these too!
Donjeta_detective
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Donjeta_detective »

The most terrible thing is to be captured in a war.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic