Best Story of the Year/Award(s)?

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
Killua
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Best Story of the Year/Award(s)?

Post by Killua »

We already have some contests during the year where storys, especially written for those contests, get honored. A read a lot of great stories in our normal threads too and wondered whether it wouldn't be a good idea to honor some of the "normal" (non-contest-stories) too?

I don't know if something like that is a good idea or even possible but I think something like "the best story of the year"-award would be cool. People, not the author, could propose stories for the award during the year and at the the end of the year or the begonning of the next year, some judges decide which is the best story of year 20XX.

What would you think about the idea of "awards" for "normal" stories?
Banner by Bondagefreak

My F/m Story:
Not as planned F/m
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Killua[/mention]
Since nobody has commented on this yet, I'm going to chip in and give my two cents.

What you're proposing is well-intentioned, but I do not think it is desirable.
Not only do I believe it to be undesirable, but I also think it to be unfeasible.

The regular story contests are quite a hassle to organise (ex: choosing judges that reflect parity as well as the full spectrum of gender-role preferences). Organisation aside, the judges are not paid to read all those stories. It is a huge drain on their time, and we're just talking about 20-30 short stories here.

Can you imagine how many stories would be submitted for consideration in a contest like the one you are proposing?
Hundreds! Many of them with twenty, thirty or even forty chapters of text.

The stories submitted most often would undoubtedly be the ones with the largest followings.
Many of those stories are epics spanning 100+ chapters.

Contest judges are required to read every submitted piece before announcing their verdict to the organiser.

Who is going to read all those stories? Who has the time for that?
What would the criteria be for judging "best" story when there is no given centric theme to stick to?

The considerations for the idea proposed here are astronomical.
We do not have the manpower (or the funds) to pay a fleet of judges for hundreds of reading-time hours.

I could write a longwinded rant and punch plenty of holes into this idea, but there is no point in me doing so.
The unfeasibility of such a contest is quite glaring (until proven otherwise with rational arguments), but more importantly, the undesirability of it is not to be understated.

Contests with given themes are a different thing.
Awards are not given for "best" story but are instead given to works that show great originally while sticking closely to the given theme.

On another note, I would not necessarily be opposed to awarding special recognition to certain stories.
But then again, what exactly would the requirements for such recognition entail?

Ideas like this one have been proposed time and again (on this board and the previous) yet no one has ever managed to flesh out and forward a feasible (or even desirable) proposal.

I am only one voice and I do not speak for the forum.
However, I do not think this idea will garner any support from those who are involved in working behind the story-contest-related scene here.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Killua
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Killua »

[mention]bondagefreak[/mention] Sorry, I haven't seen that such ideas have been suggested before. I guess you're right, that's why I wrote I'm not sure if this is even possible.

I just got the idea because I'm reading a very long great story at the moment and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to show some authors, who put so much work into developing their stories and making a story which is really outstanding, that their story is something special.

But you're absolutely right, it's probably far from realistic and way too much work. Thanks for your reply though
Banner by Bondagefreak

My F/m Story:
Not as planned F/m
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Killua wrote: 3 years ago @bondagefreak Sorry, I haven't seen that such ideas have been suggested before. I guess you're right, that's why I wrote I'm not sure if this is even possible.

I just got the idea because I'm reading a very long great story at the moment and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to show some authors, who put so much work into developing their stories and making a story which is really outstanding, that their story is something special.

But you're absolutely right, it's probably far from realistic and way too much work. Thanks for your reply though
There's no need to apologise, my friend.
Just remember that one man's treasure is another man's trash.

Lack of feasability aside, it would be impossible to establish what parameters would be used for judging what qualifies as "best".
Especially on a forum like this one, where so many different kinks and interests coincide.

As an author yourself, the best thing you can do to show appreciation for said story would be to comment on it and let the author(s) know exactly what it is you're enjoying most.

There is a thread in the "Tug Poll" section entitled "What character would you choose to impersonate" (or something like that). Posting on such threads is the best way to spread the word about a story you feel should be getting more merit.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic