Question for mods from Chuckie

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
chuckie
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Question for mods from Chuckie

Post by chuckie »

I am concerned because two of my stories disappeared and I am not certain why. I had seen some followups, generally positive, but then two stories disappeared with no apparent explanation, one old one and one new one. I am not certain if there is a technical issue, or if perhaps I unintentionally stepped over some boundary from a misunderstanding of the rules and guidelines.

For myself. I only post stories of entirely consensual happenings. No one may ever be bullied into participating, and if the participants would not freely choose to do it again, then no good. I will not post under any circumstances any story, true or fictional, that involves physical injury, bullying, violation of consent, criminal sexual conduct, actual injury or substantial risk of injury. I only post text, never images; neither drawings nor photographs.

I can think of several areas that might go into "gray areas", however. A number of stories I posted have involved teens and a number have involved nudity. I'm not totally sure of the guidelines on these, but it seems particularly in the area of nudity, there are enormous cultural differences in acceptance. In particular, many of those in my circle are from European cultures with extremely relaxed attitudes about nudity. But in the USA, it seems like this is almost a taboo area.

Anyhow, enough said. Given the disappearances, I am wondering if my posts are inappropriate or offensive (and if so, how; I certainly want to be respectful of the norms of this community). Or, perhaps I'm just a "pain in the ass" user (am I allowed to say that?), and I could go away and stop trying to post things.

-- Chuckie
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

We received a couple of reports on the 2 stories that involved teen girls, and after review, we came to the conclusion that they were in the gray area of the rules. At the start, we were fine with letting them stay up because many of the mods saw nothing overtly wrong with them, but then the stories kept getting negative comments. Many of the negative comments were about the teen girls being nude, and some found them to be sexualized. To prevent any further problems with any other members we decided to delete the stories. We also have the 10 posts before you can receive PM's rule in place, and thus couldn't send a PM making you aware of the situation. Please don't believe that you are a problem member, and please continue to post on this site while following the site rules. Note- I moved this post into this section as it better fits here. Please let me know if you have any more questions, and hopefully, soon you will be able to send and receive PMs.
chuckie
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by chuckie »

Thank you for the response. I understand the issue of "gray areas" all too well. It is all too easy for me to "step in" this one. My circle of friends is quite diverse, and I note that attitudes about nudity (at any age) are far more relaxed among those from certain European cultures than in a lot of the USA. I think part of the issue is that in many cultures, nudity is instantly equated with sex, and also, the very nature of restraints and control, even when done playfully and lovingly, tends to have sexual overtones.

I'm thinking about what to do going forward. If the people who shared them with me are agreeable, perhaps between some editing of earlier stories and just starting out in the "for adults" section would make them less controversial.

-- Chuckie
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Hi, [mention]chuckie[/mention]
I am the nasty mod who took the final decision. I was going to write a pm explaining but, of course, you do not yet have access to them.
There was concern about inappropriate interaction between adults and minors as well as nudity that was garnering far from positive remarks and reports!
I am a Brit and I am aware that other cultures have a more relaxed attitude to such things but Americans have inherited our more puritanical tendencies and we must protect ourselves from legal action under American law.

Thank you for accepting the situation with such grace and please continue to contribute but please be sensitive to such situations.

Write on!
Xtc
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

I am an American, and I can vouch for the laws being somewhat more stringent, even draconian, on this side of the pond. Nudity is a red flag. Nudity involving underage subjects, is a BIG red flag, and I, along with several of the mods/admins, have seen several sites go dark for a whole lot less than your stories.

Drawscore
chuckie
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by chuckie »

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I was able to reach the original storyteller for one of my older postings. That story had originally been edited for another board with very different standards, along with some incentives to embellish the racier parts. In hindsight, that was not suitable here. She worked with me on a very major edit of the story. We agreed to remove anything that seemed to suggest sexualized behaviors. She also tried to reconstruct the story closer to the way it happened, but it was more than 50 years ago, and memory is not perfect. All the dialog is set in English, but that is not the language that was used when it happened. There are still references to nudity, but it is all completely non explicit and completely non sexual and and it is appropriate to the setting of the story and the time and culture in which it happened. Finally, because we realize that the mere mention of nudity might be controversial, we decided to put it in the "adult" section. So we shall see if this is acceptable. If it is, I may try to track down another collaborator for another edit of a different story. And if it isn't I guess we will just have to take some time and think again, and I hope to not have caused offense or harm.
Chuckie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic