Search exclusion list

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
blackbound
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Search exclusion list

Post by blackbound »

As it is, I find the site search incredibly useless as so many useful words are not being searched for because they're "too common" (like "black", "phone", "bed"). Is there a way to change that and make it more useful?
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

I would completely agree with this. It also wont let you search for M/F stories for example because the search has to be over three letters and because it doesnt recognise the slash, M and F are too short for it to search. It makes it difficult for potential readers to search for stories with topics they are interested in.

I understand if its more to do with the way that its programmed though :)
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

[mention]blackbound[/mention]

Honestly in my experience you are better off using google or some other search engine. For google you can type site:tugstories.com then it will exclusively search within the website, allowing you to search for whatever it is you are looking for.

SO for instance lets say I want to find sleeping bag related stories, I would type "sleeping bag" site:tugstories.com in the search bar which would search this website for that topic.
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

Gagfan wrote: 2 years ago @blackbound

Honestly in my experience you are better off using google or some other search engine. For google you can type site:tugstories.com then it will exclusively search within the website, allowing you to search for whatever it is you are looking for.

SO for instance lets say I want to find sleeping bag related stories, I would type "sleeping bag" site:tugstories.com in the search bar which would search this website for that topic.
That would be the better way to do it.

There isn't really an extension that improves upon the search bar, honestly. I would have to modify the core phpBB to make any kind of improvements, which is risky and not an easy take to do.
blackbound
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by blackbound »

Fair enough, thanks!
jafib
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by jafib »

Yep, even the word "female" is ignored, which limits the usefulness of the RP index.
But there seeems to be a possible fix: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1441385
Meet Jessica in the Garage, Alica the baby-sitter, Phillip tieing up teen girls
Adult Stories: Naughty Tamara, Josefine the Model (all M/F)

Feedback motivates me to write more and continue a story :)
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

I understand guys, but I can only do so much. The software for this board is developed and maintained by a third party. I only install and set it up on this domain for everyone to use. You might be better off directing your concerns at phpbb.com.
jafib
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by jafib »

[mention]chadmc90[/mention] this is exactly what the linked forum thread is about! In it they explain how you as board admin can update the configuration to resolve this!

Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

Except for the fact that as Chad states, "I would have to modify the core phpBB to make any kind of improvements, which is risky and not an easy task to do." As well as them claiming there is no more support for these types of things. So for many of us, it is not worth the risk of losing the site to fix an issue that's not really an issue.
jafib
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by jafib »

I am no expert on phpBB but a sysadmin myself - would be open to assist, too, if needed.
But looking at the forum post it seems to be a simple setting in the dashboard, not some rocket science surgery, no? ;)

Johnsnow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Johnsnow »

The solution posted by Gagfan is the ideal solution for you to search the site.

The linked phpbb forum posts shows how to re-index the site which (basically) would remove the old list of common words and create a new one. The issue in our case is that most of those words are still common which means they will get put right back into the new list.

The other setting (which based on my 30 second look through) adjusts the sensitive for a word to be declared common. If we set this to high (so that less words are common) then that means anytime someone searches for one of those words, our site has to do more work to find all of the related posts therefore slowing down the site for everyone.

Not to mention that none of this even addresses the issue that Bigballgag1 brought up about terms like f/m being too short.

Again I would encourage you to use to format: “search term” site:tugstories.com
On a search engine like google (most other search engines have similar formats if you prefer something like Duck Duck go or Bing)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic