Hashtags?

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Hashtags?

Post by TomYi »

How difficult would it be to implement a "Hashtag" or otherwise similar function on this forum?

Currently, most of the stories listed in the Story Catalogue feature tags, (I've seen Chapter Guides on longer stories that do this too) but those are mostly just to let readers know what all's featured in the story. If a reader discovers that they like a certain thing and they try to search for more, the 'search' function will probably tell them that the word they used is too common.

If members could create hashtags like on most social media platforms, then readers who like a certain tag in the Story Catalog could simply click on the tag and immediately have access to all the other stories with that feature!

If it's possible to implement, then I think it would be a really handy search tool!
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

[mention]TomYi[/mention] I don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like that on the site. But we had something similar in the past and not many people actually used the function, so we got rid of the feature. I wonder what [mention]chadmc90[/mention], [mention]Johnsnow[/mention], or [mention]Xtc[/mention] think about this.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Sorry,[mention]Solarbeast[/mention], I don't do tech but i'd be interested to see what [mention]Johnsnow[/mention] and [mention]chadmc90[/mention] think.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

[mention]Xtc[/mention] I know you don't do tech, I was just curious as to what you thought about the proposal and similar things we've done in the past.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

It could be a useful idea.
I just can't help thinking that (say) my failure to include any relevant links might not enable people to find stories that they might be interested in. I just imagine someone thinking (say), "This story does not have anything to do with gerbils, so it's not worth my pursuing it."
However, I think that a more relevant search facility could be useful in spite of my reservations.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

We had this. Not many actually used this and the extension was glitchy, not being usable by some. It was a nice feature but it was buggy. I will look to see if they updated it, but honestly I am not sure if it is worth adding back...
Johnsnow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Johnsnow »

Yeah I’ll second Chad in that unless there has been a significant update it was pretty buggy when we had it.

I was a big advocate for installing it the first time but looking back I don’t know that it was worth the speed/ processing power that it takes from the other features of the site.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic