Like Button

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
some_wanderer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Like Button

Post by some_wanderer »

Hey Admins,

Do you think it's possible to have a "Like Button" in this forum.

Just to give a like to a story or a thread.
If your story has a little sister tied up by their brother,

I'll be there with comment and rating 👍
AlexUSA3
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by AlexUSA3 »

My experience after 15 years on the net is that a like button is when things begin to go south and feelings start to get hurt.
CGC Short Stories (F+f+/F+f+): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20527
Find my other CGC Stories in the same link above!

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]some_wanderer[/mention]
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5215
some_wanderer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by some_wanderer »

AlexUSA3 wrote: 11 months ago My experience after 15 years on the net is that a like button is when things begin to go south and feelings start to get hurt.
How so?

tiedinbluetights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by tiedinbluetights »

some_wanderer wrote: 11 months ago
AlexUSA3 wrote: 11 months ago My experience after 15 years on the net is that a like button is when things begin to go south and feelings start to get hurt.
How so?
Well, I'm convinced, after reading through all the posts on the thread [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] linked
bondagefreak wrote: 11 months ago [mention]some_wanderer[/mention]
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5215
that it will indeed go south and kill this forum if a like button is implemented. There is a reason why I post here and not on DeviantArt.

If you like a thread, please comment on that thread, as it bumps it to the top.

Necroposting is NOT frowned upon on this forum. Many authors are happy to see their 3 or 4 year old stories that have gone years without comments suddenly pop to the top and garner additional comments.

No amount of anonymous 'likes' will bring back authors (be it of hand drawn pictures, written stories, or whatever else) who left because of lack of public constructive feedback or exchanges. Many content creators on this forum who have left, have done so not because they didn't have enough 'likes', but because they spent huge, colossal amounts of time, to produce free content for anyone to enjoy, but got no comments or too few to make it worthwhile to post more.

What I love about this forum is the exchanges, in public and in PMs, even like this one right now that I'm typing. If I post a story, no amount of views or likes will encourage me to write more; only actual comments and chats will. The same goes with non-story posts. The exchanges, chats, sharing of experiences, are more important than the views and likes, and no amount of likes on a particular post, not even a million, is worth a single comment, especially from a newcomer.

I share the fears of those who have spoken against like buttons. I fear this forum turning into a wasteland with just a handful of authors and a very small slice of their fanbase actually exchanging posts, everyone else lazily smashing those like buttons and wondering why their favourite authors with thousands of likes and views don't post more.

You would want a member whose story or post you like to know that you like their story or post, or otherwise encourage them to participate more: PLEASE COMMENT ON THEIR STORY OR POST!
💙 Love to be tied-up 💙
I read and write stories for fun
Open to friendly PMs
(I don't do roleplays nor story requests)
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Whilst I tend to agree with [mention]tiedinbluetights[/mention], we must be aware of a (limited) tendency to bump posts whose lack of responses is indicative of the fact that they are simply of no interest to anyone. They are not usually story posts but tend to be of the "Please will someone write me a story concerning misbehaviour with a walrus" type.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

There are many good points on this thread both for and against.

One thing I have noticed on a slightly separate issue is new users posting on several stories in the space of about 5 minutes in order to reach the magic 10 post mark. They are either extremely quick readers or lets be honest not reading the entirety and just picking the 10 most recent topics/stories to reach the quota. Often many of these story comments are just “good” , “continue” or “enjoyed” which doesn’t add much more feedback than the like counter would.

This isn’t a moan as I understand little can be done about this. Many people here use PMs more than writing stories or leaving feedback and thats ok. Not everybody is a writer or has the time. Its also fair to say if you raised the PM post number to 50 then many new users would just create 50 of these short posts, or 150 etc etc.

The only way I can see a like system working would be to have a limit so for example after you have given 5 likes it blocks the function until you leave a comment or post something. Although i’m not sure if a system like that is even possible let alone how that would be implemented in.
tiedinbluetights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by tiedinbluetights »

Xtc wrote: 11 months ago Whilst I tend to agree with @tiedinbluetights, we must be aware of a (limited) tendency to bump posts whose lack of responses is indicative of the fact that they are simply of no interest to anyone. They are not usually story posts but tend to be of the "Please will someone write me a story concerning misbehaviour with a walrus" type.
I love this reply on so many levels! I liked it so much for a moment I wanted to smash the like button! But, that was just a momentary impulse, and the fear that had I smashed the like button instead of commented, I would have ended up becoming a non-commenting lurker again kicked-in.
💙 Love to be tied-up 💙
I read and write stories for fun
Open to friendly PMs
(I don't do roleplays nor story requests)
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

Bigballgag1 wrote: 11 months ago One thing I have noticed on a slightly separate issue is new users posting on several stories in the space of about 5 minutes in order to reach the magic 10 post mark. They are either extremely quick readers or lets be honest not reading the entirety and just picking the 10 most recent topics/stories to reach the quota. Often many of these story comments are just “good” , “continue” or “enjoyed” which doesn’t add much more feedback than the like counter would.
Maybe this is just me, but I still find a single "good" to a "like" from a button. I don't need feedback to get better (I'd appreciate it, but that's just too much to ask), but every post is encouraging.

That's also why I don't want a like-button. Even a one-word post give me more joy, than some thumb-up emojy with a the number increasing by one. And, seriously, if you can read a story, you have the time to write a single word.

I just don't get why people always want a like button. Writing an answer with a single word is not much more work, but it feels better to me, as an author. And yeah, more words would be better, but sometimes you just can't think of something more interesting. It's fine. But at least do that little bit. It's really not too much to ask.

Provided by bondagefreak
Click on the banner to get to the story

For more of my stories, click here.
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

tiedinbluetights wrote: 11 months ago You would want a member whose story or post you like to know that you like their story or post, or otherwise encourage them to participate more: PLEASE COMMENT ON THEIR STORY OR POST!
Hear hear!
some_wanderer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by some_wanderer »

Never knew many people hated "Like" buttons.

Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

It's not the first time we've had this discussion!
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic