A 'Like' Button

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

On the subject of low comment rates, it's become somewhat glaringly obvious that most readers will only comment if they have something immediate to gain from it. Obviously, this isn't true for everyone. But in terms of generality, the numbers do not lie.

On the above-mentioned vote-stories that garner 30-35 comments/per chapter, only a fraction of those commenters will actually post a comment on the final chapter (either to thank me for the fun ride or to review the story finale). As soon as the final chapter makes its appearance and nothing is to be gained by commenting, the majority of those same commenters who've been supporting the story the whole time suddenly evaporate and are nowhere to be seen. Since no other chapters will follow, there is nothing to be gained by leaving a comment on the final scene. So why bother?

On this same note, I also need to point out that the most popular and commented on story on this forum is: SHOPPING TRIP LEADS TO BONDAGE HOOK-UP which has accumulated 165 comments through the publishing of only a single public chapter.

It is not my place to talk about the merits or lack thereof of this author's strategy, but the results are mighty interesting, if a tad bit disheartening.

In the above tale, the author published a single chapter, with a footnote stating that chapter II would only be sent by PM to those who leave comments on the thread. If you leave a comment on Chapter 1, you receive Chapter 2 by PM. If you leave another comment on the thread, you'll be sent Chapter 3...and so on.

Never in my decade-long membership here have I seen so many new/silent readers literally piling on top of each other to get access to those PM chapters. The first chapter of the story (whilst good) is not remarkable, in the sense that it doesn't stand out above other high quality works here.

This is simply a case of readers having something immediate and tangible to gain from commenting.
When those same silent readers are left with the impression that a story will continue even if little support is voiced, they will happily remain silent and keep reading. Steadfast authors ([mention]TomYi[/mention] being one of them) usually end up getting the short end of the stick. They keep posting and publishing no matter what, and the more they do, the more those normally silent readers are convinced that comments are not needed.

I do not have all the answers or solutions, but understanding the readership pattern is the first step in knowing how to adapt.
One of my stories from three months ago was getting a subpar showing. I had made it clear that 30 comments was the minimum threshold for the continuation chapter to appear. One of those chapters struggled to reach the minimum threshold, inciting me to publically warn the readers that the tale was on the verge of being cancelled due to lack of sufficient support. The following chapter got a stunning 42 comments and several lurkers came out of the shadows to lend their support (several of which are regular reviewers now).

Obviously, I do not do this often and do not enjoy having to warn of impending cancellations.
The point I'm trying to get across is that those of you publishing chapters no matter what (even though it may seem more noble and steadfast) are not doing yourselves a favour. There is something to be said for occasionally letting the readership audience know that future chapters are not guaranteed unless there is an increase in support. Some authors here are known for cancelling stories and moving onto other projects when the readership chooses the route of silence. More often than not, these authors tend to get more support than those who constantly lament about lack of feedback but keep pressing on no matter what.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TomYi »

So, a lot has been said in response to my last comment. I really want to keep things civil, so I'm just gonna say this:

Your personal experience is statistically insignificant and vulnerable to biases and fallacies. It's lousy evidence. Sometimes we have to resort to personal experience (with a grain of salt) when no other forms of evidence are available for examination; but if I back up my stance with peer-reviewed data, and you still want to try and counter the data with anecdotes and personal opinion, then we're done. We're at an impasse that is not going to be resolved.

[mention]bondagefreak[/mention] brought more than mere opinion to the table by comparing communities and pointing to proportionately fewer comments on DeviantArt; but even with that evidence, we wind up back at the simple fact of the matter: we won't actually know until we try. There's not much I can say to that without repeating myself here.

Moving on to the tangential topics...
bondagefreak wrote: 2 years ago The point I'm trying to get across is that those of you publishing chapters no matter what (even though it may seem more noble and steadfast) are not doing yourselves a favour. There is something to be said for occasionally letting the readership audience know that future chapters are not guaranteed unless there is an increase in support. Some authors here are known for cancelling stories and moving onto other projects when the readership chooses the route of silence. More often than not, these authors tend to get more support than those who constantly lament about lack of feedback but keep pressing on no matter what.
I understand this argument. It makes sense, but even when I apply that strategy, things don't work out well. When I started The Loop, I made it clear that comments were needed for continuations. All that came from that was a perfectly good story that's dead in the water. It's sad because I was somewhat fond of that one. I believe you were too. I'm going to post a warning there soon, but the fact remains that even at The Loop's apex you'd probably consider its amount of feedback to be "sad".
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

TomYi wrote: 2 years ago We wind up back at the simple fact of the matter: we won't actually know until we try.
Indeed. This has been a subject of discussion on here and on the previous board for many years now.
A trial period has never been attempted.

There is one somewhat major "pro-like" argument I can bring to the table.
Much of the success my stories enjoy is due to the simple fact that I mobilise large portions of the readership through the tagging system.

Most of us who keep tabs on active topics and new stories are usually oblivious to the fact that most of the people on this forum don't even know about the Quick Links at the top-left of the forum and have ZERO knowledge of how to navigate the board. Most readers browse the board by looking at different sections and glancing at the first threads in those sections. They miss out on SO MUCH!

TONS of them end up discovering stories months after they've been completed.

I posted a guide in "Welcome To The Board" section showing those users how to navigate the board properly, but it's virtually impossible to reach them since they don't look at the Active Topics and therefore remained oblivious to it being published.

In any case, the tagging system is a wonderful feature when you want to point your regulars (and anyone who's previously commented on similar works) in the direction of a new story. I often use that feature to steer my readers in a certain direction, whether it be to publicise my works or that of another author I feel has gone unnoticed.

A "like" system where the usernames appear would allow for much broader shepherding tactics.
In other words, it would allow me (and every other author) to broaden our rakes beyond those who typically comment.

Ex: If [mention]Killua[/mention] notices several shy readers consistently "liking" his works, it would be very easy for him tag these users and alert them of any new updates/stories he's publishing. I've found that very often, shy readers who get tagged and personally invited to join in feel more included and less shy about participating.

There is a definite potential for growth here.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Killua
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Killua »

[mention]TomYi[/mention] As I said before, my comment wasn't a personsl attack on you nor intended to offend you in any way. I did my best to contribute my concerns about the whole thing. I told you my point of view which isn't based on statistics, just personal experience (based on my job experiences). I can't come up with all your statistics and stuff. And I'm not interested in doing so. In the end we'll see how your general statistic will apply on such a specific board like this one.
If the like system comes, we'll see how it turns out. If it backfires, I'll try to "blackmail" my readers too, even if that's not my way of doing, with minimum amounts for "quality comments" (but the regular readers I have, probably don't need that to comment... at least I hope so).
The only thing I know for sure, I won't write even a single story for the people who are just "liking" my storys. Which I will point out at the begin of all my future stories.
Banner by Bondagefreak

My F/m Story:
Not as planned F/m
WillHBonney
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by WillHBonney »

bondagefreak wrote: 2 years ago This is simply a case of readers having something immediate and tangible to gain from commenting.
When those same silent readers are left with the impression that a story will continue even if little support is voiced, they will happily remain silent and keep reading. Steadfast authors (@TomYi being one of them) usually end up getting the short end of the stick. They keep posting and publishing no matter what, and the more they do, the more those normally silent readers are convinced that comments are not needed.
I’ve never really considered the idea of incentivising comments to encourage lurkers but given the success of the recent 10 comments to unlock PMs incentive this is something I’d consider doing for my own stories. It looks like TomYi is already having some success on The Loop.

Regarding likes, I think if it’s possible, a user’s like activity should be displayed on their profile similar to how you can browse the comments made by that user. That way they can be used alongside comments to determine a user’s interests.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I received this from a member and I must say that I completely agree:
=====

I know there are other mods/admin, other people in charge of the board. However I've previously spoken to the two of you (Myself and [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] ), over other matters, or just to chat, so it's you I'm coming to know.

I don't wish to start a flame war (is that the right term?) or cause upset, which is why I'm not simply posting this, but I feel the need to say anyway. To voice my thoughts to someone.

I've just seen XXX's latest post on his story YYY. And, personally, I feel asking for a set number of comments before being willing to continue is wrong.

To me, in an extreme case, it's almost like a form of blackmail. Saying you have a really good ending thought out, but won't write any more unless people comment each time, it just feels wrong. Like bullying or something. I don't really know exactly what it feels like, but it doesn't feel right.

I'll admit to a small amount of jealousy here. After all I've been writing f/f (and F/F) on the board for some time, yet not one of my stories has garnered the interest of ZZZ. I have, and will continue to, post chapters with sometimes one, sometimes no, comments to seperate them. Because I'm here as a writer who enjoys writing, not as someone who will only write if others comment and praise me.

Obviously the praise is welcomed. I just don't think we should be allowed to ask/demand it. It socks to get none. But such is the way of the site.

Sorry guys. This rant/ramble might not make the sense I want it to. I don't expect things to be done. VVV is free, no doubt, to ask what he's asked for. And fair enough. I don't expect change, I just wanted to voice my feelings, my thoughts.

If nothing else I now feel better having told someone that I feel a member isn't being entirely fair.

I'm grateful for your time. Please, if you want to write me back then do. But, I'm not expecting it. As I just said I'm aware that of we want to demand comments on our stories we doubtless can.

I just won't ever be going down that road. I'd far rather my only comments came from those who truly want to, not those who must comment because I demanded it.

=====

I can only agree completely.

We are, surely, a community but a community of writers who post their work because they enjoy writing. We have no right to expect adulation. . . .
. . . I'd better stop there before I carry on about writers who post only one chapter and dispense others only to their acolytes. Sorry, guys, I have tried to hold my tongue but can no longer do so.

I hope I have not upset the person who pm'd me.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

Edit: retracted my statements on story gatekeeping for now.

But as far as my opinion on the idea of the like system: I honestly do not think it's gonna impact the board as much as people are thinking it will. The people who comment willingly do so because they love to share their thoughts with the author about the story, and I don't think introducing a like button will affect that. We won't know without a trial, but usually people like to talk about the extreme possibilities before considering wherever it will have any impact at all. Just my thoughts on the matter. I couldn't care less if it got implemented, I mean honestly....
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

While I appreciate visible support on my stories like any author does, I have to agree with [mention]Xtc[/mention] .

Surely writing for the love of writing is something greater to aspire to than just writing for praise? Yes it sucks to pour hours into a story and get no feedback in return but I'm happy with knowing my ideas and creative efforts are reaching people regardless of whether they comment or not. That being said I'm pretty easy to please as a person and obviously not every writer here is gonna feel the same.

I used to bitch on the old site about not getting comments, but now a few years later I think back and feel it came across as rather childish when I did so, it didn't change the number of comments I got and probably just made me look attention-hungry, rather than what I wanted to be: a writer who just wants to share my imagination with others.

"Blackmailing" readers may yield results, but organic feedback surely means more to a writer than coerced feedback or a higher quantity of comments, right?
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

TayDay95 wrote: 2 years ago Surely writing for the love of writing is something greater to aspire to than just writing for praise? Yes it sucks to pour hours into a story and get no feedback in return but I'm happy with knowing my ideas and creative efforts are reaching people regardless of whether they comment or not.
It must feel so rewarding and feel so morally invigorating to be above the petty concerns of us lowly attention-seekers.

Since you're so far above us and are happy to receive little to no feedback, please stop harassing me with requests to get new banners and headers to help you publicise your works. Just write for yourself. Thanks.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

[mention]bondagefreak[/mention]

Hey come on mate, that's a bit bloody uncalled for, and that's hardly what I meant. I clearly said not everyone is gonna feel the same I'm just adding my two cents. I'm not here to make any personal attacks. Wanting attention for a story and literally begging for it are two very different things. I'm not trying to be morally superior or anything just telling it like it is.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to advertise my work a bit, what comes of that is out of my hands. I can't produce those pictures at the same quality you can, if I could and knew of the system I'd happily do it myself.

Also I sent you like one message after a week... Hardly what I'd call harassment.

If you have a problem with me that's fine man but there's no need to be rude. I've always been polite to you in fact I respect the living hell out of you as a writer. If I've offended you I apologise but I'm not taking back anything I've said, writers shouldn't extort feedback out of their readers bro.
Sportsfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Sportsfan »

I'm with Tay on this one. If you enjoy what you do, you don't do it for the feedback. You do it because you enjoy it. Back on the old forum as a young teenager, probably the most attention seeking age group besides infants, I typed my stories out texting-style on a dang DSi because it was all I had at the time. Sure I appreciated the feedback and even got a little anxious if it dropped or dissipated completely. What self-conscious person wouldn't. But I never quit any of my stories unless I stopped enjoying writing them.

If the entire internet went by the logic of "Oh, I'm only going to continue this if I get feedback", half the internet as we know it wouldn't exist. Because 95% of popular content creators started out with next to no feedback and continued to have next to no feedback, sometimes for several years. That is, until they finally broke through, Because they kept at it. And whenever you see one of those content creators being asked how to get big on whatever platform they're on, the most common answer BY FAR goes along the lines of "Getting big shouldn't be the priority, enjoying it should be. And if you are clearly enjoying yourself, then that enjoyment will naturally attract those who enjoy you."

It's also important to point out that while yes, asking for "Like goals" are a thing on those places like YouTube or Twitch, they are often incredibly loose, and sometimes don't matter at all, they'll just give their viewers the content anyways. Also, usually the ones that are set in stone are dares or challenges that the content creator doesn't particularly want to do, which doesn't really apply in this case. So "like goals" honestly have less relation to this situation than some people may think. In fact, as I mentioned, YouTube and Twitch much more favor just doing what you enjoy doing and not requiring feedback in order to continue doing it. A bunch of people doing exactly that is literally how those sites became huge in the first place after all.

Besides, is genuine feedback not exponentially more valuable than coerced feedback, which is practically like you're a teacher giving them a school assignment? No offense to anybody and their incredible writing, but I would much rather earn people deciding to comment because they were pleased by my writing enough to say something on their own accord, rather than get demanded comments that are really just there to please me.

Final note: It should be pointed out that the writer sending future parts of their work via PM is a completely different deal. Because they aren't holding the entire site hostage as a whole. What they're doing instead is simply asking people to reach the minimum post limit in order to be able to use PMs and get the next chapters. It is therefore completely up to each individual person whether or not they will get the next parts of the story or not, not the writer or anybody else. That is objectively most definitely not the same thing as writers demanding a feedback threshold from a community as a whole to to continue a story period. One is unorthodox but very smart in my eyes and has clearly brought a lot of traffic to the site. The other feels shamelessly egotistical, like the writers in question are writing for the wrong reasons and it's clearly causing a divide, which is not good for the site and will likely instead detract viewers. In other words: pointlessly negative.
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

I write to enjoy, but let's not pretend its not a bit of a buzzkill for one's excitement level if you pour your effort into a story only for no one to like it. Most of my work doesn't end up on this site mostly because the feedback historically is pretty bleh, if my deviantart got as little of feedback as my stories often time get here I'm not sure if I would have written even a quarter of the output Ive ended up putting out.

Now is throwing down a ___ comments or I quit ultimatum extreme? Maybe, but would it really be too much different if he had just said a general "hey guys Im sort of feeling down about the lack of interest in this story and am losing my motivation to continue it"? Over on my deviantart Ive had recurring characters I deep sixed specifically because the stories involving them didnt draw the interest I was hoping for. If you dont feel people are liking what you are throwing out it gets tougher to motivate to throw it out there.

It sounds noble and poetic to say "well I write just for the fun of it", but how many of us would HONESTLY keep writing (or at the very least publishing what we wrote) if story after story got 0 comments?
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
Pup
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup »

My my the rhetoric in this topic has escalated alot since I last read it.

I will say I don't understand the argument of "writing because you enjoy it not for comments" because if people wrote purely because they wanted to, they wouldn't post it here. Alot of people do it because they enjoy it and because other people enjoy reading it. It's alot easier to see that people enjoy your story through comments than a number going up, and it's also easier to improve or tailor your story to people's interests with comments.

Plus let's be real it's always good for people's own satisfaction, peace of mind, and ego to have positive comments, and don't people who go to the trouble of writing stories that people enjoy deserve this?

That said I don't think anybody should (nor do I think anyone does) write on here if they don't enjoy it.

Regardless this seems to all have shifted more towards the issue about lack of feedback on here.

On the topic of a like button, I honestly don't think it will do any harm or any good. People who regularly comment will continue to do so, and threats to stop writing without comments will continue to work, at most it will be a good metric for how many people read a topic fully and don't just skim the first few lines and find something else.

There's no harm in trying it providing it isn't too much effort to set up.
Red86
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Red86 »

Take my 2 cents like you would a grain of salt. I see all sides of this debate.

I get this is coming back to the lack of feedback. Some authors don't seem to mind low feedback. Others are less motivated by it and I truly get it even though I don't write. I have seen over the years, this is a recurring problem with no easy answers.

It could potentially help or potentially not. So maybe a trial period wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally, an added like feature wouldn't change me commenting on a story. I'll still comment the same amount whether its added or not. I grant you, I could be better with providing comments on stories. Since I don't always provide feedback on every chapter posted, it could be a nice feature letting an author know, I've at least read a chapter. With that being said, the author should be allowed to see who liked it, if it was to be implemented provided its not difficult to do.

While it'll make no difference to me, I can't seem the harm in a little trial and error testing.
Bigballgag1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bigballgag1 »

A lot of my opinion echoes what has been said before hand.

I think there is the tendency for a few people to get a bit carried away with what this site is about. People that choose to write here are doing so as a hobby or as a way to unwind. There is no financial or other incentive to gain, the writers here are effectively volunteering to share content. Now i’m not saying thats a bad thing, far from it i think its a good thing having all this content at free disposal. The blackmail of only releasing the next part to those who leave a comment feels too much like a paywall to me. If every story here was changed to ‘part 2 will only be pm’d to those who leave a comment’, the readership would quickly lose interest and leave which im sure is what nobody wants.

I can see the other side though, as a writer (if i can call myself that :lol: ) , content creator or whichever way you want to put it. I love receiving comments on my stories and it is nice to know people are interested in your story. It can give you motivation and makes you feel like you are at least doing something right. However i wouldn't say i would ever necessarily demand comments to release more. It feels wrong. At the end of the day, this site is only intended to be some fun.

I understand the passion some people have for the site but i think sometimes it can give the wrong impression. This isnt a cult. This isnt a job, a livelihood for people. Its a hobby. I think it should work the other way as well though, readers should be patient and not demand or expect a new chapter immediately. If you can great, if you cant it should be understandable. Users here have their own lives, which i don't think is understood enough. People on here all the time will be in different parts of life and will have more time, less time to work on stuff. People start new jobs, get married, have kids...people go through bereavement and a whole host of other battles. I myself also am simply just not in the mood to write or to spend much time here sometimes...personally I feel thats ok. Its life.

Sorry for the waffling post i’ll get to the point now. Personally i think the like trial would be a good idea. Take youtube for example. Search up any popular youtube video and it will have more likes than comments. Making feedback easier to give a visitor to the site can only be a good thing. At least you should be able to gauge some wider opinion.

Hope that all makes sense, sorry if ive offended anyone...i hope i havent but you never know.

Right, i’ll shut up now! Promise! :roll: :lol:
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TomYi »

Well, this sure got sidetracked. I've already responded to the accusations of blackmail here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=93086#p93086

Now, if everyone's satisfied, can we please just go back to the original topic? This thread is meant to discuss the potential option to "react" to posts. Let's try and keep it on topic.
TayDay95
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TayDay95 »

Of course Tom, it seems most of us are in agreement that a trial period would be a good idea but of course I'm not speaking for everyone.
Rtj65
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Rtj65 »

I haven't been able to spend much time on the site for the last few weeks or so, but I want to contribute here. Honestly I'm a bit confused why this topic has become so controversial - I really think that this is something worth experimenting with.

Would there be a drop in activity after a trial period ends? Maybe, but if I'm honest if that's enough for people to turn away from this site then they weren't going to contribute much anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

I think there's a couple of stipulations I would add to a 'like' button if it were up to me however - firstly to potentially limit it to registered users only, and secondly to make it visible who is liking stuff. In any case, it's worth trying for a little bit, I think.

As for the stuff about not caring about feedback and just writing for writing's sake, I completely disagree. I have plenty of things that I have written just for myself and will likely never share with anyone else, that I enjoyed writing. I wouldn't post stuff here if I didn't want other users to engage with it, and I think the same is true of everyone else who has posted a story on here.
Male switch from the UK here, always up for a chat about anything TUGs related!

My stories
Causality (F/M) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9909
A Grey Area (M/F) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12604
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

I'd like to add anther 'No" vote to this, although in my case it's probably meaningless. I write bondage tales for my own enjoyment and for my friends. I post them now and then to share with others who may also enjoy them. The lack of comments and interaction with readers made me decide to stop posting on this site (and several others).

Anything that might lower the comment rate even further could potentially drive away other writers.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

MaxRoper wrote: 2 years ago I'd like to add anther 'No" vote to this, although in my case it's probably meaningless. I write bondage tales for my own enjoyment and for my friends. I post them now and then to share with others who may also enjoy them. The lack of comments and interaction with readers made me decide to stop posting on this site (and several others).

Anything that might lower the comment rate even further could potentially drive away other writers.
It's probably not going to be implemented anyways. The mod that I liked previously is no longer being supported, and it will be risky to install an out of date mod (the last update happened in 2016).
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TomYi »

chadmc90 wrote: 2 years ago It's probably not going to be implemented anyways. The mod that I liked previously is no longer being supported, and it will be risky to install an out of date mod (the last update happened in 2016).
That's really unfortunate to hear. Are there any available mods that are more recent?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic