Some form of 'beta' stories forum?

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
wrathofcon
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Some form of 'beta' stories forum?

Post by wrathofcon »

Im not very used to writing stories relating to bondage, and am oretty nervous at how my stories might compare to some of the (really great) materail on here. Could there be a forum specifically dedicated to proof reading and making suggestions to stories that are current wips?
Ill render you speechless ;) ...
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]wrathofcon[/mention]
Welcome back to the forum, mate! Nice to see [mention]Jason Toddman[/mention] and I aren't alone on here anymore. Wonder whatever happened to Dax, Weyoun and LtCmdrData from the old board. Hopefully they're not caught up in some causality loop.

This is certainly a new and interesting idea. I'm surprised (not really) this thread hasn't received any traction or comments from the readers yet.

After giving this some thought, I cannot voice my support in favour of this initiative.
I do not think your idea is bad, per se, but IMO having a beta board would defeat the purpose of this entire forum in the first place. This is a place for readers and amateur authors to come together and share their works, thoughts and ideas. In essence, this entire forum is a like a public sketch book.

It's important to remember that "great material" is highly subjective and that a large portion of stories posted here are "works in progress". You don't need to have experience writing bondage stories in order to tell a good tale.
You have nothing to fear, nothing to lose.

Whatever is decided, I hope you will choose to share you work with us at some point.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

wrathofcon wrote: 6 years ago Im not very used to writing stories relating to bondage, and am oretty nervous at how my stories might compare to some of the (really great) materail on here. Could there be a forum specifically dedicated to proof reading and making suggestions to stories that are current wips?
bondagefreak wrote: 6 years ago
I do not think your idea is bad, per se, but IMO having a beta board would defeat the purpose of this entire forum in the first place.
I agree with BF on this idea. By placing your story in a beta section, you would in effect be inviting people not to read it. And the subject matter is important too. I'm much happier reading a mediocre m/m story than i am a good or even near-great f/f story, for instance. And with a little practice and enthusiasm and encouragement a new writer can improve quite rapidly.
However, that doesn't mean you can't ask for tips and suggestions on the stories you do post in the regular story forums. As long as you can take honest (and from some people rather blunt) but constructive criticism and welcome it rather than get discouraged by it, you don't need a special tutorial session. I myself used to be a professional editor (albeit mostly for non-fiction articles), and can help you improve over PMs if you lack the self-confidence to post your stories publicly without some prior help. At least, within reason.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

A suggestion:
We are considering ranks at the minute and there have been suggestions for such that are not related to post count. Could we, perhaps, make a 'rank' of "Beta Buddy" for people who volunteer to be contacted by members via pm? We could even ask writers whom we consider might be qualified to join the rank.

What do you think, [mention]chadmc90[/mention] [mention]Jason Toddman[/mention]?
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

I'm not either of the guys you asked but think Beta Buddies might be a good idea. I would volunteer for such duty.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

MaxRoper wrote: 6 years ago I'm not either of the guys you asked but think Beta Buddies might be a good idea. I would volunteer for such duty.
Nevertheless, thanks for replying. If we go ahead, we have our first volunteer.
LK3869
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LK3869 »

Beta buddies or not (it does sound great tho, "BBs" :) ), there is always the simple possibilty to edit your own stories if you decide a comment is pointing at something that you agree could make your story better. I do endless editing, even in my comments.
So agree the issue is real but a beta section would indeed not serve the purpose. Lots of stories already and that will
certainly lead to some displaying or easy access concerns if that posting rate is to keep going steady...
don't run ! I'm friendly ...
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Xtc wrote: 6 years ago A suggestion:
We are considering ranks at the minute and there have been suggestions for such that are not related to post count. Could we, perhaps, make a 'rank' of "Beta Buddy" for people who volunteer to be contacted by members via pm? We could even ask writers whom we consider might be qualified to join the rank.

What do you think, @chadmc90 @Jason Toddman?
Pretty much what i was volunteering for, i think. :D
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Yes, I have often given members' work the once over but I believe we both share a VERY similar focus in our interests. If we could open the field to those whose interests are somewhat different, there would be more opportunities for members to find a "Beta Buddy" with similar interests to their own.
jayarieldrillowup
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by jayarieldrillowup »

I volunteer as a tribute Beta Buddy lol.
'And behold one arose who once was thought to be dead and he spoke saying,"Heaven said I was too evil and hell said I was too good." Now he wanders forever as an immortal with magic as his birthright and as his curse.'
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

Xtc wrote: 6 years ago Yes, I have often given members' work the once over but I believe we both share a VERY similar focus in our interests. If we could open the field to those whose interests are somewhat different, there would be more opportunities for members to find a "Beta Buddy" with similar interests to their own.
However, I do have a lot of practice reading stuff that doesn't interest me too much. After all, an editor doesn't get to pick and choose what he edits, and i made a living of it for years... though usually in subjects i already had at least some competence in.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

Yes, we can make a proofreader rank. We should discuss soon the possible ranks we will have to replace this post count ranks.
Jason Toddman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Jason Toddman »

chadmc90 wrote: 6 years ago

Yes, we can make a proofreader rank. We should discuss soon the possible ranks we will have to replace this post count ranks.
Sounds fine to me.
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

When you post a story, you invite critique, and that means your work can be praised or panned.

If you put it up here, remember that by doing so, you asked for commentary, so don't get upset when you get it.

Drawscore
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

drawscore wrote: 6 years ago When you post a story, you invite critique, and that means your work can be praised or panned.

If you put it up here, remember that by doing so, you asked for commentary, so don't get upset when you get it.

Drawscore
True, but that only counts once the story has been posted. Some members would appreciate a bit of support before dipping their toes in the water. Without the facility, we might be denying ourselves valuable contributions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic