Jennifer : 29 - The Pioneering Experience (mmmm/f)

Post stories from past authors here. Remember to give credit where credit is due!

Moderator: Archiver

Soraka
Archiver
Archiver

Jennifer : 29 - The Pioneering Experience (mmmm/f)

Post by Soraka »

Jennifer's stories
29 - The Pioneering Experience
Story index at the bottom

By Jennifer

by jennifer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Pioneering is the art of building things out of poles and ropes. There were 4 scouts in the troop that had taken the badge that summer. Well, part of passing the badge was they had to engineer a project. Well, the four scouts came up with this carrying platform. It was basically two twelve foot poles with a 18 poles each about 3 feet in length lashed across the middle of the two spars similar to a raft to form a platform that the four of them could each take a corner of and carry something around with. It had taken them about 2 hours to make and they had loaded it up with gear and taken it down to the counselor only to have it rejected. The counselor wanted something with a higher degree of functionality to it.

It was a warm summer day, I was dressed in an overall denim jumper, a short sleeve t-shirt and t-strap style leather sandals. I had been watching them work hard on the project all afternoon only to see it not get approved and them to finish their merit badge. I decided to go over and offer some advice.

"Why don't you guys put a cage on top of it? That way you could transport a prisoner around?" I suggested looking at them.

They threw the idea around back and forth between themselves for a few minutes and actually thought it was a pretty good one. The four boys set to work building the cage out of poles and ropes. They made a box on top of the frame that was 3 feet wide, 3 feet high and 4 foot long. Pretty small, but they wanted to keep the weight down on it. They ran some smaller diameter sticks across the openings and lashed them in place. They ran a smaller stick every 8 to 10 inches or so. Then they lashed short poles across the longer poles to make bars that looked like a letter T with square openings. The squares were about 8 to 10 inches across at each point. Large enough a prisoner could stick a hand out, but not slip through them. The final piece was a lashed door that hinged up and down on some rope hinges.

It took them another hour and a half to finish the cage and about a mile of rope. But, it was pretty sturdy and after some testing the boys quickly learned that it would take the weight of one of them sitting on the roof of it.

"Pretty good, this will get us the requirement for sure." Brandon commented. "But we still need a prisoner for inside the cage, and it cannot be one of us because we need to carry it." The four boys looked at me.

Thirty second later, the two older ones of the group came at me and grabbed ahold of me. They were 15 and 17 years old and I didn't offer much resistance. They decided to tie me up so I couldn't escape or try to slip out through one of the openings in the cage. The eldest boy held me down while the other three tied me up with some clothesline they had left over from building the cage. They crossed my wrists behind my back and square lashed them together. My upper arms were wrapped and cinched off with ropes as well. After tying my hands they let me sit up. However, they tied my legs at the ankles as well as above and below the knees.

After I was tied up, they put me inside the cage and lashed the bottom of the door shut with another piece of rope. The four scouts each took a corner of the contraption and lifted me and it up off the ground and began the long march across camp. It was over a mile to where the merit badge counselor had his station set up and between me and the project the boys were probably carrying 250 pounds. It was a bit of an uneven ride as the two boys in the front held the cage a little higher than the ones in the back and they marched over some uneven terrain. I struggled against the bonds a little bit at the start, but I couldn't free myself. The boys had spent the previous 4 days learning how to tie logs together to take a great amount of resistance. The struggles of an 11 year old girl didn't make much headway.

I consigned myself to my fate and just relaxed and enjoyed the ride as best I could. We got some pretty interesting looks from others passing by as we made the trip. It took about half an hour to reach the station. The merit badge counsellor was rather impressed with the project and gave the boys their requirement for it. He also thanked me for being a good sport. We spent about 20 minutes in the area where the badges were taught and I was tied up the whole time. We got some very interesting comments. One of the scouts from another troop wanted to poke a stick through the bars at me, but the eldest in our group protected me. After the requirement was signed off on, they boys left me tied up in the little box cage and carried me the mile back to our camp site.

They offered to let me out and untie me, but I made them carry me all the way back. Once we got back to camp, they set the cage down and left me tied up in it for about another 45 minutes before Brandon finally came over and let me out. It was a fun way to spend a Summer afternoon.

Jennifer

Last edited by Soraka 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Canuck100 »

Good story, glad that you reposted it
Druidofthewilds
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Druidofthewilds »

Tag your stories.
Soraka
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Soraka »

Druidofthewilds wrote: 6 years ago Tag your stories.
I don't have the time to read all the stories again. If it was tagged on the old board or I felt like reading it again, the tag will be there, otherwise someone else may add the tag.
Druidofthewilds
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Druidofthewilds »

Soraka wrote: 6 years ago
Druidofthewilds wrote: 6 years ago Tag your stories.
I don't have the time to read all the stories again. If it was tagged on the old board or I felt like reading it again, the tag will be there, otherwise someone else may add the tag.
I understand you maybe busy, or not have the will to read all the stories. But if you're the one who posted them, you're supposed to gender tag it. It's not an optional thing, or something you can just push off to the next person. You wanna post the story, then do a quick skim and put up the tage. It'll take maybe 5 minutes. If you have time to post the stories, you have time to do a quick scan. Which you should already do to make sure it still follows the rules, on the old board or not.
Solarbeast

Post by Solarbeast »

Literally took me about 5 minutes or less to learn that it was mmmm/f and it seems to be appropriate for the new site rules. I like that you are bringing back the old stories, but you have to remember the rules of this new site and follow them. Also remember it is not your job to be the official archiver for all of the stories. I wish I could help you but all the ways people said they could get stories back do not work for me.
rash357
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by rash357 »

Thanks for posting this - didn’t remember it at all!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic