Contest starts 21st June
Contest ends 19th July
brizz20
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

The Summer Job (MM/F)

Post by brizz20 »

“Why can’t we rob banks in the winter? It’d make the outfits more comfortable.”
“Would you shut up?” As annoyed as I was, I had to admit that Jerry had a point. We were both sitting in a car without AC wearing heavy black wool. That would be bad enough if it wasn’t midday in the middle of July in Miami, but lo and behold, here we were.
“And aren’t banks not a viable robbery anymore?” Jerry kept complaining.
I rolled my eyes and responded, “They are if you’re being paid a million dollars to clean out a single safe deposit box.” That shut him up. We waited for the car’s clock to strike 1 pm in silence, just as the instructions we were given said to do. Once the clock struck one, Jerry would go in, clear out box number 1138, return to the car, and I would drive us to a secure location, losing any tails along the way if necessary.
Finally, after what seemed like hours, the clock struck 1. Jerry grabbed his gun, pulled down his ski mask, and moved into the bank. I sat quietly and waited for him to return, watching inside the bank from across the street, so as not to draw any unwanted attention. It was hard to see what exactly was going on, but I could see that things were mostly going to plan. I saw Jerry disappear into a back room with some woman in tow. All was going according to plan.
But then some time passed. And then more time passed. I began to get worried. I heard sirens in the distance. I looked into the window. I tried to will Jerry out of the back before the cops showed up. Suddenly, Jerry burst from the back room, with the woman still in tow. Several police cars pulled up in front of the bank. The officers rushed in. Jerry saw this, and shot the glass out of the same window I was looking through, leaping through it with the woman slung over his shoulder.
He hit the ground running, barrelling towards me. I was so startled for a moment that I almost forgot to start the car. As he got closer I could see that the woman was bound hand and foot with rope. The cops ran out of the front of the bank and almost shot at him, but he had positioned the woman almost to act as a human shield, keeping them from shooting. He shot at their tires, popping a few, making my job easier.
Once Jerry got to the car, he dove into the back seat with the woman still over his shoulder. I didn’t even wait for him to close the door before I peeled out. I could see now also that the woman was blindfolded, as Jerry clambered up to the front seat. I could see police lights in the rearview mirror behind me. I weaved in and out of traffic as Jerry finally got situated in the passenger’s seat.
“What took you so long?” I asked him.
“I had to improvise,” he said, clearly annoyed.
“I thought the instructions said not to improvise?”
“Well, the instructions didn’t say anything about some lady nearly clawing your eye out.” I looked over at him for the first time. He had a decent gash next to his eye, but he was definitely being overdramatic. Nevertheless, he was bleeding, and also searching through the glove compartment for something to stop the bleeding.
“Hey,” I said, “what was in the box?”
“Dunno,” Jerry replied, not looking up.
“You don’t know? Did you even get anything out of there?”
“Like I said, I had to improvise.”
“What does that mean?”
“It means I ripped the whole box out of the wall.”
“How in the Hell did you do that?” I swerved to avoid some pedestrians, as I had been driving on the sidewalk, causing the woman in the back to fall on the ground. She let out a grunt and reminded me of her presence.
“I just pulled it out. It wasn’t very secure.” Jerry said.
“Cool.” I turned my attention to the woman. “Hi. How ya doin? Is the air okay?” She didn’t reply, seemingly out of spite.
“I don’t think that it’s an appropriate time to be snarky,” Jerry snapped. “Just lose the cops already.”
“Right.” I made a sharp, skidding turn down a narrow alley that was scraping the paint off of the mirrors. A cop car entered the alley on the other side, facing our car. It stopped right outside of the mouth, blocking the path out, but still allowing the cops inside to get out and aim their guns at us. I quickly stopped and threw the car in reverse as bullets pelted the windshield.
“Good plan,” Jerry said, seemingly unfazed.
“Shut up.” I skirted out of the alley and almost clipped another cop car trying to cut us off from behind. I took off away from them still in reverse, driving into oncoming traffic. I quickly whipped around and sped off leaving the cops in my dust. I kept driving until I could no longer see the lights in my rearview mirror.
I pulled up to the building where we were to meet our employer. Jerry climbed out and grabbed the woman from the back, again slinging her over his shoulder. I had no idea what to expect of the place, so I was surprised to find a relatively comfortable-looking lounge on the inside. I could also see a sort of dining room off to my right, but I immediately plopped down on the couch while Jerry set the woman down next to me before disappearing into the dining room. She was wearing reasonable business attire, a tight black skirt, red blouse, and she was barefoot. I assumed she had been wearing heels, and had lost them in the pandemonium.
She sat next to me and struggled lightly next to me. She let out some low grunts under her gag as she lightly twisted and turned in her spot. She was still blindfolded, so naturally she had no idea that I was watching her. I had a funny feeling though that she didn’t really care. Her long blonde hair was considerably messier than it had been at the beginning of the day.
Jerry returned a few moments later with a hard-backed wooden chair, which I guess he grabbed from the dining room. He sat the woman down in it with her arms behind it. He then tied a rope around her torso, pinning it to the chair before pulling her feet under the chair and tying a rope that connected them to her hands so that her toes were just barely touching the floor. Finally, he pulled his ski mask out of his pocket and stuffed it in her mouth before using a bandana he had to cleave gag her.
The woman moaned under her gag and struggled with more intensity. Jerry sat down next to me on the couch. “Now what?” he said.
“Now we wait,” I said. He nodded and turned to the woman and we both watched her for a moment. She struggled for several moments before resigning to her fate as a prisoner. We waited for several minutes before a phone rang from another room. I got up to go find it. I picked it up and heard a disguised voice on the other end of the line.
“Hello, Tom,” it said. “Good job today. Both of you. I’m a little disappointed that things didn’t go exactly according to plan, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.”
“Yeah,” I said. My mouth was unnaturally dry. I hadn’t even told Jerry my real name, and I had never spoken to this person before in my life. “So when are we getting paid?”
“That’s exactly what I was going to discuss with you. In the dining room, there is a cupboard. It has a false bottom. Inside it is a million dollars for each of you. Leave the contents of that box in the false bottom and I will retrieve it later.”
“Sounds good. What about the woman?”
The voice chuckled. “Rebecca? You can leave her exactly where she is. I’ll pick her up when i come to get the box. I have some… friends who will be very interested in her.”
“Oh.” That’s all I could say. I realized exactly what was going to happen to her.
“I’ll tell you what. I’ll give you a little bonus if you do me one more favor.”
“Leave her hogtied on the dining room table and replace her gag with a ballgag. There’s one in the desk right next to you. Don’t let Jerry do it.”
“You got it,” I said, not totally convinced myself.
“I look forward to working with the both of you again.” the voice said. Then there was a click, and then silence.
I walked out into the lounge to find Jerry tickling the poor girl’s feet. She was trying to remain stoic, but couldn’t help but laugh.
“Knock it off,” I said. Jerry looked up and saw the ballgag in my hand.
“You preparing for this?” he asked with a smile.
“No,” I said. “Boss’s orders. He also wants me to hogtie her on the dining room table for some reason.”
“Weird. Hey, he’s paying, isn’t he?”
“Yeah.” I untied the connecting rope and threw the woman over my shoulder. She was lighter than she looked. I carried her into the dining room and then set her on the table. I pulled her still bound feet up behind her and connected them to her hands, completing the hogtie. I pulled out her gag. I was about to put the ball in when she spoke.
“Wait,” she said. It was the first words I heard her say. “You don’t have to--” I cut her off by shoving the ballgag into her mouth. She whimpered as I buckled it, fighting my better judgement. I knew that she would talk me out of leaving her there, and I also knew that if I did that the law enforcement would be the least of my troubles.
I opened the cupboard and removed the false bottom. There were two bags of money. Jerry came up behind me and said, “One for each of us?”
“Yeah. They have our names on them,” I replied. “Leave the box in there, he said.” Jerry nodded. He took his money, put the box in, and then stood up. I grabbed my money and put the bottom back on, all the while trying to tune out the poor woman’s whimpering and thrashing behind me.
“What do you think’s in there?” Jerry asked. I kept looking at the cupboard, trying to avoid looking at the woman behind me, thrashing for her life.
I shook my head. “Don’t know. Don’t care.”
“Fair enough. I’ll see you around.”
“Yeah. See ya.” I heard Jerry exit the building. I like to think that Jerry took his money and used it to lie low in some paradise, but I know better than that. I never did see him or hear from him again. I kept looking at the cupboard. Eventually I turned and looked at the woman behind me. I walked to the doorway, and turned back at her one more time. She was still struggling up a storm and thrashing away at her bonds. I turned away and turned off the light, leaving her in darkness.
I walked out of the building and walked about half a block down the street. I turned back and looked at the unassuming brick building with incredible remorse. I walked all the way to the beach with my money in hand. I took out a single stack of 100s and threw the rest in the ocean. I got on the first plane to anywhere and never looked back.