What characteristics do you consider when choosing a gag?

Post polls here.

Ability to silence the wearer
15%
Ability to muffle the wearer
18%
Aesthetic appearance
22%
Comfort/discomfort
13%
Humiliation factor
11%
Original purpose (is the gag purpose made e.g. a ball gag, or is it makeshift like a scarf?)
6%
Safety (could it be quickly removed?)
7%
Familiarity/Unfamiliarity
1%
Speed of application (quickly applied, or long drawn out application)
7%
Other (comment below)
1%

Total votes: 302

WillHBonney
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by WillHBonney »

Typically the main purpose of a gag is to silence the wearer. However, from reading numerous stories and posts on this board I've noticed that actually personal preference in gags can depend on a number of different factors and not only on it's ability to silence.

I thought it would be interesting to see what different characteristics people consider when choosing a gag (whether it's for you or your captive to wear).

After voting, it would be cool to know what your favourite gag is and how your chosen characteristics apply to that gag.

(Also, for this poll I would consider stuffing to be a part of the gag)
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

EDITED 16 JUNE.

Most gags are for mostly aesthetic purposes; to create the impression or appearance of helplessness. In reality, most cleave gags can be pushed out with the tongue.

Of course, if you really want to keep someone quiet, you stuff his/her mouth, then wrap duct tape several times around the head, over the mouth. The only problem with this, is that any time the mouth is stuffed, be it with paper, cloth, or whatever, it can be dangerous. There have been instances of chokings or near chokings, even when the "captive" is open to the idea of having his/her mouth stuffed. If you do this, the "captive" must NEVER be left alone, and, at the very first sign of even the slightest distress, the gag comes off, period, exclamation point, end of discussion.

Hey, these are games. Games are supposed to be fun. The captive should be having as much fun as the captor. When it stops being fun for the captive, it becomes abuse, and that's not good.

I, personally, like cleave gags - bandanas, bandages, scout neckerchiefs. Red and yellow go together well. A captive wearing a yellow T or sweat shirt, looks good gagged with a red neckerchief or bandana.

I seriously doubt if a kidnapper or crook would "color coordinate" a gag. Movie and TV producers might, but in the old days before color TV and movies, it really didn't matter. Black and white movies and programs sort of left the color of the gag up to the imagination of the viewer. Most appeared dark, and thus, were assumed to be blue, but a new red bandana can also appear dark when filmed in black and white. Usually the design gave away the fact that it was a bandana.

Continuity errors sometime creep in and go unnoticed until the product is aired. In an episode of "Rin Tin Tin," (The Raw Recruit) Rusty is gagged with what appears to be a yellow scarf, and, is in fact yellow, in the colorized version. But where did it come from? It wasn't Rusty's. He was wearing his around his neck. The recruit, Jed, was gagged with a bandana, after being forced to change clothes with one of the crooks, and the crook was wearing Jed's neckerchief. To maintain continuity, Rusty should also have been gagged with a bandana. Oh, well. Hindsight is always 20/20. Perhaps the yellow gag was thought to go well with Rusty's blue uniform, but if it's me, I'm going to gag him with his own scarf.

And, this is just an observation, but in the "Daniel Boone" episode, "For a Few Rifles," Israel is captured by Indians, but for most of the episode, is not gagged. In the last 10-15 minutes, he gets gagged with a thick yellow scarf, and I just couldn't help wondering if that gag was a left over prop from "Rin Tin Tin," or some other western program or feature that featured blue uniformed cavalry troopers. The three other times Israel got gagged, were with bandanas - twice with red, and once with blue.

Drawscore
Last edited by drawscore 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
dl68
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by dl68 »

I agree that most gags are symbolic, certainly those in the movies and on TV. I like to be gagged with Scout neckerchiefs every time. One adult sized one is adequate for filling the mouth. A second can be rolled up, knotted in the middle and tied through the mouth preventing the packing being pushed out. A third can be tied under the chin and over the head to keep the jaw closed and the final one tied tightly OTM. All matching scarves of course.
ducttapefan
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by ducttapefan »

Personally I think a good looking gag can actually make a scene much better than a very effective gag
RopeBunny
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by RopeBunny »

Good poll :D

For me a ballgag is, always has been, a personal favourite.

Which isn't to say I won't use/enjoy other methods.

I clicked comfort/discomfort. Because one of the things I like about the ball is the level of discomfort. The potential for drooling. How it feels wedged and secured in the mouth.

I clicked the visual too. I like how a ballgag looks. It looks like it's doing its job, if that makes sense to anyone?
SwitchStruggle
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by SwitchStruggle »

What’s important to me in a gag is both aesthetic appearance and ability to Muffle the wearer. I prefer muffle over complete silence as I love the struggling aspects of bondage and want to hear the captives gagged moans. But I also want them to look good while struggling.
BondoFox
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by BondoFox »

When gagging, I want her to not only be gagged, but to know that she's gagged!
Nexus
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nexus »

SwitchStruggle wrote: 2 years ago What’s important to me in a gag is both aesthetic appearance and ability to Muffle the wearer. I prefer muffle over complete silence as I love the struggling aspects of bondage and want to hear the captives gagged moans. But I also want them to look good while struggling.
Pretty on board with this. I enjoy muffled noise and aesthetics. That said I enjoy most range of gags, ball, cleave, tape...
WillHBonney
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by WillHBonney »

BondoFox wrote: 2 years ago When gagging, I want her to not only be gagged, but to know that she's gagged!
I'm intrigued to know how you achieve this :D
Tieup1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tieup1 »

I voted for 1 Safety, 2 Comfort, 3 Aesthetics. I think its important to look after your captive, there must be a good trust between you, so that bondage games, are fun, and safe. 8-)
Tights tights tights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tights tights tights »

To me the gag has always been the essential part of tying up. Tie ups are just not the same without the gag and hearing muffled moaning sounds.

As much as I crave muffled moaning sounds, safety and comfort are what I have also voted for along with aesthetics.
HHHMMMPP mmnnpph mmpph nnnpph hmm hmmm mmmnnn hhhmmhhpp
BondoFox
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by BondoFox »

WillHBonney wrote: 2 years ago
BondoFox wrote: 2 years ago When gagging, I want her to not only be gagged, but to know that she's gagged!
I'm intrigued to know how you achieve this :D
Love to show you sometime ;)

All seriousness aside, it's a question of gagging her so anything she tries to say or scream is thoroughly muffled. In my DiD play that's usually making sure I've stuffed her mouth, usually with a good-sized wadded cloth (I really need to try a Nerf ball someday), and I recommend having her roll her tongue back first so there's no danger of a corner slipping into her throat, in fact make sure you've brought the corners into the center of the wad and/or have them closer to her teeth.

A good thick scarf or cloth strip will not only hold the packing in her mouth but will also hold her mouth open and help muffle her.

Or taking a roll of tape, duct tape usually but I've done it successfully with electrical tape also as well, tape over her mouth and wound around her head and over her mouth at least six times. Word of warning: Hold her hair up out of the way! Professional riggers have tricks for easy and quick removal of tape from her hair in what they produce, you probably do not! Do not try to imitate them! (Captain Scarlett, we salute you) Women love their hair and if you ruin it or force them to have it cut above the tape level, you're most likely going to lose a playmate. Keep the hair up and wrap it over the upper nape of her neck, she'll look just as hot gagged with her hair down around the tape as she would with the tape over it.

Do it right and she'll be lucky if anyone could hear her in the next room :)
Silkenvixen
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Silkenvixen »

Tights tights tights wrote: 2 years ago To me the gag has always been the essential part of tying up. Tie ups are just not the same without the gag and hearing muffled moaning sounds.

As much as I crave muffled moaning sounds, safety and comfort are what I have also voted for along with aesthetics.
I've said the same things! If you're not going to gag me, why bother tying me up!
Tights tights tights
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tights tights tights »

Silkenvixen wrote: 2 years ago
Tights tights tights wrote: 2 years ago To me the gag has always been the essential part of tying up. Tie ups are just not the same without the gag and hearing muffled moaning sounds.

I've said the same things! If you're not going to gag me, why bother tying me up!

Exactly!.. it's absaloutly pointless without the gag!.. it just dosn't have the same impact and atmosphere without the gag.

I also want to hear the victims moaning through their gags, or otherwise the gag is pointless!
HHHMMMPP mmnnpph mmpph nnnpph hmm hmmm mmmnnn hhhmmhhpp
Silkenvixen
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Silkenvixen »

Next to struggling I think that's the best part! :)
McMurdoPI
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by McMurdoPI »

I have often said that a smart girl's most dangerous weapon is often her mouth. It would be insulting to her intelligence to NOT gag her!

Silencing a conscious person is never really safe or possible but muffling is. A good stuffing, especially sponges and socks followed by a knotted cleave and then pvc tape or vet wrap wound over it works well. If you leave the knot of cleave gag exposed in the back, it can serves as a easy and fast safety release for the gag.

Aesthetics are important. If someone is going to be tied,it ought to be in such a way that looks nice. Gags should be treated much the same way.
Hello everyone! 32, m, Michigan, always willing to chat and help new folks get oriented.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic