CATCHY STORY TITLES: IMPORTANT OR NOT? (GENERAL POLL)

Post polls here.

DO STORY TITLES HAVE ANY SWAY ON HOW FAST OR HOW PRONE YOU ARE TO CLICKING ON THEM?

YES
78%
NO
22%

Total votes: 45

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CATCHY STORY TITLES: IMPORTANT OR NOT? (GENERAL POLL)

Post by bondagefreak »

TITLE SAYS IT ALL.

WHILE WE'VE ALREADY ESTABLISHED THAT THE FIRST 20 SECONDS (READING TIME) OF A STORY
ARE CRITICAL TO IT'S RECEPTION, THE MATTER OF STORY TITLES HAS RARELY COME UP.

THE QUESTION IS THIS:
GENERALLY SPEAKING, DO STORY TITLES HAVE ANY SWAY ON
HOW FAST OR HOW PRONE YOU ARE TO CLICKING ON THEM?

VOTE ON THE POLL AND EXPRESS YOURSELF IN THE COMMENTS SECTION!
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

ExcessivelyCurious
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by ExcessivelyCurious »

I put "yes" but it is more a "kind-of" for me. Catchy titles definitely draw my eye first but it's not mega-important; the first pagraph or so determines if I keep reading, and I do get round to ones without catchy titles eventually.
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

No is not entirely correct, but I feel like "Yes" would be more wrong. I mainly look if a story is not mature, and if it's m/m. Some titles are interesting enough to make me curious, but it's more the exception, than the rule.

Provided by bondagefreak
Click on the banner to get to the story

For more of my stories, click here.
DeeperThanRed
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by DeeperThanRed »

I voted for "yes", as in I'm much less likely to check out a story if it's something super generic like "kidnapped and tied up". Though I agree with [mention]ExcessivelyCurious[/mention] on one thing: there are so many stories in the M/M category that I read most of them anyway. So, at least in my case, a good title increases the chances of an early read and review more than anything. Also, I checked up a few F/F and F/M stories in the past because of intriguing titles even though the genres aren't usually my thing.

Speaking of which, I enjoy giving my stories "non-indicative" titles or ones that doesn't make it clear what sort of story the reader might expect. I like to think that this helps them stand out as works on their own even without the TUG elements but let's be realistic. If a reader is looking for a quick fix on a specific tie-up element like duct tape gags or hog ties, it's more likely that they'll be drawn to titles with those key words. Just something to keep in mind.
25-year-old bondage enthusiast who likes cute guys, underwear, and bondage, preferably together.

You can reach my list of written work here: https://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38808#p38808
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Tend to agree with [mention]FelixSH[/mention] but the author name (If it is an established one) is probably more important
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

DeeperThanRed wrote: 3 years ago If a reader is looking for a quick fix on a specific tie-up element like duct tape gags or hog ties, it's more likely that they'll be drawn to titles with those key words.
That has been one of my observations as well, my friend.
Tales with generic and cheesy titles (like the one showcased in my banner) seem to get a lot more views faster.

I've made the test about half a dozen times with my story titles (indicative vs non-indicative) and it seems like "indicative" wins every time.

Trying to assess whether this is grounded in facts or simply a case of mere coincidence.

The results of this poll will hopefully be of use to authors who want to maximize their views and reviews.

Xtc wrote: 3 years ago Tend to agree with @FelixSH but the author name (If it is an established one) is probably more important
Agreed.

Red86
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Red86 »

Generally speaking, yes.

I look for 3 things when scrolling down the story lists.
1. I look to see what the title of the story is.
2. I look to see if it's M/F, F/M, F/F, or M/M
3. I look to see who the author is.

While none of those are a deal breaker and doesn't stop me from reading a story, those are what I usually look for 1st.
MountainMan_91
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by MountainMan_91 »

hmmm, I actually had to think about it and realized it does influence my first clicks.

After reading good titles and authors - I might go back and check out any M/M tagged story regardless of title. And more times than not I am very pleasantly surprised with the story.

:)
Learning new things each day...

A list of my work...
tiedjay

Post by tiedjay »

Nah, the tag/category is more likely to influence me
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Hmm, I am torn on this subject. I would expect good titles to do well, and I would love to tell me that I click on good titles while browsing. However, I doubt this is true in general. I agree with bondagefreak that indicative titles do better, but there is some sweet spot: any term to general (say, bondage, gagged,...) does not attract a lot of extra viewers. For whatever reason, the one time I used the word "babysitter" in a one-shot, it got many more views while the quality of the story was not significantly better than my other one-shots.

So let's test the hypothesis that good titles attract more views. The two most recent contests are a good datasets to start with as 1) the stories are about the same age. 2) there are almost no replies which distort the view count. A few observations:
1) Most stories amassed about the same number of views. Especially in the February contest, the differences are small with a few outliers.
2) M/M, M/F,...do about as well. So the viewership is about equal for those stories or the contests are a bad place to measure this.
3) Names and ranks do not influence the view count much. (Past) winners do not outperm in terms of views and even those who put the story in their story catalog have no extra views. This is also means that the contest results do not send people towards the winning stories.
4) Indicative stories are not overperforming massively. In the November contest, few stories without replies have indicative titles while there a few in the February contest. All did somewhat better and are among the more popular stories. Yet, many non-indicative stories are up here as well. So indicative titles are not necessary for success, but they prevent a story from "failing" (in terms of view count).
sniffingyoursocks
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by sniffingyoursocks »

As I'm currently getting back "on" here more actively, I am, like many other seem to be as well, somehow divided.

Yes, it does somehow influence me on deciding if I'll read a story or not.
But then, it surely isn't the biggest part. Much more important are the included genders, and the author who is writing it (eg if I know the author writing a new story, it's much more likely that I'll read it.)
Socksbound
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Socksbound »

I clicked no, but that’s not entirely true. I first check the gender tag, before the title. I have a broad range of likes when it comes to tugs but have a solid need for m/m so the title doesn’t need to catch me to read it. That said there have at times been drawn to a title that has caught me eye.
See all my written works here :
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38747#p38747

Banner by Bondagefreak
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

I checked yes, but honestly the main influencer for me is the category and tag - I generally stick to the Adult section and male on male stories only. Still a catchy title may make its way to the top of my list sooner than others.

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
Pup Wingletang
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup Wingletang »

I went for 'no' as I think the title is quite low on the list when it comes to picking a story to read. Don't judge a book by its cover!

As others have said things like the author, gender tag and section have more impact.

Another big influence for me would be 'recommendation'. I've read quite a few stories because they have been commented on by other members who I know have similar interests.

I've also jumped on to stories following the banners/signatures of authors commenting on stories I've enjoyed.
A pup is for life but especially for bondage so get out the sleepsack and muzzle.

Don't miss out on the final chapter of Lovingly Zipped Up (M/M)

All my M/M stories can be found HERE.
squirrel
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by squirrel »

Genreally speaking: yes. But I pay more attention to the gender tag.

I think that there is a big difference between short stories and longer ones in this matter. If the story is short or focuses on one event, then the title should be as close to the plot as possible. If the story is long, has many chapters, events and characters - a more... neutral title would be better.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: SQUIRREL'S STORIES

bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

300+ VIEWS BUT ONLY 22 VOTES?
THAT'S GOTTA BE A MISTAKE, GUYS!

HOPE TO SEE ATLEAST 100 VOTES BY THE END OF THE MONTH.

AS YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED, THIS THREAD IS IN A NEW SECTION DEDICATED TO POLLS AND QUESTIONNAIRES. I'VE MOVED ALL THE LARGER POLL THREADS IN HERE, SO BE SURE TO LOOK AT THE OTHER THREADS IN THIS SECTION IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO.

drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

While the title might perk my interest, and get me to the opening lines, it's the first paragraph or two, that should reach out, grab me by the neck, and shout "READ THIS STORY!!"

You have to get the reader's interest and attention within the first paragraph or two; three at best. If you don't, you lose your reader.

Drawscore
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Must agree with [mention]drawscore[/mention]
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]drawscore[/mention]
That's basically a repeat of the second line on the opening post of this thread.
drawscore wrote: 3 years ago While the title might perk my interest, and get me to the opening lines...
Drawscore
I take it you voted "Yes" then.
Thanks for participating!

Sniffmyfeet
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Sniffmyfeet »

The title is the first thing to grab my attention, but there are other factors that play a huge role as well: who is the author? Is there a picture that I like? And who are the protagonists? What is the setting?
cj2125

Post by cj2125 »

An interesting title could certainly help get my attention but that's usually an add on. Usually I check the genders involved (usually M/M), if it's an author I know and the first few paragraphs of the story. Based on that list, the title would be in fourth place 😅
Rtj65
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Rtj65 »

As others have said, there are many other factors to consider beyond simply what the title of the story is. That said, it is still the first means an author has to grab the attention of a potential reader, and is something that I personally like to pay attention to before reading a story.

I think another thing to consider is that there could be different ways of defining a 'catchy' title. Some titles might say exactly what the story is about (e.g. the types of characters or kinks involved), while others might try to peak the curiosity of someone browsing the forum without giving away much about the nature of the story. I would imagine that both types attract different groups of readers, and that there is merit to both of them.

Long story short - I like a good story title, but it's not the be all and end all.
Male switch from the UK here, always up for a chat about anything TUGs related!

My stories
Causality (F/M) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9909
A Grey Area (M/F) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12604
rattybat
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by rattybat »

Rtj65 wrote: 3 years ago As others have said, there are many other factors to consider beyond simply what the title of the story is. That said, it is still the first means an author has to grab the attention of a potential reader, and is something that I personally like to pay attention to before reading a story.

I think another thing to consider is that there could be different ways of defining a 'catchy' title. Some titles might say exactly what the story is about (e.g. the types of characters or kinks involved), while others might try to peak the curiosity of someone browsing the forum without giving away much about the nature of the story. I would imagine that both types attract different groups of readers, and that there is merit to both of them.

Long story short - I like a good story title, but it's not the be all and end all.
That basically sums up my feelings towards titles as well. While they're not absolutely vital to catching my interest, they definitely can tilt the scale as to whether or not I choose to check out a story (after the initial click, it's all down to the quality of the story itself).
Avatar by Bondageincomics on DeviantArt.
Tales of Alan and Scott:
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 42#p165042
https://www.deviantart.com/rattybat2
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

I've made this suggestion before, but I think gender tags should be more descriptive, like M and F for 17+, and m and f for kids 9-16.

Drawscore
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

drawscore wrote: 3 years ago I've made this suggestion before, but I think gender tags should be more descriptive, like M and F for 17+, and m and f for kids 9-16.
Gender-tags have always (here and on every other website) been Capital letters for 18+ and small letters for 18-
The fact that some authors flout that (either knowingly or unknowingly) is a whole other issue that has virtually nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic