Historical Settings Survey

Post polls here.
Pup Wingletang
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Historical Settings Survey

Post by Pup Wingletang »

Understandably the majority of stories on here have a contemporary setting - it makes sense to write what you know! However, there are thousands of years of history and hundreds of different civilisations behind us, full of untapped potential.

So my question is:

WHICH HISTORICAL SETTINGS HAVE SPARKED YOUR IMAGINATION AND FUELED YOUR FANTASIES?

Comment below with the setting and what it is that you like about it. If you have an historical story that you want to share leave a link to it below.

Any and all historical fantasies welcome!
A pup is for life but especially for bondage so get out the sleepsack and muzzle.

Don't miss out on the final chapter of Lovingly Zipped Up (M/M)

All my M/M stories can be found HERE.
cj2125

Post by cj2125 »

Good question! Personally, my favorite setting would be Renaissance Italy. I think there's a lot of potential for story lines in a period characterized by intrigue, cut throat politics, warfare and wonderful (and very nude) pieces of art! (not to mention my own bias to that period from an academic point of view) That's why one of my favorite stories in this site is https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=32577#p32577 by [mention]EzraMarubayashi[/mention].

Another setting I'd like to see is the Caribbean during the XVII and XVIII centuries, the Golden Age of Piracy anyone? I'm surprised I haven't seen a story in that setting

And then of course is the more "common" setting of the Wild West. But I think everyone likes that one :lol:
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

I think a widely overlooked one is the time of the French and Indian Wars in the American Colonies, 18th century. American Frontier 19th century is a classic, of course.
Chris12
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Chris12 »

Its hard to beat the Middle Ages with its princesses, and squires and bandits. I personally always had a big soft spot for Greco Roman/sword and sandal bondage. The whole slavery thing adds many bondage possibilities.
DeeperThanRed
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by DeeperThanRed »

Kurosawa's movies made me want to see more stories set in Edo-period Japan. I think there is a lot of untapped potential in the setting, seeing how it's the origin of shibari, haha.

Agreed with [mention]Chris12[/mention], Islamic Golden Age is worth visiting. It's not something most Western writers pay attention to specifics, unfortunately. Baghdad during Harun al-Rashid's rule is iconic.

Also, not really "historical" maybe but a Roaring 20s TUG tale would be cool to read.
25-year-old bondage enthusiast who likes cute guys, underwear, and bondage, preferably together.

You can reach my list of written work here: https://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38808#p38808
cj2125

Post by cj2125 »

DeeperThanRed wrote: 3 years ago
Also, not really "historical" maybe but a Roaring 20s TUG tale would be cool to read.
Oh! The roaring 20's would be a cool setting too!
Pup Wingletang
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Pup Wingletang »

cj2125 wrote: 3 years ago
DeeperThanRed wrote: 3 years ago
Oh! The roaring 20's would be a cool setting too!
It's definitely a setting rolling around in my mind too!

I kind of think anything prior to when you were born could be classed as historical to you. Sadly I think this means anything pre the year 2000 could count for some of the younger members!
A pup is for life but especially for bondage so get out the sleepsack and muzzle.

Don't miss out on the final chapter of Lovingly Zipped Up (M/M)

All my M/M stories can be found HERE.
cj2125

Post by cj2125 »

Pup Wingletang wrote: 3 years ago I kind of think anything prior to when you were born could be classed as historical to you. Sadly I think this means anything pre the year 2000 could count for some of the younger members!
It's definitely a setting rolling around in my mind too!

I kind of think anything prior to when you were born could be classed as historical to you. Sadly I think this means anything pre the year 2000 could count for some of the younger members!

Well, history is relative. Modern shows set in the 90s are starting to be considered "period pieces" and I've seen 90's technology in a museum (that made me feel old! 😅)
KidnappedCowboy
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by KidnappedCowboy »

14th-15th century Italy...feuding merchant families vying for control of their city⚔️

19th century American West...Dakota, Apache, and Arapaho warriors raiding U.S. Army outposts...cattle rustlers.🤠🏹

18th century Russia...palace intrigues with all those guardsmen in elkskin breeches 👑

11th-12th century England...feudal barons and their retainers...the origins of the Robin Hood myth🏰🦌🌲🌳🛡⚔🌲

Cold War...spies just ripe for tying up and gagging 🕵🏻‍♂️🕵🏼‍♂️🕵🏽‍♂️

Ancient Egypt...mummification, anyone?𓀇𓀈𓀉
RaeGray4477
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by RaeGray4477 »

Middle Ages through to Renaissance for dealing with princes/princesses and knights and an old fashioned fairytale inspired kidnapping

Also can’t beat the day of the Old West because it was so common in Western movies and shows for tie ups
Kyle
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Kyle »

This is an interesting question. There are a few settings that often make me think of this:

-Medieval times, especially Europe: It probably helps so much of fantasy is at least heavily inspired by this time period, even though I'm not big into magic and fantasy anymore. But this seems to be where a lot of the traditional damsel in distress idea comes from, fair maidens and princesses getting kidnapped and taken away. There's a bit of real-life inspiration as well, as knights defeated in battle were frequently captured and held for ransom instead of being killed. There's plenty of good restraining scenarios here: bound and gagged and marched off as a prisoner, locked in the dungeon and shackled to the wall, stocks and pillories...

-Pirates: Specifically the more romanticized version of pirates from the golden age of piracy around the 16th-18th centuries. Kidnappings, walking the plank, and just the fact ships tend to have a lot of rope laying around. Tied up and locked in the hold, or tied to the mast for all to see?

-Wild West: Like pirates, there's usually rope involved, and this time, bandannas as well. Bank robbers tying up witnesses, kidnappings, and of course, bounty hunters.
MountainMan_91
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by MountainMan_91 »

Great poll!!

so many of what has been mentioned appeals to me too!

Especially medieval, and westerns... We have some of those stories on the board.

Which is more intruiging to me and also already mentioned is ancient Greece, Pirates and feudal Japan!

If anybody knows of stories in these settings let get them listed?
Learning new things each day...

A list of my work...
TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by TomYi »

I tend to avoid historical stories since most settings actually limit all the stuff my characters can do (and I'm not the biggest fan of cleave gags.

Duct tape? Invented during WWII.
Ball Gags? Who knows, but definitely a 20th century invention.

Any time period before that just eliminates so much possibility. Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler for historical accuracy, but if you're going to write historical fiction, I appreciate accuracy.
Kyle
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Kyle »

I always wondered if I was weird for making this association with certain time periods and settings. Now I see I wasn't alone, even for some of the specific ones I mentioned.
Alisonlovesropes
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Alisonlovesropes »

Mediaeval period because I've always imagined being tied JP in stocks with my bare feet on show.

Greek or Roman periods because they had slaves in chains and because the countries are hot I'd imagine being a barefoot house slave,

since seeing clips of red dead online I imagine being one of the barefoot novels getting tied up in the desert
Sometimes gagged, sometimes blindfold. Always barefoot.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

I'm honestly a little surprised (make that a LOT surprised) that no one here has mentioned the 8th-10th century Viking era!
Thralls, raids, prisoners, ropes & gags, socks, hypermasculine men, need I go on?
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Knuffe
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Knuffe »

For me has there been two intersting time periodes:
- the American civil war: I think you can Get alot of stories out of spies and love and lust.
- the Victorian times: set in London with upstairs abs downstairs. Power, conspiracy and romance.
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

It's a bit cliched now, what with over 100 years of movies and TV exploring it, but you just can't beat the Wild West. Rustlers, outlaws, banditos, the whole package. Lawless times with rugged men where ropes were everywhere.

And it goes without saying that I adore a good viking tale. But similar themes can be extended to other regions: barbarian raiders on the Central Asian steppes, for example.

There's also ancient Egypt/Greece/Rome. Slavery was commonplace so bound men was a regular occurrence (even in public). Lots of potential for restraint and dominance there.

And while it might not qualify as "history" yet, the whole 1940s Noir era is titillating, too. The nosy trenchcoated detective encountering the crimelord's thugs in the old warehouse district? Something about a bound and gagged man in a suit that you just can't beat.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

wataru14 wrote: 1 year ago And while it might not qualify as "history" yet, the whole 1940s Noir era is titillating, too. The nosy trenchcoated detective encountering the crimelord's thugs in the old warehouse district? Something about a bound and gagged man in a suit that you just can't beat.
I don't know if you're as big a fan of [mention]privateandrews[/mention]' videos as I, but I believe keeping those nosy trenchcoated detectives silenced and out of sight falls into his realm of his speciality 8-) Trust me, our friend makes short work of their cries for help and attempts at alerting authorities.
Bradstick
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bradstick »

I really like Egyptian history and think there are some great possibilities in that era. You got your obvious mummification which I personally love. But you also got a lot of slaves back then. Not to mention it was desert so everyone was hot and sweaty.

Another one is the American Midwest. You got hot cowboys on horses that know how to use rope. Can’t ever go wrong there.

I also like the idea of 1920-1940s mobsters. Those have a lot of good possibilities in general to have a lot of drama.
wataru14
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by wataru14 »

bondagefreak wrote: 1 year ago I don't know if you're as big a fan of @privateandrews' videos as I, but I believe keeping those nosy trenchcoated detectives silenced and out of sight falls into his realm of his speciality 8-) Trust me, our friend makes short work of their cries for help and attempts at alerting authorities.
Oh yes, I am subscribed to his thisvid profile. Lots of pure gold there!
Bradstick wrote: 1 year ago I also like the idea of 1920-1940s mobsters. Those have a lot of good possibilities in general to have a lot of drama.
Kinda makes me want to whip up a one-shot story (or maybe a two-shot). Need to put that on the burner and see what cooks up.
Bradstick
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Bradstick »

wataru14 wrote: 1 year ago Kinda makes me want to whip up a one-shot story (or maybe a two-shot). Need to put that on the burner and see what cooks up.
After your Viking story, I would love to see what you could do with a mobster story!
MissEscape
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by MissEscape »

Talking to someone about pirates just now has me thinking they would make great kidnappers...well, Disney type pirates, anyway....
JulieG
Millennial Club
Millennial Club
Location: Tied up and spanked over your knee, or in the dungeon tormenting you!

Post by JulieG »

1950s. So I can dress and be tied up and spanked like Betty Paige.
Kyle
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Kyle »

MissEscape wrote: 1 year ago Talking to someone about pirates just now has me thinking they would make great kidnappers...well, Disney type pirates, anyway....
They have a lot of rope on board, and they know how to tie it well. And, even the fantasy pirates are at least a little bit ruthless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic