Length of Stories

Post polls here.

Length of Stories

Depending upon how well versed one is in the English language, I was wondering what readers think about the length of the stories they are willing to read, presuming their interest has been piqued, and they have gotten past the first couple of paragraphs.
9%
1. Short (1-4 pages)
22%
2. Medium short (5-9 pages)
30%
3. Medium (10-17 pages) (Broken into parts/chapters, yes/no)
13%
4. Medium long (18-25 pages) (Broken into parts/chapters, yes/no)
7%
5. Long (26-40 pages) (Broken into parts/chapters, yes/no)
2%
6. Novella (41-60 pages) (Broken into parts/chapters, yes/no)
7%
7. Novel (61 pages or more) (Broken into parts/chapters, yes/no)
11%

Total votes: 46

drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Length of Stories

Post by drawscore »

How long should stories be?
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I can't really answer this. My reading depends more upon the length of posts (chapters) rather than the whole tale.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

As long as the author wishes it, of course.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

drawscore wrote: 3 years ago How long should stories be?
It's less the question of length as a question of quality and originality, tbh.

However, I grant it is a task to read through a finished 'epic' one from the start rather than following it step by step. Longer stories should not contain too long chapters. So, I like it in smaller pieces (single stories or chapters (posts) rather than uninterrupted longer ones.
All in all, I cannot really answer your poll.
Rtj65
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Rtj65 »

Nainur wrote: 3 years ago It's less the question of length as a question of quality and originality, tbh.
This kind of sums up my thoughts on this really. Although a longer story can be more daunting to read, if it's just as engaging as an equivalent short story then I'd still like to read it, even if that does demand more of my time.
Male switch from the UK here, always up for a chat about anything TUGs related!

My stories
Causality (F/M) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9909
A Grey Area (M/F) - https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12604
Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Canuck100 »

I enjoy long stories, but if it's a very long story, I prefer if it's broken down into smaller chapters, each chapter with its own post.

When I see a story that has 25+ pages of postings, I kind of get discouraged before even starting to read it - and will often miss out on awesome stories. But if it's broken down into separate posts, I find it more manageable and I am more likely to start reading it.
FelixSH
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by FelixSH »

As long as the story needs to be told. When I write, I write until the end, or a point that offers itself as a breaking point. But what I have to tell is just there, and feels right. Maybe there is too much later on, and I reduce it. But that all depends on the story.

I might think that I only want to write something that's two pages long, but it becomes five, because I realised that there is more to tell, and that I need additional details. You shouldn't restrict that at the start, just because readers might prefer a shorter length. Just include breaking points (chapters), so it's easy to take a break.

Provided by bondagefreak
Click on the banner to get to the story

For more of my stories, click here.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

Canuck100 wrote: 3 years ago When I see a story that has 25+ pages of postings, I kind of get discouraged before even starting to read it - and will often miss out on awesome stories.
Not to be an ass here, but aside from a single exception, there are no stories on this site with 25+ pages of postings on it.

Nainur wrote: 3 years ago It's less the question of length as a question of quality and originality, tbh.
Well said.
Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Canuck100 »

bondagefreak wrote: 3 years ago
Canuck100 wrote: 3 years ago When I see a story that has 25+ pages of postings, I kind of get discouraged before even starting to read it - and will often miss out on awesome stories.
Not to be an ass here, but aside from a single exception, there are no stories on this site with 25+ pages of postings on it.
25 might have been a bit of an exaggeration ... :D Didn't want to target you specifically. I really enjoy long, well-written multiple chapters stories like yours; i just find it easier to keep track of a story when it's broken down into smaller, more manageable chunks.

Case in point, I recently started reading "All in the Family". Awesome story, but each time I want to get back into it, I have a hard time trying to remember and find the point of the story I had reached the last time.
Alisonlovesropes
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Alisonlovesropes »

Generally for this sort of platform less.is more. 10 pages.plus are.difficult not.to.read,.particularly with all the comments.quotes etc . a story that long should be a book :D
Sometimes gagged, sometimes blindfold. Always barefoot.
Tieup1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Tieup1 »

My personal preference, is for stories to have short chapters, it's easier to digest, and gives us readers, a chance to comment. Also I also would like more regular updates on stories. I know this is not always possible, but it does help us readers to keep up with the story.

May I also say, that I find the story writing on this site, is of a very high standard. Probably better than on the old site, but that's just my opinion.
Arkane
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Arkane »

I voted for two categories, short and medium-short, that is, 9 pages maximum.
Still I can dig a longer story if it's really good and presented in shorter bits.
And I like "sequels" of a good story.

This said, in many cases even good stories here can become repetitive. Too much of the same stuff it's not good. If you've presented the good bits, then it's time to find a way to wrap it up and finish it.
Mask6190
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Mask6190 »

Length actually doesn't bother me. The stories I like show the interactions between the characters, and the binding process plus their reactions to it, but that's another matter of discussion.

As for writing, writing a short 1 chapter story or breaking a long one into shorter parts is ideal for me because it feels less overwhelming, and like a lot of members here, we have a life outside of the message boards :D
Minerva
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Minerva »

I think it's really important for stories to know when to end. Otherwise,length doesn't really matter. There are some stories here I wish were shorter,and some I wish were longer. I guess it just depends really.
DM's always open.
I draw stuff I guess:https://www.deviantart.com/minthebi
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Knowing when to stop is something we need to bear in mind at times.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

Canuck100 wrote: 3 years ago Awesome story, but each time I want to get back into it, I have a hard time trying to remember and find the point of the story I had reached the last time.
The only way I see around that (other than posting every chapter as a single story) is to create a folder for each of the few stories that have a large number of chapters and post each chapter as a separate item within that folder, that way you can probably easier find where you were. There are only a few really large stories. Example:

Board Index
- Adult stories
-- Story 1
--- chapter 1
--- chapter 2
--- chapter 3
-- Story 2
--- chapter 1
--- chapter 2
--- etc.

The writer would need to have the permission to add new chapters. Commenters/regular users would just be able to reply to each individual chapter. The main folder could be 'sticky' as a way of highlighting the larger stories.

I don't have enough phpBB knowledge to remember if there are other options.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic