Preferred Narration?

Post polls here.

What kind of narration do you like to read?

First Person (Me/My/We)
48%
Third Person (Him/Her/They)
52%
Other (please comment)
No votes

Total votes: 42

TomYi
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Preferred Narration?

Post by TomYi »

Just about every true TUG story is written in first-person narration, but third-person is another way to tell a story.

I'm wondering which kind you prefer to read on this forum? Feel free to explain your choice in the comments.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]TomYi[/mention] Very interesting poll! Thanks for starting this.
I've voted for "First Person" even though it's a hard call.
Honestly, I've enjoyed both types of narrations a lot throughout the years.

First person stories seem to have the added bonus of being slightly more relatable, especially if you're main character is a sub (or the one on the receiving end of the TUG/bondage). There are a lot of bottoms here, and I know for a fact that many of them find it a bit easier to relate to the main character if the story is narrated from a first person view.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

DeeperThanRed
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by DeeperThanRed »

I think both are good for different types of scenarios but I picked third person. I like it when TUG stories switch the roles and perspectives, third person feels like the best way of doing it.
25-year-old bondage enthusiast who likes cute guys, underwear, and bondage, preferably together.

You can reach my list of written work here: https://www.tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38808#p38808
BoundJana
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BoundJana »

That was actually quite a tough choice for me.

I prefer writing myself in First Person, but when it comes to reading I favorite Third Person, so that is what I voted.
What are you waiting for? Finally put a gag in my mouth and play with me!
Amm1973es
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Amm1973es »

Normally I write the third person directly automatically, it is easier to handle different scenarios from that perspective.
The first person even for stories with a single scenario can be equally interesting by not dealing with that complexity.
I am a man with the role of Rope top/Rigger, I have been attacked by the Tugs since I was a child. Both without sexual components, and with them within my limits.
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Good question, but I have to answer "All of the above". It really depends on the story and the ability of the author. I've also read a few good stories in second person/present tense ("You awake and find you can't move").
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Both first and third paerson have their places. Sometimes one is more appropriate/believable than the other.

But NEVER EVER second person. I do not need telling what I am doing, I am very aware of it being there at the time.

With slighhtly less shouting, tense is equally important. As soon as I see a story written in what is euphemistically termed the historic present, I think I am listening to an eleven-year-old.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Exelsia
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Exelsia »

I picked Third-Person, but I don't mind First-Person perspective. The latter is more fun to read because it's easy to relate to/imagine myself in it. But third person can also do what First-Person perspective can, except that in my opinion, Third-Person allows a bit more creativity when it comes to writing, since you take on the deity-like narrator's perspective and can go wild with descriptions and each character's inner thoughts.
What's better than the combination of a pair of skinny jeans, canvas belts and sneakers? One that involves ropes, duh.
Amm1973es
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Amm1973es »

There was a series of books that were published in my country with that style "choose your own adventure", I do not know if the same thing happened in your editions. But it was certainly sometimes shocking to read them.
I am a man with the role of Rope top/Rigger, I have been attacked by the Tugs since I was a child. Both without sexual components, and with them within my limits.
Amm1973es
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Amm1973es »

The first person is sometimes very useful for an introduction, "Sarah woke up tied and gagged in the cold of the store ..." and then go to the third person in the story "she was a university student interested in mystery novels and detectives ... "
That is a pretty useful trick sometimes.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Sorry, both are third person: other than you (second person) or I (first person).
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

[mention]Exelsia[/mention] That's precisely why I prefer writing from a first-person perspective.
It feels far more human. The third person (when used too liberally AKA "omnipresent deity style") allows the readers to know more than the characters actual themselves. It removes a lot of the mystery, and unless handled correctly, it can easily come off as unrealistic and thus, slightly less relatable.

I find a certain joy in writing first person, 'cause I can play with the audience's feelings a lot and even make them long for information that the main character isn't aware off. I can sway their opinions of characters X and Y, simply by allowing them to see events unfold through the main characters eyes.

It also adds complexity to the story when you don't have an omnipresent force (the author) revealing what all the characters are thinking. Such power is unnatural. I prefer to let my audience explore through human eyes, and get to know stuff the way they would in real life. It allows for more fears, insecurities and feelings and surprises.

Unfortunately, most of my readers stick to the story threads and pretty much ignore the rest of the forum unless I tag them. But I know I'm not the only user on here who has a special appreciation for well developed first person narration.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

Amm1973es
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Amm1973es »

Sure, I made a mistake, rather serious "I'm Sarah and I woke up tied and gagged in the shop ..." for a first-person introduction.
Anyway in the first person a story if it only focuses on a scenario can still be easy to handle, to include several is more complicated to include them without being forced.
Rather it depends on the history that is written, the convenience of one or the other.
Exelsia
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Exelsia »

bondagefreak wrote: 5 years ago @Exelsia That's precisely why I prefer writing from a first-person perspective.
It feels far more human. The third person (when used too liberally AKA "omnipresent deity style") allows the readers to know more than the characters actual themselves. It removes a lot of the mystery, and unless handled correctly, it can easily come off as unrealistic and thus, slightly less relatable.

I find a certain joy in writing first person, 'cause I can play with the audience's feelings a lot and even make them long for information that the main character isn't aware off. I can sway their opinions of characters X and Y, simply by allowing them to see events unfold through the main characters eyes.

It also adds complexity to the story when you don't have an omnipresent force (the author) revealing what all the characters are thinking. Such power is unnatural. I prefer to let my audience explore through human eyes, and get to know stuff the way they would in real life. It allows for more fears, insecurities and feelings and surprises.

Unfortunately, most of my readers stick to the story threads and pretty much ignore the rest of the forum unless I tag them. But I know I'm not the only user on here who has a special appreciation for well developed first person narration.
Oohh well said. When you put it that way, I really can't refute your points. Giving your audience the eyes of only one character certainly introduces a large opportunity for mysteries and discoveries, which adds to the thrill and suspense of the story. 👍
What's better than the combination of a pair of skinny jeans, canvas belts and sneakers? One that involves ropes, duh.
Deleted User 3750

Post by Deleted User 3750 »

I adore stories in the second person. They seem pretty hard to find but are a treat when I come across them
drawscore
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by drawscore »

I have written twice in the first person, through two different sets of eyes (a 14 year old, and a 10 year old). It's a little harder, and you have to remember that people, regardless of age, seldom talk formally. If you write their dialogue formally, it will sound "stilted."

There's a difference between "Scott walked over to Doug's house, and, after being let in, asked "What do you want to do today?" and "Scott bounded up the stairs to Doug's room. 'Hi, Doug!' he greeted his friend. 'Wha'cha wanna do today?"

Which one sounds more natural for a 13 year old? Or, for that matter, even a 23 or 33 year old?

Drawscore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic