Private Messages and Ranks

This forum is an archive of old announcements that no longer shown in the global announcements threads.
RachelM
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by RachelM »

chadmc90 wrote: 3 years ago Those users here to simply "chat and role play" were never our target audience to begin with.
But they're much of your audience anyway.
superbound
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by superbound »

I like the new restrictions in place, because *no means no* is absolutely correct.

But, I will be blunt. It's your board, and you can do what you wish, but, I would leave in a heartbeat if you disabled private messaging, and I think quite a few would, too. I have made connections with people over the years I've been here and there are certain things I don't want to talk about publicly.

I comment on stories that I like, and I even try to read stories that don't interest me and comment, to give feedback. But, I am in the Chat" category, and I am not ashamed of it. I have role played and I have made great connections over the years here, including someone that I bonded with so well, and went through a lot of personal trauma several months ago, and he was there for me every day, and talked to me every day. And we have bonded and going to meet in 2021 (when it's safe.) That may have not been your intention or purpose for this site.... but it is what it is. Everyone is different. Some will come here to share stories and some will chat and some will role play.
I get tied up for real and it's not fantasy for me.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

I don't treat the board as "my board", as I do seek approval from the team on changes to the board. I may be the primary host and site manager, but I do see the need in a democratic system.

And just to be clear: we are not targeting all role players. We are trying to isolate those RP spammers who harass new members. I do hope the new rules help. I know PMs are a much desired function of the board, but it is ripe for abuse if left unchecked. I hope the ones abusing the PM system wisen up and backoff new members. If you see and experience this, PLEASE use the report button and let us know. We obviously can't see PMs being sent across the board, so it is up to the community to help us fight this.
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

noggip wrote: 3 years ago Definitely a necessary measure, though I can’t help but see it negatively effect the health of the forum/the number of users dramatically. I’ve seen loads of new people join the server with a genuine interest in simply chatting and role playing and such, I imagine having them follow this new strict guideline will simply drive them away. Surely there’s an easier way to verify a new user? Maybe through a form or even just the ‘introduce yourself’ page?
Verify new users? Uhh...What are you talking about?
You obviously missed the entire discussion and my post explaining that this is being done to stop you guys from bombarding newcomers with messages and RP invites. Yes, I know...you were the 1st person to message my fake trial account with an RP invite within the first five minutes of me posting on the main Introduction thread.

We got a lot of complaints about this and told you guys to leave new users alone.
I even warned everyone (here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11585) that we'd be setting up fake accounts to see what some of the new users were complaining about. But of course, nobody listened.

So, that's what happens. When there's abuse, laws are put in place to protect against such things.
Now you guys will have no choice but to leave newly registered users alone and focus your "energies" on the hundreds of folks in the RP section who have proclaimed their desire to RP.

Oh no! Such a terrible fate...
Imagine that; having to RP with people who actually WANT to RP.
Sigh. Oh how cruel this world can be!

RachelM wrote: 3 years ago
chadmc90 wrote: 3 years ago
Those users here to simply "chat and role play" were never our target audience to begin with.
Please, tell me you're not that delusional.
You really think we care about potentially losing an audience that has never contributed anything to the board?

As you can see from the unanimous staff decision and from the broad support this is getting from active members who've praised the decision here, nobody cares.

Lurkers and frustrated fringe users who are only here to PM can leave "en masse" and no one who actively participates in the community will even notice their departure.

Snarky comments get snarky replies.
FOR A LIST OF ALL MY WRITTEN WORKS, CLICK HERE: BONDAGEFREAK'S STORIES

superbound
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by superbound »

Can I suggest that we please lock this thread? There are going to be some people that are not going to like this decision, but it's done and it's for the best. It's 2021. Time to continue to focus on the better and out the worst behind.

And Chad, I am glad you don't think the board is yours, but I applaud you for taking things by the horns and laying down the law. Proud of you.

Happy New Year.
Den
BoundJana
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BoundJana »

[mention]noggip[/mention] as [mention]bondagefreak[/mention] and [mention]Xtc[/mention] already mentioned, this is something we cannot do. We had left the PM section an undisturbed area for almost three years now, however recent activities, reports and complaints have forced us do take matters in our own hands.

We are not trying to boss you around on how you spend your time here, you can do whatever you want as long as it is in the site's rules. We had a lively discussion within the team, suggestions were made to completely close down the PMs, to only allow a certain number of PMs send per day, to a time/post limit. It isn't like 10 posts on the board is that much of a deal, read through a few stories of your taste and leave a bunch of nice words, then 10 posts are achieved quicker than you think.

And to mention [mention]RachelM[/mention]'s point, you got a fair point, there are many members here on the website who only use the PM function. And honestly, that's okay. As I mentioned, we are not bossing you around on how you spend your time here. But what we ask for is at least a little interaction here on the board, because, as [mention]Xtc[/mention] said rightly, the main focus of TUGs is, as mentioned in the name, stories about tie up games. Obviously, you can do other things here too, that's why this isn't solely a story board, this is why we have the TUGs Talk subforum and the PM ability. But all we, as the team, ask from those who are only here to chat/RP, is to put at least a little bit of interactive effort into our story forums. Not by writing stories, but by simply commenting on a few, so that our active authors don't stop feeding the site with the main focus: stories. Post ten times and then maybe post never again and spend the rest of your stay here in active private messaging, just do us and the community a favour and show a little activity in other forums other than the PMs.

tldr: We are NOT going to disable the PMs, 10 posts isn't that much of a deal.
What are you waiting for? Finally put a gag in my mouth and play with me!
BoundJana
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BoundJana »

[mention]superbound[/mention] this thread is in the Discussion subforum, if members wish to share their opinion on the new PM policy, they are always welcome to discuss this right here in this thread.

This is why it stays unlocked. Controversy always comes, instead of ignoring it we should discuss it. That's for what's this thread about, information and civilised discussion.
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

Come on people it takes like no time to make ten ACTUAL comments. Some of you act like they set the PM gate opening at 100 or required 5 comments a day or something. Ten is a fairly mundane amount that a lot of forums utilize to open up features to try and get around spammers
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Gagfan wrote: 3 years ago Come on people it takes like no time to make ten ACTUAL comments. Some of you act like they set the PM gate opening at 100 or required 5 comments a day or something. Ten is a fairly mundane amount that a lot of forums utilize to open up features to try and get around spammers
Very true!
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

bondagefreak wrote: 3 years ago
Those users here to simply "chat and role play" were never our target audience to begin with.
Please, tell me you're not that delusional.
You really think we care about potentially losing an audience that has never contributed anything to the board?

As you can see from the unanimous staff decision and from the broad support this is getting from active members who've praised the decision here, nobody cares.

Lurkers and frustrated fringe users who are only here to PM can leave "en masse" and no one who actively participates in the community will even notice their departure.

Snarky comments get snarky replies.
I mean, they might actually notice a difference. The site would run smoother without them taking up bandwidth traffic. It would be an improvement. 🤷‍♂️
superbound
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by superbound »

Alright, that's respectful and thanks for the kind reply back. But, if you can, please delete my comments off this thread? I have clicked numerous times to disable notifications on this topic and I still get e-mails and dings.

I promise I won't ask for anything else this year (yes I am making a 365 day promise. lol) Thank you, kindly!

BoundJana wrote: 3 years ago @superbound this thread is in the Discussion subforum, if members wish to share their opinion on the new PM policy, they are always welcome to discuss this right here in this thread.

This is why it stays unlocked. Controversy always comes, instead of ignoring it we should discuss it. That's for what's this thread about, information and civilised discussion.
Killua
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Killua »

I just want to say thanks to those who implemented the new rules. I was taken by surprise to see some stories I read weeks ago on top of the list again. But it's great to see people commenting on those stories. There were some very good stories which never got some comments. It's nice to see them on top of the list again so more people may find them and those stories get "a second chance".
Banner by Bondagefreak

My F/m Story:
Not as planned F/m
RachelM
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by RachelM »

bondagefreak wrote: 3 years ago Please, tell me you're not that delusional.
Cool, being a jerk about it and saying you don't give a shit about much of your userbase is exactly what you want to see in a mod or admin.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Cool, being a jerk about it and saying you don't give a shit about much of your userbase is exactly what you want to see in a mod or admin.
Whilst I might not agree with the way the remark was phrased, I would point out that this is a STORY board (unfortunate term there!) and anything other than stories and reactions (hopefully appreciative ones) to them are purely peripheral to the essence of what the site is intended for. Losing our writing userbase, now that would be a genuine detriment to the site.
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
chadmc90
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by chadmc90 »

Then where is this "large userbase" you are talking about? I just looked through the role play forum and most of the threads started there are request threads, and not actual role play games. Where are they at? Oh, they take place either over PM or in a third party service (i.e. discord). If much of that large userbase that you speak of is actually here, they are mainly only using this to hookup with other RPers. This site is not intended to be
a hookup/matchmaking service. Users who register for this site and go straight to the RP section to meet people and then take the RP sessions either to PM or discord add no value to the site. They are not contributing to the story sections. Why should we care about users who do not care to contribute to the community forum?
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I think that about sums it up, Boss.
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

I just don’t see how anyone is claiming Will ruin the board for anyone. Even if commenting on stories isn’t your thing, a simple trip over to the talk section reveals a variety of topics asking mundane bondage related preferences, how long can it possibly take to participate long enough to get ten posts? If you like roleplaying bondage surely you like discussing bondage with others right?

I’ll put it bluntly, I used to role play A LOT, isn’t really my thing anymore now that I have turned my attention to writing (which I know I should post more of my stories here they just never get much feedback so I always forget to lol): As a former role player, if one is so unwilling to put in minor effort like making ten legitimate posts then I question how much effort you would put into a roleplay. This is such a SMALL ask the admin team is making just to combat some abusive spammers. Those of you acting like they have put a crucible between you and PMing are being a tad ridiculous IMO
For my stories I haven't gotten around to posting here: https://gagfan.wordpress.com/
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

Thanks for that [mention]Gagfan[/mention] .

I thought I ought to clarify that we have absolutely nothing against role play in its rightful place on the site.

We just don't want legitimate writers and commentators frightened off by off-piste trolls.
RachelM
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by RachelM »

Then where is this "large userbase" you are talking about? I just looked through the role play forum and most of the threads started there are request threads, and not actual role play games. Where are they at? Oh, they take place either over PM or in a third party service (i.e. discord). If much of that large userbase that you speak of is actually here, they are mainly only using this to hookup with other RPers. This site is not intended to be
a hookup/matchmaking service.
Enjoy your shrinking site full of fake stories about 12 year olds suspending each other then. I'm sorry actually moderating instead of weird collective punishment is too hard for you.
Gagfan
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Gagfan »

a hookup/matchmaking service.
Enjoy your shrinking site full of fake stories about 12 year olds suspending each other then. I'm sorry actually moderating instead of weird collective punishment is too hard for you.
Come on being forced to talk about bondage on a forum devoted about bondage is punishment? Really?
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

I'm sorry you won't miss us [mention]RachelM[/mention] but please don't misrepresent us before you go.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Gagfan wrote: 3 years ago I just don’t see how anyone is claiming Will ruin the board for anyone. Even if commenting on stories isn’t your thing, a simple trip over to the talk section reveals a variety of topics asking mundane bondage related preferences, how long can it possibly take to participate long enough to get ten posts? If you like roleplaying bondage surely you like discussing bondage with others right?
Well written (no irony intended - having over 100 posts and not nearly ommented all stories/chapters I enjoyed reading - shame on me). Sme activity to a page headlined "stories" and not "RP-forum" is not too much asked for, tbh: no big deal, really.
geelcarl
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by geelcarl »

This is ridiculous but anyway I have posted 10 times and I can’t read the messages I have received
BoundJana
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by BoundJana »

[mention]geelcarl[/mention] please PM me and we will try to work on a solution. Be aware that the people who wanted to PM you have to have made 10 posts as well before they could send out messages.
HannaBarefoot
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by HannaBarefoot »

Not to disrupt any constructive conversation about the topic at hand, but I have a technical question. Does the promotion happen automatically, or does a mod need to do it manually? I have more than 10 posts but still am in Registered User land :?

And to add my own thoughts to the matter, I do see things being a little more lively! Normally I just stuck to PMs and chatting with others, but I'm glad I was more or less forced to step out of my shell for once and read around a bit more and also offer my comments and encouragement. Getting good discussions and stories going definitely has encouraged me to start contributing to the forum beyond what I am normally attracted to :)
One of us is going to end up barefoot, tied up, and gagged, so I hope you're ready!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic