Riders of the Midnight Sun (f+/f+) Chapter 19 Posted 2023-04-23

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
Ovi1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Ovi1 »

Another lovely continuation, I am curious to find out about Wild Nellie. Maybe not by following her storyline, but by encountering her again at some point in the future? Well, depends on how many storylines you want to juggle at a time ofcourse. I originally thought that, being a powerfull forest dweller, Wild Nellie had some kind of pact with the summer campers. But the previous chapter already showed how wrong I was about that.

The field of poppies was amazing, a very daring move by Sweet Becky, with a nice payoff.
I believe you would be a lot more comfortable in ropes
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

[mention]Ovi1[/mention] Oh, I definitely wouldn't rule out another encounter with Wild Nellie in the future.

Nah, she lived a quiet life in a remote part of the forest. If the Summer Campers knew she existed at all, they had no idea how powerful she'd grown through the magic of microtransactions and no-life grinding.

Thanks to Mineira1986 for the banner!

Check out my stories on deviantart: https://www.deviantart.com/shotrow
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Nice part! That field of poppies was quite a nice idea which is only possible in such a story: Escaping by abusing the game mechanics.
Mineira1986
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Mineira1986 »

Well, look at that twist.

Sweet Becky puts her knowledge of the Happy Trails universe to some good use. Nice. I wasn't expecting to see Wild Nellie falling that quickly, but it's intriguing. Sweet Becky is also smart, as she knows she cannot trust Shy Sarah. Not sure if there will be another twist soon, but for now, the girls need to escape together. Good work.
trainer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by trainer »

Great chapter!!

The more I read the more I want to see Sweet Becky and Shy Sarah end up caught and sent to jail or wherever for their bounties! Haha not sure why but I think that would be a fitting end to their stories :P
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Thanks everyone. I'm actually glad that people thought the field of poppies was clever rather than a deus ex machina.

Next chapter might not be for a bit. Been sick, but I'm on the mend now, thankfully.

As I said before, I won't say what I have in store for Shy Sarah and Sweet Becky, but I'd be curious to know why people are rooting against or for them.

Mineira1986
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Mineira1986 »

My take would be... I'd want to see Sweet Becky captured. Since it was established that she had a bounty on chapter 2, it wouldn't be that forced if she ended up at Lady Maybelle's prison. Maybe Shy Sarah doesn't finish the job and Lady Maybelle sends someone else. Or at some point, Shy Sarah does captura Sweet Becky, maybe?

Just a question: if they get to the 10 hours reset and they are in prison, when they come back, are they still in prison? Or do they spawn somewhere else?
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Mineira1986 wrote: 1 year ago Just a question: if they get to the 10 hours reset and they are in prison, when they come back, are they still in prison? Or do they spawn somewhere else?
Thanks for the worldbuilding question. :3 They log in to the prison until their sentence is up. I guess I never made that explicitly clear, but I tried to convey it in the first chapter with Sweet Becky explaining that it's only possible to hold someone prisoner for longer than a day if they've committed a crime. Also, with the way that the girls left Pretty Polly tied up in her cell, she'll be untied the next day even if she doesn't struggle free, but she'll still be in prison.

If not in prison, they'll respawn back at a "home" point they set themselves with some as-yet-unspecified limitations. Even if they're being transported by a bounty hunter, they'll escape and be sent home if the session ends before they arrive at the prison. That makes collecting a bounty from someone far away from the place where they committed the crime challenging. Lady Maybelle had to offer Shy Sarah a considerable bonus above what the system calculated Sweet Becky's bounty to be to make it worth her time to bring Sweet Becky such a long way.

trainer
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by trainer »

Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago As I said before, I won't say what I have in store for Shy Sarah and Sweet Becky, but I'd be curious to know why people are rooting against or for them.
I don't know if there is a specific personality trait that is getting me to root against them, I guess I have a sense of justice on this so since it was established that she did do something bad then it be right for her to end up in prison. Plus her getting caught and locked away from her perspective writing-wise would be a pretty exciting read.
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Chapter 7
"So, what's the plan, boss?" Shy Sarah asked smugly as she leaned with one hand against a tree. About nine paces away, Ranger stood, grazing on the grass, waiting to be mounted.

Sweet Becky hesitated, her pilfered charm-shooter still aimed at the nonchalant bounty hunter. She wasn't about to let Shy Sarah onto her horse without knowing what was in the saddle bags. But the flustered girl only had two hands and one pair of eyes, and her weapon required all these things to aim accurately. The other possibility that came to Sweet Becky's mind was to order Shy Sarah to open the bags, but she couldn't let the treacherous bounty hunter get her hands on a new weapon.

"Unhook the saddle bags and throw them away," Sweet Becky ordered firmly.

"Are you sure? We might need…" Shy Sarah objected.

"Just do it." Sweet Becky insisted. She wasn't going to give Shy Sarah any excuse to reach into her belongings, even if she was right about needing whatever it was.

Shy Sarah shrugged and unhooked the bags. Then, carrying them at an arm's length from her body, she tossed them into the trees. "There's one thing I don't understand. What happens when we get out of the forest?" Shy Sarah asked, "It seems to me that once we get near a safe town, you won't have much reason not to shoot me and take me prisoner. And knowing that, I don't have much reason to help you get out of here."

"I don't see what other choice you have," Sweet Becky retorted. "Would you rather I just leave you tied up for the Summer Campers and hide somewhere until the reset?"

Shy Sarah raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm not sure I see the difference, for me," she answered, "But I'll go along with your plan for now. If nothing else, I can always hope one of the Summer Campers has a cute male cousin or something and I can slip away while you're busy trying to make him notice you." She giggled to herself at the mental image.

Sweet Becky's cheeks burned with a mix of annoyance and embarrassment. "Do yourself a favor and stop talking. I still have plenty of things left I could use as a gag."

Shy Sarah smirked, but she nodded and mounted her horse, patting behind herself to invite Sweet Becky to join her. Sweet Becky approached the roan mustang but then stared hesitantly. She didn't see an easy to mount the horse while keeping the gun ready to fire. Shy Sarah gave her a smug look but offered her hand and freed up a stirrup for Sweet Becky to step onto.

However, things weren't much better once she was on the saddle, squeezed behind the bounty hunter girl. Keeping the long gun pointed at her opponent made it hard to keep her balance as Ranger began his brisk walk. It wasn't long before her thighs began to ache with the strain of keeping herself in place. Her attention started to dull, only occasionally startled back to life by the sound of distant gunfire. The forest was in chaos, and Sweet Becky could only guess it was the Summer Campers trying to reestablish their hold on the territory, though she wasn't sure who they were fighting. Perhaps another gang had sensed weakness and chosen to attack. Alternatively, Sweet Becky wouldn't have been surprised if the Summer Campers had simply decided to take out their humiliation on whatever forest dwellers they could find.

Shy Sarah seemed to sense the difficulty she was having. "It's going to be a rough ride if we run into any trouble. You know that. You really should lower your weapon," she urged, "The longer we take, the more time they have to regroup. We should be moving faster as it is."

"I'm fine!" Sweet Becky snapped back, "Go as fast as you want. I'm not putting this down."

Shy Sarah shrugged and urged her horse into a canter. Despite her awkward position and divided attention, she didn't anticipate any serious trouble. Her avatar was an experienced rider, and Ranger was smaller than her own horse Briar. Sweet Becky left the navigation to Shy Sarah while she stayed vigilant for any sign of trouble, either from the forest or from Shy Sarah.

"Up ahead," warned Shy Sarah. Sweet Becky peered over her shoulder and saw them. At least four riders were coming down the trail the other way. It was hard to tell who they were or what they wanted from a distance, but Sweet Becky could tell that Shy Sarah wasn't any more keen to wait around and find out than she was.

Taking a massive leap of faith, Sweet Becky hooked her arm around Shy Sarah's body for stability and deftly turned herself around to face the other direction, putting her in a much better position to fire at any pursuers and a much worse position to fire at Shy Sarah.

Shy Sarah took this as her cue to abruptly turn Ranger into the treeline and urge him into a faster gallop. It was, as she promised, a rough ride. Under her skillful control, Ranger wove between trees and jumped over mushroom-ridden fallen logs and hazardous tree roots. Sweet Becky didn't see any sign of pursuit at first but soon caught a glimpse of a shadow that looked uncannily like a rider in silhouette. She raised her gun and aimed.

"Duck!" shouted Shy Sarah in a desperate voice. But unfortunately for Sweet Becky, the warning was drowned out by the sound of her gun's blast. The low-hanging branch hit her right in the back of her head and sent her tumbling from the shadow, back into the black void used to represent unconsciousness.

---

"Oh… you're awake," came Shy Sarah's voice. Sweet Becky's vision was still blurry, but she could recognize her adversary by sound. "That was an amazing shot. I have to give you credit, if it weren't for that we would have never gotten away."

"Hrm… mrpgh?!" Sweet Becky could feel that her mouth was tightly stuffed, and the stuffing was tied off tightly with a bandana. Her arms were bound strictly behind her back, and her legs were tied in a folded position under her. Around her on all sides were wooden walls, giving her barely any room to struggle.

"Well, I kept my word," explained Shy Sarah, "I got you out of the forest. Too bad for you that you were unconscious when that happened."

"Hrph! YRMR RRGHR!" Sweet Becky protested.

"I'm going to find a town to rearm and resupply. Shouldn't be gone long. You just wait here, and before you know it, we'll be back on the road to Fort Mallow!" Sweet Becky screamed into her gag in protest as Shy Sarah lowered a wooden lid onto the opening of the barrel in which Sweet Becky was imprisoned, leaving her in total darkness.

Ovi1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Ovi1 »

Great chapter! Somehow I had the charm shooters in my head as short handguns rather than longer weapons, but I guess I just missed a description in the worldbuilding-heavy first chapter
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Ovi1 wrote: 1 year ago Great chapter! Somehow I had the charm shooters in my head as short handguns rather than longer weapons, but I guess I just missed a description in the worldbuilding-heavy first chapter
Absolutely. That was bad luck for Sweet Becky. Literally out of the woods but into the woods again, or more precisely in a barrel. Looks like Shy Sarah has the upper hand - or so it seems.
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

The trope of the two enemies who are forced to wok together is always nice, and it was a great execution. The eventual betrayal was evident, but Sweet Becky had little choice (or well, leaving alone on foot would have been better in hindsight).
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

[mention]Ovi1[/mention] There are different types for players to choose from. The most popular is a typical cowboy revolver, which is what Sweet Becky tends to favor. But in this case, she was using Wild Nellie's gun, and Wild Nellie favored something slightly more appropriate for a hunter. Back in chapter 2, Smiling Reilly had a double-barreled shotgun as well.

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] Glad you enjoyed the chapter!

[mention]Beaumains[/mention] It may well have been a better idea. :) Glad you enjoyed the chapter.

Mineira1986
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Mineira1986 »

Nice! I wasn't expecting the twist to be delivered that way. The betrayal was in the cards, but also the possibility that both girls keep a code of honor and parted separate ways... and Shy Sarah making an eventual return later to collect the bounty.

This twist did both things. Shy Sarah did get Sweet Becky out of the woods as agreed. After that, it was fair game, I guess. It would be silly for her to let the opportunity pass, specially since she knows how capable Sweet Becky is now.

Super excited to see if Sweet Becky will be successfully delivered to Lady Maybelle before the time runs out, or if she somehow is rescued.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

I just found your story and I'm very glad that I did. A great fantasy world with lots of tugs. What else could anyone want? I do hope that you will continue with this story.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

[mention]Mineira1986[/mention] Glad you're still enjoying the story so much! I've been trying to keep a back-and-forth going between them.

[mention]GreyLord[/mention] Thanks! I'm not planning on stopping yet.

Quintus09

Post by Quintus09 »

Shotrow wrote: 1 year ago @Mineira1986 Glad you're still enjoying the story so much! I've been trying to keep a back-and-forth going between them.

@GreyLord Thanks! I'm not planning on stopping yet.
I love the story. A bit like RedDeadRedemption
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

[mention]Quintus09[/mention] Glad you're enjoying it!

Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

Chapter 8
Sweet Becky furiously threw herself against the barrel's walls but to no effect. It was too heavy for her to tip, at least with so little space to maneuver. Her stomach sank as she realized the truth of the situation. She was helpless, and nothing was likely to change that soon. Hidden away as she was, the odds of anyone noticing her were astronomical, and she couldn't even muster the energy to try to attract attention.

Shy Sarah returned some time later. "You ok in there?" she taunted, "Good. I had to check in with Lady Maybelle at the telegraph office. Sounds like everything's ready for you."

There was nothing that Sweet Becky could do to keep herself from being lifted onto the back of Shy Sarah's horse, her salvaged rope bonds from being reinforced with a newly purchased copy of Shy Sarah's signature dark blue and gold-star patterned rope, and being carried off to her doom.

Ranger carried Shy Sarah and her captive down a winding path through rolling green hills. Nothing happened for a very long time until they came to a covered wooden bridge stretched across a wide river.

"Hold it right there!" came a voice. Sweet Becky couldn't see where it was coming from where she was. "If you want to cross, the toll is…"

"I'm transporting a prisoner for Lady Maybelle," explained Shy Sarah.

Sweet Becky could hear frantic whispering. "She telegraphed ahead. Go on through," the voice answered. Sweet Becky's heart sank as she heard that. Apparently, Lady Maybelle's name had a good deal of power here as they grew closer and closer to Fort Mallow. It was increasingly unlikely that anything would stand in their way now.

Twelve days… twelve days trapped, separated from all of her friends, at the mercy of her captors. It was unlikely that any of the girls at Clever Anne's ranch would risk Lady Maybelle's wrath to mount a rescue, and even if they did, it would only be delaying the inevitable.

Sweet Becky wasn't sure where it was, but it was clear to her that they had passed the point of no return. She had lost, and there was nothing she could do now but go along with whatever her captors wanted and hope that someday she'd have her revenge. The captive girl lay still, not moving or struggling, her vacant eyes watching the countryside roll by. She couldn't even muster the energy to process Shy Sarah's occasional taunts.

Time passed. Maybe hours. Sweet Becky could hear the sound of waves crashing onto the shore, bringing her memory of the sandy beach that Fort Mallow overlooked into perfect clarity. She scowled as the sun hit her eyes as Shy Sarah turned Ranger northwards. It was low. The reset would come soon, but not nearly soon enough. Then, finally, she saw it. The cream-colored brick walls surrounding Lady Maybelle's magnificent stronghold.

The courtyard was abuzz with activity. Small groups of girls of various ages chattered in the shade of the fort's many pillars. Vendors busied themselves with disassembling their stalls and packing them away for the night. Riders carried out bundles of supplies to the surrounding pastures. Lady Maybelle had many followers. She had the maturity and experience to tell the girls of Happy Trails what they wanted to hear, and many were simply impressed by the fact that she was an adult woman who was interested in the same things that they were. Sweet Becky cringed when she remembered that it wasn't long ago that she had fallen for it herself. Of course, lady Maybelle's vast wealth didn't hurt her image either, and her three sons, who occasionally transferred to Happy Trails to visit her, had their fans as well. Sweet Becky fondly remembered the middle child's sandy hair and gentle voice, but her memories were marred with the recollection of the terror she felt when she learned who he was and how protective Lady Maybelle was of him.

Shy Sarah asked around, but no one seemed to know where Lady Maybelle was at the moment. A girl in one of the guard towers pointed her to the holding cells, so Shy Sarah carried her prisoner down the flight of stairs she was directed to.

Fort Mallow's stockade was a dreary place. The only light came from a series of barred windows high on the walls, through which Sweet Becky could see the boots, ankles, and hooves of girls and horses passing by the courtyard. The cells were narrow, only big enough to lie down in one direction, and very crowded. Some of the smaller girls were packed in with two in one tiny cell. Shy Sarah had to bring her prisoner all the way to the end of the cell block to find a vacant cell for her prisoner, and once she did, she lay her on the stone floor and closed the door with a click. She had earned her reward, and she stared at Sweet Becky with a look of great satisfaction and relief. Sweet Becky could only glare.

Sweet Becky looked around her cell. It wouldn't be so bad, staying here for a while, if she was left alone, but she knew that Lady Maybelle had more sinister plans for her. The wall beside her was solid brick, and she couldn't see the cell next to her, but across from her, a girl hung suspended from the ceiling in a hogtie. The girl was very young. It was unusual to see a player that young so far from the beginner areas, and Sweet Becky wondered what she had done to warrant this kind of treatment. She was dressed in a lamb costume, the white wool contrasting with her shockingly black hair and skin. It was adorable, but Sweet Becky had a feeling she wasn't dressed that way by choice. Fancy Delilah Birdsong was her name. Sweet Becky amused herself for a moment by watching her squirm and struggle; she knew she should have a little more sympathy for someone clearly caught in the same situation as herself, but she couldn't help herself. It was just too cute.

Soon, she grew bored with watching her and instead focused on the chatter of the other prisoners. It seemed likely she'd be getting to know some of them pretty well, and she hoped their company would turn out to be tolerable. But suddenly, the conversation stopped, and the entire prison fell silent except for the sound of footsteps echoing through the hall.

"…put these three to work in the stables tomorrow. And I think Lucky Betty here has earned an hour in the goat pen tomorrow morning," an unseen adult voice instructed while another set of footsteps hurried to keep up.

"Got it," acknowledged a more youthful voice.

Finally, the two of them reached Sweet Becky's cell. Lady Maybelle Mariposa, in all her glory, and a younger girl named Happy Georgia Cinnamon. The former was an imposing figure, towering over the majority of people Sweet Becky had seen in the game. She wore a rhinestone-adorned cattlewoman's hat over a light-colored collared shirt that gave her an air of authority while sitting tight enough to show off a body that was the envy of many young teen and preteen players. The jodhpurs and heeled boots she wore only served to enhance the effect. Happy Georgia trailed behind her, hanging on to her every word. She was dressed in a red gingham dress, with her dyed green hair in braided pigtails that ran down the back of her head. Her avatar was unusually heavyset and bulky, which might have been intimidating if she wasn't half as tall as the woman she was standing next to.

"Ah, Sweet Becky Marigold. I was told you were here," she said as she gripped the bars of Sweet Becky's cell. "Happy Georgia, make sure you strip this one and put her in the stocks first thing tomorrow."

"Ok, got it," the younger girl answered, "Now can I…?"

"Yes, you did well today. You can take little Delilah out to play now," Lady Maybelle answered. Excited, the girl ran into Fancy Delilah's cell and cut the girl down. The child mmphed and struggled furiously as Happy Georgia carried her out under her arm, singing a jaunty tune as she skipped out of the cellblock.

Lady Maybelle opened Sweet Becky's cell door and crouched down to remove her gag. "You really should have known better than to think you would get away from me. I've been doing this a lot longer than you have."

Sweet Becky stayed silent. What was there to say?

"Lucky for you, free-play's almost over. You'll get some rest before your punishment really begins," Lady Maybelle continued. She stood up and tapped Sweet Becky with the toe of her boot. "To girls like you, free-play just means a chance to be naughty and take what you want with no regard for anyone else, doesn't it? Did it ever even occur to you that you could use the freedom you had here to be BETTER than you are in the waking world?"

She walked out to stand by the door. "Here, where young girls like you have all the power you never had in the real world. And what do you choose to do with that power? Rob… bully… kidnap… harass. Form cliques and gangs and exclude those who are different. You could have made this world into anything you want, but you built a world that's almost as cruel and meaningless as the real one."

She closed the cell door with a click and leaned against it. "Oh, but don't get the impression that I'm complaining," she whispered with a wicked grin on her face, "I'm having the time of my life here. And it looks like I have one more thing to look forward to tomorrow."

Ovi1
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Ovi1 »

Another great chapter Shotrow!
It was a lovely read. Lots of exposition done at a nice calm pace. It feels like you are preparing for a big change in perspective, perhaps some real world scenes?
I'll eagerly keep reading.
Beaumains
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Beaumains »

Great continuation and further world building. It seems almost impossible for Sweet Becky to escape. Can't wait for her punishment.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

You continue in your very inventive manner, [mention]Shotrow[/mention]. Excellent attentio to detail. Enjoyable yarn.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Beaumains wrote: 1 year ago Great continuation and further world building. It seems almost impossible for Sweet Becky to escape. Can't wait for her punishment.
Agreed. It seems, Sweet Becky is in a tight spot .... but who knows what happens in this fascinating world?
Shotrow
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Shotrow »

[mention]Ovi1[/mention] Could be, could be... Thanks for the comment. 🙂

[mention]Beaumains[/mention] Thanks! I hope the coming chapters will live up to your expectations.

[mention]GreyLord[/mention] I appreciate that! I was worried I had let the attention to detail slip a bit, partly due to the nature of this setting, so I'm glad to hear it's working for you.

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] At this point, I'm not even sure I know anymore. 😛

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic