An Unsuitable Job For A Lady (F/F)

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
mrjones2009
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

An Unsuitable Job For A Lady (F/F)

Post by mrjones2009 »

MacKay Steven's First Case

Frankie’s Diner, Falkland

“Judging by the look on your face it didn’t go as well as you had hoped.” Riley Nash looked across the Diner table at her friend MacKay Stevens and sighed. She knew what was coming. A rant. As did Wendy Walters and Chloe Langston who occupied the other two seats at the table.

“Her exact words were. And I am quoting here. That is an unsuitable job for a lady!” MacKay bashed a hand on the table. “I mean do I look like a lady to you.” MacKay looked at the expressions on her friends faces. “Well, you know what I mean.” The onslaught continued. “No daughter of mine will be sneaking around, rummaging through dumpsters and peeking through bedroom windows.” MacKay threw her hands in the air, exasperated. “My mother is always trying to mould me into something that I don’t want to be. I am not one of those prim and proper girls from The Heights like all of her friends from the club daughters.” Riley looked to her left and raised an eyebrow at Wendy. “Alright, alright. I know I am going on again but she just…”

“We know Mack,” Wendy commented and rested a comforting hand on her friend’s forearm.

“Some of those Heights girls aren’t so prim and proper from what I hear,” Chloe said almost under her breath.

“Dad left me his business and I want to take it on.” MacKay stated. “I actually think that I can be good at this.”

“You mom is just worried about you,” Riley said. “Private Investigations can be dangerous.”

“She says that I read too many detective books and it isn’t like that in the real world.” Just then their savior appeared. Esther, the waitress came over to the table with a pencil in one hand and a notepad in the other.

“Hi loves. What can I get you today?”

“Hi Esther,” the four young women replied in unison.

“BLT and a large coffee,” MacKay replied. Esther could have guessed. It was the same order that she had made the last time she had been here. Probably the twenty times before that as well. Three months removed from finishing a degree in geography at college, she had no idea what she wanted to do with her life at that point so picked geography at random. MacKay had returned home after college and decided to take up her father’s business. It felt right. Standing five feet six in her bare feet she wore her light brown hair tied back in a ponytail most of the time. Piercing, intelligent blue eyes blazed from deep set sockets and sharp features completed her physical appearance. A lot of men had described her as beautiful. Despite her protests, that was an accurate description.

“Can I get a fruit smoothie please?” Chloe asked. She looked at the others after making her order. “I have an audition this afternoon.” A part-time model and actress Chloe was trying to make her way in the profession. It helped that she was the classic blond bombshell with long flowing locks, blue eyes and a figure that men drooled over. “I think that this could be my big break.” MacKay rolled her eyes.

“Porridge with honey and a fresh orange,” Riley replied. Ever the fitness freak. The raven-haired twenty-two year old had gotten into college on a sports scholarship playing lacrosse and running track. At the moment Riley was working at a local gym whilst trying to get her personal training business off the ground. Toned and lean she was loyal and could be relied upon to give an honest opinion.

“Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup.” Wendy licked her lips in anticipation as she ordered her breakfast. Fresh from completing a media degree at college she had moved to Falkland to take up a position as a junior reporter with the local paper. Unlike the other three young women who had been friends since childhood, Wendy had met the others at college. Her auburn hair was cut into a short bob and intelligent green eyes were framed by black rimmed spectacles.

“Won’t be too long girls,” Esther smiled after scribbling down their orders before heading back to the counter.

“What are you going to do then?” Riley asked MacKay.

“I am going to give it a go. The Falkland Investigation Agency is open for business again.” MacKay had a broad smile on her face. “I already have my first case.” The other three women around the table exchanged looks.

The Falkland Investigation Agency, Old Town

MacKay delved into her pocket of her short blue down jacket to find the keys to the office. It was on the first floor of a three-level building just where the Westhill, or The Badlands, as locals referred to it met The Old Town. It was a nice-looking building with a book store occupying the entire ground floor and most of the first, MacKay’s office taking the remainder of the first and a lawyer’s office sharing the second with whoever was occupying the other side of the corridor that month. There were two entrances, one through the bookstore and a second, direct entrance in the alley between two buildings. At this time of evening the bookstore was closed so MacKay headed down the alleyway, confident despite the late hour and lack of people around, toward the old metal stairwell fixed to the side of the building. There was a gate at the bottom of the stairwell and she used a key to open it. Her shoes clanged on the treads of the stairs as she climbed to the first floor. Another door, another key. The secure, metal door swung open toward MacKay and she stepped inside. She fumbled on the wall of the light switch and illuminated the corridor. To the right was a door that had Fire Escape on it. That was the back of the book store’s first floor. Straight ahead at the end on the corridor were three doors, a male and female toilet and a small kitchen. On the left was a wooden door with a large pane of frosted glass with Falkland Investigation Agency stenciled in black lettering. Using the last key on the ring MacKay entered and turned on the lights. The set up hadn’t changed in five years, apart from the dust that had accumulated on the furniture but she would start cleaning that off tomorrow. Pulling a white sheet from a leather Chesterfield style chair in the corner she took a seat and looked around. Another large swivel chair sat behind a wooden desk with the window behind it. Two small chairs on the other side. A small, round table in the corner, a couple of filing cabinets and a bookcase. Not a lot but it would do. She closed her eyes and her mind was filled with happy memories.

In the alley below a figure stood hiding in the shadows looking up at the glow of lighting behind the blinds on the window at first floor level. The figure stood still for ten minutes before deciding that they had seen all that they were going to see and walked steadily away.

Harris & McIntyre Department Store

Black skirt that stopped just above the knees, tights, sensible flat shoes, a white blouse and a patterned blue silk scarf around her neck completed the standard dress for junior female employees at Harris & McIntyre and that was how MacKay Stevens had dressed this morning before turning up for work. She nodded as Mister Harris explained the problem. “The wastage figures don’t seem to add up and there had been a lot of stock going missing.” He paused. “I do check these things. The staff think I don’t but I do.” Harris had a satisfied look on his face. “There were abnormalities that I can’t make add up.” MacKay nodded again, hoping that she seems sincere. “We need somebody to blend in with the staff and investigate.” Mister Harris looked happy. “And, when I saw your advert on that social media site…well…” he held his arms wide open. “It seemed like a massive stroke of luck.”

“I am sure that I will get to the bottom of whatever is going on Mister Harris. Thank you for the opportunity.” MacKay smiled.

“Ophelia, sorry Miss Fisher, will be your supervisor.” MacKay stood up and smooth down her skirt. It wasn’t very often that she wore skirts and tights these days. It was mostly jeans. “You better get going,” Mister Harris said taking a glance at his watch. “Miss Fisher does not tolerate tardiness. She runs a tight ship.”

“I bet she does,” MacKay replied before turning to leave.

Harris & McIntyre Department Store

Ten minutes later she was walking across the shop floor on the second level of the store. Ladieswear, lingerie, fragrance and footwear. The store itself covered four levels of sales and two above that with offices, staff areas and storage. The whole place was a little faded. It didn’t have the glamour of Jarrod’s, that was Falkland’s largest and most fashionable department store three blocks further up The Boulevard. MacKay weaved through early shoppers and two cleaners to the fragrance counter where a woman in her fifties with her grey hair in a bun, half-moon spectacles and wearing a grey suit waited with arms crossed. “Miss Stevens, I presume,” the woman said. MacKay glanced down at her own name badge and then at the older woman’s.

“Yes, Miss Fisher.”

“Two minutes late,” Miss Fisher remarked. “Make sure and take that off your first break.”

“Yes, Miss Fisher.” MacKay didn’t normally take any instant dislike to people but she could always make exceptions. As MacKay and Miss Fisher were exchanging pleasantries three similarly dressed woman in their mid-twenties seems to appear from nowhere and form up beside Miss Fisher.

“Perfect timing ladies,” Miss Fisher smiled. “Met MacKay Stevens, a new start today.” MacKay took in the three new arrivals. There were all dressed exactly like she was and all had blond hair and blue eyes. It was like The Stepford Sales Assistants. “This is Kerry, Jenny and Ruby.” MacKay nodded a greeting at the women. They all just scowled back. “We rotate but this week Kerry is on fragrance, Jenny on footwear and Ruby on lingerie. They will show you the ropes. Play nice ladies.” Instructions handed out Miss Fisher marched off. MacKay looked at the three women and sighed inwardly. She had a feeling this was going to be a long week.

Day One, Fragrance Counter

“I can’t believe you did that!” Kerry yelled at MacKay who was holding a sample perfume bottle in her hand.

“This is what you told me to…”

“I certainly did not…Missus Fraser I am so sorry…” Kerry held the woman’s lower arm whilst giving her a sympathetic look before turning to glare at MacKay.

“You said every customer gets samples…”

“Not Missus Fraser,” the woman’s wrist was now developing a red rash, “she has a lot of allergies and can only use specific perfumes. You would know that if you paid attention.” This time it was MacKay’s turn to glare. Kerry had not mentioned anything about Missus Fraser’s allergies when the woman had approached the counter ten minutes earlier. Kerry put a comforting arm around the woman and started to lead her away. “Shall we get you some first aid.”

“Thank you deary,” Fraser said, “you always take good care of me.”

“I will have to tell Miss Walters about this,” Kerry hissed as she walked away. Great! MacKay thought. Might not even last the day.

Day Two, Footwear

MacKay was balancing six boxes of shoes carefully on her way back from the storeroom when her right foot clipped something and she lost her balance, launching her forward. The six boxes of shoes went up in the air as MacKay crashed to the floor. Once she was had landed face first MacKay looked up to find the boxes she had been carrying and their contents sprawled over the floor. There was a high-pitched laugh as MacKay got up and dusted herself off. Turning round to the direction that the laugh came from she found Jenny in good spirits. “How clumsy of you. You had better get that tidied up before Miss Fisher sees that mess.” MacKay swore under her breathe beginning to tidy up the shoes and putting them back into the correct boxes. As she reached for one shoe, she was beaten to it by another hand. Looking up MacKay found herself looking at the kindly face of a man wearing the grey uniform and hat of a security guard.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. That Jenny isn’t very nice.”

“She is not,” MacKay agreed. The security guard helped her collect the shoes and then carry the boxes to where they needed to go. “Thanks.”

“No problem. My name is Henry and it is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise.” MacKay watched the man walk away. “At least there is one friendly face around here.”

Day Three, Lingerie

“Go and get another box then,” MacKay impersonated Ruby’s voice. “Be quick about it as well. Geez!” She pushed through the door at the top of the stairs and into the large open space warehouse on the top floor of the building. There was a door in the corner that led to a corridor. The lingerie was stored in a room in the far away corner. MacKay was well aware where the stock was as this was the sixth time Ruby had sent her up here this morning already. At least she was getting toned thighs from going up the steps! Riley would be impressed. As she walked through the door, she heard voices from the small storage room on the left. It was used to for old furniture and display fittings. MacKay decided to listen at the door. It was two female voices. MacKay was sure that it was Kerry and Jenny.

“The delivery has just arrived.”

“Good. How was your pencil?”

“A little blunt.” The two women laughed.

“Is Damon aware?”

“Yeah, ten o’clock tomorrow.” MacKay smiled. Sounded like she finally had something to work with on her first case. Carefully she pulled away from the door and headed along the corridor to collect the boxes that Ruby had sent her for.

Day Four, Ladieswear

A day working with Miss Fisher had been as tedious as she thought it would have been. What had kept her going was the excitement of tonight’s activities and potentially closing her first case. The store closed at 6pm and after grabbing her blue down-filled jacket and bag from her locker in the staff room MacKay headed straight for the female toilet and hunkered down. Whilst waiting she heard staff members come and go chatting about what they were doing that evening until about quarter past six and then everything went quiet. MacKay gave it another fifteen minutes before slipping out of the toilet and into the main store. There was nobody around and it was a little eerie with the main lights out but MacKay made her way across the store to the fire escape. Less chance of being noticed plus easy access to an escape route should she have to make a dash for it. She climbed slowly to the top floor storeroom, paused at the door and listened. Nothing. Deciding that she would make less noise on the concrete floor, MacKay slipped off her shoes and entered the storeroom in her stocking clad feet. Taking a pause, she heard noises coming from the back of the storeroom and padded across. The noises got louder until MacKay could make out what they were saying. There were piles of boxes and crates dotted around, MacKay hunkered down behind a large create and listened. “This should be or biggest haul yet.” That was Jenny speaking.

“Yeah, it should be,” Ruby replied. MacKay risked a peak between a couple of crates and saw the three women loading boxes and bags into a couple of wheeled cages. “Looking forward to spending my share.”

“I can’t believe we are getting away with this?” Kerry chipped in. Not for much longer. MacKay put down her shoes and reached into her bag for her phone to take a couple of photographs to use as evidence.

“Miss Fisher was right. Nobody checks the inventory.” I should have known she was involved. MacKay shook her head and leaned out from cover to take some photographs. After taking a couple she went to put her phone back in her bag but it slipped out of her hand, landed on the concrete floor and bounced between two crates. MacKay winced as the sound echoed around the storeroom.

“What was that?”

“Just a rat probably,” Ruby replied.

“No. Better go and check it out.” MacKay heard footsteps approaching and looked at her phone.

“Bugger! I will get it later.” Better to get help first. MacKay broke cover and sprinted toward the main stairs in her stockinged feet with her shoes in one hand and bag in the other.

“There! I told you it wasn’t a rat!”

“Quick get her! Don’t let her escape!” As MacKay headed for the doors, she could hear the footsteps on the concrete floor behind her. She reckoned that if she made it to the doors then she would be alright as she could get down a couple of levels and then dodge her way through the store. That was the plan as she shouldered the doors open and burst through whilst looking over her shoulder for her pursuers. Then she ran into something solid and stopped.

“Henry,” MacKay was breathing heavily, “am I glad to see you.” She glanced over her shoulder. “You see Kerry, Jenny and…” MacKay trailed off as she read the look on the security guard’s face. “Not you as well…” Suppose it made sense to have the security guard in on it.

“Sorry.” To his credit the man did look genuine as he grabbed MacKay’s left arm and twisted it behind her back.

“AARRGGHH!” MacKay screamed just as Kerry, Jenny and Ruby came through the door.

“Caught this one for you.”

“Will you AARRGGHH!” MacKay’s arm was twisted again.

“What will we do with her?” Ruby asked.

“I have an idea,” Jenny had a wicked smile on her face.

Small Storage Room

MacKay was squired and twisted in the orange plastic chair. “mmahh…aanntt…eebbnnmm…” she grunted as she tried to slip free of her bindings. “uursstt…eeiimmee…” They had used their patterned bule silk scarves to tie her up. Her wrists were bound behind her back using Kerry’s silk scarf whilst Jenny and Ruby had used theirs to tie her ankles and thighs together. They had used her own scarf as a cleave gag. That was annoying. Once they had left her MacKay had spent five minutes thinking about what cliché this was, snooping detective gets caught and tied up before beginning her, to this point fruitless, attempts to get free. MacKay thought that she would be able to get her wrists free eventually with a little time and effort. Maybe hop across to one of old fittings and see if there was a rough edge to rub the scarf against. Then the door opened and Miss Fisher entered. “aahh’..oooddd…mmaafff…ooww…” MacKay grumbled.

“Miss Stevens. How are you this evening?” Fisher smiled as she approached. “Comfortable, I hope.” Miss Fisher pulled the scarf gag from MacKay’s mouth and let it hang loose around her neck. “Did that dope Harris ask you to snoop around?”

“You won’t get away with this Fisher!” MacKay spat out.

“Spare me feisty chat Miss Steven,” Fisher replied. “I am not the one tied up here.” MacKay had to admit that the older woman had a valid point. “Anyway, I only came down here as you were making too much noise.” Fisher delves into the pocket of her jacket and pulled out some lady’s handkerchiefs. “These should help.”

“There is nobody around to hear me anyway.”

“That is a good point…” Fisher pushed a ball-up handkerchief toward MacKay’s mouth.

“You are not MMPPFFHH…mmffhh…” MacKay made the amateur error of opening her mouth to state that there was no way that she was going to let Fisher stuff her mouth full of fabric. Well, that was exactly what Fisher was doing as she stuffed one and then a second balled up cotton handkerchief into MacKay’s mouth before pulling the silk scarf back into place, preventing MacKay from expelling the new stuffing. “uuhhrr…mmuuhh…” MacKay glared at the woman and they shook her head in frustration.

“What? They are clean,” Fisher said with a smile. “Just sit still until we are finished and then we can decide what to do with you.” The woman then turned on her heels and walked out of the room, leaving MacKay more thoroughly gagged and squirming against her bonds trying to get free.
This time she was having a little success though as MacKay could feel the scarf round her wrists loosening. Half an hour later her wrists slipped out of the scarf and she was able to untie her legs and removed the gag, spitting the sodden packing onto the floor.

“I can’t wait to see them in jail.” MacKay moved to the door, opened it and glanced both ways before sneaking out and padding along in her stockinged feet. Fisher and the Stepford Sales Assistants were too busy loading up their loot. She carefully made her way to where she had dropped her phone. “Where are you?” Dropping onto her stomach MacKay reach into the gap and managed to pinch the mobile between her fingers. “Bingo.” After hauling it out she found the number that she wanted and sent a text. Just as the reply came in MacKay heard footsteps.

“FIND HER THEN!” Fisher called. They had obviously just discovered that she had managed to free herself. MacKay managed stash the mobile away again as the footsteps got closer and stopped. “You really should find somewhere else to hide.”

“I think that you should just give up Fisher.” The woman ignored her, grabbed a fistful of MacKay’s jacket and pulled her out into the open.

“Tie her up properly this time.” Fisher pushed her toward the group of three younger blonds.

“Get off!” MacKay protested as she tried to squirm away but three pairs of hands dragged her away.

Main Storage Room

To give them credit then really had tied her up properly this time. Jenny had searched around and found some rope which they had used to tie her wrists behind her back and then had wrapped rope around her body to pin, no crush, her arms into her back. Her legs were tied in four places, ankles, below the knee, above the knee and then at the thigh. All ropes were tight and knots frustrating out of reach. Miss Fisher had taken great delight in stuffing another couple of handkerchiefs into her mouth before using MacKay’s silk scarf to cleave gag her. In addition to that Fisher had taken her own scarf, folded that into a band and then tied that over MacKay’s mouth to reinforce the gag. “mmppffhh..uummphh…” MacKay mumbled ineffectively. “hhuummpp…mmmhhhkkk…”

THUMP! CRACK! THUMP! CRACK!

“uummppff…” MacKay winced and mumbled into her gag each time the hammer made contact with the head of a nail or wood.
“That should hold her!” Fisher said. There were giggles. Oh, and for good measure they have dumped her into an empty crate. Someone pounded the side of the crate.

“Don’t you go anywhere.” More giggles. MacKay bit down on her gag to stop her from issuing a very mumbled but very sweary response. Then she heard footsteps moving away on the concrete and MacKay stepped up her efforts to escape. Trying to rub the rope around her wrists against anything that slightly resembled a rough edge. Unfortunately, all that got her was a couple of splinters in her forearms and palms. Not however a loosening or fraying of the rope around her wrists. Shuffling around MacKay tried various different positions but she found no assistance and banged the side of the crate with her feet a couple of times.

“Temper,” a voice said from outside as someone walked past.

“uuhhkk…mmooff…” MacKay grumbled and then settled down a little.

That had been hat felt like hours ago but at least help should be on the way. There had been a couple of knocks and bangs on the crate and they MacKay had heard footsteps approaching. Her ears were that attuned now to the noises on the other side of her wooden prison that MacKay could tell that one of the footsteps was different.

“Jenny said you had some trouble,” a male voice commented.

“mmuuhhgg…mmoohhh…”

“Nothing that we couldn’t handle Damon.” MacKay rolled her eyes. “Just a snoopy colleague.”

“uuhhnn…mmpphh…” MacKay kicked out at the side of the crate.

“That her.” Footsteps and then a thump on the side of the crate.

“Quiet!” Fisher ordered. “Can you take her?”

“mmppgghh…hhuummpp…” MacKay mumbled and twisted frantically against her bonds.

“And do what?” Damon asked.

“Take care of her,” Jenny replied.

“mmuuhh…mmoohh…uuhhmmmhh….”

“You mean clean up your mess?” There was silence. “Alright then. Not for free though.”

“mmmpppfff! mmoohh!” MacKay smashed her feet into the side of the crate so had that is actually moved a little.

“Feisty one,” Damon commented. There was the noise of an engine outside the crate and then a beeping sound. MacKay was just trying to put together what was going on when the crate bumped and then started to rise off the ground. As the crate was rising and MacKay’s sense of panic was increasing there was a loud crash.

“FREEZE! POLICE!”

“NOBODY MOVE!” In the crate MacKay let out a sigh of relief and rested her head against the side of the crate.

“STOP POLICE!”

“WHAT DID I SAY!”

“HANDS UP!”

The Boulevard, Outside Harris & McIntyre Department Store

“Was I glad to see you,” MacKay smiled at Saskia as she rubbed her wrists. Once the shouting and commotion has stopped the crate had been lowered to the ground and then opened with a crowbar to reveal the bound and gagged Private Investigator. They were standing outside the store watching on as Miss Fisher, Kerry, Jenny, Ruby, Henry and Damon were all lead away in cuffs. They all glared at MacKay except from Henry who just shrugged.

“A successful outcome for your first case,” Saskia commented. There was a glee in Saskia’s eyes and she gently punched MacKay on the shoulder. Now, to explain Saskia was Riley’s big sister and a detective in the local police department. A handy contact to have in these situations.

“I suppose you could call…” MacKay was interrupted by the sound of her mobile ringing. It was the divert from the office number. This was exciting. MacKay answered. “Falkland Investigations. Yes. A…ha….,” MacKay’s shoulders slumped. “Yes, we can take the case.” Reaching for the pen and notepad that she had started to keep in her purse. “Can you describe the cat?” Saskia gave her a thumbs up.
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

A nice story :) A classical DID scenario - and McKay is a lovely character! I could imagine more cases for Falklands Investigations. After after all the excitement - the next case seems a bit too normal. Finding a cat gone missing - nice touch :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic