Being stupid (m self)

Stories that have a significant measure of truth to them should go here.
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Being stupid (m self)

Post by slackywacky »

When I was 17, I lived in a small town in the Netherlands, close to a highway. One day, early evening after dark, I decided to take my bike, ride out to the highway, or at least the maintenance roads alongside the highway. I found a farmers field entrance, that had a clean entry way and a chain link fence. I sat down with my back against the fence and locked my bicycle lock through the fence and around my neck. Now this was one of those locks with 3 digits as a code and the dials did not rotate all the way, so I was pretty sure I could open it. I connected both ends and turned the dials, effectively locking me in place.

I sat there for a while and then set the code on the lock to release me. But instead of the lock opening, it did not work. I was pretty sure I did the numbers right, but whatever I did, it did not open. I tried again, staying calm, resetting the lock by pushing the dials all to the one end, and redo the numbers. Again nothing happened. I moved the numbers up a single notch, maybe I was mistaken, but it was no use.

Now I got in a bit of a panic. I was sitting along a highway, some 100 meters away from the road, so nobody would see me from the passing traffic. The maintenance road was a dead-end, so nobody would come there unless they had a reason, and that would not be at night, so I might have to sit there until the next morning. Cell phones did not exist yet, so that was no option either. I kept trying the dial, but no luck, and breaking the lock was impossible without tools. I probably had more chance breaking the chain link fence than the lock.

My parents might get worried, but they had no clue where I was and nobody would assume I was out on this road. I was confident that I would be found, but the question was when. I was not looking forward sitting there all night. Suddenly the lock opened. Until this day I do not know why, I must have put in the right code, but I was sure I did that before. Anyway, I was free. The adrenaline ran through my body and I biked home, feeling relieved.

Lesson to be learned: Even when you think you know it all, something can screw you over. Even if you never know why or what it was.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
MaxRoper
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by MaxRoper »

Self-bondage may sometimes be stupid and dangerous, but it can also teach persistence and patience as well as the benefits of having a backup plan (or three).

Thanks for the story.
Canuck100
Archiver
Archiver

Post by Canuck100 »

Just reading your story made me feel a rush of adrenaline! How scary it must have been!
slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

Canuck100 wrote: 4 years ago Just reading your story made me feel a rush of adrenaline! How scary it must have been!
Frustrated is probably a better word. Yes, scared a bit, but more frustrated with the fact that what I had planned did not work out... the code for the lock not working (or at least not at first).

Greetings from Ottawa, looking out from my hotel over Gatineau/Hull.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic