No emails since April 4

Have an idea for a new feature? Want to see an extension or style added from the phpBB database? Tell us here and we will consider it.
NeedControl
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

No emails since April 4

Post by NeedControl »

I have not received any notification emails since April 4, even though I see when I log in that quite a few notifications which typically trigger emails to me have accrued for my account since then.

Has something gone wrong with the notification system?

I do know that the email notifications were being sent *unauthenticated* from a Gmail address (instead of something more branded like an @tugstories.com email address), and every single time that happens Google attaches an electronic warning to the message, so it seems possible that the notifications are still being "sent", but that some email servers are beginning to heed Google's authentication warnings and are simply rejecting the emails before they reach people's accounts (meaning *before* even the spam folder)... (Technical details I'm referring to: SPF and DKIM auth *is* configured for all @gmail.com addresses, and therefore always fails when emails are sent directly from a third-party server (like the TUGstories.com server) instead of being sent via authenticated GMail SMTP servers.)

Anyway, I'm trying to determine:
1. If this (email notification cessation) is a known issue
2. If it is affecting everyone, or only some users, or only me

And I'm suggesting a logical hypothesis for what might be causing it if in fact it is happening to more than just my account, but on the back end the emails still appear to be "sending".
Volobond
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Volobond »

Also affecting me. Hasn't been a problem since I check the site regularly, but it is noticeable.

You can find my M/M stories here: https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?p=38809#p38809
bondagefreak
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by bondagefreak »

NeedControl wrote: 1 year ago Anyway, I'm trying to determine:
1. If this (email notification cessation) is a known issue
2. If it is affecting everyone, or only some users, or only me
Though I'm not an Admin, I can confirm to you that the site Admin is well aware of the periodical issue relating to email notifications & new account registrations. It has nothing to do with your (or anyone else's) account, so try not to worry about it too much.
Xtc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xtc »

[mention]Johnsnow[/mention], [mention]chadmc90[/mention]
Is it worth putting out a general supportive notice about this?
They all say boxer shorts are cool,
but little Speedos always rule.
Johnsnow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Johnsnow »

Hey guys, I wasn’t aware this was an issue again. Thanks for letting us know.

Technically before the sender address was admin@tugstories.com but the from and reply-to addresses were the gmail account because that was easier to monitor. I’ve updated all of them to the admin@tugstories.com but the test emails still aren’t going through. It’s possible that our spam reputation is too low, our hosting provider is blocking email now, or some other config issue. I’ll continue to look into it and see what I can find.

Thanks again,
John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic