Revelation (M/F) (F/M) - A sequel to Devastation

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago I am staggered by the complexity of your world, @wolfman. Yet the complex details fit the story, moving it along.
Nothing to add on my part here [mention]wolfman[/mention] - the Illusion you crafted was so incredible real.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

[mention]GreyLord[/mention] [mention]Caesar73[/mention]

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. No matter how complex the story elements, it still boils down to one family against all comers.
View my latest story, Revelation, here;

https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8719

To view it's prequel Devastation, please click below;
https://tugstories.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7458
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

wolfman wrote: 1 year ago @GreyLord @Caesar73
No matter how complex the story elements, it still boils down to one family against all comers.
The classics are the best - especially done in this fashion [mention]wolfman[/mention] :)
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Sasha lays back on her reclined seat, nervously she looks to her left past Dani, matching the look of nerves on Nikita’s face.

Dani concentrates for a moment and the three of them feel themselves lifted. Anyone who could see the remote clearing, would see a matte black, tear drop shaped craft hovering a few feet over the forest floor. There are no discernible lines on the exterior of the craft.

There is no sound from the craft which simply hangs. From her command seat, Dani monitors exterior of the craft as if its skin is her eyes and nods to herself, “This will work.”

Nikita rests her head back on the seat and exhales slowly, “I hope you’re right, babe.” She thinks.

In the blink of an eye, the craft ascends thirty metres and stops dead in the early evening gloom, illicitly shocked gasps from Nikita and Sasha. Dani smiles to herself and whispers, “Scream if you want to go faster.”

The teardrop streaks forward at over four hundred miles per hour from a standing start. “We can be across Italy sharpish. Then I am thinking we cross into France from the sea. Should be able to get a decent way in, then switch to more conventional transport.”

“What shall we do about checking in?” Sasha asks, settling into her seat.

“Gut feeling is get a phone sooner rather than later.” Dani says, with a shrug. “This thing seems to work so we can do a soft evac on outskirts of a town, get comms and dust off quick and quiet.”

“Sounds good to me.” Nikita says, thoughtfully. “Do you have any safe houses, in southern France?”

“No where tooled up. I have a few bolt holes set up though.” Dani says, concentrating as she swoops low over tree tops and the crest of a hill, hugging the ground.

“We got a town coming up. Good a place as any for restock.” Nikita says, quietly.

“This thing has no windows. How can you know that?” Sasha asks, confused.

“I can sense the life pulses of the residents and feel the electrical substation and pylons. Too large a concentration for a village.” Nikita explains, dismissively.

“Spot on. There is a little supermarket on the outskirts of town from what I see. Would be a good place to get a few bits.” Dani says, guiding the craft to a discreet spot on the edge of town.

“I’ll go.” Nikita says, changing into a non description Mediterranean man of average height.

“How?” Sasha asks, somewhat surprised.

“I copy traits from people when I go to a large town, so I can mix and match traits.” Nikita explains, with a Northern Italian accent. “I also never take the same appearance more than once.”

“Full of surprises.” Sasha says, with a chuckle.

“This way, you can come get me if there is a problem. So, phone, food, water. Anything else.” Nikita asks checking on the cash she got from the Cardinal.

“Any chance of toiletries and loo roll?” Sasha asks, with a shrug.

“Fresh chilled oranges or orange juice.” Dani asks, landing the craft and camouflaging its exterior. “Just really fancy some fresh fruit for a change.”

Nikita sweeps through the medium sized store filling her basket. The half dozen flies circling the high ceilings, provide her with a full view of everything and everyone in the store.

No one gives her a second look, as she glides from aisle to aisle, in the guise of a man. A few minutes later, she pays cash and leaves the store with her shopping as if she were never there.

“There is something strangely liberating about walking in the world as someone who doesn’t exist.” She thinks, taking in the cool night air on the walk back to the craft.

She smiles at a young couple, who only have eyes for each other, as they walk arm in arm. “They loon so happy and in love.” She thinks, feeling a warmth in her heart, “They have a lifetime of love ahead of them and that’s a nice thought.”

Leaving the couple behind, she strides into the darkened pathways of the park. “Do I want that?” She wonders, calmly, sensing no threatening life pulses around her, “The thought of stepping away from the life and settling into a life of love, has it’s appeal, but I just don’t know if that is me.”

She circles wide around the craft, making doubly sure that nothing and no one is watching her, “But it isn’t just about me and what I want. Whoever I am with would be in danger, as a result of who I am and what I do. Same with Mia, if it ever came to light she was mine, she would be a target because of me. I can’t have that.”

She smiles at the memory of the couple and let’s it go, hardening her expression and approaching the craft.

Dani crafts a mount for the mobile phone in the cockpit of the craft and once Nikita gives the all clear that no one is approaching their position, dials home.

A weary sounding Carl answers the call, “Speak.”

The sisters exchange a glance noting the edge in his voice. Sasha speaks up, “Guardian, Angel and Lioness, calling in.”

“Thank fuck for that. Are you guys ok?” Carl says, with a hint of relief in his voice, but still retaining an edge.

“Long story but yes, we are OK.” Sasha answers, “Is everything OK there?”

Carl audibly sighs, “Liam and the girls are fine.” The words catch in his throat, before he can continue, “Natalie was the Arno family source. They switched her in Spain and she was feeding them info.”

“Shit. How’s Jim?” Dani asks, nervously.

“She vanished, leaving a note. Jim and Moses have gone to bring back the real Nat.” Carl says, his voice sounding hollow.

“That’s not what I asked. How is Jim?” Dani asks, pointedly.

“He is in bits. He and Moses found the real Natalie’s body, early hours of this morning. Looks like they shot her whilst she tried to escape. They are bringing her body back.” Carl explains, trying to keep a handle on his feelings, “The impostor seduced him and used him to get info. If he finds her, he will kill her.” Carl admits, concerned.

“Do you need us to support him?” Dani asks, oblivious to the veiled look of distress on Sasha’s face.

“Jim and Moses have things under control. Just get yourselves home.” Carl says, almost exhaling the words.

Dani looks over at Sasha and mouths, “Sorry, had to ask.”

“Thanks Carl.” Sasha says, winking at Dani, “Can I speak to the girls?”

She can almost see the smile creep across Carl’s serious features, “Sure. Just so you know, they have been brilliant. Everyone’s place is spotless and they have made sure everyone gets a decent meal, three times a day.”

“How is Tara settling in?” Sasha asks, as she can hear Carl on the move.

“A little shy, but she is doing well.” Carl pauses, for a moment, knocking on a door. “Sasha on the line for you.” He says, followed by the sound of fumbling with the phone.

“Sasha! Are you ok? Are auntie Niki and auntie Dani there?” The girls blurt out all at once.

Sasha changes over to a video call and warmly says, “We are all OK. We are heading home.”

“We have been so worried about you.” Kim confesses, “Where have you been?”

“When we get back, we will tell you all about it.” Sasha says, gently, “It’s been a wild one.”

“The news says about an army of the dead rising in the Med. Was that you?” Ali asks, wide eyed, before Tara gently punches her arm and whispers, “Unencrypted.”

“No, love. The news says that Elvis is alive and working in Harrods. Doesn’t mean it is true.” Dani says lightly.

“Whose Elvis?” Tara asks, naively.

“Wait.” Anya psis, “Don’t share, it is best to let her discover for herself.” Kim and Ali nods in agreement and psi a half dozen music tracks and a couple of films for Tara’s reference.

“Seriously? Jailhouse rock? A little less conversation? Suspicious Minds.” Dani asks, incredulous.

“I can see that a classic music and movie marathon is on the cards, when we get back.” Sasha says, with a smile.

“The Rocky and Rambo films, Terminator, Predator and Commando.” Sasha suggests, with a smile.

“I see your hand and raise you, The man with no name trilogy, Dirty Harry, Heartbreak Ridge with some Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee for good measure.” Nikita chips in.

“Amateurs.” Dani tuts, with a shake of her head, “The Godfather trilogy, Scarface and some classic John Woo.”

“I think we have the opportunity for a movie night or two per week.” Sasha says, seeing the excitement on the girls faces, “Maybe fried chicken, pizza or barbecue. Perhaps Uncle Carl can rig up a projector for us.”

“That’d be sick.” Ali says, wide eyed. “Can mum and dad come? What about Dean?”

“Sounds good. More the merrier. Same goes for your dad Anya.” Sasha says, warmly.

After a lot of back and forth about films and food, Sasha signs off and the cabin of the craft is filled with quiet.

“I like the idea, I am up for it. We all need something a bit normal.” Nikita says, warmly.

“I would love to be a part of it.” Dani says, betraying a little more emotion than she intended.

“It would great to have you both as a part of it.” Sasha as much pledges as says.

Dani subtly wipes her eye and says, “Change of plan. We head west across Italy, the Med and the Pyrenees. Then we head north up the Atlantic avoiding shipping .”

“What brought that on?” Sasha asks, thinking, “That might be quicker.”

“Over land Niki can give me a heads up about witnesses and at sea we keep low to the surf and avoid shipping lanes. Should be able to avoid most sea traffic too.” Dani pauses for a moment as the craft lifts silently into the air, “I’ll be knackered by the time we get back, but it will get us back to the UK a few hours earlier.”

Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

This chapter feels for me like an intermediate chapter, after all the turbulent events before. It seems that the Sisters are finally on their way home. I lked the conversation Sahsa had with the kids back home. That Natalie is dead is sad news though. Carl must be devasted. Another sequence I like was Nikita going shopping and her reflections when she sees the young couple.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

It may be just a quiet interlude with family touching base with each other, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. It is still such a pleasure to read.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] [mention]GreyLord[/mention]

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. This is something of a transitional chapter for me. After all that has happened a little time to reflect felt right.

With the strangeness of their transportation, balanced with the normality of their interactiins with each other and home it shows how far they have all come in so many ways.

slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

wolfman wrote: 1 year ago After all that has happened a little time to reflect felt right.
Every story (and every writer) needs moments like that. Well written (I know, I am repeating myself, but that is fine) chapter. And they better take this moment, because, knowing you, they will be up against formidable forces soon enough again.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

slackywacky wrote: 1 year ago
wolfman wrote: 1 year ago After all that has happened a little time to reflect felt right.
Every story (and every writer) needs moments like that. Well written (I know, I am repeating myself, but that is fine) chapter. And they better take this moment, because, knowing you, they will be up against formidable forces soon enough again.
You know me so well.

All joking aside, there are some challenges still ahead for the characters before i bring this part of the tale to a close

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

The blade flies from Tara’s hand aimed for Kim’s heart.

The blade vanishes with a flourish of Kim’s hand, then in the same movement, she calls the blade from its pocket dimension and sends it on towards Ali.

Ali somersaults sideways, snatching and returning the weapon at Anya.

Anya twirls on the spot, slipping the blade into a pocket dimension then sending it careening towards Tara.

On and on they go, slipping and relaunching the knife with increasing speed and volume of their whoops.

Without warning the door flies open and Carl strides in, plucking the knife from thin air and placing it on a chest of drawers in one move.

The girls freeze, “I think we are in trouble.” Kim psis.

“We were a bit loud.” Tara admits with a psi.

Carl runs a hand over his bald scalp and sighs, “Take a seat, ladies “

The girls nervously take their seats around the room, throwing furtive glances at each other.

Carl sits in a spare chair and fixes each of the girls with a steely glance in turn. He takes a moment and sits back in his chair, relaxing.

“Should one of us say something?” Ali psis nervously.

“I think that might make things worse.” Anya psis.

“What do you think he will say?” Tara psis, glancing at Kim.

“Doesn’t matter. Whatever he says, I will take the blame.” Kim psis back, “You guys have done nothing wrong.”

“No way, we are in this together.” Tara psis, with a thumbs up.

“Damn straight.” Anya psis in solidarity.

“We stand together.” Ali psis, determined.

Carl leans forward in his seat and opens his mouth to speak but then closes it again, watching the girls.

“We are in deep shit, he can’t even speak “ Tara psis, chewing her lip.

“Mind the language Tara.” Carl says, playfully.

Tara stares at him in shock, “Sorry uncle Carl.” She says, nervously.

Carl laughs softly, “I am messing with you, love. At your age I had a mouth like a sewer.”

“He got you, babe.” Kim psis.

“Maybe a little.” Carl says, waiting for the penny to drop.

The girls freeze once more and look to each other with confusion, until Kim asks, “Can you hear our psis?”

He shrugs, “I see patterns. Connections between people and things.” He begins, “And also between people and concepts. I can see the thoughts of a person as they make connections. With you ladies, I see it when you think in each others heads.”

“That is so cool.” Kim says, wide eyed with wonder.

“You would think so but, it is not infallible.” He says, deciding to level with them. “Someone posed as Natalie, fooled everyone including me and then disappeared.”

Anya begins to cry, remembering her father’s face when he told her on the video call that the real Natalie was dead. Tara moves to her side to comfort her swiftly joined by Ali.

“The imposter was concealed with powerful magic and she has just vanished.” Carl says, waiting for the girls to take the bait.

“How did she just vanish?” Kim asks, thoughtfully.

"Like in Fey’s book. Being not seen is not the same as being invisible.” Anya suggests, wiping her eyes.

“Yeah, she walked out avoiding eyes on her.” Kim says, with a nod.

“She probably knew Jim can control machines, so avoided the cameras.” Tara says, thinking aloud.

“She would have avoided patrols too.” Ali pipes up.

“Ali, you and Anya see if you can get a copy of guard routes for the past few days. Tara and I will plot out cameras and their arcs and between us we should be able to figure out the route she took.” Kim says, grabbing a laptop.

Carl smiles to himself watching the girls fly into action, “They will probably find the route in an hour or two. Then I will present the problem of where did she go then. With luck that should keep them busy till Dani and the others get back.” He thinks, quietly rising from his seat.

“Uncle Carl? Where are you going?” Kim asks, seeing him move to leave out of the corner of her eye.

“Sounds like you ladies have a handle on this. I will check the perimeter and make sure we are secure. Come and find me when you have worked out her route.” Carl says enigmatically.

With slow tidal breaths , Cark focuses on the Pattern. The network of connections that permeates all things.

“The magic that concealed her, used my abilities to shape my perception. She was camouflaged until the illusion dropped.” He thinks, furrowing his brow. “She knows that Jim can see through cameras. She wouldn’t want to show up in any place that could be linked to here.”

He opens his eyes and stands, suddenly. “This is stupid. Wind it back. Take everything you know about her out of the equation and start again.” He decides, silently crossing the room.

With purpose he enters the houses gym and strips off his t-shirt. He stands before the heavy punch bag and slowly stretches, before unleashing a torment of blows. “Only in the eye of the storm do things become clear.” He thinks recalling the note, that the false Natalie left for Jim.

“My dearest Jim,

It is with sadness that I write this letter. I fear our time together must come to an end. This is not your fault, it is mine and mine alone.

I am not who you think I am. Everything about me is a lie. In truth, I replaced the real Natalie in Spain. She was snatched and thanks to ancient magic, I stepped in.

Natalie is being held in Spain. There is a village, north of the Eyrie, with a crooked church tower. Take the road east out of the village and you will pass a vineyard. There is a farmhouse painted in white and sky blue. She is being held in the basement.

Knock four times, pauses for a count of three and knock four times more, then give the men inside two minutes to leave and she will be there safe and sound.

The magic needed her to craft my persona to fool you. We needed her alive and the guys are under instructions to keep her unharmed.

Whilst it was my job to get close to you and infiltrate your family. It was never my intention to fall for you. However, you awakened something in me. Something that I wasn’t prepared for.

Thank you for your love and the times we shared. I am sorry that we did not meet under different circumstances, we could have had a good life together. There would have been no limit to what we could do.

Alas, it is not meant to be. I will always remember you. I hope you will remember me too.

You will never see me again. For that matter you never have. I will cherish our time shared.

Remember, Dani was not our target. Keep everyone safe. The Arno’s are gone, but other will come.

My Jim, please take care.”

Carl reflects of the note while hammering the bag. “Dani was not the target. Who was?”

“Bitch tried to make out she was a victim, trying to be the good guy by saying where Nat was.” Carl smashes his fist into the reinforced bag, with relentless force, “She probably ordered Nat to be killed.”

With a guttural growl he launches at the bag with clawed fingers, ripping at its covering. “This note is not an apology, it is a taunt, designed to play with Jim’s feelings.”

The bag flies free from its’ hook and lands several feet away. Carl leaps onto it and begins hammering down blows upon it. “No. It doesn’t feel like a taunt. I think I am missing something.”

He climbs off of the bag and resets it on the hook. He stands before it, still as a statue, his breathing slow and controlled. “OK Carl. What are you missing?” he whispers, unleashing a fresh barrage.

There is no thought, the moment extends, with blow after blow landing on the bag. He let’s the words of the letter swim around him, feeling the connection between words and sentences.

Kim stands nervously in the doorway to the gym, watching her calm and chilled uncle, hammer the bag with a power and speed she has never before seen.

Carl senses her behind him and stops suddenly. He turns and smiles warmly at her, “Hello love. How are you getting on?”

Kim nervously enters the room, holding it a tablet. “We think we have worked out her route off site.”

“Really. That was quick, let me have a look.” Carl says, impressed. Her accepts the tablet and looks at their route, thinking, “That is the same route, I came up with “

Carl passes the tablet back with a nod and a smile, “Very well done. The question now is, once she got off site, where did she go?”

Kim looks up at him, taking the tablet back. “Where should we start?”

“She would likely have avoided fixed cameras in the area, like CCTV on streets and buses and traffic cameras. She may have taken a cab, or had a vehicle stashed nearby. Maybe try social media for photos of people in the area too.” Carl suggests.

Kim nods, but frowns, “Uncle Carl?”

“Yes Love?” He asks, wondering what’s on her mind.

“Why are we doing this now?” The young woman asks, nervously.

“How do you mean?” Carl asks, with a gentle smile.

“Surely this would have been done when she first disappeared.” Kim asks, biting her lip.

“Yes, it was. But I hit a brick wall.” Carl says, gently, “I am thinking a second set of eyes might show something, the team here and I missed.”

Kim pauses unsure if she should be upset, then asks, “So..... Why us?”

“You are smart, think differently and are individually capable.” Carl says earnestly, before adding, “Besides, think of it as a way to expand your skill sets.”

Kim beams him a smile and promises, “We won’t let you down, uncle Carl.”, before skipping out of the room with renewed purpose.

Carl sets his stance and prepares to attack the bag again. He smiles to himself, “They are lovely kids really. It’s amazing that they can still smile after all they have been through.”

He slows his breathing focusing on the letter, before beginning his moving meditation anew. He stops himself, when he realises that the letter is being read out in Kim’s voice.

“Why have I made that connection?” He wonders, leading with a powerful left back hand, he throws himself into his routine.

Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

We learn about the impostor and why she did what she did, all in all a sad story: Most iluminating were the final lines: It seems, the real target was not Dani, but Kim - as I see it :)
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

This was a wonderful new chapter, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. It swept me along to the very last word. Thank you for your gift to all of us.
Spy Task Force Completed
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

[mention]Caesar73[/mention] [mention]GreyLord[/mention]

Thsnk you for your kind words and support gentlemen. I wanted something as a little change of pace, whilst furthering the story a little.

I am happy with the results

Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

wolfman wrote: 1 year ago I am happy with the results
And with good reason - my personal highlight: The letter the Impostor wrote - it added something to the story
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

On a secluded beach, on the Cornish coast a seal shuffles towards the sea. The moon hangs low in the early evening sky and the distant smell of a beachcombers fire lingers on the breeze.

The waves are parted by an aquamarine coloured teardrop, which floats up the beach past the bemused seal and lands silently.

Inside the cockpit of the craft, Dani lays back on her seat and mumbles “Can one of you get a car? I am too shot to fly anymore.”

“You have done so well. Have a rest and we will figure something out.” Sasha says, squeezing Dani’s shoulder.

The craft slowly fades away and the three girls end up laying on the beach. Dani begins softly snoring, as soon as she is lain on the sand. Sasha lifts her gently and places her into a sleeping bag, to allow her to rest.

“Why don’t you stay with sleeping beauty? I can scout for transport.” Nikita says, getting to her feet.

“I can scout, you rest for a change.” Sasha says, tucking Dani in.

“I got this.” Nikita says, tossing Sasha the mobile phone, “If you can get a signal, call home, make sure your kids are OK.”

“Thanks, babe. I appreciate it.” Sasha says, beaming a smile.

“No drama. We have been cooped up for almost twenty fours hours, could do with stretching my legs a bit.” Nikita says with a wink.

Legs pumping hard, Nikita sprints inland, keeping low, “Faster as insects would be, sometimes it feels good to just run.” She thinks,

She smells the small fire before she sees anyone. The faint scent of burning driftwood, weed and tobacco are carried on the breeze. She approaches cautiously, sensing five people around the fire.

None of the group notice the single mosquito circle around their camp. The only reaction the insect gets is a lazy slap in its wake after it bites one of the group.

“Just a group of local kids out to enjoy the beach and a little skunk, free from their parents. No sense scaring the hell out of them.” Nikita says, turning away from the group, taking to her heels and heading inland.

Nikita crouches at the crest of a hill and nods to herself, “Not ideal. But might find something to fit the bill.”

With cat-like grace, she slinks down the hill to the fence of the scrap yard, “One guy and his dog.” She thinks, approaching the gate.

A split second before her hand touches the gate, the Doberman Pinscher begins to bark frantically and charges up to the other side, jaws bared.

She reaches into its lifepulse and begins to release pheromones to calm the dog.

“Sorry love, we’re closed till tomorrow.” The old man says, in a thick Cornish accent.

“I am in kind of a tight spot, if I’m honest.” Nikita says, trying to sound a bit lost.

The old man regards her for a moment and opens the gate, “Why don’t you come in for a cuppa and tell me all about it?”

Nikita monitors his heart rate and sees it remain steady, without any adrenaline spikes and nods to him, “Thanks, I’m Niki.”

“Nice to meet you love, I’m Frank.” He replies showing her the way.

A few moments later, she is nursing a cup of hot sweet tea and he lights his pipe in the junk yards small office. “Why don’t you tell me what brings a nice girl like you into the middle of nowhere.”

Not sensing any malice or overtones from the man, she begins, “I am here with my sisters. We travelled over from France, less than legally. We need to get home, but I’ve only got Euros.”

The old man thoughtfully smokes his pipe before admitting, “The Euros won’t be a problem. Main issue is I ain’t got much that runs. How far are you going?”

“Near London.” Nikita says, stroking the dog absent mindedly.

He reaches down patting the dogs side, “Soppy bloody sod.” He chuckles, before saying, “I got something on its last legs, don’t know if it will get you to London.”

“Even a bit up country would help.” Nikita says, with a shrug.

“Drink up and we’ll see about getting you set up.” He says, “I gotta warn you, it drinks a lot of oil and has a gearbox like a bag of spanners. But everything works.”

“How much?” Nikita asks, hoping she has enough as she fingers the small wad of cash in her jeans pocket.

He appraises her for a moment, before pursing his lips, “Five hundred and I will throw in a couple of extra cans of oil. There is a supermarket with a petrol station about ten minutes away, where you can fuel up.”

She sighs with relief, “Any chance we call it a grand and you throw in some cash for gas money and supplies?”

“Aye, alright. I’ll see what I can spare.” Frank says, rising from his seat, “You chariot awaits.”

With a full tank of fuel, Nikita crunches the vehicle into gear and pulls out of the supermarket car park. She cannot help but burst into full laughter as she strokes the steering wheel.

Aside from being old and somewhat rusty underneath, the thirty year old ice cream van is fairly sound. The steering pulls slightly to the left and the suspension squeaks over every bump in the road, but it runs and right now that is all that counts.

The fridge and freezer both appear to work and hold a few bottles of soft drinks and ice creams respectively.

As she drives, she sends out her senses. She feels every bump in the road, but there is no pattern to them that she can determine. The lifepulses vary in strength around her, including a few with the unmistakable shadow of COVID. She senses the birds at rest in the trees and begins to relax. “The sensations are all natural and random, this is not a dream.” She assures herself.

Sasha sits cross legged by Dani’s side and breathing deeply and slowly. Her senses turn inward and she spends a few moments feeling every cell of her body in turn. “Niki healed me pretty well, just a few kinks from being in Dani’s craft to work out.”

She feels a vibration through the ground and breathes out sharply, returning to her senses. She flips to her feet and makes ready, without knowing what for.

Sasha sees the ice cream van bounce down the path towards her and makes out the familiar form of Nikita behind the wheel. “For fuck’s sake.” She chuckles at the sight of the bright green and yellow vehicle approaching in the moonlight.

Still chuckling a few moments later, Nikita pulls away with a salted caramel chocolate ice cream in her right hand. Sasha leans back in the passenger seat, with an ice pop. Between them in the middle of the bench seat, Dani slumbers, with her head on Sasha’s shoulder.

“Weird few days, eh?” Nikita says, navigating a country lane barely wider than the van.

“You’re not wrong.” Sasha says thoughtfully.

“You thinking what I’m thinking?” Nikita asks, not taking her eyes off of the road.

“Say it.” Sasha says, in a quiet tone.

“Why was Natalie replaced by the Arno’s before Dani was approached by Maerig?” Nikita asks, licking her ice cream.

“Maybe Maerig is connected? Sent Dani knowing what would happen.” Sasha says, thoughtfully sucking her ice pop.

“Could be. I can help but wonder if Carl is hiding something. He mentioned a note, but not the detail.” Nikita says, weighing up the options.

“Or, there was another target in mind.” Sasha says, with a feeling of dread.

GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

How very appropriate, [mention]wolfman[/mention], going home in an ice cream truck.

But the concerns you raised at the last do qualify as a cliffhanger. Waiting as always.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

In your latest I have two favourite parts: First the opening lines and the End: The conversation between the sisters. In the opening lines you create with few sentences a picture of the place where the three sisters are landing.

The last third is important for a different reason: The sisters finally realize that Dani was not the intended target, but probably Kim. So another danger seems to loom at the horizon.
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago How very appropriate, @wolfman, going home in an ice cream truck.

But the concerns you raised at the last do qualify as a cliffhanger. Waiting as always.
Your patience will soon be rewarded, with a chsnge in tempo.
Caesar73 wrote: 1 year ago In your latest I have two favourite parts: First the opening lines and the End: The conversation between the sisters. In the opening lines you create with few sentences a picture of the place where the three sisters are landing.

The last third is important for a different reason: The sisters finally realize that Dani was not the intended target, but probably Kim. So another danger seems to loom at the horizon.
Danger lurks around every corner. Soon it will be revealed.

wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Dani wakes, slowly at first, then jolts awake fully alert. “Shit, how long was I out?” Looking out of the window. Outside the first kiss of light begins to colour the early morning sky.

“Pretty much all night, babe.” Sasha says, warmly. She settles back in the drivers seat guiding the vehicle through the Hertfordshire countryside

Nikita stretches a little in the centre of the bench seat glad Sasha took a turn behind the wheel. She pulls a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from her pocket and passes them to Dani.

Dani lights a cigarette and cracks open the window to pull the smoke out. She offers one to Nikita, who declines and settles back in her seat, with a gentle “I’m good thanks, babe.”

Dani looks around confused, “Are we in an ice cream van?”, prompting a laughs and nods from her sisters. Dani shakes her head with a smile, “Give me ninety nine with a flake, then.”

“Sorry babe, strictly choc ices and ice pops.” Nikita says, reaching back to one of the fridges, “Or an ice cold blood orange.”

“Ooh, blood orange please.” Dani says, finishing her cigarette and blowing the last of the smoke out of the window. “Where are we?”

“Not far from home. Probably about half an hour out. We are going to wait till about ten to arrive so it doesn’t look to suspect.” Nikita explains, whilst a flash of sadness plays across Sasha’s features.

Dani puts her feet on the dashboard and crossed her legs at the ankles, “Sounds good to me.” She sighs with pleasure crushing the first ice cold segment of blood orange between her teeth.

“Do we have enough cash for breakfast?” Sasha asks, turning the van towards Hemel Hempstead.

Nikita checks their remaining money and nods, “Yeah, we have some cash left.”

“I have a safe stash near here, if you fancy freshening up.” Dani offers, with a shrug.

“A shower does sound pretty good to be fair.” Sasha says, earning a thumbs up from Nikita. “Where are we going?”

The ice cream van, starts ticking itself cool as soon as the engine is turned off. Nikita stares into the middle distance, while Dani and Sasha reach for their respective door handles. She places a hand on each of their legs and whispers, “Wait.”

Suspecting trouble, Dani reaches across the barrier and pulls through enough necrotic matter to cover herself and Sasha in full body armour.

Sasha glances at Nikita, “Trouble?”

Nikita swallows, choking back tears, “Fey and an unknown other.”

The Changeling, screams silently. Her naked body glistens with sweat. She struggles blindly against the chains that secure her to the sturdy metal cot, in a strict spread-eagle.

The chained woman’s head is wrapped in tape, covering her eyes and sealing a large microfibre towel in her mouth.

No matter how hard she struggles, she cannot free herself from her bonds, or the intravenous drips, maintaining her bodies fluid and nutrient levels.

Above her stands Fey. Her face is a mask of calm. There is no hate. No anger. No pleasure. She is simply doing what needs to be done.

She takes her foot off of the switch in the floor and the current flowing through the bedframe into her captive stops. Fey looks down on her prisoner, without emotion, musing that this non descript room is a fitting place for one who steps away from their own identity to meet her end.

The Changeling pants through her nose, gasping for breath, feeling a moments respite.

Fey brushes her knuckles across her stomach and the Changeling screams anew. Fey feels a flutter of emotion, unable to identify it, as she floods the Changeling’s mind with her feelings from the moment before she died, hogtied in a sauna.

Fey slowly looks up, seeing the look of horror on her sister’s faces through the chain link divider separating the interrogation cell with the storage area of the safe stash. Calmly she holds up her left fist, clearly showing the deadman switch in her hand, “Stay there. There is a claymore mine under the bed. I let go and she is chunky salsa.”

Dani steps forward, beyond a line of unmarked crates and boxes. Taking a moment, she eyes the switch and frowns, “Fey. What the hell is going on? This is not you.”

Fey steps back, placing her foot back on the electrical switch. In an almost detached tone, she speaks softly, “You know when you brought us together and took us to Cambodia? You gave me a family and took away my loneliness.”

“Oh Fey, we are all here for you.” Dani says softly.

“You are here for me? I am here for Jim.” Fey says, coldly. “After Hel’s funeral, I saw her.” She spits on her captive, “She was sneaking around and acting strangely, so I watched her from the shadows. I was trying to work out what she was up to.”

Dani senses Nikita and Sasha tensing behind her and subtly signals for them to stand down and let Fey continue.

“The morning her disguise dropped, I confirmed that she was leaking details on us and had already decided to intervene.” Fey says, taking her foot off of the switch and brushes the Changeling’s cheek, filling her mind with the memories and sensation of being bound in a punch bag as a beast of a man pummelled her.

Ignoring the woman’s screams, she continues, “I saw the note, I knew in that moment, how badly Jim would be hurt when he found out.” Dani sees the pleading in her eyes, as she continues, “He is a gentle soul. He doesn’t deserve the pain she has caused him.”

“This is not you, Fey. You are not a murderer.” Dani pleads, knowing she could cross the space between them in a second, but she would be too late.

“This is not murder.” Fey says, with a harsh tone to her voice, “This is penance.” She exhales slowly, brushing the woman’s cheek once more, filling her mind with the feeling of her first orgasm. A moment later, she steps on the electric pedal.

Nikita edges forward, ready to pounce through the window. Dani senses the change in stance and places her hand on her sister’s arm, “The mine will shred anything in that room and probably us, if it goes off and Fey knows it.”

“Jim is the sweetest, gentlest person I have ever known. You brought us together, but he taught me to like myself again.” Fey says, scowling down at the woman in chains before her, “This witch captured his heart and betrayed him. She seduced him with a love that wasn’t real and then she ripped that from him.”

“This will not help him, Fey.” Sasha says gently.

“He will be out for blood, once he gets back with the real Natalie’s body. This way, he doesn’t need to get his hands dirty and he can begin to heal his heart quicker.” Fey says, with a sense of peace.

“What about you? What happens to you?” Nikita asks, gently.

“I get the peace of mind from knowing that, she.” Fey snarls, filling her victim with the sense of loss she felt when her parents died, “She has been punished and I have saved Jim from any further pain and that her actions will no longer pose a threat to the girls.”

“This is not the way...” Dani begins, but is cut off.

“Oh please. You are not in a position to lecture me with all the shit you’ve done. This is nothing compared to how you have lived your life.” Fey retorts sharply, instantly feeling a pang of regret.

“That’s why I can warn you. I have been where you are now. I will have to live with what I have done for a very long time. It is not too late for you.” Dani pleads, edging forward.

“Stop right there.” Fey barks, holding up the dead man switch, “None of you are fast enough.”

“If you let go, it will kill you too.” Nikita says, trying to keep her voice soft.

“That is my insurance to ensure you don’t interfere.” Fey says, coldly, “She has broken no laws to speak of. She will face no justice. This is the penance she deserves.”

“Why does it have to be you that has to deliver that punishment?” Sasha asks, harshly. “She fed them information on all of us. Whilst it is true, she hurt Jim the most, we all have a stake in this. What threat was she to the girls?”

“Her target was Kim and her sisters. Turns out Lupita Carrillo, was a descendant of Timor Arno.” Fey explains, “So was Pilar, the guy Kim killed to save the bus load of hostages in Spain. Apparently, Bernhard said, they were inheritors of the family legacy.”

“What?” Sasha asks, coldly. She stands coiled like a cobra, ready to leap through the glass. “Why are we only finding this out now.”

Fey nods, solemnly, “She was after the girls. She possesses significant intelligence on us all through observation and if she survives, she is a clear and present danger to all of us. Let me do this.”

“Why you?” Dani asks, suspecting the truth. “Why does this matter to you so much?”

Fey steps back onto the electric switch and begins quietly, “I saw a problem and I acted. That is what I do.” She finishes through clenched teeth.

“In Cambodia, you crept into a people smugglers operation and tried to save a young girl. Your instinct is to do the right thing not this.” Nikita says over the howls of the woman.

“Well maybe I have changed.” Fey says taking her foot off of the pedal, to allow her prisoner to recover before the next onslaught.

A look of comprehension washes over Dani’s face before she sighs gently and speaks barely above a whisper, “Hel’s death wasn’t your fault.” She pauses for a moment before continuing, “And it isn’t hers either.”

Fey boils with a mixture of sorrow and rage, “I was less than three minutes away , when she died. If I had stolen a car instead of sticking to stealth, I could have saved Hel and stopped Kim and her sisters from being captured and tortured. Hel gave her life for the girls. I was going to give mine for you all.”

“If I had cleared the safe house faster or gone straight to them, I could have saved Hel too.” Dani admits sadly, “Hindsight is for lessons to be learned or to provide sticks to beat yourself “

“The truth is, its my fault.” Sasha says, calmly, “I insisted Nikita stay to support Liam. If she had gone, she could have located Kim and the girls, found Hel and taken out every hostile combatant in minutes.” Sasha sighs sadly, “But that changes nothing. And let’s be fair, even if we were there, things could have played out the same.”

Fey stands numb, her lip quivering, “She is still dead.”

“And killing in her name, wont bring her back. She wouldn’t want this, neither would the girls. She had her dark moments, but she loved you and wouldn’t want you to express your grief like this.” Dani says, gently.

Fey begins to cry. Softly at first, descending into body wracking sobs. As soon as her eyes are closed, Dani steps across the barrier and skims across the intervening space before emerging.

Fey doesn’t resist when she feels Dani embrace her gently and lets the deadman switch slip from her hand.

Sasha and Nikita try to shout a warning, but they know they are too late.

Dani however, knows that the deadman switch wasn’t plugged in. She pulls her sister close and cradles her head on her shoulder, softly whispering, “She loved you and was very proud of you.”

A few moments later, Fey’s tears subside and she pulls away from Dani. All eyes fall upon the sobbing woman chained on the table.

Each sibling has the same thought, “Now what do we do with you?”

Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Another strong chapter and a sharp contrast after the more quiet ones before. That change of atmoshere works quite well. Finally we learn, why Kim was targeted in the first place.

Pretty intense the following scene, when the three sisters discover that Fey has the intend to kill the Changelling and how Dani and Sasha try to reason with her, to persuade her that killing and torturing her Captive is not the right way. .

This Chapter ends with the important question: What to do now with the Changelling?

Well done, [mention]wolfman[/mention] !
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Good chapter, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. Well done, indeed. I am most fascinated by the Changeling and what you may do with her.
Spy Task Force Completed
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

Time passes strangely for the Changeling. When she is filled with emotion, time stops and she is trapped in the sensation. When she is shocked time, slows to a crawl. In the times between, minutes feel like seconds, as her brain tries to make sense of what is happening to her.

The place within her that let’s her cry is spent and she lays sightlessly, deaf and mute on the bed. Held taut by chains of steel.

“I can’t take any more. I have been tortured before but what that woman did to me is another level.” She shifts uncomfortably on the bed, wishing she was not stretched so tightly.

“She learned everything she needed from my phone. She didn’t need to do this. This is just purely to torment me.” She thinks feeling a quiet sense of dread grow in her, “God knows what else she has in store for me.”

“If i could speak, I would beg for death. I can’t take any more.” She thinks, mournfully.

“We kill her, or let her go. Anything else is just wasting time.” Dani says flatly, “Besides, she has suffered enough.”

“I won’t lie, I have not really asked her anything. She might have useful information.” Fey says, sheepishly.

“Niki? Maybe you could do your thing?” Sasha asks, with a shrug.

Nikita looks up at her sister and simply shakes her head, with a “No.”

Dani rests a hand on Sasha’s shoulder, “That is not really an option, in this case.”

“Oh OK. Is there a problem with her blood?” Sasha asks confused.

Nikita hangs her head and sighs, “No her blood is fine. The problem is that when I taste it, I will experience everything she has.”

“Ah, makes sense. You don’t want to experience what Fey did to her.” Sasha says, understanding.

Nikita winces, “No babe. I don’t want to experience what Jim did to her.”

“Ah.” Sasha says, nodding and then when full realisation hits her exclaims, “Oh no, best leave it.”

“Speaking of Jim, I think he has a right to know that we have found her. Give him a chance to make peace with what she has done.” Dani says, lighting a cigarette.

Nikita opens her mouth to object, but relents. Fey on the other hand, shakes her head wordlessly, with her eyes wide in fear, before pleading, “You can’t. He’ll kill me.”

Jim feels fatigue in every bone of his body as he enters Dani’s house and silently heads up to his room.

He stands at the foot of his bed and takes a deep breath, “I have just spent three hours on a plane with the body of a friend whose image was used to make me fall in love. Why do I feel so numb?”

He slips off his shoes and begins unbuttoning his shirt, starting with the cuffs, “I should feel pain or hurt or something. But there is just nothing there.”

He links his mind with his phone and cycles through the photos of himself and Natalie, remembering each moment. He shakes his head and severs the connection, “No value there.” He thinks, bitterly.

“This impersonator, used Natalie to light a fire in me and nurtured feelings in me so she could spy on those I care about.” He thinks, looking at himself in the mirror. “She used a lie to make me feel something pure and good and betrayed my trust.”

Jim sits cross legged on his bed and closes his eyes, breathing slowly and deeply, as he feels the maelstrom in his mind and begins to quell his troubled thoughts.

The prisoner cautiously tests her new bonds. Heavy wraps of tape secure her to the steel framed chair, at her wrists, forearms, upper arms and her legs from ankle to knee, pinning her arms and legs.

The tape around her stomach and chest pins her body in place. “I am not sure if this is worse than the chains or not.” She muses, testing her bonds. “At least, I have some clothes on.”

Aside from a minimal amount of wriggle room she is immobile and knows she is not getting free on her own.

She opens her now free eyes blinking in the harsh lights of the safe stash. She sighs softly, relieved that the constant pressure on her head and upper face has been removed. “I just wish that they would free my mouth.” She thinks, trying to dislodge the tape wrapped around her mouth, by rubbing it against her shoulder.

She freezes seeing her petite blonde tormentor, Fey. “To think I dismissed her as a threat. I mean on paper all she can do is transfer sensations. But the reality is so different. If I ever get out on this there are a few people in the CIA who would love to get their hands on her.”

The prisoner switches her gaze to the others thoughtfully, “I have seen Snosoti and the forces there. I cannot conceive of a way that they managed to defeat them. They too must have hidden depths to their abilities.”

She relaxes in her restraint and listens as her captors speak and feels herself fill with a mixture of dread and hope as they discuss their next step.

“We need to tell Jim out of everyone, he has the greatest right to know.” Dani says, stubbing out her cigarette.

“He will kill me when he finds out what I have done to her.” Fey pleads, weakly.

“He was always going to find out.” Sasha says, putting her arm around Fey’s shoulder.

“No he wasn’t. I was going to keep her here for another couple of weeks then make her disappear.” Fey admits, sheepishly, “She would never have been found.”

“Damn girl. That’s dark.” Nikita says, surprised, “What would you have said to Jim?”

“Same as I would have said to everyone.” Fey shrugs, “Hel’s death really got to me and I needed some time out.”

“Maybe it’s best he finds out the truth.” Sasha says gently.

“I think he’ll understand.” Dani adds, softening her tone. “He needs a chance to make peace with everything that has happened.”

Fey looks at her captive seeing the fear and desperation in her eyes. She tears her gaze away and nods. “Call him.”

Jim rouses bleary eyed, hearing Nelly Furtado’s Maneater playing on his phone. Sluggishly he reaches across the bed. Feeling a sadness that the woman he loved is not there and picks up his phone, “Niki? You OK babe? We’ve been worried about you guys?” He asks, with the husky voice of a man halfway between sleep and wakefulness.

“Hi Jim. We’re really sorry about Nat....” Nikita begins, but is cut off.

“When you are back, I want you to help me track down who is responsible for her death and suffering.” Jim says, with a flint hard edge in his voice.

The sisters exchange a worries glance and nod to each other after a moments pause. Dani takes a deep breath and speaks softly, “We are at the Hemel safe stash. Fey is here and we have the imposter.”

Jim tightens his grip on his phone, “What? How?” he asked confused.

“I rumbled her and took her on the day she left the note.” Fey says, nervously.

“You took her and said nothing. You kept her from me?” Jim asks, coldly.

“It wasn’t like that Jim.” Fey says, defensively. “I wanted to protect you and the girls.”

Silence echoes on the line. Fey looks at the phone and then looks at Dani for support, “He hung up.”

Dani’s response is swallowed by the massive explosion of the fuse box in the corner of the room. The whole of the stash is filled with powerful arcs of electricity which strike with unerring accuracy.

Jim stalks silently across the floor. The deep caramel of his naked body, illuminated by coruscating arcs of purple and blue.

He steps in front of the imposter and lifts her chin, then allows her head to loll back down, “You look like you have had an ordeal already. I pray you are up to more questions from me.”

He turns to his sisters laying in a heap on the floor, “Sorry about this, but I need to know what’s going on here.” he whispers to no one.

Nikita weakly reaches out to him, whimpering, “Jim.” but he brushes her hand away.

“Sorry babe. I need to stop you from interfering.”, before he sends a powerful arc of electricity from his hand into her chest.

Jim stands and sighs, looking towards heaven. His eyes crackle with electricity and every part of them, even the whites, have turned blue.

slackywacky
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by slackywacky »

I love your writing, although I need a dictionary occasionally...

"illuminated by coruscating arcs of purple and blue"

Illuminated by what? Coruscating? There was an article on YouTube about the fact that people don't use as many words as they used to. Shakespeare had 350,000 thousand words in his vocabulary, most people nowadays have 10 thousand, or at least I think it was numbers like that. Based on this story, you belong to the group of people with a larger vocabulary than most.
Last edited by slackywacky 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment.
Slackywacky, also @DeviantArt

My active stories: Updated story catalog: All my stories
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Wonderful, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. Your writing continues to overwhelm me with its inventiveness, passion, and compassion. You are truly an inspiration.
Spy Task Force Completed
wolfman
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by wolfman »

slackywacky wrote: 1 year ago I love your writing, although I need a dictionary occasionally...

"illuminated by coruscating arcs of purple and blue"

Illuminated by what? Coruscating? There was an article on YouTube about the fact that people don't use as many words as they used to. Shakespeare had 350,000 thousand words in his vocabulary, most people nowadays have 10 thousand, or at least I think it was numbers like that. Based on this story, you belong to the group of people with a larger vocabulary than most.
Sometimes i get bored of using ordinary descriptors and will throw in more unusual ones to change things up. I find sometimes that using these types of language adds a level of granduer when introducing something new.
GreyLord wrote: 1 year ago Wonderful, [mention]wolfman[/mention]. Your writing continues to overwhelm me with its inventiveness, passion, and compassion. You are truly an inspiration.
You too are an inspiration with the intricacy of your writing. I try to keep this tale fresh and new despite its length. There may be a few surprises yet to come.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic