The Files of Art. Inc.: The Hunt for the Lost Scrolls: Chapter 116 (01.04.2024) (FFFF/FFF/ MM/F)

Stories that have little truth to them should go here.
Argentum
Forum Contributer
Forum Contributer

Post by Argentum »

@Caesar73 the master of cliffhangers. Maybe I just should wait till the story is complete, so I don't have hand on from week to week.

Great work, as always my friend.
There always can be a few more ropes.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

You have left us hanging, @Caesar73, as you so often do. I think that I will be happy with the Grand Vizer's plans, when we learn what they are. Anna has demonstrated her powers to Anck-Sun-Amum and has her thoroughly discombobulated. I look forward to the time that they go head to head again.
ImageA List of my stories:
An Unlikely Savior Completed
Spy Task Force Completed
Tale of an Archer Completed
The Bandit Scout on Newhome updated 05/30/23
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

i'll write only this:
I'm all smiles - wonderful chapter!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

GreyLord wrote: 4 months ago You have left us hanging, @Caesar73, as you so often do. I think that I will be happy with the Grand Vizer's plans, when we learn what they are. Anna has demonstrated her powers to Anck-Sun-Amum and has her thoroughly discombobulated. I look forward to the time that they go head to head again.
Guilty as charged Your Honour :) This chapter is important because it lays the foundations for the Final duel between Anna and her Arch Nemesis. Anna is playing a dangerous Game and the Grand Vizier too. One could say that the Russian and the Egyptian are unlikely Allies. But maybe they have denominator in common .... The Violinist walks a thin Line - one might think of what Galadriel says to the Companions "Go astray only a little ...."
LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

Good to see that Anna is VERY much alive and KICKING! Not that she's quite 'out of the woods' just yet!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

LunaDog wrote: 4 months ago Good to see that Anna is VERY much alive and KICKING! Not that she's quite 'out of the woods' just yet!
Yes, definitely kicking :) Like on a chess board all pieces are moving into position. The stage is almost set for the final Confrontation: Call it Ragnarök or Armageddon. Imagine two Trains at High Speed set on collision course.
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

@GreyLord @Bandit666 @banshee @Beaumains @Bigballgag1 @Trammel @wolfman @mrjones2009 @slackywacky @Nainur @Shotrow @TightsBound @Pantyhose971 @TayDay95 @NotSeen @Fandango @LunaDog @Argentum @h6hlh6h @algebrauk

Chapter 98

“The Fortress”

The Western Desert: Night:

Chris´ dromedary glided through the desert. It was one of those dark nights, when countless stars covered the vast dark sky. There was almost no sound. She loved those nights, the silence, the vast emptiness of the desert. The blonde turned in her saddle and looked back:

Directly behind her rode Kate Beckett: Chris was glad to have the seasoned detective on board. She knew that her desire to get back at Anna´s murderer was almost as strong as her own.

Beckett had not hesitated to take the next flight to Egypt when she had learned about Anna´s murder. None of them had: Neither Hayley, nor Kirsty, nor Kate, nor Sarah McKenzie. They all had come. On their free will, only their friendship to Anna had compelled them to come. And Natasha had come too, despite their common history.

And now they were here in the desert on a mission to avenge Anna and to put an end to this cult and it´s mysterious leader. Well, after the interrogations of Shana Al Amari and Hetepheres he was not that mysterious anymore – and Chris would personally end him, decapitate him cut him to pieces – and enjoying every moment of it.

In moments like these, when they rode through the desert, when she had time to reflect, time to think – Chris realized how Anna´s death had touched her, how Anna´s death had opened gates which the blonde had kept close for good reason. This was one more reason why she wanted to get back at their enemy. That he had forced her to unleash her inner demons.

Now more than ever she was thankful for her Sensei´s teachings. They helped her to keep her dark streak at bay – but it was a hard fight. Every day since Anna had died, she had to struggle. At times the grief was overwhelming – but the knowledge that they would avenge Anna gave her strength.

That they had met Shahada had been a stroke of luck – or maybe no luck at all? Chris knew there were many things between heaven and earth which could be not explained by science and rational thinking alone.

Her life-long study of eastern philosophy had taught her that, but to believe in a prophecy which did foretell the appearance of a blonde warrior princess from the icy North with green eyes and wielding a curved blade who was destined to lead the nine Tribes of the Medjai into battle, to end the reign of Evil had been hard.

They all had looked in disbelief at the female Medjai – but then Ardeth Bey´s daughter had fetched a container from her saddle bags, a container which contained a scroll …. Chris remembered when Evie had read the scroll, a look of deep concentration on her face.

Time seemed to trickle through the Hourglass. Her lips moved as she translated the Hieroglyphs. Then she had looked up and looked long at Chris and her Companions.

“This scroll is authentic Chris” she had explained calmly “It is as old as the scrolls we recovered on the Hunt already”.

The Present:

Chris looked at Shahada´s back who rode at the head of the column. The rear guard was formed by Hayley and Kirsty who had taken care of their unwilling captives.

Those two had not posed a problem so far – but neither of them trusted them an inch. If Shana and Hetepheres thought, they would let their guard down? They were sorely mistaken.

“There!” Shahada had turned to Chris and pointed ahead: They were nearing her destination. Their path led upwards in serpentines and on top of a hill in the desert loomed a vast fortress, built of brick: it had been erected by the Egyptians Shahada had told them – by the Pharaoh´s. It´s existence had been a well-guarded secret in antiquity. Now it was the stronghold of the Medjai.

Chris could not see the whole eastern façade of the complex because it was partly hidden by a dune. As they turned the corner, they could see the whole structure. And Chris stopped her stead in amazement. Shielded by two large towers there was the main gate and before the main gate? Chris could not believe what she saw. Goosebumps formed on her skin.

Shahada smiled “You have to go first this is the Medjai´s welcome for you” she said in her heavily accented English. The blonde felt like in a dream as she rode ahead of the column and approached the fortress´ gate: A cordon had formed before it:

Two long lines of riders on horseback in the black garb of the Medjai. Every second rider wore a fire brand, the others gleaming curved glades. It had to be hundreds of them the blonde mused “This has to be a dream” – there was almost no sound: only the cackling of the torches, and the occasional chinking of the horses’ harnesses. Still like statues the Medjai sat on their steads.

At the Gate, at the end of the cordon she could make out a group of ten riders: They too wore the traditional garb of the Medjai and had drawn their sabres, except then man in the centre who was taller than the rest.

Chris raised her left hand to signal a halt to their column. There was moment of silence. In one fluent movement her dromedary kneeled in the sand. Elegantly Chris glided from its back and stood.

The man in centre of the group before her glided out of his saddle and walked at Chris. Two metres before her he stood: The similarity between Shahada and this man was unmistakable: This had to be Ardeth Bey III.

From deep black bottomless eyes, he looked at the blonde, crossed his hands before his chest “As-salamu alaikum” he greeted her in a rich baritone “Wa-alaikum as-salam” Chris returned the traditional greeting in fluent Arabic.

The pianist removed the beige veil which covered her blonde mane and shook it free.

“So, the prophecies have become true Warrior Princess of the North” Ardeth Bey bowed a second time. Instead of an answer Chris drew her Katana out of his scabbard and presented it to him “It seems that way Ardeth Bey” She gripped the blade firmly and executed a complex Kata and bowed again.

Ardeth Bey bowed “Follow me Warrior Princess of the North”.

The Western Desert: The Palace: Anna´s bedroom

Sleep had not come easily this night. The little wheels in Anna´s head had been spinning. In the late afternoon Merit had brought her a handwritten invitation – it had been delivered by a messenger.

It had been a small role of papyrus of high quality - the seal Merit did not recognize. She could only tell it was authentic. The message itself had been written in English, in a clear, elegant hand – the hand of a woman, Anna had suspected. It was short.

“Your Grace!

Meet me in one hour in the Pavilion of the secluded park in the Eastern Wing.

Merit will show you the way. Come alone and tell no one.

This is important.

A friend”

Anna had been tempted very much to throw the papyrus role into the bin. This could very well be another scheme of Anck-Sun-Amun. On the other hand: Would the Egyptian that naïve to believe she would fall for a scheme like this? The Egyptian was many things, but naivety was not among her many flaws, Anna knew.

So, the Russian had gone down to the beautiful park, always at her guard. If this was an ambush he or she was in for a bad surprise. The violinist had carefully watched the Pavilion from a distance for two hours. Hidden in her Garments was a long and sharp bodkin …

A short time before the meeting a veiled woman entered the Pavilion: She was tall and wore the traditional garb of the Egyptian Noble Women. Anna had waited some more minutes but could not detect any signs of surveillance.

She pulled herself together strode at the Pavilion and entered. The mysterious woman stood with her back to her. Slowly she turned – and removed the veil. Anna could not hide her surprise completely “You” “Me” the woman returned. She had seen that face, when she had memorized pictures of important courtiers for her recognition by the Royal Court.

The conversation had been very intriguing … “there might be an opportunity here. It would be highly risky – but if it worked out, this could be a game changer” Anna mused.

Anna had not expected that move – and she doubted very much, the motives of the other side were altruistic. Far from it – the other side wanted to use her, so she would use them too. A grim smile crossed her lips. Her mother had been a good teacher “You would be proud of me mother” Anna grinned “Who would have thought that I would grow fond of a Game of Thrones”.

Now she lay in the dark and waited. She had no idea what was about to happen, but that something would happen was for sure. Anna had to have dozed off – and in hindsight she did not know what had woken her up ….

She sensed a presence in her bedroom, she was not alone “Best to do? Feigning I am still sleeping” In fact Anna still breathed deeply in and out as if she was sleeping still. Every Fibre of her body was energized, her blood pounded in her ears “Anna Romanova you are an idiot. Turning your back to an armed enemy”

Her attacker pounced. If Anna had really slept the curved dagger would have pierced her chest. So, the blade just grazed her left shoulder as she rolled on her back, her assailant lunged again, Anna rolled from the bed, landed hard on the floor scrambled to her feet, as the attacker jumped at her.

Anna was still struggling to find her equilibrium. The next attack got her literally on the wrong foot – but she was not the Anna anymore, she had been eight months ago. The Anna back then would have not been ready for this.

But now she was. She would have murdered Sensei Minoru Genda more than once as he had put her through her paces. When she had thought she could not do one more repetition Genda had said calmly “That was good Anna-San, let us do it again ….”

Anna sidestepped and one step back and sized her attacker up: A woman completely covered in black. Dark eyes drilled in hers – and she charged again.

Anna evaded the blade and hit her attacker, with a right-handed stroke at her chest. The woman stumbled back – but attacked again. The two women fought in near silence. There was only the occasional grunt, the heavy breathing.

The shuffling of feet on the floor, the dagger graced her once more – this time her right under arm. Now Anna was furious “F*ck this” – she moved with incredible speed: Her left heel hit the other woman´s right wrist hard – the dagger flew through the air, the black clad woman grunted – but did not hold back.

Anna evaded the stroke to her head but barely, she hit back. Back and forth. Attack and counterattack. It was a silent perfectly scripted dance. Anna concentrated: It was time. Time to end this – and charged with a combination of kicks and strokes.

Her attack was relentless. Anna had enough: She had been hit by a bomb blast. She was a bird in a golden cage. She was supposed to marry a psychopath. She had been drugged and molested. Should they all rot in hell!

Her attacker did only react now to her onslaught – her reactions got slower. Anna was fitter than her opponent “Thank you Sensei!” she had to smile. Her roundhouse kick of her left leg hit her attackers left head fully.

So much power was behind it the woman was hurled into the air against the sideboard and crashed to the floor. Anna went after her – ready to strike again. But the woman did not stir. She was out stone cold. Anna breathed heavily “Come b*tch! I am not through with you! Get up!”

“Anna what happened?” The Russian whirled round in a fighting stance. In the aftermath Anna thought “I must have looked like hell”: Clad in a skimpy red nightie, which reached barely midthigh, blood dropped from her left shoulder and her right wrist, her eyes blazing with fire. Merit looked at her from wide fearful eyes.

The Russian looked at Merit and back to the woman on the floor “Obviously our common friend the High Priestess could not wait to send me to the afterlife” Her voice dripped with sarcasm. Anna looked down at the still unconscious woman “Let us see who you are” she smiled grimly and knelt down. The Russian pulled the balaclava of the attacker´s head.

“Well, if that isn´t is a surprise” Anna muttered “Lend me a hand Merit” Her Lady-in-Waiting hesitated “Get a grip!” The Russian sounded impatiently “And some rope!” “No” Anna added gleefully “Lots of rope!”

A short while later Merit returned, carrying arms full of rope “Will that suffice Mistress?” Anna smiled broadly “Easily” She selected a length of the coarse sturdy rope and set to work.

With Astonishment Merit watched as Anna restrained the other Woman. Thirty minutes later she looked down on the attacker: This was the most uncomfortable hogtie Anna had ever tied anyone one in: A chicken wing hogtie.

The woman was contorted in the most uncomfortable way. The Russian had relieved her of her shoes and socks – the socks had found their way in the woman´s mouth. Anna had added two pairs of panties to the gag. Her attacker could neither see nor hear her. She had stuffed her ears and blindfolded her tightly.

The Russian had pulled the crotch rope as tight as she could – and with relish. The woman stirred – and tested her bonds. Anna had tied her toes together and tied them to the black braided hair of her opponent “She has not done the first time” Merit mused as she watched as Anna had rendered the woman helpless “Please Anna” she pleaded “Let me take care of your wounds”.

The Russian looked at her wrist and at her shoulder – and sighed “You are right Merit, thank you!” The Adrenaline was still coursing through her mains as she sat down on the chair in the left corner – she stretched her right arm out. Almost absentmindedly she noticed “My hand Merit” “Yes Mistress” the Egyptian inquired “It shivers” Anna shook her head.

Gently Merit took her right hand “Let me help you, Anna!”

Merit disinfected the wounds with a disinfection wipe gently. It felt cool on Anna´s skin and burned, slowly the Adrenaline subsided, her pulse returned to normal, and she pondered the events of the last hour.

The meeting at the Pavilion had borne fruit, so much was clear. Without the warning the attacker might have succeeded. But she had not. The Woman on the floor still tested her bonds. Anna resisted the impulse to kick her – but she could do something different …

“Bring me a feather Merit!” she ordered her Lady-in-Waiting “A feather Anna?” “Yes” Anna smiled “A feather, a large one” The Russian paused “And bring me a stiff drink!”

If Merit was surprised, she didn´t show it. She returned shortly with both: The feather and the drink – a Vodka as Anna found out. The Vodka was perfect. She downed it in one gulp and enjoyed the burning sensation of the potent alcohol.

Anna´s eyes blazed “Huzzah!” she shouted and smashed the Glass on the floor. Standing tall. As she noted the look on Merit´s face she smiled a bit sheepishly “Give me the feather Merit!” The soft wrinkled soles of her captive looked very inviting ….
Last edited by Caesar73 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

So now Anna has a helpless female captive to torment! And yes, a feather duster on her prisoner's feet sounds like a GREAT idea to me!
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

I found esp. the Medjai´s welcome most scenic and catching!
mrjones2009
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by mrjones2009 »

The tension mounts as the pieces fall into place and the various parties make their moves....

What happens next? It will be tremendous whatever it is.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

The tension continues to build. Anna is at her best. Messing with her is a mistake and will not be forgotten soon.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Nainur wrote: 4 months ago I found esp. the Medjai´s welcome most scenic and catching!
Thank you! I liked writing that sequence very much.
@mrjones2009
The tension mounts as the pieces fall into place and the various parties make their moves...
What happens next? It will be tremendous whatever it is.
What do they say? All roads lead to Rome? In this case, two roads are converging at a crossroads. And it is not far.
@GreyLord
The tension continues to build. Anna is at her best. Messing with her is a mistake and will not be forgotten soon.
Correct :) Messing with Anna Romanova is never a good idea - especially when is pissed off. And you can bet, that she is royally pissed off at the moment :)
@LunaDog
So now Anna has a helpless female captive to torment! And yes, a feather duster on her prisoner's feet sounds like a GREAT idea to me!
I would say Anna would concur - and who can hold that against her? Who wouldn´t seek revenge if someone tried to kill them in their sleep? :)
mrjones2009
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by mrjones2009 »

Congrats on bursting through the 300,000 view mark. Well deserved!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

mrjones2009 wrote: 4 months ago Congrats on bursting through the 300,000 view mark. Well deserved!
Thank you! You are too kind - I had to look twice at the Numbers to be sure :) Thank you all for your support, be it just reading this tale or commenting on it. It is possible that the next update maybe on Christmas Eve. So stay tuned. Merry Christmas!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

@GreyLord @Bandit666 @banshee @Beaumains @Bigballgag1 @Trammel @wolfman @mrjones2009 @slackywacky @Nainur @Shotrow @TightsBound @Pantyhose971 @TayDay95 @NotSeen @Fandango @LunaDog @Argentum @h6hlh6h @algebrauk

Chapter 99

“Games”

The Western Desert: The Palace, Anna´s Quarters in the morning:

Anna stretched and yawned. She felt relaxed. The Russian pulled her covers aside and swung her legs out of her bed and put her feet on the floor. Anna flexed her feet and wiggled her toes. She enjoyed the sensation of the lush carpet under her soft soles.

The Russian looked on the floor: Her attacker seemed to have fallen asleep in her chicken-wing Hogtie. Despite the heavy gag Anna thought she was snoring softly “You are in for a rude surprise b*tch!” the Russian smiled

“Merit!” She shouted. Her Lady-in-Waiting stumbled in her room, barely awake “Listen” Anna commanded “Make breakfast, while I am in the bathroom, then you must make me most presentable – for the court. And you must also be dressed for a reception!”

“But why?” Merit yawned “There is no event scheduled in your calendar!”

The Russian smiled “Call it an extracurricular activity!

One hour later Anna eyed herself critically upside and down in the mirror: Merit had assisted in making her presentable. Her Lady-in-Waiting had selected the robes she had dressed her when Anna had received the Grand Vizier at the day after she had awoken after the bomb blast: A pristine white pleated dress, high heeled platform sandals:

Merit had pedicured her toes and put a golden toe ring on the big and the third toe of each foot. Anna was still not accustomed to wearing a wig. But she was getting better.

Today she had to look her level best. On her head she wore the diadem she had worn on the day of her Proclamation. The Earrings were exquisite. Between her breasts rested a beautiful pectoral:

The pectoral depicted Nekhbet―the patron deity of Upper Egypt―in the form of a vulture with outstretched wings and holding a shen ring in each talon.

Anna inhaled deeply “Perfect!” Merit entered the dressing room “Everything is ready Anna” The Russian smiled “You can drive the Chariot Pharaoh has provided me with?” Her Lady-in-Waiting smiled “Of course I can” Anna smiled too “Prepare our guest – and then bring me to the Throne Hall!” A grim smile crossed her lips.

Merit was thorough in preparing their guest: A violet Veil covered the Woman from head to toe. It hid a floor length violet gown, which matched the veil in colour. Veil and gown served a purpose: to hide the fact that the Woman under the Veil was tightly bound and gagged, blindfolded and deaf.

Anna´s Lady-in-Waiting had done a truly professional job: The Woman´s hands were mitted, her wrists and elbows welded together behind her back, the wrist bonds were connected to the very tight knotted crotchrope.

Her legs were tied together directly under the groin and above the knees, her ankles were hobbled. The veil hid a very elaborate gag: Merit had gagged her with three pairs of panties – used ones. The woman´s lower face was hidden under several layers of thick silken scarfs. Above each scarf, the young Egyptian had packed a thick layer of gauze.

Their captive had offered no resistance: The night she had spent in the extremely uncomfortable chicken-wing-hogtie on the floor had worn her down and quelled any will to resist.

Since Anna had been proclaimed Pharaoh´s future Great Royal Wife, she could move relative freely on the grounds. Merit had ordered that Anna´s Chariot was ready. The Russian had been impressed:

The Chariot was pretty similar to those, which had been found in the tomb of Tutankhamun, but not one of those only fit for ceremonies. With it went a pair of beautiful blacks: Arabians, their coats had a shimmering quality.

As Anna, Merit and their guest left the elevator, the two Arabians seemed already to chaff at their reigns. The Russian had donned a heavy crimson red coat, Merit held the veiled woman at her left upper arm.

When they had mounted the Chariot, Merit took the reins while Anna held the veiled woman with her left hand while her right hand rested on the Chariots body. The gilded wood felt warm under her hand. Warm and comforting. What she was about to do, was another move in the Game of Thrones she was playing.

“Off you go Merit!” Anna commanded – and the two Arabs fell first into step, then into a medium canter. Anna enjoyed the cool morning breeze. Merit was a skilled driver and the well trained horses reacted to her smallest signal.

They took the way the Procession had taken three days before. The guards at the Pylons let them pass. Before the Main Entrance of the Central Complex, Merit brought the Chariot to a halt.

Anna, and Merit stepped down, while a servant took the reins. Then the Russian and the Egyptian helped the veiled Woman down. Purposefully Anna strode at the Main Gates. The King´s Guards saluted and let them pass.

The Russian addressed the Commanding Officer, a tall dark-haired man, who radiated authority and greeted her with the customary military salute “To that I could get used to” Anna thought to herself and supressed a smile and acknowledged the salute with a slight nod.

“Where can the Son of Horus, may he live a million years, be found Major?” she addressed him in a tone any Soldier would have recognized: This was not a polite question but a request “In the High Council´s Chamber together with his Excellency the Grand Vizier, and the High Priestess” The Major answered in the tone a Soldier would answer his Commanding Officer The Russian nodded “I need to see the King in a matter of the greatest Urgency – show me the way please Major!” This time she smiled.

If the Officer was in any way surprised, he did not show it, instead he said “Of course, follow me Your Grace” They followed him through the long corridors, which were in design and style like the wings of the Palace Anna already knew. Finally, they stopped before a heavy wooden Door which was guarded by a Detail of four Guard´s Men.

Anna turned to their guide “Thank you Major, you can return to your post now!” The Russian dismissed him, politely but firm. The Officer saluted crisply and turned on the spot and left – his hobnailed boots hammered on the floor.

Anna turned to the Officer commanding the Guard Detail, a Captain “I need to see the Son of Horus, may he live a million years – at once” She had laid all the authority she could muster in her request. The Captain hesitated “Your Grace, I am not sure that is possible – I mean no disrespect Your Grace”.

Anna looked him sternly in the eye “It is possible. Pharaoh will not be pleased if he does not hear what I have to tell him immediately” The Russian smiled still, but her steely undertone was unmistakable. She fixated the Soldier with her dark eyes “I am waiting Captain” Almost pleasantly she added “It will be your head on the block not mine” Officer guped “You may enter Your Grace” Anna smiled “You are too kind” The Russian turned to Merit – “I will call for you”.

Two Guards opened the two wings, while the other soldiers saluted as Anna strode past them and in the Chamber. In design like Pharaoh´s private Quarters its dominant feature was a large rectangular table, made of highly polished black wood. At his head sat Hiram Al Mansour, to his right the Grand Vizier the High Priestess to the left.

The three interrupted their deliberations as Anna entered the Chamber “Interesting” Anna thought “the different reactions” Al Mansour smiled warmly at her, the High Priestess stared at Anna with undisguised hate – and something different: surprise?

The Grand Vizier´s lips curled the smallest of smile – contrary to Anck-Sun-Amun he seemed not surprised in the slightest – his nod at Anna was almost imperceptible “He is very pleased” the Russian thought.

Al Mansour rose “It is always a pleasure to see you my future bride” Anna bowed deep “The pleasure is all mine, my Master and King” stood straight and smiled at him “Why do you Grace us with your Presence?” Pharaoh inquired. And again, Anna found she could not read him, something she found pretty unnerving - “Bloody Bastard” she thought.

Anna straightened herself to her full height “My King!” Her voice rang like a one of those Trumpets, played on her recognition by the Court. “This night an Assassin tried to murder me in my bedroom” Silence greeted this Announcement.

The Russian looked Anck-Sun-Amun in the Eyes “The gods were with me though. I was able to disarm and apprehend the Culprit – this is the Assassin´s weapon!” Anna pulled the curved dagger from under her robes and threw the blade on the table, where it landed with a loud clatter.

Anna noticed that Anck-Sun-Amun looked now decidedly uncomfortable “She wonders if the Assassin has spilled the beans” The Russian turned to the Egyptian and stared down at her:

“This is the kind of dagger used by the Daughters of Isis High Priestess, isn´t it?” Anck-Sun-Amun wanted to respond but Anna cut across “I accuse you Anck-Sun-Amun of attempted murder!” the Russian said sharply, her voice hard like hammered steel.

“This dagger proves nothing!” the High Priestess dismissed the accusation “It seems your new Status has inflated your Ego” A condescending smile curled her lips “If this is all you got ….” She shrugged “This is so boring” The High priestess stifled a yawn.

The Grand Vizier and Pharaoh followed the exchange intrigued “No” Anna smiled ominously “I have irrefutable evidence” She turned to the Soldier standing next to the Entrance Door “Outside my Lady-in-Waiting is waiting with a Witness – show them inside!”

The Guard saluted crisply and opened one wing of the door. Merit and the veiled Woman entered the Chamber, the veiled Woman shuffling along “Come nearer Merit!” Anna bade her, smiled warmly at her. She noticed Merit felt uncomfortable.

As she stood next to Anna Merit sank gracefully to the floor in the customary greeting “You may rise Lady Merit” Pharaoh acknowledged her warmly. The Grand Vizier turned to Anna “Who is this Witness Your Grace!” “Clever bastard” Anna mused “As if you wouldn´t know” “Merit?” she nodded at her Lady-in-Waiting. The Egyptian pulled the Veil away, which covered the woman from head to toe.

Anck-Sun-Amun´s eyes widened as Merit removed the blindfold and the ear buds – but left the gag in place. After the long-time of darkness and silence Sath-Hathor blinked – and her eyes widened in shock as she recognized the people in the room.

“You need any more proof revered High-Priestess?” Anna did not make an effort to hide the sarcasm in her voice “Your second in command acted on your behalf, don´t deny it! The Russian´s voice cracked like a whip “This outrageous act is a stain on my honour! It can only be washed away with blood!” She turned to Ramose “I am within my rights when I demand satisfaction by ritual combat in the Arena? Am I not your Excellency?”

“You cited the law correctly Your Grace” the Grand Vizier said gravely and turned to Al Mansour “O Son of Horus, sacred law demands that the ritual combat has to commence in 48 hours at dawn from now”.

The Egyptian´s face was an inscrutable mask “I cannot read him” Anna thought not for the first time this day. Al Mansur looked long first at Anck-Sun-Amun then at Anna “You are sure about this my bride?” “I am, my Master and King” Anna replied firmly Al Mansur nodded gravely “So shall it be written, and so shall it be done, my Queen” he nodded at Ramose.

He turned to Anna “My bride you are allowed to return to your quarters – we will see each other this evening” Anna bowed deeply “So shall it be my King” She smiled at Anck-Sun-Amun whose face was a mask of fury and bottomless hate “See you in 48 hours if you can make it” and left, followed by Merit.

30 Minutes later Anna was back at her quarters and Merit undressed her “Was that wise Anna?” The Russian shrugged “Future will tell – the Grand Vizier used me to get back at the High Priestess – I used him to thwart her plans. If I succeed, I take out his greatest Enemy for him, and he is in my debt then. It is a Game of Thrones”

As Merit undressed her Anna´s thoughts wandered back to the meeting in the Pavilion yesterday:

“Who are you?” the Russian had asked coolly “I am Merit-Amun, the daughter of Grand Vizier Ramose” the dark haired Woman had replied calmly, Anna detected a haunted look in her eyes “You are also a daughter of Isis” the violinist had seen the signet ring at her right hand of the other woman “What tells me, that this is not a scheme of that b*tch Anck-Sun-Amun?” Anna had looked long at her. And not very kindly, the Russian harboured no sympathies for any member of this cult.

Merit-Amun did not flinch and held eye-contact “I have good reason to hate Anck-Sun-Amun too” she said softly “Let me tell you a story” “I listen!” And Anna had listened. As Merit Amun had ended her account Anna nodded “I understand – and I believe you. What does your father want from me?” And Merit-Amun had told the Russian “So your father kills two birds with one stone” Anna concluded “Tell your father we are in agreement – and Merit-Amun?” The Egyptian looked at Anna “Yes?”

“I will end that b*tch” The Russian´s eyes blazed and her voice sounded as hard as hundred times folded steel” That is a promise” And added kindlier “I know what you are going through believe me”.

“I believe you, Your Grace” Merit Amun bowed. And Ramose´s daughter felt emotions she had almost forgotten: Gratitude and inner peace. She did not know the tall, dark-haired Russian. But Merit-Amun knew two things:

She could trust the other Woman and they had something in common. They both bore scars; the High Priestess was responsible for. Ramose´s daughter had seen the lightning bolt shaped scar above the Russians brow and the fresh bright red one above her breast. Her own Scars – not less deep – were invisible.

But hurt more.

It was poetic Justice, Merit-Amun thought, without knowing Anck-Sun-Amun had forged the band between them – the Russian and the Egyptian – which would be her downfall.

The present:

“What will you do now Anna?” Merit looked at the Russian “I will train now in the Gym; you think of something to make me presentable for Pharaoh” Anna smiled “I will do that – he will be unable to resist you!”
Last edited by Caesar73 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nainur
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by Nainur »

Anna at her best! At her ultimate best! Great stuff.
LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

Nainur wrote: 4 months ago Anna at her best!

Completely agree!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Nainur wrote: 4 months ago Anna at her best! At her ultimate best! Great stuff.
Yes, Anna is playing this deadly Game perfectly and uses the opportunity which presents itself. The Russian is fully aware that the Grand Vizier is using her, so she is using him. The stakes were high already - but they are even higher now: The Stage is set for a fight to the death. Only one of the two Archenemies will leave the Arena alive. Anna will do her best to be the one not to be carried on a stretcher out of the Arena. But in War nothing is for certain.
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

@Nainur said it completely.
Spy Task Force Completed
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

Nainur wrote: 4 months ago Anna at her best! At her ultimate best! Great stuff.
Thank you!

Chapter 100

“Plans”

The Western Desert, the Stronghold of the Medjai around the same time:

Sophie and Evie watched as Kirsty and Sarah introduced a group of Medjai to the use of the modern weapon systems their dromedaries had carried “Sarah and Kirsty are very good this” the Lawyer smiled as the Briton and the Canadians drilled the Medjai “I bet the two will have made some new friends when this day is over”.

Evie watched the Canadian and the Briton “Sophie, do you know if Sarah has some military background?” “Why do you ask?” The Egyptologist shrugged “Pure Interest, I guess” Sophie waited “Kirsty is a highly decorated Soldier” Evie explained “We know that” She paused “And Sarah seems to know what she is doing …”

“Interesting that you ask Evie” Sophie nodded “I did myself ask the same question once” Evie smiled at her lover “And?” The Lawyer smiled “I did ask Sybil to do some digging – I mean deep digging.

Sarah plays her cards even more to her chest than Chris” Evie nodded “That says something” The Egyptologist did not know Chris for a long time – but had already learned, that the Pianist was as close as an oyster when it came to her feelings or emotions. “And what did Sybil find, tell me!” Sophie had to smile, Evie´s natural curiosity got the better of her.

“Sarah has a military background” the dark-haired Woman that looked so much like Sophia Loren replied, “What do I get if I tell you?” She smiled coyly at her lover. Evie pouted “I would be extra nice to you ….” The Lawyer smiled “In that case ….”

She got serious “Sarah has served in the CSOR” “And?” Evie shrugged – obviously clueless “The Canadian Special Operations Regiment, Doofus” Sophie teased her “Special Forces” she added as she saw that Evie still drew a blank “But the interesting thing” the Lawyer continued “Sybil cut not hack the complete file” Evie shrugged “That means?” Sophie smiled “Sybil is World Class Hacker who hacked the Pentagon and got away. Sybil thinks Sarah must have done some serious classified stuff, while in the Army”.

The Egyptologist looked at Sophie than at the Canadian and back …

Sophie changed tack.

She took in the vast complex of the abandoned fortress “For you this must be a dream come true Evie” The Egyptologist shrugged “Naturally. Such a well-preserved fortress is unique. I know no other. There is the fortress of Buhen below the Second Cataract in Sudan – but this complex she gestured at the surrounding walls is much much larger and much better preserved”.

“It has been in use till Roman Times! There is even a bath complex inside!” The Egyptologist beamed at her lover “I can hardly wait to wash off the dust and dirt – and I can think of other things!” Evie Callahan smiled coyly “What could that be?”

Sophie feigned innocence “We will see …”

In the Fortress:

Chris sat together with Kate in Ardeth Bey´s private rooms. The Chief of the Medjai´s English was very good, even if he spoke the language with a heavy accent. The Medjai had welcomed them yesterday with an opulent feast – Chris had attended. Skipping the Event had not been an option – for the “Warrior Princess of the North”.

The Pianist had done her best to cover her pain under a veil of ostensive Cheeriness – but Ardeth Bey had sensed her Grief. As a Gentleman he just did pretend not to see it. And Chris had been grateful for that display of courtesy.

She concentrated again. Keeping her focus was difficult these days. Chris knew it and hated herself for this weakness. The decisive battle was looming at the Horizon. There was not much room for Error. She had to get a grip. And soon. What had happened when they ambushed the Daughters of Isis in the Desert couldn´t happen again. The Medjai, her friends relied on her.

Chris focused on the Meeting again, Chris could tell, the Medjai had noticed her laps of Concentration. Decisively she shoved any Distraction aside.

“We have informants in the Palace” the Medjai just explained “So we know pretty much what is going on. Together with the intelligence you brought with you, we know enough, to make a plan of attack – the latest reports we got tell us that in forty-eight hours there will be a duel to the death in the Arena. The Arena is located outside the main gates. The duel is scheduled at dawn – if we attack then, the surprise and chaos will be total”.

Chris and Kate exchanged a look “Sounds solid” the American said, “Do you know who will fight in the duel?” Ardeth Bey shook his head “No, only that it will be two high ranking members of the devil´s court – very high-ranking members” He added.

“It doesn´t really matter” Chris shrugged “Another thing Ardeth Bey!” the blonde added thoughtfully - she had pondered the question for a while now “The Medjai will fight then under my command Ardeth Bey? Will they fight under the command of a woman?”

The Leader of the Medjai smiled “There are female Medjai´s as you know – but you are right, there might by some reservations among some of my men – there is an easy way to convince them though” A mischievous smile crossed his serene features.

A smile which Chris found … intriguing. At a different place and a different time, she would have seen an opportunity here. But this was not the time. So, Chris just asked:

“Which is?” the blonde´s eyebrows rose “You will fight three of my best men this in the evening – preferably without loss of limb on their part, that should suffice” Ardeth Bey smiled.

Chris smiled back “I will be careful. I cannot guarantee though that their pride will not get hurt” “Humility is good for the soul – Allah says” the Medjai returned with a sanctimonious little smile.

The blonde grew serious “We have a problem at our hands though – what do we do with Shana when this is all over? The Chancellor´s daughter we take with us, but her?” Ardeth Bey´s face grew heard “Let the desert do its justice”.

“I will have to think about it – I despise a traitor, but I am not a cold-blooded Killer” the blonde stated firmly.

Kate chanced a glance at Chris: Something was on Chris´ mind. She had asked that question for a reason …

Outside in the desert at the training field:

“Those guys are pretty good” Kirsty observed. The Briton and the Canadian demonstrated the handling of the FGM 148 Javelin to a group of selected Medjai “Yep” The Black Lady nodded “They got the knack of it pretty quick – they should be ready when we attack”.

The training with the 81 mm portable mortars had gone also well – Kirsty should know: “Davy Crockett” her comrades in Afghanistan had dubbed her for her skill with the weapon, which was perfect for their purpose.

“There are some pretty good marksmen among them” the Briton looked at the Medjai training with the McMillian TAC 50. No problem had been the use of the Negev NG 7 machine gun, firing the 7,62 x 51 mm NATO Cartridge.

In the morning Chris, Kirsty and Sarah had worked out a plan of attack together with the leaders of the Medjai – based on the Intelligence they had gathered: Interestingly enough, only the Eastern Wall of the Compound had been fortified with towers.

Six altogether with the two guarding the Gates, outside the walls was the Arena, which had been modelled after Roman templates.

“The towers have to go” Kirsty had concluded after a look on the plans and photos. The details they would work out in the next two days “We will attack in 48 hours at dawn” Chris had ended the meeting.

She rose quickly and left – without looking back.

Kate looked after her. She sensed something she just could not place yet. If she had to guess? The Pianist had just made an important decision. But what about?

The Western Desert: The Palace, the Training Field:

Anna stepped into the glistening sun on the Training Field. Her oiled body glistened in the Sun. She wore a bronze cuirass above a gleaming white tunic, bronze bracelets at her wrists, hobnailed sandals, and bronze greaves.

Her long dark tresses she had bound in a firm ponytail. The cuirass fitted perfectly – by now Anna was not really surprised anymore, just annoyed. That Al Mansour had gone to the trouble to obtain all her measurements? It was unnerving and creepy.

Anna touched the Cuirass at the Place where the barely healed wound was. The polished Metal felt warm under her touch. The fresh scar above her left breast she had bolstered with gauze again. Now Anna was thankful for the excellent Treatment of Pharaoh´s Physician and her good Genes: She healed quickly, ever had.

The Grand Vizier had informed her about the Rules of Engagement. Her “Ally” had visited her personally – which surprised Anna. Ramose could have just sent a Messenger. “Obviously he wants to get a lay of the land personally” Anna thought. He had been polite and even courteous – but the Russian did not allow herself to be fooled. Too much was at stake here: Her life and that of any other Soul on the Planet.

This he had explained to her:

The Rules for the Ritual Combat stated that each Combatant had the right to use the Training Field. Training was open to the public. As accused Party Anck-Sun-Amun had had the right to select the weapons, each opponent could use.

The High Priestess´s choice had been conservative: Spear, Sword, Battleaxe and bow. Anna took the bow from the rack: It was a composite bow, which had been in use by the Ancient Egyptians in Antiquity.

She weighed the Weapon: It was perfectly balanced. The Target had been placed 20 Meters away. The Russian knew that a lot of eyes rested on her. Her hands glided above the string. Anna selected an arrow. Its tip – made of tapered steel - glittered in the sun.

The violinist nocked the arrow. Anna breathed in deeply and pulled the string far behind her right ear. She blended all sensations out, concentrated on the target only. She let loose. With a soft thud the arrow hit its target. Anna set the bow down: She had hit the target perfectly.

The Violinist fired three more arrows in quick succession: The four arrows formed a neat bundle in the centre “Double the distance” Anna ordered. The two soldiers looked dubiously at her “Double the distance” Anna repeated calmly. She heard the excited whispers around her and watched as the target was moved backwards.

The Russian selected four more arrows “Watch this, Anck-Sun-Amun!” Anna smiled grimly. She fired the four arrows in quick succession, but with a twist she had shot two times only. Both times two arrows at once “Check the target!” she ordered one soldier. The Guard walked to the target, checked twice, and returned to the shooting line. His face bore a look of deep fascination “Your Grace” he bowed deeply “This was the most perfect shooting I have ever seen”.

Anna returned the bow “Thank you!” She turned to the audience and spotted Anck-Sun-Amun in the crowd. Anna´s dark eyes drilled into those of her opponent, and she smiled: This battle was not only fought with real weapons but in the head also. And Anna was pretty sure she had scored a hit.

She turned to the Drill Sergeant supervising the training: “Bring the Spear!”

The Western Desert, the Stronghold of the Medjai, a Cell:

Shana stared at the northern Wall of her cell: As soon as they had arrived at the Medjai Stronghold, they had been left out of the bags – and transferred to this cell: They had been allowed to clean themselves up, fed and watered.

Their handlers had even allowed them to exercise. But her handlers had always been watchful and never let them out of their sight: They had been manacled at ankles and wrists – when inside their cells.

Hetepheres´ spirit had obviously been broken. Her expression had been sullen. The younger woman had been resigned to her fate it seemed. The Egyptian had tried to get through to her fellow Daughter of Isis. But with no success.

Maybe the High Priestess had overestimated Hetepheres. Though Shana had to admit that the Renegade had done a good job – till to that fateful Moment at Aswan. Where von der Marwitz and her People had played them so cleverly – and mercilessly.

Shana stood and began to pace the floor. She was restless. Hot hate boiled in her – but she had to give their Enemies their due: Never had they left her an Opening. And the Medjai hadn´t either.

The Medjai had made it clear, that they harboured no sympathy for them. Shana knew she had to bide her time. She had no idea where she was precisely. To escape the cell was one thing, to get through the desert to the Palace an entirely different thing. The odds were not in her favour … she hit the Wall with her right fist – hard. And supressed a course. Hetepheres didn´t even look up, just starred on the Ground.

A commotion outside interrupted Shana´s musings. The Medjai guarding the cell saluted: The cell door opened, and Chris von der Marwitz entered. Shana had not seen the pianist in the last days: The blonde looked calm and composed her eyes clear. She wore her blonde mane openly – and her desert khaki. With a fluid motion she sat down in the lotus seat.

Calmly she looked at Shana. Long.

When she finally spoke, she sounded as calm as she looked “You know Shana I was severely tempted to put a bullet in your head or leave you in the desert to rot. But that is more the style of you and your lot”.

Her contempt was obvious.

“Some things I will never forgive myself. That I trusted you is one of them” The Pianist paused her Gaze never leaving Shana´s face “Anna´s Instincts were better than mine. She doubted your loyalties from the start – I should have listened to her.”

The Egyptian replied nothing. There was something in the Air Shana could not place. She was certain of one thing:

She sensed the blonde had not just come to gloat “Ardeth Bey suggested, letting the desert work its justice. That would be the easy way. But that is not my style. I am no sadist like you”. Shana was surprised: She expected some emotion, rage – but von der Marwitz spoke as cooly and controlled as if she was delivering a lecture about Chopin. Her beautiful features were calm and serene, gave nothing away. Her emerald-green-eyes drilled into hers.

“You don´t deserve it but I will offer you a chance though: As I know, the Daughters of Isis are skilled with the Khopesh. Why don´t we leave it to the gods? You fight me this evening in single combat – to the death. You beat me - you go free, wherever you want. You have my word”.

“And I should believe you?” An arrogant smile crossed the Egyptian´s face “Well” Chris smiled back “The double crossing, deceiving, and lying is more your style. I prefer a straighter forward approach – as you should know by now. I stand to my word. Always.”

Shana glared at her, constraining herself. Rage filled her. That blonde claiming the moral High ground – too bad the bomb blast at Luxor had not killed her too. The Pianist seemed to sense her agitation:

“Ouch” Chris smiled “That hit home” She continued “I live by a code of honour, by the way of bushido. I know that this concept is foreign to you, the concept of honour itself. You have none” The Pianist paused “Sensei Nakamura would despise a Ronin, and that is what you are: A Ronin” Chris smiled coldly, her disgust was obvious “But I offer you a chance: Take it or leave it. I have arranged for you to train and exercise”.

Shana just stared at her – her face an inscrutable mask. Minutes passed.

Chris rose “I will have your answer in 30 Minutes” and turned to leave “Wait!” Shana called her back “I will fight you!” The blonde turned and smiled – a cold smile that did not reach her eyes - “See you later then!”

“You will do what?” The Black Lady asked Chris later “I will give her an honest chance – to go out like a hero” the blonde said simply “Ardeth Bey said a demonstration would be best – and a duel to the death will do the trick”.

The thief looked long at the pianist: Chris had almost spoken emotionless “You are sure about your motives Chris?” The Canadian paused “I do not judge you; I understand you” The pianist nodded “I know” And I am sure, as sure as I can be” She returned the Thief´s scrutinizing gaze calmly “So be it then” Sarah McKenzie acknowledged calmly. Chris turned swiftly on her heels and left. The Canadian looked long after her.

“I hope you are right, Chris”.
mrjones2009
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by mrjones2009 »

No plan survives first contact with the enemy....

Like a great orchestra playing a symphony this story is building to a crescendo
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

You are rapidly building to your grand climax, @Caesar73. This is a most enjoyable read.
Spy Task Force Completed
LunaDog
Centennial Club
Centennial Club

Post by LunaDog »

GreyLord wrote: 4 months ago This is a most enjoyable read.
SECONDED!
Caesar73
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by Caesar73 »

mrjones2009 wrote: 4 months ago No plan survives first contact with the enemy....

Very true. Clausewitz calls that the fog of war. Indeed the Hunt is nearing its climax. What I can tell about the Final: It has epic Proportions :)
GreyLord
Millennial Club
Millennial Club

Post by GreyLord »

Caesar73 wrote: 4 months ago
mrjones2009 wrote: 4 months ago No plan survives first contact with the enemy....

Very true. Clausewitz calls that the fog of war. Indeed the Hunt is nearing its climax. What I can tell about the Final: It has epic Proportions :)
And, @Caesar73, I have every confidence in the world that the climax will be epic, indeed!
Spy Task Force Completed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic